Author Topic: Microscope servicing in UK?  (Read 724 times)

Offline AndyC_772Topic starter

• Super Contributor
  • Professional design engineer
    • Cawte Engineering | Reliable Electronics
Microscope servicing in UK?
« on: March 27, 2024, 04:57:59 pm »
Hi

I have an Olympus microscope (SZ40) which is in need of a general clean and service. It's quite old, but still in regular daily use and it's an excellent piece of kit.

Does anyone have experience with any companies (in UK) that might be able to carry out a service please?

Online nfmax

• Super Contributor
Re: Microscope servicing in UK?
« Reply #1 on: March 27, 2024, 09:27:38 pm »
I bought a replacement stage plate for my SZ40 from JB Microscopes, jbmicroscopes.co.uk - they also do servicing. I’ve not used them for that myself though

Offline watchmaker

• Frequent Contributor
  • Self Study in EE
    • Precision Timepiece Restoration and Service
« Reply #2 on: March 29, 2024, 08:52:36 am »
Hi

I have an Olympus microscope (SZ40) which is in need of a general clean and service. It's quite old, but still in regular daily use and it's an excellent piece of kit.

Does anyone have experience with any companies (in UK) that might be able to carry out a service please?

I have cleaned the lenses and zoom racks of at least a dozen AO/BL/Nikon/Olympus.  They are all easy to do.  IPA for lenses, cotton swabs, sensor sponges ,  Contact cleaner for the old lube on zoom and MolyKote for the lube.  All are pretty simple.  No need to take the prism housing apart as it is very well sealed,  Even the zoom optics do not require much cleaning because they should be in a gasketed housing (although flux fumes do get in).  The main issue is the zoom.

Here is a link to a thread on a UK based Microscope forum.  It is relevant to you, BUT, the forum is very helpful and can direct you to a good service provider.

https://www.microbehunter.com/microscopy-forum/viewtopic.php?t=3651
Regards,

Dewey

Offline coppercone2

• Super Contributor
  • $
« Reply #3 on: March 29, 2024, 10:11:54 am »
IDK that shit goes south really easily

especially the god damn prisms.  >:(

Share me

Digg  Facebook  SlashDot  Delicious  Technorati  Twitter  Google  Yahoo