Author Topic: Pace ADS200 soldering station  (Read 359575 times)

Offline Dyaxxis

• Contributor
Re: Newest Pace ADS200 production station (a JBC killer at $239??)
« Reply #25 on: January 26, 2018, 07:39:26 am »
Just noticed that reply on my YouTube enquiry. My completely random assumption is that after much consideration, it was much more economical and feasible to start with a completely new standard and lineup, whilst supporting and eventually phasing out some of the older series (again, just my wild guess from noticing their lineups over the years).
So that makes the 4th generation of Pace handpiece connectors:
1. 1960s 117V Thermodrive (NEMA 5-15 socket)
2. 1980s Sensatemp (circular connector w/ black collar)
3. 2000s Intelliheat (circular connector w/ blue collar)
4. 2018 Accudrive (don't know if this will be color coded)

It's worth remembering that there was limited backwards compatibility for earlier generations. For example, Intelliheat stations could use Sensatemp handpieces with an adapter cable, and certain Sensatemp stations like the PPS400 could be used to control the temperature of 117V tools.
There was a special connector for the HeatWise and TempWise stations (the red collar) that was equivalent to Intelliheat, without the backwards compatible capability.

Wow! Great historical reference! I just remembered the heatwise/tempwise looked a lot like the IntelliHeat pieces.

Funny thing is at least one company makes aftermarket handpieces for the “ThermoDrive” (one of them being A.P.E.).

Offline Corporate666

• Supporter
  • Remember, you are unique, just like everybody else
« Reply #26 on: January 29, 2018, 12:31:40 am »
I hope Dave will eventually manage to do a review of this unit.  I have all Pace stations at work and I love them.

I started off with Weller in the beginning, then moved to Metcal, then picked up a Pace and found it far far superior to the Metcal. 

I have a bag of Pace tips and I think in about 7 years I have MAYBE gone through about 2 or 3 tips with countless tens of thousands of soldered connections.  I don't know what it is about Pace tips, but they just do not die.  On the other hand, Metcal tips were lasting me a couple of months before they would corrode and disintegrate. 

The Pace heats up faster and has just as much power and thermal capability as the Metcal, if not more, and I can adjust the temp to whatever I want.  I would never go back to Metcal.

So very curious how Dave likes this new unit!
It's not always the most popular person who gets the job done.

Offline Cliff MatthewsTopic starter

• Supporter
    • General Repair and Support
« Reply #27 on: January 30, 2018, 03:54:29 pm »
So very curious how Dave likes this new unit!
I thought Dave said in #4 it didn't fit his criteria (something about leading horses to water comes to mind..)
I guess I'm going too just piss my wife off and buy one.

Offline Dyaxxis

• Contributor
« Reply #28 on: February 02, 2018, 07:10:06 am »
...I guess I'm going too just piss my wife off and buy one.

If you do, I hope your wife realises it's "investment potential."  :)  I'll also keep an eye out if you or anyone decides to review it.

I'm still watching for more details from Pace concerning the ADS 200, mainly:
  • Implementing all current tip shapes from regular and "gold series" tips into the AccuDrive line
  • New tweezers with all available Pace mini-tweezer tips shapes.
  • New tweezers incorporating "cool handle" tech as the new soldering pencil does.
  • New tweezers incorporating ISB (not currently implemented in the MT-100, so I have a bit of a doubt).

I'll stay tuned...

The following users thanked this post: Cliff Matthews

Offline ransonjd

• Contributor
« Reply #29 on: February 12, 2018, 01:10:00 am »
I think they're debuting this at IPC APEX, so maybe I'll be able to give it a try there.

The following users thanked this post: Dyaxxis

• Supporter
« Reply #30 on: February 12, 2018, 01:46:00 am »
I think they're debuting this at IPC APEX, so maybe I'll be able to give it a try there.
Nice, ask them if they're still sending one to Dave.. If they give you a shrug, point them to their own public YouTube comments.  :popcorn:

Offline ransonjd

• Contributor
« Reply #31 on: February 28, 2018, 04:13:57 am »
It seems like a pretty nice unit. I got to poke at one for a bit on the APEX show floor. I tested a small tip on a lightweight test board, and it got nice contact with SOP leads and quickly flowed the solder. The tip stayed wet well, and I was able to work several solder joints in a row without re-tinning. The handle does seem to stay cool.  I'm planning on going back later this week and testing a heavier tip on some pennies.

