Author Topic: New Aixun T320 - Any opinions on it? (with inside pics)  (Read 20054 times)

Offline RahbekTopic starter

New Aixun T320 - Any opinions on it? (with inside pics)
« on: October 27, 2023, 11:14:26 am »
So when I wanted to order an Aixun T3A a about 2 weeks ago, I noticed the T320 being added to the vendors inventory the same day.
Obviously I couldn't help myself and threw a little extra money at it and payed about ~150€ for the newer model.
At the time the only information I could find was an annoucement on the Aixun Website. Since this has barely changed since since then (there's now a short YouTube video by Aixun) I figured some of you might appreciate a few quick snaps of the insides of it.

As far as things Inoticed regarding build quality:
1) The molding for the plastics seems honestly like a shockingly good 10/10 for me.
2) There was however quite a bit of thin stringing/spider-webbing my the glue used on the inside that i removed before taking the pictures. I guess the glueing job was rather rushed. Beyond that it seemed quite solid.

I am however rather new to electronics, so I can't speak much for the actual components/board and the like - I'd be happy about any comments on that by someone more experienced. I didn't wanna take it apart entirely so you only get pictures of the boards in situ. Hope that's enough for a quick first impression. Otherwise let me know!

Link to the pictures on Imgur: https://imgur.com/a/O5wz1yl
Quick Coin Test: https://youtu.be/MJoKvbq-rU8

PS: The station came with 3 Aixun soldering Tips (extraordinary nice packaging for that too: nicely molded silicion bottom half and build in magnifier on the top half)
I wonder though how large the difference is compared to genuine JBC tips - anyone has some insights here? So far I avoided ordering those as getting a decent selection of 2-4 tips comes at 60-120€ locally here.
« Last Edit: November 02, 2023, 06:19:14 pm by Rahbek »

The following users thanked this post: BB3553AM

Offline ndarjo21

• Regular Contributor
Re: New Aixun T320 - Any opinions on it? (with inside pics)
« Reply #1 on: October 27, 2023, 05:47:18 pm »
Is the tip grounded to earth?

« Reply #2 on: October 29, 2023, 04:35:57 pm »
My Multimeter beeps yes :)

Offline vever001

« Reply #3 on: October 30, 2023, 02:57:33 am »
Thanks for this!
I was about to buy a T3A myself and then noticed this new T320 (as well as the AxxSolder project) so I decided to hold off, hoping to see some reviews.

I noticed many posts of users claiming that the Aixun tips are garbage (working for 30 mins then trashed). I don't know how much of that is true... but I assume they are probably not as good as genuine JBC ones.
I also noticed some users saying that the latest firmwares for the T3A/B made it incompatible to use genuine JBC tips which would be kind of a deal breaker. Is that true?
And is it the also the case with this new T320? or are JBC tips working?

Cheers
« Last Edit: October 30, 2023, 03:06:36 am by vever001 »

Offline ndarjo21

• Regular Contributor
« Reply #4 on: October 30, 2023, 07:44:58 pm »
Worth to try perhaps just try soldering in a coin like Steve or SDG electronics did in his video. Lol. Just to make sure the soldering station and or the tip can do the job properly

Offline ndarjo21

• Regular Contributor
« Reply #5 on: October 30, 2023, 07:47:59 pm »
And also callibrate the tips will give us good info, did it overshooting or not when in use? Like t3a problem right now.

Offline electronic_eel

• Regular Contributor
« Reply #6 on: October 31, 2023, 06:20:19 pm »
What kind of connector does the T320 station use to connect the handpiece to the station?

The T3A seems to use some random Chinese connector and not the Hirose RPC1 series connector that JBC uses. So you can't connect regular JBC handpieces. Did they change that with the T320?

Offline thm_w

• Super Contributor
  • Non-expert
« Reply #7 on: October 31, 2023, 09:32:12 pm »
You can see the connector in the video here:

Probably a clone RPC1. T3A uses a standard GX-12 5 style connectors.
Profile -> Modify profile -> Look and Layout ->  Don't show users' signatures

« Reply #8 on: November 01, 2023, 05:30:00 am »
Thanks for this!
I was about to buy a T3A myself and then noticed this new T320 (as well as the AxxSolder project) so I decided to hold off, hoping to see some reviews.
You're welcome - that was kinda my situation so I figured other's might have the same questions I had with near 0 information out there. The AxxSolder project I wasn't even aware off. Looks intriguing.

