Author Topic: Metcal MFR 450 KHz vs Metcal MX 13Mhz  (Read 6030 times)

Offline Wolfram.ChromeTopic starter

• Contributor
  • !
  • https://goo.gl/h2GXKY
Metcal MFR 450 KHz vs Metcal MX 13Mhz
« on: February 18, 2016, 11:55:10 pm »
i want to buy an metcal mfr 1160 60 watt , 450 khz .
my friend tells me that this system is weak, because it's only 450 khz then 13 Mhz which has more termal capacity and is more powerful in general.
I know that some mx systems have less then 60 watts.
This mean that also if the wattage is lower ,but the frequency is higher the more powerful system is the one with higher frequency also if the wattage is lower  ?
Its true ?

Offline Someone

• Super Contributor
    • send complaints here
Re: Metcal MFR 450 KHz vs Metcal MX 13Mhz
« Reply #1 on: February 19, 2016, 01:36:52 am »
Power is power, the "low" frequency PS-900 and PS-800 deliver enough power (50-60W) for soldering copper sheets. The advantage of the higher frequency models is their smaller diameter hand pieces and tips, the curie point delivery makes the mass of the tips irrelevant.

Offline Monkeh

• Super Contributor
« Reply #2 on: February 19, 2016, 02:46:50 am »
From PPT and other promotional materials, it seems Hakko FX100 is better than Metcal units (and a little bit more expensive). You may want to consider Hakko as well.

You mean from Hakko's promotional materials? Of course they're going to claim it's better..

Offline amc184

• Regular Contributor
« Reply #3 on: February 19, 2016, 04:00:18 am »
I've used a few Metcal 13MHz system irons and I think they're great.  I haven't used the 450kHz system, so I can't compare.  Just wanted to add something you might want to keep in mind; there are a far greater range of tips available for the 13MHz range, as well as the Talon tweezer iron.

Offline Wolfram.ChromeTopic starter

• Contributor
  • !
  • https://goo.gl/h2GXKY
« Reply #4 on: February 19, 2016, 05:32:16 pm »
so ,if a system have 60 watts of power and 450 khz ,this not make it less powerful then a system with the same wattage (60w) but with 13Mhz??????????????????????????????
this is my question.
« Last Edit: February 19, 2016, 05:39:03 pm by Wolfram.Chrome »

Offline Cerebus

• Super Contributor
« Reply #5 on: February 19, 2016, 06:57:03 pm »

But usually for the same price Japanese goods are better than European ones because labor is cheaper, let along the Hakko one is actually more expensive.

Eh?? Japanese wage income (In PPP* terms) is exactly between that of workers in Belgium and Sweden.

*PPP - Purchasing Power Parity
Anybody got a syringe I can use to squeeze the magic smoke back into this?

Offline PChi

• Frequent Contributor
« Reply #6 on: February 20, 2016, 04:13:44 pm »
I have used both the 450 kHz systems and the 13 MHz. My impression is that the 13 MHz systems have a lower thermal resistance path to the tip.
I don't think that it is the frequency it's just the overall design.
I would rate the JBC in between the two.
That is my highly subjective opinion though.

Offline PA4TIM

• Super Contributor
  • instruments are like rabbits, they multiply fast
    • PA4TIMs shelter for orphan measurement stuff
« Reply #7 on: February 20, 2016, 06:49:31 pm »
I have a Metcal MFR-1351 (and for reference, a Weller WSD81 and an old Pace MBT250 with solderhandpiece , desoldersucker and tweezers and a Metcal/Oki hot air station)

I bought the Metcal as a replacement for the Pace (I still use the Pace tweezers). I like it, it does the job, heats up very quick and it has enough more as enough power to solder everything I want. Soldering a wire to a groundplane, a heatsink to a PCB etc. I use a hoof-shape tip for allround work and a small gullwing for smd. I use my stations everyday for repair-work.

One thing I do not like. The 1351 has a soldering handpiece and a desoldergun. There is a switch that you use to switch between them. The solder iron has a stand that decreases power when parked in it and shuts it complete down after 2 hours or so.
So the most logical thing would be that the switch is there to switch only the desoldergun and the soldering handpiece to be powered on if you power on the PSU unit. This because the stand works like a sort of switch already. But no, you have to choose. You can only use one at a time. I have more stations so not a huge problem but it is just stupid. It states on their website to have a dual switchable output so I thought it was like my Pace. I can power all 3 at the same time or choose to power only 1 or 2.

Oh, if you order one, they come without a tip. Tips are not cheap. I mainly bought it for the desolder handpiece. There is  not much choice in good desolder stations (that do not need a separate shop-compressor) so that is why I bought Metcal.

Someone told me the MFR line is made for production work. 

www.pa4tim.nl my collection measurement gear and experiments Also lots of info about network analyse
www.schneiderelectronicsrepair.nl  repair of test and calibration equipment
https://www.youtube.com/user/pa4tim my youtube channel

Share me

Digg  Facebook  SlashDot  Delicious  Technorati  Twitter  Google  Yahoo
Smf