Author Topic: Pace ADS200 soldering station  (Read 359531 times)

Offline Elasia

• Frequent Contributor
Re: Newest Pace ADS200 production station (a JBC killer at $239??)
« Reply #200 on: April 02, 2018, 01:36:36 pm »
Shock:  Yeah that was a nice include... just curious how big is the fly swatter?  :-DD

Well this is the comparison from the brochure so I would say medium to large flies no problem.

OMG it really is a fly swatter! hahahahahha... yeah i'll keep that out for the mozzies in my backyard

Offline PACE-Worldwide

• Regular Contributor
    • PACE Worldwide Website
« Reply #201 on: April 02, 2018, 08:22:36 pm »
Sorry for the delay in answering your questions the past few days. I was incommunicado for the entire weekend -- at the WiFi-less in-laws house for Easter with the slowest internet connection ever!

Offline MacMeter

• Frequent Contributor
« Reply #202 on: April 02, 2018, 08:53:49 pm »
Sorry for the delay in answering your questions the past few days. I was incommunicado for the entire weekend -- at the WiFi-less in-laws house for Easter with the slowest internet connection ever!

Your participation is greatly appreciated! Thank you.
I hope folks can contain their questions to the threads topic, and not derail it with things the Pace support staff could tackle separately.

Offline PACE-Worldwide

• Regular Contributor
    • PACE Worldwide Website
« Reply #203 on: April 02, 2018, 10:06:15 pm »
@PACE-Worldwide

Aaron,

I have a question.. How would you compare new ADS200 to existing WJS100 station??
They seem very similar to me...

Thanks!!

Best regards,
Sinisa

That's because they are very similar. The ADS200 is a similar high power station like the WJS 100, with 120 Watts of power, the same all-metal case and similar transformer but there are some definite improvements:
  • AccuDrive Control Technology: Our new Blue Series Tip-Heater Cartridges are controlled by "AccuDrive": a much more accurate closed loop temperature management system. The tips use extremely accurate temperature sensors when compared to our previous IntelliHeat technology. As a result, the ADS200 does not require calibration.
  • Tip Variety: We are using the identical high-mass optimized tip shapes/geometries as the WJS 100 tip cartridges, but we have added 20 of the thinner, more popular standard tips that were available for our previous, non-high-powered stations (ST 50, ST 70, ST 30). While they may look the same, they ADS Blue Series Tips are not compatible with previous IntelliHeat or SensaTemp controlled stations  :-[
  • TD-200 Iron: The new TD-200 Iron is a brand new, all-metal handpiece, much more ergonomic than it's predecessor. It stays cool at the highest set temperatures for extended periods of time and is virtually indestructible to breakage (although I'm sure some of you out there may prove me wrong...). 
  • Preset Temperatures: The unit easily scrolls between 3 user-definable preset temperatures, something we were never able to do on previous models
  • It costs much less than the WJS 100! The ADS200 is only US$239/€ 225/£199 each vs WJS 100 US$360/€ 325/£265 each!

Aaron

The following users thanked this post: Shock, KL27x, helius, 2N3055, labjr, Dyaxxis, Elasia

Offline Dyaxxis

• Contributor
« Reply #204 on: April 03, 2018, 12:34:47 am »
Thanks for the info Aaron. If I may, I'd like to enquire on a couple of areas.

Tip Variety: We are using the identical high-mass optimized tip shapes/geometries as the WJS 100 tip cartridges, but we have added 20 of the thinner, more popular standard tips that were available for our previous, non-high-powered stations (ST 50, ST 70, ST 30). While they may look the same, they ADS Blue Series Tips are not compatible with previous IntelliHeat or SensaTemp controlled stations  :-[

I noticed there's also these series of tips for the "non-WJS" TD-100, which I've experienced as quite useful: https://paceworldwide.com/products/tips-and-nozzles/soldering-iron-tips/td100-tips/td100-tips/td100-smt-and-specialty-tips

I've never seen them for the WJS 100, which dare I say... influenced a decision I mentioned earlier in this thread. I personally hope some of these eventually transition to the ADS200.

It costs much less than the WJS 100! The ADS200 is only US$239/€ 225/£199 each vs WJS 100 US$360/€ 325/£265 each!

Correct me if I'm wrong, but looking at the US portal, it appears the ADS 200 combo is also priced less than the current pricing of the ST 50 w/o ISB cubby, which is currently priced at US$314.13.

Thanks again for all of the great information and correspondence so far. For all of the current and upcoming features, I'll eventually add an ADS 200 or likewise future "AccuDrive" station to my equipment setup.

Offline Elasia

• Frequent Contributor
« Reply #205 on: April 03, 2018, 12:43:32 am »
There should at least be tweezers sometime this summer and I agree with the other chip removal tips.. those are nice to have and hope they make the 2nd round of tip design/production.

Your not seeing things either with the price, they slashed the cost of the unit and the tips.. hell of a deal.  Throw in you got a dedicated mfg rep for this forum practically and your not going to beat that. 

