Author Topic: Manual solder paste dispenser - recommendations?  (Read 10823 times)

Online ebastlerTopic starter

• Super Contributor
Manual solder paste dispenser - recommendations?
« on: May 30, 2021, 08:13:17 am »
I have used conventional soldering irons or stencil/solder paste/hot air for SMD soldering so far. But do occasionally find myself in situations where neither approach works well -- especially during repair and rework, when I need to fit a component in between other components which are already populated.

I would like to add a simple, manual solder paste dispenser to my toolkit for this purpose. This has probably been discussed here before, but I could only find references to more complex, motorized units in older threads.

The one below looks plausible due to its simple mechanism (no slack, easy syringe exchange, I would hope). Does anyone have experience with it? Or can you recommend a different commercial device? Thanks!

https://www.tindie.com/products/avandalen/disper-micro-dot-solder-paste-syringe-dispenser/

Edit: Here's another, similar unit. It might be an advantage in this design that the syringe body always stays in the same position, independent of filling height. But it needs a custom syringe (with serrated plunger rod). It seems geared towards dispensing somewhat larger volumes, i.e. strands of paste rather than individual dots? Any reports from first-hand experience are much appreciated!

https://eleshop.eu/jbc-dpm-a-manual-paste-dispenser.html
« Last Edit: May 30, 2021, 09:01:58 am by ebastler »

Offline wickated

• Frequent Contributor
Re: Manual solder paste dispenser - recommendations?
« Reply #1 on: May 30, 2021, 08:20:13 am »
solder pastes in tech syringes work good with plunger and as thin as insulin needles.  :-//

• Super Contributor
« Reply #2 on: May 30, 2021, 08:29:02 am »
solder pastes in tech syringes work good with plunger and as thin as insulin needles.  :-//

Thanks for the reply, but I am not sure I understand your point. Do you mean you just use the bare syringe + tip, and push directly on the plunger with your thumb? In my experience it is difficult to dose reproducibly that way. Also, pushing without any additional leverage becomes quite strenuous, especially when using thin tips with a lot of resistance.

Or did you have something else in mind? -- Also, what is a "tech syringe"? Just the one you buy the solder paste in?

Offline thinkfat

• Supporter
  • This is just a hobby I spend too much time on.
    • Matthias' Hackerstübchen
« Reply #3 on: May 30, 2021, 08:59:54 am »
Not that I particularly recommend it, but JBC has solder paste dispenser similarl to the one shown in your picture. I've been using it for a while and it is way more precise than just squeezing out the paste with your thumb. The main drawback is that the typical paste syringes don't fit. They sell their own (empty) syringes and you have to fill them with paste by yourselves. That's a bit inconvenient.
Everybody likes gadgets. Until they try to make them.

• Super Contributor
« Reply #4 on: May 30, 2021, 09:04:38 am »
Thanks, thinkfat! I was editing my original post to add a link to the JBC unit while you were posting.  :)

How well does the JBC dispenser work for dispensing small dots of paste -- say for individual 0402 pads?

Offline thinkfat

• Supporter
  • This is just a hobby I spend too much time on.
    • Matthias' Hackerstübchen
« Reply #5 on: May 30, 2021, 01:52:48 pm »
Well, it's still a manual tool and a lot of the precision is still "in your hands". It's just easier to dose the force. From experience, 0603 isn't a problem, 0402 is outside of my realm. It also depends a lot on the paste itself. Wet paste seems to be easier to work with than dry paste.

The problem is mostly having the paste sticking to the pad and then "break off" when you lift the syringe instead of pulling off the pad. That challenge will remain the same. What has always helped me here is to heat up the board to maybe 50°C or so, with a bottom heater or just hot air. This usually allows the paste to just wet the pad and stick.
Everybody likes gadgets. Until they try to make them.

The following users thanked this post: ebastler

Offline wickated

• Frequent Contributor
« Reply #6 on: May 30, 2021, 03:04:01 pm »
push directly on the plunger with your thumb?

