Author Topic: New Aixun T320 - Any opinions on it? (with inside pics)  (Read 20057 times)

Offline JNorton

• Contributor
Re: New Aixun T320 - Any opinions on it? (with inside pics)
« Reply #75 on: January 24, 2024, 05:31:38 pm »
I pulled off power cord and measured resistance between:
a) solder tip and middle pin of IEC C13 socket
b) solder tip and banana socket on backside of solder station

It is nearly zero Ohm.  So  when station is on, this connection is open?
Zero ohms so the connection is closed.  It does not open when the station is on.  The temperature drift you are seeing will make no difference in soldering.  What Tony experienced was a continued rise in temperature, it did not stop climbing.  He has since stated the station is experiencing more problems during normal use.  Stop overthinking this and just enjoy using your station.  Just my opinion.

My station has not experienced any memory loss since I upgraded to V1.10 and turned off the WiFi.  I thoroughly enjoy using it.

Offline bastler59

• Contributor
« Reply #76 on: January 24, 2024, 07:22:52 pm »
Stop overthinking this and just enjoy using your station.  Just my opinion.
For explanation:
During the last years I used a Daytools LS-981 with 60W, smallest tip 0.4mm, next one 1.0mm. For THT parts ok, SMD with pitch less than 1.27 mm difficult.

I ordered a Yihua 982 at Amazon. It came with a handle for C210 tips. The original conic style tip is about 0.3 mm. Yes I can solder with that tip components with 0.8 mm pitch pin by pin (not drag soldering). But I'm not satified with larger handle for C245 tips. The Yihua only takes 40 ~ 75 W from grid, never maximum 120 W.

That's the reason, why I ordered also the Aixun T320.
And the Yihua I can give back until next week.
May be you can understand, why I test the Aixun T320 so rigorous.

Zero ohms so the connection is closed.  It does not open when the station is on.  The temperature drift you are seeing will make no difference in soldering.
Today I made another test:
With a C245-755 (a large tip 4,0 x 0,8 mm) I was soldering on a steel plate at 325 °C, so the station had to provide a lot of power.  The T320 was able to get the tin liquid. During this time I connected the plate to ground.

The temperature made a larger drop down to 280 °C, so the amount seems to depend on the power flow. I guess, the coefficents of PID-regulator are not fixed. As long as the steel plate was connected to ground, I didn't see a temperature rise over the set temperature. That's a good news.  An overshoot  happened after releasing ground connection and it was up to 500 °C.

Here is the voltage between the tip and ground socket on backside of station:
1990270-0

And I also can measure a current: normally between 180 and 230 mA. During soldering on the steel plate up to 1.0 A.   

My station has not experienced any memory loss since I upgraded to V1.10 and turned off the WiFi.  I thoroughly enjoy using it.
Hmm ... I got mine with V1.07, but don't switch on WiFi. If I want to make a update, I can take the solder station in my hand and go to the computer. Station has an USB-socket. And I'm a fan of "never change a running system".

Can WiFi be the reason for memory loss?

Offline JNorton

• Contributor
« Reply #77 on: January 25, 2024, 01:15:42 am »
I'm curious how long the temperature overshoot lasted, that could affect how long the tips last.  I redid grounding my tip today and did not see a temperature rise when the tip was not grounded.  I used the graphing function. The graphic update speed seems good as you can see the tip temperature immediately dip when the tip is placed on a wetted sponge.  I'll try soldering on a grounded plate to see what my results are.  I very rarely solder on grounded components.  It sounds as though your needs are much more stringent than mine, you solder much smaller components.  I'm interested to see what else your testing reveals.

Offline bastler59

• Contributor
« Reply #78 on: January 25, 2024, 07:00:10 am »
@JNorton:
I'm engineer, but retired. Soldering is simply a hobby to make my own circuits.
So normally these are with SMD-components, sometimes (for photovoltaic) a PCB may have 70µm/2oz cooper and soldering needs more power for 30A-connectors. I don't repair electronic devices like Tony359 and until now my PCBs are not mulitlayer with ground planes etc.

I like the concept of all these JBC clones, that I can change between C210 and C245 handles/tips and have different power.

