Author Topic: Modify Aixun T3B to work with T245 / C245 and T12 cartridges  (Read 9313 times)

Offline electrosmithTopic starter

Modify Aixun T3B to work with T245 / C245 and T12 cartridges
« on: December 08, 2021, 06:20:47 pm »
Hello everyone, I have already read the interesting T3A concepts of this forum but I see that the vast majority are not interested in using T210, T105 and T115 handles, so I want to create this forum so that together we can enable the T3B version with T245 and T12 handles, if you are interested, you should know that you have to buy a power supply that is inexpensive, and is the same as the factory T3A, I know that there are many who prefer other types of isolated sources, but at first I do not want the topic to deviate from the main objective which is to enable T245 and T12.
I chose the T3B version, because it includes a base that in T3A costs an additional US $ 30 and because I wanted the T115 handle with the 3 tips, which would cost separately about US $ 75, In addition, the base of the T3B works as an extension, the one of the T3A does not.

Before you start to make changes, you should know that it is a project in which we are going to combine skills in order to make T245 and T12 work in Aixun T3B, I have no knowledge of firmware extraction or modification and therefore I can only make contributions of Modification at the Hardware level, when it is finished I will delete this comment, Thank you for your contribution !!!

The following users thanked this post: river

Re: Modify Aixun T3B to work with T245 / C245 and T12 cartridges
« Reply #1 on: December 08, 2021, 06:56:02 pm »
I began by investigating the board, carefully opening the front of the T3B, as our friend Steve Gardner from SDG Electronics explains, applying 120 ° C "on the screen it is not necessary only in its contour" with a suction element and gradually removing gently and patiently, the easiest way is to do it from left to right, I leave the video of our friend Steve:

https://youtu.be/26KXtHZqhMg?t=416 "Watch for only two minutes or you will deviate from the topic".

After removing the panel I see that the components of the board are very similar to those of T3A, including the mosfet that controls the output, so in the first instance if it can control T245 and T12.

Preliminary analysis of the tips:

http://adgd.ru/2021/01/04/jbc-soldering-cartridges-pinouts/
As I do not have an original JBC station, I do not understand what it talks about with the color code, but the information will be useful for many.

I found these images that are from another alternative and that coincide with what we want to do:

The first impediment we have is that C210 and C115 have a TC connected to VCC-OUT and C245 requires an independent TC, so we will proceed to separate it by making a small cut on pin 4 of the flex tape connector “It has a small connection between VCC- OUT ”as shown in the picture:
« Last Edit: December 09, 2021, 01:33:43 am by electrosmith »

« Reply #2 on: December 08, 2021, 07:01:41 pm »

As we need a TC output, I proceed to eliminate the track next to connector pin 3 “Change tip sense” that is not important for the operation, and I replace it with TC with the cable that we previously soldered.

The factory connector of the handle does not have all the pins, so for the tests I remove the connector from the base that does bring all the pins and we are ready for the first test.

After this basic test, I proceed to change the source for one of 18.5v and 6Ah enough for tests, I add a reinforcement wire AWG 18 in each of the connector outputs in PIN 1 GND and PIN 2 VCC-OUT, but the operation It is the same, apparently the firmware does not control temperature as such, it controls resistive changes of the internal thermocouple, depending on each cartridge because it works as if it were connected C210 but it does not heat beyond 100°C placing 450°C on the screen.

this is where help is needed to assess if I am overlooking something or if the firmware needs to be modified or put a resistive value in TC or ID TOOL.
« Last Edit: December 08, 2021, 07:13:39 pm by electrosmith »

Online DavidAlfa

• Super Contributor
« Reply #3 on: December 09, 2021, 04:09:56 pm »
Is It using a flat cable to power the heater??
By no way that can handle 10A... Only 5 pins for the power.
At 3A, it's already sourcing 600ma per pin, usually the limit is 500ma with these.