Got 3 weeks to go on mine coming in x_x, hoping some of the other guys getting theirs this week can do some early reviews

Offline unmaker

« Reply #206 on: April 03, 2018, 05:03:35 am »
Now I just need to figure out how to come up with $400+ for a TJ-70 and some nozzles... :'(

I used to own a TJ-70 over 20 years ago and it was a great tool for the time and then tried a TJ-85 a few years ago. Despite their design differences, I noticed the performance is practically the same, yet the TJ-85 is much cheaper. My business needs transitioned to repairing/reworking technology mostly made today, which quickly limited their uses (which is why I eventually sold them).

Thank you for sharing that! The TJ-85 is definitely cheaper and the nozzles are as well. It still seems a bit expensive because the foot pedal alone, which is required, is around $140. The most cost effective solution for myself would be to find one of the older Sensatemp ones on ebay, along with a Sensatemp to Intelliheat adapter, to see whether a thermojet handpiece will suit my needs or not. Performance wise, I don't think there will be too much of a difference compared to the Intelliheat thermojet handpieces. If that's not adequate, I'll go with the Quick 861DW.

Offline alank2

• Super Contributor
« Reply #207 on: April 04, 2018, 12:48:35 pm »
It arrived yesterday and being on a rush firmware project for someone, I didn't get to open until early this morning!  Compared to my WES51, this thing feels and weighs like a tank!  It is really impressive and feels solid.  The aluminum iron feels/looks great, but I won't have time to try it out until later.

Offline Cliff MatthewsTopic starter

• Supporter
    • General Repair and Support
« Reply #208 on: April 04, 2018, 02:56:14 pm »
That's a nice VFD.. each time I see one I kick myself for flipping one off the bench a year ago..

The following users thanked this post: Bud, Dyaxxis

Offline alank2

• Super Contributor
« Reply #209 on: April 04, 2018, 03:00:45 pm »
I'm a VFD junkie - I don't know what it is about those glowing characters!!!

• Supporter
« Reply #210 on: April 04, 2018, 03:20:48 pm »
If there's TEA group, there should be help for other addictions.. it's not fair.  I still get sad dreams over this one.

Offline labjr

• Frequent Contributor
« Reply #211 on: April 04, 2018, 03:31:02 pm »
It arrived yesterday and being on a rush firmware project for someone, I didn't get to open until early this morning!  Compared to my WES51, this thing feels and weighs like a tank!  It is really impressive and feels solid.  The aluminum iron feels/looks great, but I won't have time to try it out until later.

It looks huge! Must be perspective distortion caused by the focal length of the camera lens.

Offline Dyaxxis

• Contributor
« Reply #212 on: April 04, 2018, 03:43:57 pm »
That's a nice VFD.. each time I see one I kick myself for flipping one off the bench a year ago..

That's quite funny!  :-DD

On a serious note, I'd never spend money on ANY piece of gear for the purpose of "envy." So much "expensive" gear I tried over many years only to find their features don't rationalize the ROI for my business. The JBC CD (which hilariously enough, the display is like a "CD Player") was a tough purchase but one that had the features I absolutely determined were necessary, and with the work I do, it's already paid for itself.

Now, the ADS200 is really showing how Pace is very serious about improvements over its previous cartridge based offerings and way more! If Pace can keep the momentum rolling, it will definitely be a major game changer! And yes, I'm planning on adding one to my gear very soon!
« Last Edit: April 04, 2018, 03:47:52 pm by Dyaxxis »

Offline Bud

• Super Contributor
« Reply #213 on: April 04, 2018, 04:00:17 pm »
By participating in this torum Pace has hit the right type of a crowd. Certainly is going to help them with sales.
Facebook-free life and Rigol-free shack.

Offline Elasia

• Frequent Contributor
« Reply #214 on: April 04, 2018, 05:17:50 pm »
By participating in this torum Pace has hit the right type of a crowd. Certainly is going to help them with sales.

Definitely.. our guys at the shop want to see mine when it comes in already to try out side by side a hakko

Offline Shock

• Super Contributor
« Reply #215 on: April 04, 2018, 10:20:12 pm »

Definitely.. our guys at the shop want to see mine when it comes in already to try out side by side a hakko

Start with this test first on the Hakko's case.

Soldering/Rework: Pace ADS200, Pace MBT350
Multimeters: Fluke 189, 87V, 117, 112   >>> WANTED STUFF <<<
Oszilloskopen: Lecroy 9314, Phillips PM3065, Tektronix 2215a, 314

Offline alank2

• Super Contributor
« Reply #216 on: April 04, 2018, 10:30:51 pm »
My quick review so far is that it is working great for me.  I did a couple of really tiny SMD resnet's today to see how small I could go and had no problem getting them done.  I was looking at the Hakko FX951 and the add on FM2032 for "micro soldering" until I found this and decided to try it instead.  It works for microsoldering just fine for me with the small compact aluminum iron handle and the much cheaper precision tips.  I also made one of my typical 1206 part sized boards with a tqfp44 and a mini USB jack with its small leads with no problems.  The chisel trip I tried was really good at part placement where I heat the pad and place the part using the chisel as a stop for horizontal movement.  Made in the USA, less costly, USA support and no extra iron to buy=win win for me.  I'll try to do a more formal review later with some pics if I get a chance.  Initial impression is good and I am picky.

