Author Topic: Newbie Bench Recommendations  (Read 11688 times)

Offline zargnutTopic starter

• Contributor
Newbie Bench Recommendations
« on: February 28, 2011, 08:30:38 am »
Hi,

I have been building a newbie bench, and am working my way through a series of beginner theory/project books and kits. Any recommendations on other useful toys?

https://picasaweb.google.com/zargnut/BasementLab?authkey=Gv1sRgCIHSh8jytojxTw&feat=directlink

Offline 8086

• Super Contributor
    • Circuitology - Electronics Assembly
Re: Newbie Bench Recommendations
« Reply #1 on: February 28, 2011, 10:29:13 am »
Could get yourself a logic analyser of some kind, they are rather useful. :)

• Contributor
« Reply #2 on: February 28, 2011, 10:50:42 am »
how about HP 1650B Logic Analyzer

Offline baljemmett

• Supporter
« Reply #3 on: February 28, 2011, 12:57:14 pm »
how about HP 1650B Logic Analyzer

Depends a lot on what sort of work you'd be doing.  I have the 1650B and it's been very good at what it does -- in timing analysis mode, basically watching lots of parallel channels for a short 'time' after a trigger event (time in quotes because it stores transitions, not samples, so it can vary from nanoseconds to hours!)  In state analysis mode, well, I need to revisit the manual with a plentiful supply of coffee each time I want to use it...

However, if you're using modern devices, something that offers decoding of serial datastreams (SPI, I2C etc.) over a longer time / continuously is going to be vastly more useful -- which is why I'm thinking of getting something like the Saleae Logic to use when the 1650B is too cumbersome.

Nice bench, by the way!

Offline Psi

• Super Contributor
« Reply #4 on: February 28, 2011, 01:17:47 pm »
If you do projects with mains voltage then a variac is very useful.

Other ideas..

-Solder fume extractor
-Hot air rework
-Magnifying ring lamp

Greek letter 'Psi' (not Pounds per Square Inch)

• Contributor
« Reply #5 on: February 28, 2011, 01:46:31 pm »
I do not have any specific projects at this point, just tinkering. I found it relatively cheap on ebay.

http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&rt=nc&nma=true&item=390288490568&si=CE5uPdnvGkMKyXEtl97vlL84UIo%253D&viewitem=

so picked it up...
I installed an exhaust fan and a little solder filter fan, and magnifying light.

Clearly at this point I have more gear than knowledge... I will spend a bit of time trying to catch up.  :)
« Last Edit: February 28, 2011, 01:48:19 pm by zargnut »

Online Simon

• Global Moderator
  • Did that just blow up? No? might work after all !!
    • Simon's Electronics
« Reply #6 on: February 28, 2011, 06:13:46 pm »
The first thing a beginner should learn is to make do with very little  ;) My part choice was limited to what I could rip out of old TV's when I was a kid. The best thing to do with any hobby is buy stuff as you find you actually need it. this saves you money for the stuff you really do need (don't skimp on multimeter quality just to have a bit more left for a scope you may not use) and then when you do need more kit you will be in a better position to know what you want in it as you actually have a use for it. Working on this principle i am on my 3rd camera and quite happy.

Online Mechatrommer

• Super Contributor
  • reassessing directives...
« Reply #7 on: February 28, 2011, 06:25:21 pm »
the lab setup seems not so "beginner". i agree with Simon, the normal flow is to buy something if you feel you have a need for it. If you buy something you dont know what to do with it, then its something wrong somewhere.

am working my way through a series of beginner theory/project books and kits.
you can figure out what to buy from the series you read. if you are reading on basic analog design/opamp and such, then logic analyzer is useless, imho.
Nature: Evolution and the Illusion of Randomness (Stephen L. Talbott): Its now indisputable that... organisms “expertise” contextualizes its genome, and its nonsense to say that these powers are under the control of the genome being contextualized - Barbara McClintock

Online Simon

• Global Moderator
    • Simon's Electronics
« Reply #8 on: February 28, 2011, 06:29:10 pm »
do I see a future engineerin those pictures ?  ;D

• Contributor
« Reply #9 on: February 28, 2011, 06:33:39 pm »
All good advice. I readily concede that some of the TOYS are excessive... For that part, i confess an affinity for toys. I did review shopping lists for the projects ain the books and I don't think they will be useless in the future. The radio kits have some neat diagnostic sections which make use of the generator and oscilloscope.

All of the books address IC logic. One recommended simply a logic probe. So I expect the logic analyzer to sit under the bench for a while until I get to some of those projects. My Dad is an EE and Brother is a EE/ME so I am expecting the same sound advice (with a bit more condescension) from them.  In the mean time, I will put down the CC and pick up the iron. My kid has lots of ideas for things he wants to build. :)

Online Mechatrommer

• Super Contributor
« Reply #10 on: February 28, 2011, 06:33:55 pm »
ok now, from the pictures i can see all sort of things (piping, ducting, washing machine and a son), all are good. but one very important thing for me is missing... a computer, and probably a printer.
edit: ok now, maybe its you are using right now and located somewhere else (upstair?)
« Last Edit: February 28, 2011, 06:41:39 pm by Mechatrommer »
Nature: Evolution and the Illusion of Randomness (Stephen L. Talbott): Its now indisputable that... organisms “expertise” contextualizes its genome, and its nonsense to say that these powers are under the control of the genome being contextualized - Barbara McClintock

• Contributor
« Reply #11 on: February 28, 2011, 06:43:39 pm »
do I see a future engineerin those pictures ?  ;D

yes... He is quite the engineer... Much more so than me. Not bad for 5  :)

« Last Edit: February 28, 2011, 06:53:26 pm by zargnut »

• Contributor
« Reply #12 on: February 28, 2011, 06:49:03 pm »
ok now, from the pictures i can see all sort of things (piping, ducting, washing machine and a son), all are good. but one very important thing for me is missing... a computer, and probably a printer.
edit: ok now, maybe its you are using right now and located somewhere else (upstair?)