But some can take 1A... Maybe it's the case.
Be very careful if you don't want melting wires.
« Last Edit: December 09, 2021, 04:18:49 pm by DavidAlfa »
Hantek DSO2x1x            Drive        FAQ          DON'T BUY HANTEK! (Aka HALF-MADE)
Stm32 Soldering FW      Forum      Github      Donate

Offline Ungolian

• Regular Contributor
« Reply #4 on: December 09, 2021, 07:16:47 pm »
I think the real problem with modifying the T3B to do what the T3A does is the firmware.  It's not open source.  You could mod the hardware, but getting the unit to recognize what it would need to is pretty much impossible without modding the firmware.  The T3B maxes out at 96w I believe, and even with a T3A PSU, I think the current is limited in the firmware.  Second, it would make more sense to mod the T3A to do the T3B.  Looking at the Unisolder, it uses a 24v secondary on the transformer (like the T3A), with switching to 12v for the 210 stuff.       
« Last Edit: December 09, 2021, 07:21:43 pm by Ungolian »

Online DavidAlfa

• Super Contributor
« Reply #5 on: December 09, 2021, 08:10:05 pm »
Very unlikely, it just turns the power on and off, doesn't sense the current in any way, neither does the T3A.
The circuitry is very much the same as a Ksger with a bigger screen.

The problem comes because the sensors are very different, It won't work unless you calibrate it.
If the firmware doesn't allow to do that, you'll have to extract It somehow and try to find the threshold values, tables, coefficients or whatever it uses.
Read the existing hacks for stm32, ex. in my github there's a link to Dreamcat's article about this.
« Last Edit: December 09, 2021, 08:18:29 pm by DavidAlfa »
Hantek DSO2x1x            Drive        FAQ          DON'T BUY HANTEK! (Aka HALF-MADE)

The following users thanked this post: Ungolian

Offline Ungolian

• Regular Contributor
« Reply #6 on: December 09, 2021, 09:17:51 pm »
You're probably best qualified to answer that.  I'm not sure how much work is involved, or if all of this is even possible. 

Online DavidAlfa

• Super Contributor
« Reply #7 on: December 09, 2021, 09:24:36 pm »
Neither am I, I just know few things...
In any case, only someone with physical access to the device device could work on it...
Maybe it's not even read-protected, and it's easy as connecting a stlink.

« Reply #8 on: December 11, 2021, 12:22:33 am »
Is It using a flat cable to power the heater??
By no way that can handle 10A... Only 5 pins for the power.
At 3A, it's already sourcing 600ma per pin, usually the limit is 500ma with these.

But some can take 1A... Maybe it's the case.
Be very careful if you don't want melting wires.

Hi DavidAlfa, if you notice my last message I added an AWG18 cable to deliver more amperage and I also have a 18.5v at 6Ah source for testing, you can also appreciate the image where the cable is seen. Anyway thanks for the Amperage annotation.

« Reply #9 on: December 11, 2021, 12:40:20 am »
I think the real problem with modifying the T3B to do what the T3A does is the firmware.  It's not open source.  You could mod the hardware, but getting the unit to recognize what it would need to is pretty much impossible without modding the firmware.  The T3B maxes out at 96w I believe, and even with a T3A PSU, I think the current is limited in the firmware.  Second, it would make more sense to mod the T3A to do the T3B.  Looking at the Unisolder, it uses a 24v secondary on the transformer (like the T3A), with switching to 12v for the 210 stuff.       

I made the post because I am surprised by the capacity that many colleagues have, I believe Ksger is not OpenSource either, but they modified it ...

I also have the T3A at hand, in either of the two I would like to make the modification, the only thing I do not like is its horrible front connector, but if it is easier I do not think there is a problem, it would be interesting that it works in both.