I noticed many posts of users claiming that the Aixun tips are garbage (working for 30 mins then trashed). I don't know how much of that is true... but I assume they are probably not as good as genuine JBC ones.
I also noticed some users saying that the latest firmwares for the T3A/B made it incompatible to use genuine JBC tips which would be kind of a deal breaker. Is that true?
Sadly I read that after ordering as that likely would've been a deal breaker for me as well. I ordered one genuine JBC tip for now and gonna report back when it arrives around end of the week (supposedly friday).
The Aixun tips so far - for the little soldering I did - were fine I guess except not the right shape for what i was doing. Maybe a total of 3-4h of soldering mostly through-hole components. So I wouldn't say I gave them any proper challenge yet, but they did last longer than the 30min for sure :)

Worth to try perhaps just try soldering in a coin like Steve or SDG electronics did in his video. Lol. Just to make sure the soldering station and or the tip can do the job properly
Kinda new to soldering so what's the setup for that test? I don't have any boards like SDG uses in his tests. Do I just have to put the tip on any coin and then try to melt some solder onto it or is there more to it that I am missing? Any preferred temp settings or such? I'm also using lead-free solder if that matters for the setup - he uses 60/40 I believe. If you walk me through it I can do it as soon as I have a free moment. For now only with the Aixun tips though and hopefully with a more suitably shaped JBC tip by end of the week.

And also callibrate the tips will give us good info, did it overshooting or not when in use? Like t3a problem right now.
I wasn't paying attention to the station while soldering honestly - kinda forgot :) I'll check next time. Also don't have a soldering thermometer - just using it out of the box atm without any additional calibration.

What kind of connector does the T320 station use to connect the handpiece to the station?
As thm_w says it looks like a RPC1 - wether it's a just a clone in looks or function as well I don't know. I attached a close up picture to the imgur link in my first post.
If there's an easy way for me to test compatibility without having a genuine JBC Handle on hand let me know.
« Last Edit: November 01, 2023, 05:40:14 am by Rahbek »

Offline ndarjo21

• Regular Contributor
« Reply #9 on: November 01, 2023, 10:26:23 am »
Perhaps if you have tm-902c or temperature feature in your digital multimeter you can check it.
What i think about coin test is, can the tip/station deliver thermal into the coin so solder can flow into it. With low temperature perhaps about 300C-330C. If it need higher temperature set in the station and the tip, the tip will have shorter life as far as i know.
Maybe you also can make video about the interface of the unit, i mean did it have preset temperature etc.

Offline electronic_eel

• Regular Contributor
« Reply #10 on: November 01, 2023, 12:47:14 pm »
As thm_w says it looks like a RPC1 - wether it's a just a clone in looks or function as well I don't know. I attached a close up picture to the imgur link in my first post.
Thanks. Yes, that looks like RPC1.

If there's an easy way for me to test compatibility without having a genuine JBC Handle on hand let me know.
You could order a RPC1 socket or plug on your next order at some distributor and then test compatibility. Basic measurements like diameter won't be enough to say if it is a proper fit.

But I'm not sure if it is worth the effort. I think it would be better to wait for someone that already has genuine JBC gear to order and test one of these stations and report back.

Offline hasbihal

• Contributor
« Reply #11 on: November 01, 2023, 05:18:17 pm »

If you live close to me, I can bring a genuine handle and some tips. I'm curious about tis model aswell, would be nice if I could get my hands on it before purchasing. I also am interested in the T420 model which I can purchase for ~200€.

BTW, AIXUN just announced a new station; the T413.

Offline Raziel92

• Contributor
« Reply #12 on: November 01, 2023, 05:58:01 pm »
Thanks for this!

Cheers

Im using t420d since december last year, used for professional use, 8-10 hours per day, 5-6days for week.

I have "killed" 2 c210 "k" tips, sleep time 5min, standby temperature 120, soldering temperature between 380 and 420

For the price of 5 euro per tip its not that bad i think

Offline ndarjo21

• Regular Contributor
« Reply #13 on: November 01, 2023, 09:35:47 pm »
Mate. Why you use so hot temperature for your tip?
Btw, what tips brand did you use?

