Author Topic: New soldering station, any thoughts on the JBC LC-1BTA?  (Read 3380 times)

Offline 5370H55VTopic starter

• Contributor
New soldering station, any thoughts on the JBC LC-1BTA?
« on: March 04, 2020, 06:34:10 pm »
So I was asked to purchase a new soldering station for my workplace and I'm trying to keep it below $250 USD.

My first choice was the Pace ADS200 with the set back stand, but the price seems to have increased from last time I checked (~$300 after taxes and discount code from tequipment instead of $230ish from memory before). I saw the JBC LC-1BTA (https://www.tequipment.net/JBC/LC-1BTA/Soldering-Stations/) which looks to be a new entry level product. It's a good price for a JBC and within my budget, anyone have any info or experience with it?

For reference, my home station is the Hakko FX-100 and I've used the FX888 and Metcal MX-500 in the past, how does JBC perform in comparison?
« Last Edit: March 04, 2020, 06:38:21 pm by 5370H55V »

Offline BlackICE

• Regular Contributor
Re: New soldering station, any thoughts on the JBC LC-1BTA?
« Reply #1 on: March 04, 2020, 10:24:54 pm »
Must be a new model. The specs and price seem to be good for a name brand product.

Offline digsys

• Supporter
    • DIGSYS
« Reply #2 on: March 04, 2020, 11:24:14 pm »
Damn, that's nice !! Takes both T245 and T210 handpieces !! Even though I have about a dozen JBCs, looks like I may suddenly need another one :-)
Hello <tap> <tap> .. is this thing on?

Offline thm_w

• Super Contributor
  • Non-expert
« Reply #3 on: March 04, 2020, 11:45:56 pm »
Looks like both do not have any tips, so add $12 to the pace or $28 to the JBC each. Not a huge difference, but might be worth noting.

See the inside here: https://www.jbctools.com/pdf/LC-B-Exploded-View.pdf
Manual: https://www.jbctools.com/pdf/ID-163152.pdf
Profile -> Modify profile -> Look and Layout ->  Don't show users' signatures

Online Shock

• Super Contributor
« Reply #4 on: March 05, 2020, 03:24:11 am »
Pace is about $258 and $277 after our discount. Rip Hakko, there are now two faster high wattage stations around the same price.

There seems to be a few things missing from JBCs other models noticeably the temperature presets and cable management arm. I assume they changed a few things around on purpose so they don't cannibalize too many sales of their more expensive models.

So they now have the easy to read display, if only it had an aluminum case, handpiece and detachable stand, cheaper more reliable tips, shorter working distance, better temp accuracy, less overshoot and totally calibration free. Then it could be the perfect station hhehehe. ;D
« Last Edit: March 05, 2020, 03:37:19 am by Shock »
Soldering/Rework: Pace ADS200, Pace MBT350
Multimeters: Fluke 189, 87V, 117, 112   >>> WANTED STUFF <<<
Oszilloskopen: Lecroy 9314, Phillips PM3065, Tektronix 2215a, 314

Offline Veteran68

• Frequent Contributor
« Reply #5 on: March 19, 2020, 08:54:51 pm »
I had my eye on this new JBC station too since the ADS200 I was looking at went up in price. I like the compactness of the JBC and of course the brand reputation (not that Pace is poor by any means).

However TEquipment has dropped it. They now list the LC-1STA (210 handle) model as Discontinued, and the LC-1BTA (245 handle) page gives a 404. I guess TEquipment can't get them anymore. :( And no other seller hits that I can find.

You can still find them on JBC's page but only by a model search, I don't see it listed in the product catalog anywhere. But it's not on their Discontinued Products page either. I was assuming it was a new release to compete with the ADS200 on price. I wonder if it was announced prematurely, or have they halted production for some reason?

Online Shock

• Super Contributor
« Reply #6 on: March 19, 2020, 11:06:39 pm »
Perhaps they were making them in China or worked out they couldn't sell them for that price?

The upside of detached stands is you can move them wherever without moving the whole station. The Pace can also be bracket mounted so yes it's a little larger footprint but also more flexible at the same time, so depends what your needs are.

Another thing to consider is no tweezer handpiece for this model (or the CD stations either). The Pace system tends to be more scalable and so detached stands are necessary. Still early days though for the Accudrive series, the older Pace Intelliheat series has about 10 different handpieces.
« Last Edit: March 19, 2020, 11:12:11 pm by Shock »

Offline 5370H55VTopic starter

• Contributor
« Reply #7 on: March 20, 2020, 08:03:44 pm »
So an update:
I actually placed an order in for this station 2 weeks ago. Apparently I was the first one to order it since tequipment had just put up the page and didnt have any in stock yet, so it went on backorder with the manufacturer.
Earlier this week I received a call from tequipment saying they were told by JBC the model was "not designed to work in the US" (despite documentation explicitly stating its 120V compatible) and refused to supply them with it. :-//

The CS rep I spoke to was very apologetic and was just as confused by JBC's statement as I was, but luckily made things right by offering the ADS200 for its previous price as a replacement once I explained it was my top choice before the price increase this year, so props to tequipment for their service. :-+
« Last Edit: March 20, 2020, 08:08:15 pm by 5370H55V »

The following users thanked this post: thm_w, tooki

Online Shock

• Super Contributor
« Reply #8 on: March 20, 2020, 10:09:57 pm »
Sounds like they backed out of supplying that model. As I mentioned if they were making it in China or using Chinese parts they could have huge supply issues right now. Europe may be about to close up shop very shortly as well. Congrats on the new station.

Offline Hydrawerk

• Super Contributor
« Reply #9 on: June 19, 2021, 01:39:57 pm »
Any news on JBC LCB station? I do not see it in shops. Was it cancelled or what?
https://www.jbctools.com/lc-b-ultra-compact-general-purposes-station-product-1668.html
Amazing machines. https://www.youtube.com/user/denha (It is not me...)

Offline wickated

• Frequent Contributor
« Reply #10 on: June 19, 2021, 08:49:22 pm »
told by JBC the model was "not designed to work in the US" (despite documentation explicitly stating its 120V compatible)
u know its transformer powered station, so u definitely need special SKU to work in US (not listed on JBC site) . JBC probably marked this station to low-end markets, like hakko like to do.

Offline Hydrawerk

• Super Contributor
« Reply #11 on: June 21, 2021, 09:52:00 pm »
An EMEA Area Sales Manager from JBC wrote me this:
this product it was made for Asian Market...
in Europe we are not selling it.
Even because it has been changed with actual CD-S / CD-B soldering stations
Amazing machines. https://www.youtube.com/user/denha (It is not me...)

Offline thm_w

• Super Contributor
  • Non-expert
« Reply #12 on: June 22, 2021, 12:34:38 am »
They list these PNs on the site:
- LC-1BTA 120 V
- LC-2BHA 230 V
- LC-2BIA 230 V

India site for 2BIA: https://www.indiamart.com/proddetail/jbc-lc-2bia-230-v-ultra-compact-general-purposes-station-23300031048.html $270
LC-2SIA: https://kaisertech.co.uk/jbc-lc-s-ultra-compact-precision-soldering-station $324 (with 3 tips)

Maybe if you are lucky someone will resell them, but nothing on ali/taobao I saw.
Profile -> Modify profile -> Look and Layout ->  Don't show users' signatures

Share me

Digg  Facebook  SlashDot  Delicious  Technorati  Twitter  Google  Yahoo
Smf