Author Topic: Pace ADS200 soldering station  (Read 359587 times)

Offline MacMeter

• Frequent Contributor
Re: Newest Pace ADS200 production station (a JBC killer at $239??)
« Reply #250 on: April 06, 2018, 01:45:35 am »
What has TS100 to do with this PACE station? Those are completely different market sections. There are people buying JBC, and there are people buying clone 936, and there are people buying something in between, ranging from TS100, FX888/WES51 to this entry level PACE, then maybe Metcal. Just keep your own dick in your own vice and who cares if the others buy anything else?
Sorry, it's my fault for posting that :palm:  I'm concerned for budget novices now treating "our most crucial tool in electronics" like a disposable gadget. Meanwhile, pro's (like Louis R.) are saying almost nothing about tip ecosystem quality vs. bench/shop productivity.
Please predict where this will lead: With T-12 tips coming to market from hole-in-the-wall sources everywhere, who guarantee's them? Who stands to loose if quality slips? Who measures plating thickness or does thermal cycling to certify quality?

Cliff, I love ya, but must agree with you. You are an old FART. I can say that, since I’m one as well. But I think regarding this topic, I’m a bit more open minded.

To “labjr”, if you searched my posts, you probably already knew I indeed recently purchased a TS100.

What I’ll say to you both, reflecting my own personal opinions of course, and anyone else is: 

It seems hard if not impossible to form a definitive opinion on a product that one does not either own or have personally used. A very few, members here have voiced such opinions recently, for whatever reason. I believe in this case it is a disservice to the many newbie solder users like myself. Not everyone can afford what someone can, or have the same requirements for soldering projects.

Speaking for myself only, a hobbyist at best, I don’t need a professional soldering station with its potential advantages. And while I can afford a Hakko 951, or a Pace ADS200, both seemingly good deals, I don’t NEED one. So for me to get into the new world of direct drive temp sensing tips, having a much lower cost alternative to a full up bench soldering station is a good thing. And for the many that like me, don’t need or require a more expensive station having a lower cost version of a direct drive tip system, or specifically simply don’t have the MONEY for such, having a low cost alternative is yet another good thing. As well as another feature that must be mentioned, is the battery operated ability this unit has over a bench unit. Not something I have currently have much use for, but certainly a huge plus for many.

Sure, like many I base a good part of my buying decisions on articles and reviews. Oddly enough, I have yet to read or watch a bad review of the inexpensive TS100 soldering iron. Can’t recall anyone saying the available tips are not good, or get brown etc., some have reported long life, and equally as good as Hakko T-12 tips. In fact the only negative things I’ve read are from posters that never owned or used one. Not surprising, this gets into fanboy territory.

As far as folks practically begging our Dave Jones to review a TS100, he made a very logical response in one thread; “why, so I can confirm your purchase?” And he is SPOT ON, we all like to believe our hard earned money went for the best product we could afford at the time. I don’t need to see anymore reviews, just remember the TS100 has been on the market for over 1.5 years, there are plenty of reviews, as well as opinions. I’ve watched and read most of them, and was surprised if not shocked, not on the positive reviews, but by the experience and knowledge of some of those reviewers. Most of them with tons more solder expertise then I will ever have, and maybe you?

I believe it just pisses people off, that an inexpensive Chinese product can approach the usability of a more expensive dedicated solder station. As a fairly good product researcher, I’ll say this, while this product has been out for a decent amount of time, I would hope to assume a Hakko 951, Pace ADS200, would last and perform for a longer period, based on previous product longevity and initial cost. But since these are NEW products we can’t say for sure, though a good bet perhaps, we can only assume. And from reports of actual long term owners, the smaller tips designed and sold for this are a non issue, as good as Hakko T12 tips. Those are real world users, some with as much or more experience then some here. And some of those owners, have in fact favored a TS100 over their previous bench stations, many of those costing much, much more. You can argue all of the above, longevity, egonomics, tip selection, customer support, etc. But for someone on a low budget, you can’t argue the price point. What you get for your money, is something every individual will have to decide for themselves, and should not be effected by those with no first hand knowledge.

Let me also state, I’m not now or ever have been a “fan boy” of any consumer product, or brands. That’s simply a road to disappointment! If like many here, I had to solder professionally, or solder a lot, I would probably buy the Pace ADS200, as I dislike the Hakko temp adjust interface. Why buy those? Well, the two units mentioned should, by company history, last longer, hopefully be more robust with all day use, more tip selections and hopefully have better customer support. If you have the budget, these both seem like solid performers. Are there downsides to a TS100, well if you need to save money, you KNOW the answer to that. Life, like consumer electronics is full of compromises. Nothing I found hard to overcome, but how much or how little you want to be involved in the products you choose based on your own criteria, is up to the individual. Depending on the package you order, all of the mentioned products here can be used out of the box. Besides additional tips, you may need to buy some additional inexpensive products to get better performance from a TS100, like a $25 24 volt  power supply, if you don’t already have an old compatible laptop supply. The Hakko 951 comes with the tip temp sleep stand I believe, the similar Pace iron stand is extra. I bought a separate stand from Hakko, for approximately $20. I’d rather not put my TS100 on the table! So the discussion should end up being about the ability of the tool to do the job for the required price point.