Or did you have something else in mind? -- Also, what is a "tech syringe"? Just the one you buy the solder paste in?
lol no. no thumbs were hurt.

yep, syringe not applicable for reuse with liquids

p.s. also u can make some DIY :-DD

and some cyberdyne technologies

« Last Edit: May 30, 2021, 03:15:03 pm by wickated »

• Super Contributor
« Reply #7 on: May 30, 2021, 03:22:49 pm »
push directly on the plunger with your thumb?
lol no. no thumbs were hurt.

I still don't get your point, I'm afraid. That syringe in the photo is just the syringe one buys the solder paste in -- "Mechanic" brand solder paste in this case. And the guy does push the plunger directly with his thumb. Besides, it is obviously a staged photo, with ridiculous white gloves and the soldering iron directly on the paste (without the luxury of adding an actual part to be soldered).  ::)

So what is your actual recommendation? Do you have first-hand experience with solder paste dispensing?

Offline wickated

• Frequent Contributor
« Reply #8 on: May 30, 2021, 04:13:18 pm »
So what is your actual recommendation? Do you have first-hand experience with solder paste dispensing?
with both flux and solder pastes yes. there is no total difference in manual or robotic dispensing exept of repeatability, for big surfaces you anyway should use template.
with metal plunger you dont get solder leaks from nozzle after you put it off

just did some taps, i think its just a matter of skill. you know there is always a korean that do it better.
« Last Edit: May 30, 2021, 04:24:08 pm by wickated »

Offline I_Saldana

• Contributor
« Reply #9 on: May 31, 2021, 06:08:56 am »
I am frankly more interested in a needle cap.
A needle is fine for when you have to do a few pcb's, but when you have some repair work to do there is more paste gone from cleanup and stuck in the needle than one actually used.

As for this.. humm... thinking about ready made off the shelf solutions..

have you looked into this?

google image this:
dentist composite dispensing gun

1223683-0
1223685-1
« Last Edit: May 31, 2021, 06:30:35 am by I_Saldana »

Offline I_Saldana

• Contributor
« Reply #10 on: June 01, 2021, 09:15:10 pm »
Just bought this as a novelty. I expect it to be shite.
Maybe it will extend the shelf life of aging paste where trying to squeeze it through manually no longer works.
https://www.aliexpress.com/item/1005002527239455.html

• Super Contributor
« Reply #11 on: June 02, 2021, 04:39:38 am »
Maybe it will extend the shelf life of aging paste where trying to squeeze it through manually no longer works.

It looks well-made. How is it meant to be used? Is the idea to hold it in your fist, with the thumb slowly turning the thumbscrew all the time to dose the paste? Or to use your other hand to operate the screw?

Offline I_Saldana

• Contributor
« Reply #12 on: June 02, 2021, 09:10:22 am »

It looks well-made. How is it meant to be used? Is the idea to hold it in your fist, with the thumb slowly turning the thumbscrew all the time to dose the paste? Or to use your other hand to operate the screw?

I have been thinking about exactly that throughout the evening yesterday. I will keep you informed on how(literally) it performs when I get it. fist with slow thumb movement seems a viable option yes.. But to anyone who caulks it should be obvious this thing will keep at it until you turn the wheel the other side. I am hoping for at the very least some chuckles for my 8 €.

Edit:
Maybe tightening it completely gives the option to squeeze the actual syringe enough for a mm or 2 of paste to come out very precisely. Then tightening it again.. *shrug*
« Last Edit: June 02, 2021, 10:08:59 am by I_Saldana »

Offline oz1sqt

• Contributor
« Reply #13 on: June 22, 2021, 08:55:40 am »
I just bought the one from JBC you showed as example, i thought it was a bit expensive, but now I'm in love.

https://eleshop.eu/jbc-dpm-b-manual-paste-dispenser.html

It, is easy to dose without much pressure, and you can adjust further via changing size on the needle/tip - And it seems more simple, than many other more or less DIY solutions. 

• Super Contributor
« Reply #14 on: June 22, 2021, 10:02:38 am »
I have bought the 3D printed dispenser from Albert van Dalen (first picture in my OP) in the meantime. It was shipped very quickly from the Netherlands. Dosing the solder paste works well and the unit is a handy size, with a short hand-to-tip distance.