I don't think the cost of the source is a determining factor in ruling out T3B:  https://www.aliexpress.com/item/1005002641984815.html?spm=a2g0o.productlist.0.0.74993947WVRE0T&algo_pvid=c2de82d7-8339-4df7-973c-33151f9b15a5&algo_exp_id=c2de82d7-8339-4df7-973c-33151f9b15a5-5&pdp_ext_f=%7B%22sku_id%22%3A%2212000021525421128%22%7D

I insist, I think the cost of T3B is lower considering the separate costs of the T115 and T210 implements.

Offline bozza

• Contributor
« Reply #10 on: May 11, 2022, 09:31:20 pm »
Has anyone had any success modifying the aixun to accept different handles yet?
The station looks so nice but I can't justify upgrading from my ksger.

I agree with the statement about the closed source nature of the device. KSGER stations are also closed source but they have already been modified.

It would be nice if either aixun station could accept all three types of handles.
Has anyone at least tried wiring a generic T12 handle to the aixun t3a? Would that be possible or would the tilt sensor cause issues?

Offline thm_w

• Super Contributor
  • Non-expert
« Reply #11 on: May 12, 2022, 10:07:08 pm »
There is no point in using a T12 handle with the aixun, the performance would be essentially the same as ksger you already have.
Profile -> Modify profile -> Look and Layout ->  Don't show users' signatures

Offline mb.raghavendra@gmail.com

« Reply #12 on: May 18, 2022, 10:56:47 am »
Hello Team,

Please find firmware for T3A and T3B if it is useful.

The following users thanked this post: thm_w

Offline mastershake

• Frequent Contributor
« Reply #13 on: May 20, 2022, 01:45:12 am »
you can find the current firmware here on this site: https://aixun-updates.github.io/#t3a

Offline carlicious

• Midnight Blue Labs
« Reply #14 on: September 26, 2022, 08:41:45 am »
Hi guys,

A few weeks ago I received my T3A and so far I'm very happy with it. So far I haven't run into any issues whatsoever, but I'm a bit worried whether it's suitable for very fine-grained soldering work. For those cases, C115 cartridges may be more suitable I think. I prefer not to buy a T3B for that, as my T3A should be more than capable to do the job. I'm highly experienced in software reversing and modding, so convincing the firmware to take the T115 handle should be no issue at all. In fact, it sounds like a fun project.

However, as things currently stand, I'm less confident on the hardware side of things. Why is the T115 handle not compatible with the T3A in the first place? Are the pin layouts different? Did I read correctly that the T115 takes 12V, whereas the T245 takes 24V? If someone could please point me in the right direction, that would be highly appreciated. E.g. should I buy a T115 handle and mod it? or is it easier to get another T245 and mod it to accept C115s? How should I proceed in modifying it? Finally, if possible, I prefer not to mod the base unit, but only the handle.

You guys be my guide for the hardware side of things, and I'll sort out the software. Obviously, my mod will be released as open source for everyone to use.

The following users thanked this post: river

Offline LegzRwheelz

« Reply #15 on: October 21, 2022, 04:37:57 pm »
This is valuable information. I'm wondering if there's a way to make the T3B accept the jcb plug? So I could use https://m.aliexpress.us/item/2255799944624782.html?

Online DavidAlfa

• Super Contributor
« Reply #16 on: November 03, 2022, 04:32:40 pm »
So what electrosmith did, isolating the TC pin didn't work after calibrating?
Of course it won't work right away. There must be some option for that in the menu.
And, logically, the station doesn't support profiles, you'll need to calibrate each time time you switch to a different cartridge type.
« Last Edit: November 03, 2022, 04:34:19 pm by DavidAlfa »

Offline c0d3z3r0

• Regular Contributor
« Reply #17 on: March 17, 2023, 10:42:29 am »
@electrosmith can you sure pictures of the main pcb as well?
AiXun T3A reverse engineering: https://github.com/c0d3z3r0/aixun_t3a_rev
AiXun T3x F(L)OSS update tool: https://github.com/c0d3z3r0/aixun_t3x_updater

Share me

Digg  Facebook  SlashDot  Delicious  Technorati  Twitter  Google  Yahoo
Smf