Author Topic: Miniware MHP50  (Read 7086 times)

Offline Pandor

• Contributor
Re: Miniware MHP50
« Reply #25 on: March 14, 2024, 06:34:15 pm »
I was about to order this puppy, but what is the difference between the Aluminum with Anodized Surface plate, and the Brass with Nano Ceremic Coating plate? I know the 30*30 only comes in Brass, so why the anodized Alu? Is there any benefit to that one?

Offline orzelTopic starter

• Regular Contributor
    • Sylphide Consulting
« Reply #26 on: March 14, 2024, 07:25:31 pm »
I was about to order this puppy, but what is the difference between the Aluminum with Anodized Surface plate, and the Brass with Nano Ceremic Coating plate? I know the 30*30 only comes in Brass, so why the anodized Alu? Is there any benefit to that one?

I have no idea. I took the ceramic one out of random.

Offline _Harry_

• Contributor
« Reply #27 on: March 15, 2024, 12:33:03 pm »
asked that myself too.
Have you seen this?

2073584-0

Physically:

Aluminum has better thermal conductivity than brass; that's why they say, alu has a "more evenly heated surface". But considering the small area of 5x5 cm, I don't think there is much difference between the aluminum and brass MHP50.

Brass is not as "hard" as Aluminium. That could be the reason, why they spend an nano ceramic coating in addition; as side effect it is easier to clean. I read somewhere, that brass needs more time to reach the same temperature compared with aluminium.

Regarding the more evenly heated surface my decision was for the AL50 Hot Plate.
_________
 - Harry

• Regular Contributor
    • Sylphide Consulting
« Reply #28 on: March 15, 2024, 12:43:36 pm »
as side effect it is easier to clean.

I confirm it's very easy to clean. I expected it to be more difficult..

Offline Pandor

• Contributor
« Reply #29 on: March 15, 2024, 07:26:32 pm »
asked that myself too.
Have you seen this?

(Attachment Link)

Physically:

Aluminum has better thermal conductivity than brass; that's why they say, alu has a "more evenly heated surface". But considering the small area of 5x5 cm, I don't think there is much difference between the aluminum and brass MHP50.

Brass is not as "hard" as Aluminium. That could be the reason, why they spend an nano ceramic coating in addition; as side effect it is easier to clean. I read somewhere, that brass needs more time to reach the same temperature compared with aluminium.

Regarding the more evenly heated surface my decision was for the AL50 Hot Plate.

I did have a look at their website beforehand, and seen the picture you're refiring to but the "shine bright like a diamond" didn't make much sense.. must be lost in translation somewhere  ;D

How easy is the anodized surface to clean from flux and smeared solder?

I'm tilting towards the brass plate, but not sure. Maybe there's less hot/cold spots (before fully reaching set temp), so a more stable heat spread with the alu? that could be and advantage when using the reflow option it has...

Offline _Harry_

• Contributor
« Reply #30 on: March 16, 2024, 11:37:52 am »
About AL55 surface cleaning - I have no experience. I returned my MHP50 because
  • I got one with PCB v0.7
  • The reflow welding temperature can't be set below 230 °C (at least with FW v1.0). That's bad for low temp. soldering (e. g. 150 °C), as you unnecessarily stress your PCB with much more heat than actually needed.
The build quality at all was really very good. Only the spacing between the temp. digits was not perfect on the display; that could be improoved by a FW update.
« Last Edit: March 16, 2024, 11:40:22 am by _Harry_ »
_________
 - Harry

Offline ius

« Reply #31 on: April 05, 2024, 12:52:04 pm »
It is recommended to prepare a power supply that supports the PD3.1 protocol. In the upcoming MHP50 firmware, we have added PD3.1 protocol support and can work at 140W power.

Note that in fact it is already supported in SV 1.00 (which everyone seems to already be on). I got a 28V PD trigger (for 28V DC input, which is also supported) but turns out there's no need.

Make sure you get a 140W PD3.1 power supply and a 240W rated cable: the one Miniware provides only supports up to 20V/100W.

About AL55 surface cleaning - I have no experience. I returned my MHP50 because
  • I got one with PCB v0.7
  • The reflow welding temperature can't be set below 230 °C (at least with FW v1.0). That's bad for low temp. soldering (e. g. 150 °C), as you unnecessarily stress your PCB with much more heat than actually needed.

There is no '1.00' and apparently Miniware felt it was ready for market. I don't see the point of returning it over a number which has little meaning if you're not the manufacturer.

Agree on the second point though. It seems to be an arbitrary limitation - hopefully they'll fix it in a future firmware update.

The following users thanked this post: thm_w, orzel

Offline _Harry_

• Contributor
« Reply #32 on: April 05, 2024, 03:09:19 pm »
There is no '1.00' and apparently Miniware felt it was ready for market. I don't see the point of returning it over a number which has little meaning if you're not the manufacturer.
Believe me or not. No professional industrial company would start final PCB series below rev 1.0.
They call those "prototype" or  "0-series".
And ask yourself, why they stated "H_Ver: 1.0" in the manual - someone at miniware / e-design knows that very exactly ...  ;)
Anyway - 0.7 seems to work properly. Have fun!
 :)
_________
 - Harry

Offline thm_w

• Super Contributor
  • Non-expert
« Reply #33 on: April 05, 2024, 09:45:43 pm »
What? Revision numbers are completely arbitrary, I could start at A or 0.0 or 0.1 or 1, or 0, or whatever you want.
Even if your statement was true, this is not a "professional industrial company" they are just making low cost soldering products, primarily for hobbyists.

Profile -> Modify profile -> Look and Layout ->  Don't show users' signatures

• Regular Contributor
    • Sylphide Consulting
« Reply #34 on: April 05, 2024, 10:27:58 pm »
...  they are just making low cost soldering products, primarily for hobbyists.

I (respectfully) disagree. The MHP50 is expensive !

Offline thm_w

• Super Contributor
  • Non-expert
« Reply #35 on: April 06, 2024, 12:02:30 am »
...  they are just making low cost soldering products, primarily for hobbyists.

I (respectfully) disagree. The MHP50 is expensive !

For hobbyists yes you are right. As a comparison, though not quite the same product, Hakko's low end preheater is $360, metcal $600, pace $1,200.
« Last Edit: April 06, 2024, 12:04:23 am by thm_w »
Profile -> Modify profile -> Look and Layout ->  Don't show users' signatures

Offline SteveyG

• Supporter
  • Soldering Equipment Guru
« Reply #36 on: April 25, 2024, 08:17:39 am »
Apologies for the long delay, I've release the video on this finally.
It took a while for my PD3.1 power supply to arrive, but it works well at 28V

YouTube Channel: https://www.youtube.com/user/sdgelectronics/
Use code: “SDG5” to get 5% off JBC Equipment at Kaisertech

The following users thanked this post: thm_w

Share me

Digg  Facebook  SlashDot  Delicious  Technorati  Twitter  Google  Yahoo
Smf