But clamping the filled syringe into the white holder is quite awkward: There is no good way to pull back and hold the spring while one tries to clip in the syringe. The brass thread insert for the adjustment screw protrudes a bit on the inside of the white bracket, and gets in the way when one tries to slide the spring-loaded plunger into its position. And the spring seems stiffer than necessary. -- I'll experiment with a weaker spring, and an additional spring retainer/washer to get a better hold on the spring while clipping in the syringe.

Offline I_Saldana

• Contributor
« Reply #15 on: June 25, 2021, 03:02:47 pm »
Today the thing arrived.
As soon as I have a QFN to solder I'm taking pictures.
It is heavy though.. but that was to be expected.

Offline SteveyG

• Supporter
  • Soldering Equipment Guru
« Reply #16 on: July 07, 2021, 11:24:48 pm »
The JBC DPM-B is definitely worth considering. I normally use a Metcal DX dispenser, but sometimes you want the manual control.

It's a shame it doesn't accept larger syringes directly, but it's simple enough to decant some into one of the provided syringes.

1234339-0" alt="" class="bbc_img" />
YouTube Channel: https://www.youtube.com/user/sdgelectronics/
Use code: “SDG5” to get 5% off JBC Equipment at Kaisertech

The following users thanked this post: Chendy

Online helius

• Super Contributor
« Reply #17 on: July 08, 2021, 04:35:14 am »
You can browse the catalogs of industry tool suppliers, they have several types of manual applicators for solder paste.

Here are some examples:

The following users thanked this post: Chendy, FrankE

• Super Contributor
« Reply #18 on: July 08, 2021, 05:25:22 am »
Thanks @helius, that is quite a selection indeed. Have you used this style of dispenser to dispense small individual dabs of paste to SMD pads? They all look like they were designed for dispensing larger volumes?

(At least for me, a pistol grip offers less positioning accuracy than the pen-type design. And the "trigger" levers also seem designed to move the syringe's plunger by macroscopic distances each time you press them. I assume these are made to e.g. dispense solder paste onto a stencil or such, rather than the direct "one droplet per pad" dispensing I am after.)

@SteveyG -- thank you for the vote for the JBC. I might shell out some money for that one, since the 3D-printed dispenser which I got remains rather fiddly to set up.

Online DavidAlfa

• Super Contributor
« Reply #19 on: July 08, 2021, 08:33:21 am »
Last week I thought about this when my solder paste dried and was hard as hell to squeeze out!
This seems a nice motor. Encoder output, fine thread, high reduction ratio and fits inside the syringe!
https://www.aliexpress.com/item/1005001785275240.html

I don't think I'll use a 18650 heavy monster there. Maybe something small like 10180 or 14250.

I was making some calcs. Given the 16mm plunger (201mm²),  the motor has 0.35mm thread, 240 reduction ratio.
For each complete rpm, the syringe would pull out 0.35*201 = 70mm³ of paste.
The average 0805 pad size is 1.3*0.7m= ~1mm². Let's say you put 0.5mm height of paste, it would be ~0.5mm³ of paste.
0.5/70=0.07rpm required.
With 240 reduction = 1.71 motor turns.

I don't know the resolution of the encoder, but it seems it will require a really fine control. Plus retraction to avoid spilling.
« Last Edit: July 08, 2021, 09:15:42 am by DavidAlfa »
Hantek DSO2x1x            Drive        FAQ          DON'T BUY HANTEK! (Aka HALF-MADE)
Stm32 Soldering FW      Forum      Github      Donate

Offline LordXaos

• Contributor
« Reply #20 on: July 27, 2021, 11:30:04 am »
After reading this thread I dared fetch me the JBC DPM dispenser, and after giving it a quick first try I am not at all disappointed. The amount of paste dispensed can be very well controlled, and it can be aimed very precisely.

It might not be the cheapest choice, but then those pre-filled single-use syringes are not exactly cheap either, and getting a proper dose out of those directly I found virtually impossible.

The following users thanked this post: Chendy

Offline ygoe

« Reply #21 on: August 08, 2021, 10:08:32 am »
Hello,

I came to this place because I also found the JBC DPM dispenser and were looking for some reviews of it. This sounds good and I'll probably get one of them, too.

