Author Topic: Microscope Frame Question  (Read 1091 times)

Offline luudeeTopic starter

• Frequent Contributor
Microscope Frame Question
« on: January 03, 2024, 10:15:59 am »

Hi Guys and Gals !

I have a microscope and am generally very happy with it.

One thing that annoys me, however, is the height adjustment. The travel of the "Focus Knob" is quite limited (about 6-8cm ?)
Attached picture for clarification.

I have been searching the net for an assembly that has a larger travel, so I don't have to manually move the entire thing up and down.

Two questions please:

1. Is there a solution with a larger travel ?
2. What is that part of the assembly called (in English) ?   :phew:

Many Thanks !!!

Best regards,
rudi

Offline jfiresto

• Frequent Contributor
Re: Microscope Frame Question
« Reply #1 on: January 03, 2024, 01:58:21 pm »
My impression is 6~8cm of rack-and-pinion travel is typical. I measured 7cm of travel for the microscope next to me. I can slide+clamp its head another 17cm, up and down, from one end of the vertical carrier post to the other, before I have to move all the moveable parts – head, post, and the horizontal swing arm – up and down.

My father's solution to look at objects of wildly varied sizes was to mount a microscope head on a parallelogram, stand. [I will try to find a picture of one.] It allowed quick but coarse height adjustments. You might have to wait a little for the head to settle, especially at higher magnifications. He had a machinist fashion a carrier post. Perhaps an idea.
« Last Edit: January 03, 2024, 02:16:50 pm by jfiresto »
-John

The following users thanked this post: luudee

Offline thm_w

• Super Contributor
  • Non-expert
« Reply #2 on: January 03, 2024, 11:10:46 pm »
Focus rack.
You can also mount the microscope to a gas spring monitor arm for easy mobility, but then its going to be a lot less rigid than your boom arm setup.
Profile -> Modify profile -> Look and Layout ->  Don't show users' signatures

Offline Someone

• Super Contributor
    • send complaints here
« Reply #3 on: January 04, 2024, 12:31:53 am »
Generally the rack/bracket for pedestal post mounting will have a limited stroke range when compared to a stand which relies only on the (integrated) rack.

Perhaps describe the problem?

Its not uncommon in a production environment to have a solid block for quickly elevating thinner samples rather than constantly adjusting the coarse racking of the microscope.

Offline jfiresto

• Frequent Contributor
« Reply #4 on: January 04, 2024, 07:41:40 am »
An advantage of moving the sample up and down is you do not have to change your posture with respect to the eyepieces.

A used, surgical (operating) microscope stand would also allow quick and extended repositioning – although some can be a little large:

If you look carefully, you can spot the microscope. :) There are much smaller, mobile versions.

« Last Edit: January 04, 2024, 07:58:58 am by jfiresto »
-John

• Frequent Contributor
« Reply #5 on: January 04, 2024, 08:12:00 am »

Thanks for all the replies, Guys !

The problem I have is that when I try to look at a PCB I am working on at a 45 degree
angle, to check out a solder joint for example, I have to move the entire assembly on
that little post up and down.

Unfortunately, I am also very much space limited and can not (don't want to) change
the arm/frame of the scope.

I learned a few new terms, thank you guys, I will continue searching to see if I can find
a longer "Focus Rack" for my baby !!!

Best Regards,
rudi

Offline jfiresto

• Frequent Contributor
« Reply #6 on: January 04, 2024, 09:32:02 am »
Inspecting PCBs, you say? What about attaching a PCB holding-frame to the end of an arm like this one? The gross load could very well fall within its 94–1200g support range. Even a RØDE is inexpensive enough to tempt me to experiment.
« Last Edit: January 04, 2024, 09:39:27 am by jfiresto »
-John

Offline watchmaker

• Frequent Contributor
  • Self Study in EE
    • Precision Timepiece Restoration and Service
« Reply #7 on: January 04, 2024, 07:49:35 pm »
The only other store bought option I know is something like the articulating scope mount by Amscope.  But it is a wall mount for rigidity.

How about a rack and pinion work table???  (shop made).  Think drill press or milling table.  Just to get your imagination flowing.
Regards,

Dewey

Offline thm_w

• Super Contributor
  • Non-expert
« Reply #8 on: January 04, 2024, 09:45:46 pm »
Inspecting PCBs, you say? What about attaching a PCB holding-frame to the end of an arm like this one? The gross load could very well fall within its 94–1200g support range. Even a RØDE is inexpensive enough to tempt me to experiment.

Sure but that does not really solve any problem as OP is probably moving from the bench to a rotated position then needs to adjust the focus. But yes, those style arms are good for holding a digital microscope camera or similar.
Profile -> Modify profile -> Look and Layout ->  Don't show users' signatures

Offline jfiresto

• Frequent Contributor
« Reply #9 on: January 05, 2024, 09:33:24 am »
As I do not know what problem(s) the OP might be trying to solve, I would first want to watch him at work before ruling anything out. (My paternal grandfather was an expert in time and motion.)

I just wonder if moving the sample to within the focus rack range, rather than extending it, might help.
-John

• Frequent Contributor
« Reply #10 on: January 05, 2024, 09:34:42 am »

I Think I have found what I am looking for !!!

https://www.aliexpress.com/item/1005006148683170.html

Cheers,
rudi

Offline jfiresto

• Frequent Contributor
« Reply #11 on: January 05, 2024, 12:55:13 pm »
That looks promising. I will keep my fingers crossed!
-John

Offline watchmaker

• Frequent Contributor
  • Self Study in EE
    • Precision Timepiece Restoration and Service
« Reply #12 on: January 05, 2024, 01:15:50 pm »
You got me thinking.  I may order this: https://www.aliexpress.us/item/3256805330774436.html?

Mount the work holder on it and attach it to the edge of my bench so that I change the work height and not my head height at the scope.  Maybe some kind of clamp so I can remove it when not used.

Thanks!
Regards,

Dewey

Share me

Digg  Facebook  SlashDot  Delicious  Technorati  Twitter  Google  Yahoo
Smf