Offline Raziel92

• Contributor
« Reply #14 on: November 02, 2023, 07:47:00 am »
I'v had original Aixun tips, now I bought oem jbc for test
Will see how long it will last, aixun 5 euro on Alli, jbc 36 euro on ebay

Offline ndarjo21

• Regular Contributor
« Reply #15 on: November 02, 2023, 08:41:55 am »
Mate, did this station (T320) also have problem with overshooting temps and grounded board?

and how about t420d?

the problem look like this

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=B7jLpHgR7fI&embeds_referring_euri=https%3A%2F%2Fwww.eevblog.com%2F&source_ve_path=MjM4NTE&feature=emb_title
« Last Edit: November 02, 2023, 08:44:52 am by ndarjo21 »

« Reply #16 on: November 02, 2023, 06:18:48 pm »
Perhaps if you have tm-902c or temperature feature in your digital multimeter you can check it.
What i think about coin test is, can the tip/station deliver thermal into the coin so solder can flow into it. With low temperature perhaps about 300C-330C. If it need higher temperature set in the station and the tip, the tip will have shorter life as far as i know.
Maybe you also can make video about the interface of the unit, i mean did it have preset temperature etc.
I'm afraid I don't - i cheaped out when buying my Fluke a few years back and settled for the 117. Regretting that a little :) So atm I don't have any temp measuring/calibration methods available.
As for the interface: it's pretty standard compared to the other Aixun units. I added pictures to the link in the first post again.

I have some goods news however: the JBC tip i ordered arrived today and it works fine as far as I can tell. My understanding from the T3A thread was that the sleep detection was broken? Did i miss something else about it?
I also did a coin test similar to the guy in the video linked by ndarjo21 - and of course I mean JBC not JCB in the video...

Hope this helps and if i missed something or you want me to do a different test let me know and I try too if it's within my possibilities right now :)

Mate, did this station (T320) also have problem with overshooting temps and grounded board?
I don't have a thermometer atm for testing actual temps but I'll look into getting one and I can do a grounded test next time I have something to solder on a board if I remember to :)
I also still need to check if there is any firmware updates and see what that changes.
« Last Edit: November 02, 2023, 06:39:06 pm by Rahbek »

Offline BB3553AM

• Contributor
« Reply #17 on: November 02, 2023, 07:30:55 pm »
Hello,

I think this unit is a good bet, I've actually bought it at this link: https://fr.aliexpress.com/item/1005006142169686.html?spm=a2g0o.cart.0.0.6923378dJa4Fjf&mp=1&gatewayAdapt=glo2fra

This price point is still reasonable before It will inevitably rise.

Offline ndarjo21

• Regular Contributor
« Reply #18 on: November 02, 2023, 11:36:17 pm »
Thanks very much mate. Hope it will be a good buy.
This station have wifi right?

New firmware btw https://www.aixuntech.com/newsinfo/aixun-t320-releases-v103-version/

Btw, more upcoming release aixun soldering station, t405, t435
« Last Edit: November 03, 2023, 12:55:13 am by ndarjo21 »

The following users thanked this post: BB3553AM

Offline BB3553AM

• Contributor
« Reply #19 on: November 03, 2023, 06:02:16 pm »
Hello Rahbek,

I think it has wifi, but is it really used for firmware update only ?

Offline ndarjo21

• Regular Contributor
« Reply #20 on: November 03, 2023, 08:46:06 pm »
Hello Rahbek,

I think it didnt have usb port, which make me feel unease to update the firmware if it really didnt have usb port. Lol

Offline BB3553AM

• Contributor
« Reply #21 on: November 03, 2023, 11:40:29 pm »
Hello Rahbek,

I think it didnt have usb port, which make me feel unease to update the firmware if it really didnt have usb port. Lol

I can understand that and this is not really what I expected to be honest...

ok now this becomes real gambling with this unit |O, because if the usb update happens to crash it could be a real problem indeed...

Offline ndarjo21

• Regular Contributor
« Reply #22 on: November 04, 2023, 09:13:27 am »
Maybe wait few months to look into upcoming release. It use linear transformer like t420d i think

« Reply #23 on: November 04, 2023, 03:56:06 pm »
Hello Rahbek,

Hello Rahbek,

It has a USB-C connector on the back as you can see on the imgur pictures.
The way it appears they seem to still be adding features to the firmware post release that have been advertised on the initial aixun website anouncement for the unit. V1.0 that it shipped with had no wifi related features at all. They advertised soldering profiles similar to their hotair station. Supposedly wifi will be used for updates and for downloading(?) or syncing such profiles from your pc.
My issue is I have a Mac and their software seems to be coming only as .exe files. gotta find a way to circumvent that.. :)

Offline ndarjo21

• Regular Contributor
« Reply #24 on: November 04, 2023, 10:28:16 pm »
Dont upgrade firmware if it work properly. Lol

Share me

Digg  Facebook  SlashDot  Delicious  Technorati  Twitter  Google  Yahoo
Smf