The grounded banana socket is for ESD wirstbands? These wristbands have a 1 MΩ inside - like my digital oszilloscope. So when I wear a wristband and hold solder wire in one hand and move it to the solder tip, I make a ground connection and there are voltage spikes of 1 V to 1,5 V. Of course no noteworthy current can flow. And components will not be damaged by such a small voltage.

The voltage of a thermocouple is in the range of 10 µV/°C. 120 W for heating means 24 V and 5 A. That may  disturb temperature reading from soldering catridge to station and can be a reason to shut heating off for some µs/ms. Does Aixun disconnect ground level from solder tip for this?

JBC mains arguments in advertisment are a longer lifespan of solder tips, because temperature is reduced in standby and a short heatup in 2 sec much better that competitors. All chinese clones try to do the same. This short heatup is the main evil. A regulator can't be fast and have no overshoot at the same time. But it should be only a short overshoot, not a thermal runaway.

From my visual impression I can tell you, that the 500 °C-overshoot was visible on display for a moment. I guess max. 0,5 sec or shorter.

I want to trace the temperature progress, but I need some time to find a solution. A soldering thermometer with one refresh per sec is too slow. Manufactors  of PT100/PT1000 and thermocouples tells you, that sensors have fast response. But no one publish values for τ63 or τ99. So my approach will be a thermocouple in pearl-size  hoping for a small thermal-capacity. A MAX31855 can readout values in 70 ms (max. 100 ms). So I have to test, how fast a thermocouple can follow temperature rise.
« Last Edit: January 25, 2024, 07:08:04 am by bastler59 »

Offline bastler59

• Contributor
« Reply #79 on: January 25, 2024, 03:27:01 pm »
Now for something different ...

Aixun offers a program. So I want to try.

To start the program you have to register. First field called mail is for a user name. A mailadress you have to type in in third field to receive a verify-code. The password must contain only characters and digits, special characters like "+" are not allowed. If you try it, you will get a "server error".

Program opens nearly full-size and covers taskbar. It is not possible to resize the
program window. It's possible to move it a little bit upwards. So if you want to change skin, you see the half of a popup window and can't change it. But the white skin ... bright green characters on white background looks awful.

With station off I see "UVP Current:5V, Unlock:20V" on display.
With station on I get no connection. 

May be station must be connected and switched on before starting program?   
With this I had luck. After waiting 4 sec my station appears in the first screen.

Time zone is GMT+8  for China.  I can change "Automatic CAL" to manual, but there is no way to change time.  By the way: version 1.10 should have a "Optimize temperature control".

On second screen I still see "unconnected". Loks like I can record values from solder station. But a voltage between 0 and 5 V and a current between 0 and 5 A???

My verdict: a really masterpiece of chinese art of programming.
« Last Edit: January 25, 2024, 03:35:18 pm by bastler59 »

Offline JNorton

• Contributor
« Reply #80 on: January 25, 2024, 05:38:03 pm »
Interesting program, I cannot connect to it either.  :)  I have been trying with the equipment I have to measure dynamic (fast updating) tip temperature.  I was trying to use an Omega OS532E infrared sensor, but I could not focus on the tip.  I also have a Brymen BM869s with a type K thermocouple which takes too long to stabilize.  With 1 M ohm in series to ground 0.03 uA DC, really negligable.  I'm sorry not to be of more help.

Offline bastler59

• Contributor
« Reply #81 on: January 27, 2024, 10:52:05 am »
Thermocouple will arrive next Wednesday.

So I checked the Yihua 982:
No voltage neither a current between tip and ground.
If station is off, resistance between tip and ground is nearly zero.

I guess: there is nothing special inside an original JBC solder station, that chinese competitors can't do. Lack of experience at Aixun? They are founded 5 years ago, Yihua is on market 23 years.  Or problems with a patent?

Offline GnomeZA

• Regular Contributor
« Reply #82 on: January 27, 2024, 08:17:23 pm »
I guess: there is nothing special inside an original JBC solder station, that chinese competitors can't do. Lack of experience at Aixun? They are founded 5 years ago, Yihua is on market 23 years.  Or problems with a patent?

JBC power the heater from an isolated AC supply, which is what Aixun is doing with the 420D.
The JBC cartridges only have 3 pins.
Think about it and you'll realise that your power for the heater needs to be floating in reference to earth and the thermocouple.

