Products > Other Equipment & Products

milwakee cordless soldering iron safety fail

(1/4) > >>

coppercone2:
So I was using my cordless M12 iron to tin some sheet before soldering together (I like to use a torch and clamps) and I left it upright turned on for like 2 minutes while I was cleaning the work piece before a re-flux.

The bottom of the metal shaft melted the plastic that it is threaded? into and started to sag. If it was placed over something resting on the beefy looking guard, the tip would melt free of the plastic and touch the surface. I don't know what bozo designed this shit. You can't turn your back for 2 minutes on this thing. 40 minutes of run time to ensure you burn your work bench down.

You might want to toss this thing if you own it, it requires a redesign to fix. Nice job with testing milwakee, perhaps you should improve tool quality instead of spreading your product variety out like oil on water.. try a thermal overload safety test for those high prices you demand  ::)

I bet they put the entire R&D budget into 'one key' blue tooth bullshit rather then trying to figure out if it can burn someones house down.. perhaps you need a thermal engineer instead of another code monkey... have you heard of this? All I hear is battery life and one key.. :rant: no one gives a shit, just make it not break catastrophically and you will own the market

--- End quote ---

tooki:
A quick search seems to indicate this is a common failure, with reviews reporting it going back for years. :/

coppercone2:
i guess it needs to burn someones house down before they do anything about it lol. I got it last year

maybe you can put a radiator on it so it looks like a ray gun, at the expense of a little bit of battery life, it might not melt the housing. this is commonly done with forced air cooled vacuum tubes

https://media.istockphoto.com/vectors/ray-gun-illustration-vector-id652719034?s=612x612

John B:
I'd be contacting a federal agency about product recalls.

tooki:

--- Quote from: coppercone2 on January 22, 2022, 05:03:24 pm ---i guess it needs to burn someones house down before they do anything about it lol. I got it last year

maybe you can put a radiator on it so it looks like a ray gun, at the expense of a little bit of battery life, it might not melt the housing. this is commonly done with forced air cooled vacuum tubes

--- End quote ---
Or buy a soldering iron from a real soldering equipment manufacturer. I wouldn't expect a power tool company to do a good soldering iron any more than I'd expect Weller, Hakko or JBC to make a good circular saw.

(Not saying an unsafe product is OK, but just... expectations.)

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

There was an error while thanking
Thanking...
Go to full version