The following users thanked this post: Cliff Matthews, labjr, Dyaxxis, unmaker

• Supporter
« Reply #217 on: April 05, 2018, 12:20:52 am »
Stay picky - we want to hear from you! BTW, does the handle stay cool like they say? (important for me..)

I just watched the TS-100 review with Louis Rossmann live, and he liked it for the money. When he finds the tips stay black and corroded after 1 week, he'll start to think seriously about about what Pace thinks about tip cladding QC. Buy crap, get the same. I can't hardly wait until my Pace arrives... I like Christmas (but this will be better, I can burn my ancient Weller).

*To get an idea of how quick people are settling for budget-bargain-basement iron's (with poor tips), it's worth a view.
https://bit.ly/2qb0fMs

**His post review (some corrections). IMHO, TS-100 users suffer from gadget love ignoring a poor tip ecosystem and quality.
https://bit.ly/2GBjitH

*** Edit - Links changed to bit-ly (YT links distract Pace thread focus..)
« Last Edit: April 06, 2018, 01:53:30 am by Cliff Matthews »

Offline alank2

• Super Contributor
« Reply #218 on: April 05, 2018, 12:25:49 am »
I didn't notice it at all, so for sure it didn't get hot.  I'll take notice next time I use it.  My old WES51 gets hot after awhile.

The following users thanked this post: Cliff Matthews, Dyaxxis

Offline labjr

• Frequent Contributor
« Reply #219 on: April 05, 2018, 04:02:51 am »

I was just watching the TS-100 review with Louis Rossman live, and he liked it for the money. When he finds the tips stay black and corroded after 1 week, he'll start to think seriously about about what Pace thinks about tip cladding QC. Buy crap, get the same. I can't hardly wait until my Pace arrives... I like Christmas (but this will be better, I can burn my ancient Weller).

I read somewhere that users think TS100 tips are better quality than T12 tips. But they also cost around $10. Priced as if the TS100 is top name in the  industry. IMO it's a bit of a novelty and convenient as a portable iron. But doesn't take the place of a good high quality bench station.

• Supporter
« Reply #220 on: April 05, 2018, 11:26:46 am »

I was just watching the TS-100 review with Louis Rossman live, and he liked it for the money. When he finds the tips stay black and corroded after 1 week, he'll start to think seriously about about what Pace thinks about tip cladding QC. Buy crap, get the same. I can't hardly wait until my Pace arrives... I like Christmas (but this will be better, I can burn my ancient Weller).

I read somewhere that users think TS100 tips are better quality than T12 tips. But they also cost around $10. Priced as if the TS100 is top name in the  industry. IMO it's a bit of a novelty and convenient as a portable iron. But doesn't take the place of a good high quality bench station.
Yup, likely the reason Dave doesn't take this FAD too seriously (it smells like :bullshit: with hundred cash-hungry copy-cat Asian mfg's selling much, but producing nothing of any quality).

Offline VEGETA

• Super Contributor
  • I am the cult of personality
    • Thundertronics
« Reply #221 on: April 05, 2018, 12:07:16 pm »
I'm planning a US$150 station shootout, sadly this one at US$250 is a tad outside that.

That would be a nice video, but I suggest you do one for -100$ like the cheap (and reliable) Chinese stations. It could be 2 videos like the multimeter shootout (50$ and 100$).

Looking forward to it.

• Supporter
« Reply #222 on: April 05, 2018, 01:35:59 pm »
I'm planning a US$150 station shootout, sadly this one at US$250 is a tad outside that.

That would be a nice video, but I suggest you do one for -100$ like the cheap (and reliable) Chinese stations. It could be 2 videos like the multimeter shootout (50$ and 100$).

Looking forward to it.
Given that Dave has a finite amount of time, how can "reliable" be established in a shootout?

Offline Shock

• Super Contributor
« Reply #223 on: April 05, 2018, 03:48:14 pm »
Mike has the first video up. Looks like he has found 3 DOA tips (out of the 11 so far received).
Sort of expecting a bit of a postmortem or at least a measurement of the tips but perhaps he was saving it for another video :D

Aside from a problem with a few tips looks like it melts solder well! Excited!

Soldering/Rework: Pace ADS200, Pace MBT350
Multimeters: Fluke 189, 87V, 117, 112   >>> WANTED STUFF <<<
Oszilloskopen: Lecroy 9314, Phillips PM3065, Tektronix 2215a, 314

The following users thanked this post: Cliff Matthews, labjr

Offline alank2

• Super Contributor
« Reply #224 on: April 05, 2018, 03:55:12 pm »
I've only tried 4 tips so far, but all of them seem to work fine and melt solder.  Looking forward to the video later when I get a chance to watch it.

Share me

Digg  Facebook  SlashDot  Delicious  Technorati  Twitter  Google  Yahoo
Smf