It sounds like their tips may not have the temperature sensor right in next to the end, but it sounds like they're all going to be available for $10-15. At least at present, their tip selection looks good, but mostly run of the mill. They didn't show anything like the JBC wide blades or other less common but useful tips.

They had prototype tweezers for the unit, but they're still a few months out from production. They had a twist mechanism on each handle to allow you to easily adjust the angle of the tips. They also have a stand with a mechanical switch for detecting the handpiece that will be coming out later.

It sounds like, in the distant future, they may be introducing something like their MBT350 unit that supports the new handpieces.  However, they didn't have a timeframe for it.

Let me know if there's anything in particular I should report on.

The following users thanked this post: Cliff Matthews, Dyaxxis

• Supporter
« Reply #32 on: February 28, 2018, 12:43:26 pm »
Dave, it looks like you have some "boots on the ground" at APEX. Maybe Ransonjd can get them to come good on their YouTube promise and send you one so we all can see this thing close-up?

Offline ransonjd

• Contributor
« Reply #33 on: February 28, 2018, 08:28:16 pm »
Have some photos.

I soldered together some pennies with a mini-wave tip using some chipquik tacky flux and the solder wire they happened to have at their display. It didn't feel like the iron had a hard time at all, but pennies are still easier than a heavy ground plane.

The units are stackable, and the extrusion used for the case seems like it could be easily bolted to the underside of a shelf.

I asked about sending one off to Dave. It sounds likely, but not guaranteed.

The following users thanked this post: Cliff Matthews, Capa-Alpha, Dyaxxis

Offline PA4TIM

• Super Contributor
  • instruments are like rabbits, they multiply fast
    • PA4TIMs shelter for orphan measurement stuff
« Reply #34 on: February 28, 2018, 08:34:08 pm »
The units are stackable, and the extrusion used for the case seems like it could be easily bolted to the underside of a shelf.

My MBT250 has those slots too. For some time I want it under the bench instead of on the bench. Never thought using those slots. Thanks  ;)
www.pa4tim.nl my collection measurement gear and experiments Also lots of info about network analyse
www.schneiderelectronicsrepair.nl  repair of test and calibration equipment
https://www.youtube.com/user/pa4tim my youtube channel

• Supporter
« Reply #35 on: February 28, 2018, 08:39:04 pm »
I wonder if they ship by default with ISB on the back (I recall a "cubby mod" out there somewhere..).

Online mikeselectricstuff

• Super Contributor
    • Mike's Electric Stuff
« Reply #36 on: February 28, 2018, 08:47:11 pm »
..well at least it doesn't have a stupid TFT touchscreen or bloody wifi  ;)

Youtube channel:Taking wierd stuff apart. Very apart.
Mike's Electric Stuff: High voltage, vintage electronics etc.
Day Job: Mostly LEDs

Offline ransonjd

• Contributor
« Reply #37 on: February 28, 2018, 08:52:56 pm »
One thing that impressed me about Pace was that everything worked as their demo team expected. At Weller, one of their handpieces was jammed so you couldn't remove the cartridge, and it took a couple tries for them to show how to configure one of the units. Also, the Weller circular touch dial on the WX series seems like a horrible idea.

The following users thanked this post: Cliff Matthews, Dyaxxis

Offline KL27x

• Super Contributor
« Reply #38 on: February 28, 2018, 09:00:29 pm »
It's a different market.

Pace makes equipment for production use. This is the stuff a smart purchasing decision maker will buy for a production line/environment, perhaps never using this equipment themselves, even.