Clearly you are not picking up on my excessive nature yet  ;D ;D ;D Here is my mac pro workstation. I use it for medical informatics dynamic web programming.

https://picasaweb.google.com/lh/photo/jx88rhIXdvcHCR0xdmkbb9qg6EHA2Sp4JUFZ9S6_CqI?feat=directlink
« Last Edit: February 28, 2011, 06:52:25 pm by zargnut »

Online Simon

• Global Moderator
    • Simon's Electronics
« Reply #13 on: February 28, 2011, 07:04:36 pm »
oh boy 3 screens, lovely. Yes you certainly have another budding engineer in the house, he knows more about switches than I do  ;)

Online Mechatrommer

• Super Contributor
« Reply #14 on: February 28, 2011, 08:34:15 pm »
Clearly you are not picking up on my excessive nature yet  ;D ;D ;D Here is my mac pro workstation. I use it for medical informatics dynamic web programming.
truly excessive. more than what i need ;)

Offline mitpatterson

• Regular Contributor
« Reply #15 on: February 28, 2011, 10:05:42 pm »
do I see a future engineerin those pictures ?  ;D

yes... He is quite the engineer... Much more so than me. Not bad for 5  :)

Smart kid, can i hire him to help with my next project? lol for 5 he is damn smart, get him into MIT ASAP

Offline PetrosA

• Frequent Contributor
« Reply #16 on: March 01, 2011, 12:13:04 am »
It's great to see both an engaged kid and an engaged parent. The funny thing is that we tend to think that kids prefer watching TV or playing computer games. Not true. My 2.5 year old daughter would much rather work with daddy taking apart a door mechanism (we live in an old house with cast mechanisms that need greasing from time to time) or disassembling a hood fan motor to clean and oil it. What better way to spend time together and learn than doing something both of you enjoy? :)
I miss my home I miss my porch, porch

Online Mechatrommer

• Super Contributor
« Reply #17 on: March 01, 2011, 02:54:00 am »
my kids always want to work with me, and mostly treat mine as their own lab, taking things out as they like, no matter how many time i scold them. i bought them toys and last only a few minutes. they prefer treating my "real metal" hammer, plier etc as toys. i think i will provide some platform for them to play/lab around. so far i'm still struggling with my own.
« Last Edit: March 01, 2011, 02:56:03 am by Mechatrommer »

Offline PetrosA

• Frequent Contributor
« Reply #18 on: March 01, 2011, 05:23:08 am »
hehe. Mine's still struggling with words and she "conveniently" mixes up tools and toys. They both sounds like "toos" when she says them. I love it - don't get me wrong, but there are times when seeing a 40 lb. two and a half year old playing with high leverage cable cutters, #1 phillips screwdrivers or a 22 oz. claw hammer isn't very reassuring. And just try and take them away from her... ;)
I miss my home I miss my porch, porch

Online Simon

• Global Moderator
    • Simon's Electronics
« Reply #19 on: March 01, 2011, 06:34:04 am »
My dad would not have a TV when I was a kid, I played with lego and later got into electronics, the rest is history. I still can't find the time for TV, My workmates keep saying I'm from another planet

Online Mechatrommer

• Super Contributor
« Reply #20 on: March 01, 2011, 12:36:19 pm »
I still can't find the time for TV, My workmates keep saying I'm from another planet
same here. i have two, so i let my kids have them to watch cartoon.

Online Simon

• Global Moderator
    • Simon's Electronics
« Reply #21 on: March 01, 2011, 12:48:57 pm »
oh cartoons are the only things worth watching  ;)

Online Mechatrommer

• Super Contributor
« Reply #22 on: March 01, 2011, 01:55:19 pm »
oh cartoons are the only things worth watching  ;)
now i see your reason. here we have alot more usefull stuffs to watch. but i just dont have time for that, just on seldom occasion when i'm too tired with my work/hobby/project.

Online Simon

• Global Moderator
    • Simon's Electronics
« Reply #23 on: March 01, 2011, 05:35:47 pm »
The only thing I ever liked watching on TV was tom and jerry and similar luni tunes cartoons like roadrunner

Offline Kibi

• Supporter
« Reply #24 on: March 07, 2011, 08:04:33 am »
My dad would not have a TV when I was a kid, I played with lego and later got into electronics, the rest is history. I still can't find the time for TV, My workmates keep saying I'm from another planet

Lol, those exact words describe me and my upbringing.

Share me

Digg  Facebook  SlashDot  Delicious  Technorati  Twitter  Google  Yahoo
Smf