Products > Other Equipment & Products

Newbie Bench Recommendations

(1/5) > >>

zargnut:
Hi,

I have been building a newbie bench, and am working my way through a series of beginner theory/project books and kits. Any recommendations on other useful toys?

https://picasaweb.google.com/zargnut/BasementLab?authkey=Gv1sRgCIHSh8jytojxTw&feat=directlink

8086:
Could get yourself a logic analyser of some kind, they are rather useful. :)

zargnut:
how about HP 1650B Logic Analyzer

baljemmett:

--- Quote from: zargnut on February 28, 2011, 10:50:42 am ---how about HP 1650B Logic Analyzer

--- End quote ---

Depends a lot on what sort of work you'd be doing.  I have the 1650B and it's been very good at what it does -- in timing analysis mode, basically watching lots of parallel channels for a short 'time' after a trigger event (time in quotes because it stores transitions, not samples, so it can vary from nanoseconds to hours!)  In state analysis mode, well, I need to revisit the manual with a plentiful supply of coffee each time I want to use it...

However, if you're using modern devices, something that offers decoding of serial datastreams (SPI, I2C etc.) over a longer time / continuously is going to be vastly more useful -- which is why I'm thinking of getting something like the Saleae Logic to use when the 1650B is too cumbersome.

Nice bench, by the way!

Psi:
If you do projects with mains voltage then a variac is very useful.

Other ideas..

-Solder fume extractor
-Hot air rework
-Magnifying ring lamp

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

There was an error while thanking
Thanking...
Go to full version