I think a higher percentage of JBC users are doing design work and prototyping/debuggin/repair. And probably they are often the guy making the purchase decisions (their own boss, equipment procurer). Nothing about JBC makes financial sense for long term hard use. They're in the business of fishing for fishermen. If having JBC on your bench makes you happy, then it's worth it. Like a CEO driving a Ferrari, why not? The guys that are doing the heavy soldering don't care about the LCD screen and the 3 second warm up time. 
« Last Edit: February 28, 2018, 09:04:29 pm by KL27x »

The following users thanked this post: Dyaxxis, ransonjd

Offline PA4TIM

• Super Contributor
  • instruments are like rabbits, they multiply fast
    • PA4TIMs shelter for orphan measurement stuff
« Reply #39 on: February 28, 2018, 09:35:45 pm »
And that is why I love my Pace. I solder a lot (repair work, not the usual stuff. I  often have to repair/rebuild boards by desoldering all parts, testing them and replace them)
It is not shiny, sleek looking, no fancy functions or displays. Just functional. The handpieces are rather big, it heats up not very fast . But it is build like a tank, I can leave it on the whole day. Plenty of power. Desoldering RF shielding is no problem.  Yesterday was the first time the SX100 became a bit hot in my hands. That was after desoldering four 40 pin boxconnectors (160 pins from a 4 layer board, without any pauze). The unit is around 20 years old or so. I replaced de PS80 a few years ago and last year the SX70 for a SX100. The pump is still like new. Never replaced a single part, cleaned it once, but that turned to be not necessary. .The few times I  had a question or needed advise they helped me fast and good.

Because it was so old and much used I made the mistake to replace it with a Metcal station a few years ago. I threw that pile of junk out after less then  1.5 years of use. (worn parts: two solder handpieces, two desolder handpieces, more tips as my pace used in 5 years and 2 worn pumps.)
When the second handpiece cable became over 100 degrees C and Metcall told me that is a known fault but mine was outside the warranty  I had had it and threw it out. over 1600 euro wasted. 
I was so happy I had kept my Pace as backup set. (I also have a Weller WS-81 station, nothing wrong with that. I use it for smd and as a back-up, I can not work without solder gear)

So for me it is Pace forever.
www.pa4tim.nl my collection measurement gear and experiments Also lots of info about network analyse
www.schneiderelectronicsrepair.nl  repair of test and calibration equipment
https://www.youtube.com/user/pa4tim my youtube channel

The following users thanked this post: bsudbrink

Offline Bud

• Super Contributor
« Reply #40 on: March 08, 2018, 07:07:19 pm »
A local merchant started ads for the ADS200 and i am ready to pull the trigger but can't find information which tip(s) it comes with, if any. If no tip is included that would be a cheap trick from Pace to artificially reduce price. Do anyone know what cartridge is included ?

Edit: confirmed with the merchant - does not include any tip cartriges, must buy separately.  :-\
« Last Edit: March 08, 2018, 07:53:01 pm by Bud »
Facebook-free life and Rigol-free shack.

Offline labjr

• Frequent Contributor
« Reply #41 on: March 10, 2018, 06:59:09 pm »
I may get this if the reviews are good. I bought an FX-888D to replace my Weller but really wanted a better iron with even faster recovery and better thermal capacity. I wonder if it's programmable to go into sleep mode. Because I really don't think I need a $60 instant setback stand for electronic repair work.

Edit: Actually don't know what the model with the instant setback stand will sell for. I was looking at some wrong info.
« Last Edit: March 10, 2018, 07:07:11 pm by labjr »

• Supporter
« Reply #42 on: March 10, 2018, 09:30:40 pm »
I may get this if the reviews are good. I bought an FX-888D to replace my Weller but really wanted a better iron with even faster recovery and better thermal capacity. I wonder if it's programmable to go into sleep mode. Because I really don't think I need a $60 instant setback stand for electronic repair work.

