Author Topic: Permanant marker for IC  (Read 628 times)

Offline BuckTopic starter

Permanant marker for IC
« on: March 16, 2023, 11:07:49 am »
I am looking for a marker for IC in different colors. The use case is to indicate if an IC have been reworked with lead solder or if it is broken.

The requirement is that it needs to be permanent and can withstand IPA and flux. I also the paint needs to handle heat of 400 degrees C.

I did try the Edding 750 markers but they fly off once you apply some flus and blow with the heat gun.

Any suggestions for a product that can fulfill my task?

Online jpanhalt

• Super Contributor
Re: Permanant marker for IC
« Reply #1 on: March 16, 2023, 11:51:31 am »
There are a few solutions I have used.  Mechanics use markers in disassembly to ensure correct orientation when reassembling.  Wax pencils and various "magic" markers will work.  Of course black is not very evident, but silver is also available.  I use the silver version occasionally.*

What I prefer is a paint marker, and specifically the fine line DecoColor brand by MARVY UCHIDA in the USA.  They are made in Japan, and the brand name may be different for you.  I have tried other, less expensive brands, and the tips seem to dry out quickly.  I can leave a DecoColor marker for months, even a year or more capped, and it is still usable.  Of course, it has the usual warning label as it contains xylene.

*Edit: Sharpie brand
« Last Edit: March 16, 2023, 12:15:03 pm by jpanhalt »

The following users thanked this post: Buck

Offline RoGeorge

• Super Contributor
« Reply #2 on: March 16, 2023, 12:08:53 pm »
Make specific scratch-marks on them, with any sharp pointed tool around.

Offline BuckTopic starter

« Reply #3 on: March 17, 2023, 09:47:11 am »
Thanks "jpanhalt" for the tip. I just orderd a Marvy decocolor pen to test :D

Anye more marker tips?

Also scratching the IC is actually a good idea but unfortunately it is not possible in my situation. I need a color that is really clear and the marking can not be mistaken for a "scratch" from the factory or anything similar.

Offline amyk

• Super Contributor
« Reply #4 on: March 17, 2023, 10:32:29 pm »
Also scratching the IC is actually a good idea but unfortunately it is not possible in my situation. I need a color that is really clear and the marking can not be mistaken for a "scratch" from the factory or anything similar.
Engrave something distinctive.

Share me

Digg  Facebook  SlashDot  Delicious  Technorati  Twitter  Google  Yahoo
Smf