Now there are two models as far as I can see: DPM-A and DPM-B. I'm not sure what the difference between them is. Can the DPM-B hold larger syringes? I'd see if I can get one of the Chip Quik TS391LT, which should have a good alloy, low melting temperature, and slightly different model numbers have received good reviews. It also says it has a long storage period when used. The syringe contains 15 g and it also says "5 cc". Google says that means "5 ml". Could I put that directly into the DPM-B (or -A) or will I have to fill some of it into a syringe provided with the JBC tool?

If somebody has a better recommendation for a solder paste, please let me know. It has to be lead-free.

I already did some SMD hand-soldering on self-designed PCBs (down to 0805 and 1.27 mm pitch) but have no experience with solder paste and reflow soldering yet. I figured I need to move on to that process to handle certain components I need for my hobby projects.

Offline Psi

• Super Contributor
« Reply #22 on: August 08, 2021, 10:21:28 am »
Do you mean you just use the bare syringe + tip, and push directly on the plunger with your thumb? In my experience it is difficult to dose reproducibly that way. Also, pushing without any additional leverage becomes quite strenuous, especially when using thin tips with a lot of resistance.

That's what most people do.

Note, if you are having issues requiring too much force, then your dispensing needle is probably to small or you are using solder paste with a large ball size. A smaller syringe is also an option.

As others have posted there are automatic and motorized options but unless you are planning on doing this all day its probably not worth it.

I suspect those manual hand-tools that hold a syringe will be hard to position due to the hand grip being to far away from the dispensing end. but the one in your first pic looks like it would be fine.
« Last Edit: August 11, 2021, 08:11:56 am by Psi »
Greek letter 'Psi' (not Pounds per Square Inch)

Offline SteveyG

• Supporter
  • Soldering Equipment Guru
« Reply #23 on: August 08, 2021, 12:51:03 pm »
Hello,

I came to this place because I also found the JBC DPM dispenser and were looking for some reviews of it. This sounds good and I'll probably get one of them, too.

Now there are two models as far as I can see: DPM-A and DPM-B. I'm not sure what the difference between them is. Can the DPM-B hold larger syringes? I'd see if I can get one of the Chip Quik TS391LT, which should have a good alloy, low melting temperature, and slightly different model numbers have received good reviews. It also says it has a long storage period when used. The syringe contains 15 g and it also says "5 cc". Google says that means "5 ml". Could I put that directly into the DPM-B (or -A) or will I have to fill some of it into a syringe provided with the JBC tool?

If somebody has a better recommendation for a solder paste, please let me know. It has to be lead-free.

I already did some SMD hand-soldering on self-designed PCBs (down to 0805 and 1.27 mm pitch) but have no experience with solder paste and reflow soldering yet. I figured I need to move on to that process to handle certain components I need for my hobby projects.

DPM-B is the newer version and accepts two different syringe sizes.
YouTube Channel: https://www.youtube.com/user/sdgelectronics/
Use code: “SDG5” to get 5% off JBC Equipment at Kaisertech

The following users thanked this post: Chendy, ygoe

Offline sleemanj

• Super Contributor
  • Professional tightwad.
    • The electronics hobby components I sell.
« Reply #24 on: December 02, 2021, 10:48:19 pm »
I took some inspiration from the Tindie one linked in the first post, and another one which also was inspired by it, and created an easily 3d printable version that simply uses an elastic band for the retraction tension. 

The lever gives about 10mm of plunger travel, about 0.2cc, as with the other designs it has multiple steps if you want to refil less often, just move it backwards a couple notches when the lever runs out of travel.

Waiting on some fresh solderpaste so havn't actually tried dispensing with it yet, but as long as the elastic can give enough pull to retract, I don't see why it wouldn't work, the lever can exert plenty of force.

If you have a 3d printer it should take you an hour or two to print and a couple of M3 screws at least 30mm long.

https://www.thingiverse.com/thing:5153474

Obviously you'd want to use a dispensing tip on it :)
~~~
EEVBlog Members - get yourself 10% discount off all my electronic components for sale just use the Buy Direct links and use Coupon Code "eevblog" during checkout.  Shipping from New Zealand, international orders welcome :-)

The following users thanked this post: edavid, ebastler

Share me

Digg  Facebook  SlashDot  Delicious  Technorati  Twitter  Google  Yahoo
Smf