Products > Other Equipment & Products

Microscope Camera Best Option

(1/3) > >>

robertson.alan@gmail.com:
Is the SONY IMX290 Autofocus still the best camera for a Microscope these days, I notice there are other newer models without Autofocus that are 4K 60fps or have larger sensors but not autofocus

Is the Autofocus really a must have. Budget $400

Thanks
Alan

evb149:
Not product specific but just general photography -- focusing necessity / effort is related to the depth of field of your lens system e.g. the
magnification as well as the f-number of the optics. 

If you are working at high magnifications then yeah every little shift of the PCB or the difference between looking at the SMD land pad height vs. the height of the toe solder fillet is enough to need a refocus then you will have to be concerned about the facility of frequent focusing.  Even worse you'll have to be concerned whether auto-focus is good / "necessary" or actually
harmful -- after all what exactly will auto focus focus on?  The top of the PCB?  The foot / leg of the SMD QFP components?  The top of the QFN / QFP / BGA / SOT / MLCC components (while potentially leaving the actual solder joints and PCB surface blurry and out of focus)?

On the other hand if you have low magnifications plenty of depth of field you may not need to care much about frequent focusing either auto or manual.

I guess that's one thing I like about SLRs where you can pick points and modes for the AE / AF so whether it is targeting the center or side or some area etc. can be helpful.  I'm not sure what kind of user guided AF options exist for the better microscope cameras out there these days.  It would be nice, I suppose, to have a mouse where you can literally click on what you want to focus / zoom to but that may be uncommon.

jfiresto:
Directly projecting an image from the microscope on to the camera sensor is often a good solution. The camera, then, does not, can not focus. As far as it is concerned, the microscope is a manual focus lens with a smallish aperture (mine is ca. f7, wide open).

jaaa1976:

--- Quote from: jfiresto on December 25, 2021, 06:56:10 am ---Directly projecting an image from the microscope on to the camera sensor is often a good solution. The camera, then, does not, can not focus. As far as it is concerned, the microscope is a manual focus lens with a smallish aperture (mine is ca. f7, wide open).

--- End quote ---

Hi.. so which camera you using now? Im selling Panasonic LUMIX GX80  and want try microscope original camera now.need find which is best 4K model now.

jfiresto:
Sorry, somehow I did not see your last post until now.

I have been using the Olympus Pen Lite models, the E-PL1 through E-PL8. The -PL7 and -PL8 are quite nice for taking stills and videos. I am setting up a DMC-GX85, the U.S. market version of the -GX80, for streaming video. Why are you selling the -GX80? If the microscope has a classic, 1X c-mount photo port, you just need a cheap thread adapter to directly project onto the sensor.

EDIT: Here is an image I took for someone, of a -GX80/GX85 so mounted.

You can click on the image to see and save the 16 megapixel image.

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

There was an error while thanking
Thanking...
Go to full version