Author Topic: Metcal and Hakko compatibility  (Read 2156 times)

Offline lukegoTopic starter

• Frequent Contributor
Metcal and Hakko compatibility
« on: September 15, 2020, 08:32:57 pm »
Can all Metcal MX series stations and handpieces be used interchangeably with Hakko FX-100/1001/1002?

I would like to attach a Hakko FX-1002 handpiece to a Metcal MX 500 PSU (2018 vintage.) Is that going to work? Any gotchas?

I've read that all Metcal MX 500/5000 handpieces are backwards and forwards compatible, and that Hakko work with MX5000, and I'm wondering if it follows transitively that these series are all interchangable.

Online thm_w

• Super Contributor
  • Non-expert
Re: Metcal and Hakko compatibility
« Reply #1 on: September 15, 2020, 09:35:56 pm »
« Last Edit: September 15, 2020, 09:42:47 pm by thm_w »
Profile -> Modify profile -> Look and Layout ->  Don't show users' signatures

The following users thanked this post: lukego

• Frequent Contributor
« Reply #2 on: September 17, 2020, 06:38:45 pm »
http://kb.hakkousa.com/Knowledgebase/10637/Can-I-use-my-HAKKO-FX1001-Soldering-Iron-Handpiece-and-T31-Series-Tips-with-my-Metcal%C2%AE-Power-Supply

Thank you very much for your reply and the reference to this statement from Hakko that is a bit more explicit than the ones I'd seen before. I have the strong impression now that all the handpieces (though not the tips) are compatible between Metcal MX and Hakko FX-100* induction irons.

Next I'll try connecting a Hakko FX-1002 with a Metcal MX500 and hope it doesn't blow smoke  8)

The following users thanked this post: thm_w

Offline kawal

• Regular Contributor
« Reply #3 on: September 22, 2020, 11:30:30 am »
Should work based on Hakko information and based on the fact that both use the same principle.  The original patent from Metcal has expired that is why Thermaltronics and Hakko now make these HF systems.  All use the same F type connector.

The following users thanked this post: lukego

• Frequent Contributor
« Reply #4 on: September 22, 2020, 02:19:56 pm »
Today my Metcal MX500 (2018) and Hakko FX-1002 arrived. I can confirm that they are compatible.

I can't introduce them into my lab yet because the Metcal PSU refuses to start having correctly detected that my power source there is not grounded! |O |O |O Getting an electrician out ASAP.

Online thm_w

• Super Contributor
  • Non-expert
« Reply #5 on: September 22, 2020, 08:53:23 pm »
Today my Metcal MX500 (2018) and Hakko FX-1002 arrived. I can confirm that they are compatible.

I can't introduce them into my lab yet because the Metcal PSU refuses to start having correctly detected that my power source there is not grounded! |O |O |O Getting an electrician out ASAP.

Thats nice to see the feature. I was using PS2 on ungrounded outlet (not intentionally), surprised it didn't fry anything. Was getting zaps from it.
Profile -> Modify profile -> Look and Layout ->  Don't show users' signatures

• Frequent Contributor
« Reply #6 on: October 05, 2020, 02:40:40 pm »
Occasionally when I am using the Hakko FX-1002 handset my Metcal MX500 PSU will say "Non Confirming Cartridge Detected. Contact Metcal." and tell me to reboot.

Metcal docs (https://www.manualslib.com/manual/1281662/Metcal-Mx-500.html?page=11) say this error means that the tool is drawing more current than it is allowed.

The trigger seems to be when I activate the FX-1002 while holding the tool in my hand. I suspect that rising straight from room temperature to the 400C target is exceeding the current limit of the PSU.

Workaround is to make sure the FX-1002 is resting in the stand when it is activated. This way it can first come up to its standby temperature and then to full temp after being picked up.

This makes me wonder how well the larger FX-1001 handpiece works in practice since it presumably bursts more current.

EDIT: I've been told that this same problem can also occur with standard Metcal handpieces so maybe it is a fault of the MX500 PSU rather than a compatibility issue with the Hakko handset.
« Last Edit: October 05, 2020, 03:11:50 pm by lukego »

The following users thanked this post: thm_w

Offline Jamieson

• Contributor
« Reply #7 on: February 19, 2021, 01:53:41 am »
This is the Metcal base unit trying to detect non-Metcal tips being used. Apparently the Thermaltronics tips heat up a bit faster then the Metcal tips in the first couple of seconds. The Metcal MX500 firmware checks for this and displays the nag message and shuts down. I'm not sure if the Metcal units are still doing this but it was brought up in a Thermaltronics newsletter in 2014.

Share me

Digg  Facebook  SlashDot  Delicious  Technorati  Twitter  Google  Yahoo
Smf