Edit: Actually don't know what the model with the instant setback stand will sell for. I was looking at some wrong info.
You may want to read this before you order it with ISB https://www.eevblog.com/forum/reviews/pace-set-back-controls/
One thing I hoped Dave would show (if he decided to let them ship one), is the possibility of easy DIY instant-set-back on the new model.
This is all the ST models require:

The following users thanked this post: labjr, Dyaxxis, RobinBlood

Offline labjr

• Frequent Contributor
« Reply #43 on: March 12, 2018, 05:57:49 pm »
Thanks for the diagram. I just spoke to a PACE distributor here in the USA. They say the ISB stand will be available as an accessory (no price or availability yet), so I imagine the base model will have the port on the back.

Offline labjr

• Frequent Contributor
« Reply #44 on: March 12, 2018, 11:04:45 pm »
I did even better and spoke to tech support at Pace. He told me pretty much the same thing. So I guess it will have the port on the back.

He also told me it can be programmed to setback if there's no thermal load detected for a period and it will wake up when you put the tip of the iron on the wet sponge for a few seconds or flip the power switch off and back on. 10 minutes is the minimum setting.

That may be good enough for me. I'm not using it for production.

• Supporter
« Reply #45 on: March 13, 2018, 10:51:16 pm »
It's confirmed, in a few weeks Pace will send one so we can all get a good look!

Offline labjr

• Frequent Contributor
« Reply #46 on: March 14, 2018, 12:00:05 am »
Great news! I can't wait for Dave to put it though its Paces! :-DD

I'm thinking Pace felt they needed something for the hobbyist. I'm trying to figure out what they cut out of this model? Or are the just low-balling the price to gain marketshare? A lot of competition out there. I hope Dave compares it to the FX-951 for performance and value.

I like soldering station wars. Brings better technology for cheaper money. I'd like to see the cost of tip cartridges go under $10.

TEquipment has it listed for $219 US. Do I hear $199 anyone?

« Last Edit: March 14, 2018, 12:05:16 am by labjr »

• Supporter
« Reply #47 on: March 14, 2018, 01:10:13 am »
They likely don't have password protected temperature limits on this model (so production workers can't screw things up).

Offline Dyaxxis

• Contributor
« Reply #48 on: March 14, 2018, 02:24:48 am »
I'm thinking Pace felt they needed something for the hobbyist. I'm trying to figure out what they cut out of this model? Or are the just low-balling the price to gain marketshare? A lot of competition out there. I hope Dave compares it to the FX-951 for performance and value.

I'm probably reaching with this, however...

From the information replied in my YouTube comment (under my YouTube username), a very big part could be making it "AccuDrive only", which reduced the possible complexity costs associated with IntelliHeat (retro compatible with SensaTemp). Another thing I noticed is that the cartridge based hand pieces are priced less than their SensaTemp equivalents (though the cartridges themselves are usually priced higher than non cartridge tips). Mostly guesses on my part.

I like soldering station wars. Brings better technology for cheaper money. I'd like to see the cost of tip cartridges go under $10.

I agree x1000! I personally look forward to their newer tech offerings.
« Last Edit: March 14, 2018, 02:28:37 am by Dyaxxis »

Offline labjr

• Frequent Contributor
« Reply #49 on: March 14, 2018, 02:58:32 am »

I'm probably reaching with this, however...

From the information replied in my YouTube comment (under my YouTube username), a very big part could be making it "AccuDrive only", which reduced the possible complexity costs associated with IntelliHeat (retro compatible with SensaTemp). Another thing I noticed is that the cartridge based hand pieces are priced less than their SensaTemp equivalents (though the cartridges themselves are usually priced higher than non cartridge tips). Mostly guesses on my part.

I agree x1000! I personally look forward to their newer tech offerings.

I'm thinking that since they increased the wattage of the system to 120w maximum output, they had to use a different system of tips with heating elements of lower resistance. Thus making the old tips incompatible with the new drive system. The tips are priced about the same. So no big deal as long as there's availability. If it heats up in like 3 seconds and performs well it may well become popular. It will be deemed successful when aftermarket cartridges and parts are  available from Bangood, Aliexpress and everywhere.

Then Hakko will have to make an iron that puts out 200w and heats in under a second for $98. I want to be able to weld a trailer hitch.

Share me

Digg  Facebook  SlashDot  Delicious  Technorati  Twitter  Google  Yahoo
Smf