Author Topic: Modifying the output range of a solder station  (Read 728 times)

Offline ag20202Topic starter

Modifying the output range of a solder station
« on: March 27, 2021, 04:38:48 pm »
Hi all.
I have a basic but good quality analogue temperature-controlled solder station. It is the British brand Antex. I wanted to try a Hako style iron on it, so I bought a couple of clone irons and replaced their connectors to work with my solder station. It worked like a charm. However, the thermocouple/sensors in the Hako-style irons are clearly in a totally different range to the stock iron, such that I can only use the very start of the temperature control or the heating circuit remains permanently on.

I can get a good working temperature with it turned down to just above the lowest setting but obviously I have no range of temperature control at all. Is there a simple modification I could make to the base unit or the iron itself to shift its temperature sensing range? The base unit does have a calibration trimmer, which Ive turned down fully, but it doesn't have enough range to fix the issue.

Thanks.

Offline DavidAlfa

• Super Contributor
Re: Modifying the output range of a solder station
« Reply #1 on: March 28, 2021, 10:28:36 pm »
What tips are you using? T12? 936?
T12 have thermocouple, which means they work outputing voltage.
936 are PTC based, soy they are just variable resistors.

You will need some reverse engineering there. Is the original heater already damaged?
You need to know what is the measuring circuit expecting from the sensor.
Maybe then you could build some kind of translator, or modify the amplifier input.
Hantek DSO2x1x            Drive        FAQ          DON'T BUY HANTEK! (Aka HALF-MADE)
Stm32 Soldering FW      Forum      Github      Donate

Offline RayRay

• Frequent Contributor
Re: Modifying the output range of a solder station
« Reply #2 on: March 28, 2021, 10:41:22 pm »
Is there a simple modification I could make to the base unit or the iron itself to shift its temperature sensing range?
I'm afraid there's nothing overly simplistic about it!
You'd be best just purchasing a new T12 station (they're affordable enough)

The following users thanked this post: thm_w

Share me

Digg  Facebook  SlashDot  Delicious  Technorati  Twitter  Google  Yahoo
Smf