Author Topic: Mini table saw for PCB cutting - worth buying?  (Read 2865 times)

Offline bodzio_stawskiTopic starter

• Contributor
Mini table saw for PCB cutting - worth buying?
« on: June 19, 2021, 12:39:42 pm »
Hello everyone!

I am looking for a reasonable price mini table saw, which will be good enough for cutting copper laminate. Cutting plastic or wood would also be appreciated, so if a set of blades for various materials were easily accessible for this device, it would be great.

My propositons are below:

1) Minleaf ML-MS1 - my observations show that it is the cheapest (or one of the cheapest) at chinese auctions. It is also probably some counterfeit Proxxon, which is supposed to be even a little stronger than the original, but on the other hand I have not seen anyone cutting a PCB with it.
https://www.banggood.com/Minleaf-ML-MS1-220V-480W-Mini-Portable-Table-Saw-Multifunctional-Handmade-Woodworking-Bench-Saws-Cutting-Tool-p-1692626.html?akmClientCountry=PL&cur_warehouse=PL

2) NovelLife Mini Hobby Table Saw - this model was described by thedailygardener.com as the first choice table saw, but in fact it looks that blades are in unusual size and hard to replace.
https://www.aliexpress.com/item/32574447050.html?spm=a2g0s.9042311.0.0.1d63b90ae50n6J

3) Allsome T4 Mini Table Saw - looks similar to T5 shown on YouTube. Both models (T4 and T5) have additional grind tip, but T4 is more expensive and looks similar to NovelLife in terms of quality (I'm not sure if something that serves everything is not really good for anything).
https://www.banggood.com/Raitool-T4-Mini-Table-Saws-Wood-Working-Bench-Lathe-Electric-Polisher-Grinder-DIY-Model-Cutting-Saw-p-1190146.html?utm_source=googleshopping&utm_medium=cpc_organic&gmcCountry=PL&utm_content=minha&utm_campaign=minha-pl-en-pc&currency=PLN&cur_warehouse=CN&createTmp=1&utm_source=googleshopping&utm_medium=cpc_bgs&utm_content=sxxx&utm_campaign=sxxx-ssc-pl-en-all-newcustom-ncv50-0128&ad_id=494945044279&gclid=CjwKCAjwq7aGBhADEiwA6uGZpxS6_Mi3DXQIlHw-IL9MIbFd53HxmNxpZPhxqznAiv_X0j96PVNiYBoCotsQAvD_BwE
What do you think? Have any of you tested any such device from China and found it good for cutting small copper plates?
« Last Edit: June 19, 2021, 06:36:54 pm by bodzio_stawski »

Offline jpanhalt

• Super Contributor
Re: Mini table saw for PCB cutting - worth buying from China?
« Reply #1 on: June 19, 2021, 12:59:00 pm »
I have used a Proxxon miniature table saw (brand MicroLux) for many years to do that.  I use a carbide tooth blade.  Whether those brands you reference will work would probably depend on how stable the arbor is and speed. My main use today is cutting grooves in the copper layer to facilitate "Manhattan" style construction of PCBs.

I now use a shear for vinyl floor tile to cut a PCB to size.  They are considerably cheaper.

Offline bodzio_stawskiTopic starter

• Contributor
Re: Mini table saw for PCB cutting - worth buying?
« Reply #2 on: June 19, 2021, 08:00:03 pm »
Oh, can you share with me an example/link/photo of this device for vinyl?:)

Online coppercone2

• Super Contributor
  • $
« Reply #3 on: June 19, 2021, 08:02:29 pm »
if you can afford the proxxon mini table saw (the good one with the dust extractor, its critical), and you don't have any other purchases, it should be a really good buy. Nice crisp clean cuts on PCB and PCB related materials

The only problem is its expensive, most people have a table saw already (redundant), and a band saw will work ok for a PCB if you spend the time to tune it up

I want one but the price tag is really high

I already have a scroll saw, a table saw, a band saw, 4 battery saws, a die grinder, a angle grinder, a dremel, 3 inch cutter, mini right angle die grinder.. its just redundant. If I setup two pieces of wood on a ways and use the mini 3 inch grinder with the vacuum connection after I clean and wax the dust chute nice the saw only saves a bit of setup time, and making a dedicated fixture to cut things on would be superior.

https://www.zoro.com/milwaukee-cordless-die-grinder-battery-included-2522-20-48-11-2420/i/G0188328/feature-product?utm_source=google&utm_medium=surfaces&utm_campaign=shopping%20feed&utm_content=free%20google%20shopping%20clicks&gclid=CjwKCAjwq7aGBhADEiwA6uGZp78hzOIGj8d2Fm2j5BZ27i_UqCN0LniUz3p39oCnsvQBNm9soKIXrxoCJoUQAvD_BwE

That tool is 100$ and its infinitely more useful for electronics work like cutting vent holes in cabinets and all kinds of other stuff vs a $350 mini saw, plus its safer. if you buy a expensive 3 inch diamond disk and spray lots of wd40 you can cut aluminum with it slowly, so long you clean the dust extractor system afterwards with some soap

I heard dubious things about the proxxon kt 27070 adjustment (the claim 0.001 inch but thats not useful for PCB and apparently its a bit of marketing wank).

