Products > Other Equipment & Products

Metcal: MX-H1-AV vs MX-RM3E?

(1/5) > >>

rfmerrill:
I bought a metcal MX500 power supply and I'm wondering which handpiece I should go for. The marketing literature is not very clear on what exactly the differences are between the "standard" RM3E and the "advanced" H1-AV. The only things that are super obvious are that the H1-AV has interchangeable grips and its workstand has an adjustable rest angle. I looked for other topics on this and someone mentioned the H1-AV is also lighter. Anyone know of any other important differences? Surprisingly hard to find.

Edit: My favorite part is that the standard handpiece+stand has "auto-sleep" while the advanced handpiece+stand has "tip saver". The blurbs for what these things are are different but seem to say the same thing and I'm fairly certain there's not actually a difference. Way to go marketing.

Free_WiFi:
Take the MX-H1-AV it's a very cool handle,it's durable but more expensive ....
The MX-RM3E is durable too,but less serviceable in various cases of breakage.

P.S I'm selling some metcal's stuff.

GreyWoolfe:
The H1-AV and stand seem to go for about $240-290 USD on evilBay.  The RM3E and stand about $190.  The Thermaltronics combo go for about $160.    The Thermaltronics company was founded by ex Metcal people.  I have a couple of the tips and they work just as well as the Metcal tips.  Unless you are in heavy production, durability really shouldn't be an issue.  You can get 2 of the Thermaltronics wands for about the cost of 1 H1-AV.  I take care of my toys and don't let anyone else touch them.  That alone will guarantee durability. ;D

When I bought my RM3E and WS1, they were both NOS and I paid less than just the H1-AV.  Prices are higher now but still cheaper.

thm_w:

--- Quote from: rfmerrill on June 22, 2019, 07:31:33 am ---Edit: My favorite part is that the standard handpiece+stand has "auto-sleep" while the advanced handpiece+stand has "tip saver". The blurbs for what these things are are different but seem to say the same thing and I'm fairly certain there's not actually a difference. Way to go marketing.

--- End quote ---

Same thing yeah, magnets inside the stand reduce the tip temperature.
MX-H1-AV is the best soldering iron handle I've used by far, rubber grip and selectable texture is the main improvement over RM3E, weight is not so different. Up to you if the big price is worth it though.

https://www.mouser.com/ProductDetail/Metcal/MX-H1-AV?qs=tEuKHpL3IwnXk5C4V2iB%2FQ==

GreyWoolfe:

--- Quote from: thm_w on June 24, 2019, 11:15:53 pm ---
--- Quote from: rfmerrill on June 22, 2019, 07:31:33 am ---Edit: My favorite part is that the standard handpiece+stand has "auto-sleep" while the advanced handpiece+stand has "tip saver". The blurbs for what these things are are different but seem to say the same thing and I'm fairly certain there's not actually a difference. Way to go marketing.

--- End quote ---

Same thing yeah, magnets inside the stand reduce the tip temperature.
MX-H1-AV is the best soldering iron handle I've used by far, rubber grip and selectable texture is the main improvement over RM3E, weight is not so different. Up to you if the big price is worth it though.

https://www.mouser.com/ProductDetail/Metcal/MX-H1-AV?qs=tEuKHpL3IwnXk5C4V2iB%2FQ==

--- End quote ---

I also have a Hakko FX-951 which has a rubber grip.  I like the cushioned grip but still prefer the RM3E for overall feel.  I would like to see what the H1-AV feels like but I don't have the extra coin of the realm to sample it and I really don't like to try and then return.  Price is always a concern for me.  That is why I chose the Hakko over a JBC, big difference in price, even with getting extra tips and holders for the Hakko.  Maybe at some point I could find a used one at a price that is palatable.

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

There was an error while thanking
Thanking...
Go to full version