Offline bastler59

• Contributor
« Reply #83 on: January 27, 2024, 08:52:50 pm »
The switch controller in Aixun T320 that produce 24V and other voltages is also isolated from grid of course. Otherwise it would be a violation of electrical regulations.

« Last Edit: January 27, 2024, 08:56:02 pm by bastler59 »

Offline GnomeZA

• Regular Contributor
« Reply #84 on: January 27, 2024, 09:00:09 pm »
The switch controller in Aixun T320 that produce 24V and other voltages is also isolated of course. Otherwise it would be a violation of electrical regulations.

I think you misunderstand what I mean by isolation.
The thermocouple and the cartridge power are referenced to each other.
They share a common ground.  On Aixun T3A they even tie the ground to earth (might be the case for T320).

On the JBC stations and the Aixun T420D, the cartridge power supply is floating in respect to the thermocouple & control board supply.

On a JBC station & Aixun T420D they are powering the heater using AC from a mains frequency transformer (24v AC).
On the Aixun T3A/T320 they are power the heater cartridge from a switch mode power supply (24v DC).

On the JBC station and Aixun T420, they have an entirely independent winding for the control board, using a mains frequency transformer (additional 15v AC winding on T420D for example)
On the Aixun T3A/T320 the control board is powered from the same DC supply used to power the heater. (24v DC used by heater)

Look at the T245 pin-out.  A Thermocouple has micro-volts output between its two terminals.  And the heater and thermocouple share a pin.  That means you are forced to use the rear most pin as your 0VDC, if your supplies aren't isolated.  So there is a positive or negative DC voltage on the earth pin right at the tip of the iron.  And when you create parallel ground planes, that current will go places.  If your thermocouple and heater supply aren't referenced to each other your earth pin can be at 0v AC/DC eliminating this problem.
« Last Edit: January 27, 2024, 09:07:12 pm by GnomeZA »

Offline legodude

« Reply #85 on: January 28, 2024, 03:38:14 am »
I burned myself the first time I turned my T320 off. A little while with FreeCAD and I whipped up this finger protector.

Get it here: https://www.printables.com/model/741099-aixun-t320-soldering-station-finger-protector

mike

The following users thanked this post: micbanand, hasbihal, McCarthy

Offline bastler59

• Contributor
« Reply #86 on: January 28, 2024, 05:47:58 pm »
I used an power meter and a microcontroller to record the power consumption from grid.
I recorded 4 values each second. My T320 is cofigured to 120 °C in standby and 325 °C as soldering temperature.

1993831-0

A: Here power consumption goes up after booting - 75 W
B: Here I take handle out of holder - 173 W
C: I'm soldering on a pretinned steel plate with a C245-755 - 92 W max.
D: Placing handle back to holder, T320 takes no power for a while.
    Then station needs about 4 W to keep tip on 120 °C.

Offline bastler59

• Contributor
« Reply #87 on: January 28, 2024, 06:52:26 pm »
Here is another diagramm ...

1993858-0

E: I hold the handle in my hand and connect a grounded wire to the tip.
    Effect is not really strong.

F: Again I'm soldering on the steel plate. Then I connect the grounded wire to the plate.
    In the moment of connection power goes up to 115 W, releasing the ground connection,
    there are peaks up to 175 W (I repeated it several times). Duration about 2 sec each.

Offline Eltax1693

• Contributor
« Reply #88 on: February 10, 2024, 03:34:46 pm »
I replaced the capacitors [no-name] in the power supply and reduced the ESR with 50%.

X2 400V 120UF 30x18mm Pitch: 8mm
X4  35V 1000UF 20x10mm Pitch: 5mm
X1  50V   22UF 11x5mm Pitch: 2mm

Offline CaptainBucko

« Reply #89 on: February 10, 2024, 10:32:35 pm »
I replaced the capacitors [no-name] in the power supply and reduced the ESR with 50%.
Why did you do this?

Offline Eltax1693

• Contributor
« Reply #90 on: February 12, 2024, 03:09:02 pm »
My device is on 24/7. Want to extend lifespan.

Offline Eltax1693

• Contributor
« Reply #91 on: March 03, 2024, 04:10:56 pm »
Firmware 1.22 is available.