I got like a 2' long flat iron that I rest on top of stuff and use those saws over a groove in the table saw to cut flat materials.. it only stops working when you have too little material to clamp down nicely.. but just stick with big sheets and not using every little fuckin piece of metal and its fine (this is how you lose a finger or otherwise injure yourself, decide that you must get the remaining 50 cents out of a oddly shaped piece of sheet metal remains that you cannot clamp down properly and try to do magic on a table saw).. in principle a mini table saw allows you to recycle it, but in practice its some seriously optimistic greed behind the costs

Now the proxxon miter saw (the one thats more expensive) is an amazing tool, particularly for angle pieces and round stock that you need to cut.. mild steel, aluminum, copper, stainless tube, titanium tube (works), etc..
« Last Edit: June 19, 2021, 08:19:45 pm by coppercone2 »

Offline jpanhalt

• Super Contributor
« Reply #4 on: June 19, 2021, 09:20:44 pm »
Oh, can you share with me an example/link/photo of this device for vinyl?:)

Mine looks like this.  Versions are available at Home Depot for less than $30.  Maybe cheaper elsewhere.

Online coppercone2

• Super Contributor
  • $
« Reply #5 on: June 19, 2021, 09:42:55 pm »
shear is a superior choice anyway so long the material cuts well because there is almost no dust

the only problem is if you have a populated board you need to cut

The following users thanked this post: tooki

Offline jpanhalt

• Super Contributor
« Reply #6 on: June 19, 2021, 10:00:52 pm »
I don't worry about the dust.  It is no worse than any other nuisance dust.  The part I didn't like was the little chips flying at me.  That is, you feed INTO a table saw.  When I cut grooves, those chips are blocked.  In fact, on single sided boards, I didn't go all the way through (copper side down).  Also, carbide blades are expensive and don't last forever.

Offline T3sl4co1l

• Super Contributor
  • Expert, Analog Electronics, PCB Layout, EMC
    • Seven Transistor Labs
« Reply #7 on: June 20, 2021, 12:37:50 am »
Tile saw!

It's compact, carbide or diamond toothed/loaded, water cooled -- not so much for heat in this case but to keep the nasty dust down -- and gives a clean smooth cut, unlike shears.  Can also be used to grind and shape things.  Use a fence for straight cuts, freehanding isn't nearly so self-guided as say a circular saw is.

Shears aren't bad, mind; I use tin snips for most of my work.  But I often spend a few minutes sanding down the edges to get them smooth and straight.  When I don't need that, of course, it's fast and easy.

Tim
Seven Transistor Labs, LLC
Electronic design, from concept to prototype.
Bringing a project to life?  Send me a message!

Offline Gyro

• Super Contributor
« Reply #8 on: June 20, 2021, 10:51:42 am »
+1.  Cheapest and zero dust option.  :-+
Best Regards, Chris

"Victor Meldrew, the Crimson Avenger!"

Online Bud

• Super Contributor
« Reply #9 on: June 20, 2021, 12:40:39 pm »
Wet tile saw is not practical, unless you cut pcbs every day. It is large, takes space, ant it is wet. Beside spitting water during cutting if water left in it metal parts will rust.
Facebook-free life and Rigol-free shack.

Offline T3sl4co1l

• Super Contributor
  • Expert, Analog Electronics, PCB Layout, EMC
    • Seven Transistor Labs
« Reply #10 on: June 20, 2021, 01:58:41 pm »
Nah not some huge industrial bastard, a tiny plastic one like this,
https://www.homedepot.com/p/MK-Diamond-4-5-in-Wet-Cutting-Tile-Saw-MK-145/100476924
there's probably even smaller/cheaper/chintzier ones out there but this looks close enough just from a few seconds flipping through their catalog.  Also lapidary saws, though I suppose you likely wouldn't find one cheaper.  I can't say I'd buy this one specifically for PCBs, but if you have one already, or know someone, or can find one cheaper, it might be worth a try.

Tim
Seven Transistor Labs, LLC
Electronic design, from concept to prototype.
Bringing a project to life?  Send me a message!

Online Bud

• Super Contributor
« Reply #11 on: June 20, 2021, 02:17:55 pm »
Tiny? It is still fairly big and wet and will spray water towards operator's face. The guard will not stop it. Also blade alignment is typically difficult in this type of products. Wobbling blade tears corners of the material being cut at the end of a cut pass.
Facebook-free life and Rigol-free shack.

Offline Gyro

• Super Contributor
« Reply #12 on: June 20, 2021, 04:24:41 pm »
The one I use a small plastic too (Lidl or Aldi irrc). The only thing that shows any surface rust stains is the inner portion of the diamond disc but not the extent of becoming surface rust. It's easy to tip out the small amount of cooling water. A bit of FR4 glued to the plastic fence prevents the edge of the PCB (or tile come to that) from creating scores. I haven't experienced wobbling blade or tearout issues, cutting is too gentle. No spray issues either, the minimal amount of water is just there to cool the disc edge a quick wipe with a piece of kitchen towel does the job for clean-up.
Best Regards, Chris

"Victor Meldrew, the Crimson Avenger!"

Offline cannoli

« Reply #13 on: July 24, 2022, 05:23:28 pm »
The one I use a small plastic too (Lidl or Aldi irrc). The only thing that shows any surface rust stains is the inner portion of the diamond disc but not the extent of becoming surface rust. It's easy to tip out the small amount of cooling water. A bit of FR4 glued to the plastic fence prevents the edge of the PCB (or tile come to that) from creating scores. I haven't experienced wobbling blade or tearout issues,, cutting is too gentle. No spray issues either, the minimal amount of water is just there to cool the disc edge a quick wipe with a piece of kitchen towel does the job for clean-up.

I have to research this product. I've been a carpenter for over 20 years. But I have never heard of such a well-defined product. Thank you for your experiences.

Share me

Digg  Facebook  SlashDot  Delicious  Technorati  Twitter  Google  Yahoo
Smf