Offline McCarthy

« Reply #92 on: March 11, 2024, 04:31:44 am »
So what's the bottom line on this station? Good to go, or not?

Offline JNorton

• Contributor
« Reply #93 on: March 11, 2024, 12:31:39 pm »
I Like mine.  In my case soldering on earthed ground isn't a problem.  It provides plenty of heat for 6-layer boards and point-to-point tube wiring. With the smaller T210 handle, SMC projects are no problem.  I would buy it again.

The following users thanked this post: McCarthy

Offline ddv2005

« Reply #94 on: March 12, 2024, 06:52:37 am »
Hello,

I got my T320 today and..it is TERRIBLE! Temperature significantly drops and tip just stuck on pins, connected to the ground plane because of temperature drops (280C setting for 183C solder paste). Also I tried to melt 217C (actual temperature to melt is 210C) solder paste with 225C setting (15C above actual melt temperature) and it start  melts small amounts of paste but then just hardens even on tip.
I tried to use older firmware but all firmware bellow 1.09 give me "Power Off" message. Has anyone tested the T320 with firmware 1.11? How stable is your temperature?
« Last Edit: March 12, 2024, 06:58:10 am by ddv2005 »

Offline bastler59

• Contributor
« Reply #95 on: March 12, 2024, 12:14:30 pm »
I got my T320 today and..it is TERRIBLE! Temperature significantly drops and tip just stuck on pins, connected to the ground plane because of temperature drops (280C setting for 183C solder paste).
The heating and also temperature sensing should be inside the "barrel" of the solder cartridge. So depending on the shape and size of the tip, temperature may be lower there. You can use a solder thermometer to check it and add a correction value. Original parts are more expensive than your solder station and clones ... it's your decision, if you trust them.

I tried to use older firmware but all firmware bellow 1.09 give me "Power Off" message. Has anyone tested the T320 with firmware 1.11? How stable is your temperature?
I'm using 1.09, nothing to complain. And I don't need to solder on grounded areas.

Offline JNorton

• Contributor
« Reply #96 on: March 12, 2024, 12:35:20 pm »
Hello,

I got my T320 today and..it is TERRIBLE! Temperature significantly drops and tip just stuck on pins, connected to the ground plane because of temperature drops (280C setting for 183C solder paste). Also I tried to melt 217C (actual temperature to melt is 210C) solder paste with 225C setting (15C above actual melt temperature) and it start  melts small amounts of paste but then just hardens even on tip.

I've shown my tip attached to the line ground with no significant temperature difference.  I do not solder on a grounded plane and I don't know anyone who does.  My anti-static mat is grounded through a 1-megohm resistor.  My tube equipment is connected through an isolation transformer but I unplug it before working on it.  I'm using genuine JBL tips.
if you are dissatisfied with the irons performance try to return it.   I'm sorry to hear of your experience.

Offline ddv2005

« Reply #97 on: March 12, 2024, 02:32:27 pm »
I do not solder on a grounded plane and I don't know anyone who does.  My anti-static mat is grounded through a 1-megohm resistor.
I do not mean that the plane is real grounded,  I mean any large copper area that usually is ground plane on PCB. And I feel that tip sticking on pin connected to big copper area.

I have downgraded firmware to 1.09 and now it is much better.

P.S. I have T3A and never had any issues and when I compare T320 to T3A I see that T3A much more stable than T320 on 1.11

Offline bastler59

• Contributor
« Reply #98 on: March 25, 2024, 03:51:22 pm »
Spare handles:

I see handles that are advertised as for "T3A" or "T3B and T420D" - but I don't see handles for T320. I remember, that Aixum uses different plugs. Which one is the right for T320?

And: the plug of my T320 is made of plastic. I see handles, where the inner part of the plug  is made of plastic but with a bold nut for locking. Does those plugs also fit into the station? I guess not, because the plastic plug has a different locking mechanism.

Offline JNorton

• Contributor
« Reply #99 on: March 25, 2024, 07:57:24 pm »
It is only compatible with the T210 And T245 handles.

Share me

Digg  Facebook  SlashDot  Delicious  Technorati  Twitter  Google  Yahoo
Smf