Flip side, one could afford 3-4 TS100’s over these two dedicated bench stations.

But with that said, so far I don’t see any proven reasons to dissuade those on a shoe string budget not to get into the newest technology direct drive tip sensing irons, like a TS100. I don’t see the need to bash other viable devices, especially ones people have no first hand experience with, just as Dave said, to “verify” their own purchases. That’s a kids game. Try and be happy with whatever you decide to buy, remembering the next model TS200, and ADS300, will somehow be BETTER.

Now please, so we can all stay GROUNDED, I love to hear from the real “ole timers”, that built and soldered for many years, with those old branding irons, it serves to remind me, just how good we have it now a days!

The following users thanked this post: Bassman59, Cliff Matthews

Offline alank2

• Super Contributor
« Reply #251 on: April 06, 2018, 01:48:19 am »
Can you look down into the handle and see if you see a rubber grommet. It seems to move around in my handle like it fell out of a slot or is torn.

I looked inside mine, but I don't see the rubber grommet at all.  Maybe I can't see it, but I just see the contacts at the bottom.

The following users thanked this post: luma

Offline MacMeter

• Frequent Contributor
« Reply #252 on: April 06, 2018, 01:57:42 am »
What has TS100 to do with this PACE station? Those are completely different market sections. There are people buying JBC, and there are people buying clone 936, and there are people buying something in between, ranging from TS100, FX888/WES51 to this entry level PACE, then maybe Metcal. Just keep your own dick in your own vice and who cares if the others buy anything else?

You are 100% right and I apologize for getting into a stupid debate. I wrote earlier on trying to keep the thread on topic, and not about old unit “knobs” etc. Sorry, I’m just following this thread as this Pace unit is very interesting as it competes price wise with the Hakko. For now, I will have to make do with my toy TS100. Sorry for off thread topic posts.

Offline Shock

• Super Contributor
« Reply #253 on: April 06, 2018, 02:12:18 am »
And while I can afford a Hakko 951, or a Pace ADS200, both seemingly good deals, I don’t NEED one.

Good, Cliff was only pointing out it's refreshing to see an affordable professional station at $206 shipped (which is a big drop in price) and not more made for China type products (which are going up in price). Since this station is 120W it's not really comparable to anything else around at the same price or cheaper, so it wouldn't make sense to compare the products.
Soldering/Rework: Pace ADS200, Pace MBT350
Multimeters: Fluke 189, 87V, 117, 112   >>> WANTED STUFF <<<
Oszilloskopen: Lecroy 9314, Phillips PM3065, Tektronix 2215a, 314

The following users thanked this post: Elasia

Offline Cliff MatthewsTopic starter

• Supporter
    • General Repair and Support
« Reply #254 on: April 06, 2018, 02:18:12 am »
MacMeter - Thanks.. (nice thoughtful writing too).

blueskull - sorry, to kill this distraction I changed the links to the Rossmann review.

The following users thanked this post: MacMeter

Offline joeqsmith

• Super Contributor
« Reply #255 on: April 06, 2018, 02:48:35 am »
The only problem I have had was one time the password and other settings became corrupt.   There was no information about how to clear it on their site.  No 24 hour hot line.  So a bit of reverse engineering required to solve it.   IMO, this is a design flaw and not to have a documented way to recover it is a fail.    It has never happened since and that iron sees a lot of use.   

https://www.eevblog.com/forum/reviews/pace-sodrtek-st-45-factory-reset/msg812698/#msg812698

My iron is all original, including the tips.   If I buy a brand new one, is it going to be as reliable?

Looks like the PACE rep decided not to answer my question about reliability.   

I've been using the Intelliheat series and really like the Minitweeze.  If I get a new station, it's going to have these. 

I am curious, do the new PACE irons still requires the elements to be burned in before use?   There used to be a heat cycle you had to follow before using them or their life was shortened.   My old ST45 can automatically perform the burn-in cycle so there is no need to manually run it. 

Also, I ran a little test using Dave's rebranded BM235 to measure the tip temperature of this old iron for MacMeter.  I would assume under no load the new PACE is at least as stable and my old one.   
https://www.eevblog.com/forum/testgear/eevblog-bm235/

The following users thanked this post: MacMeter

Offline dolivas27

• Contributor
« Reply #256 on: April 06, 2018, 02:52:00 am »
Ok the first tip I installed gave me the CHP error, so I pulled the tip and tried to reinsert it but could not get it to seat with the little tip tool they provided.

So, I pulled the tip again and reinserted it and this time it did push all the way in but was tight. The tip worked just fine after that time.

The second tip that would give me the CHP error did the same thing once I got the tip to seat all the way it works fine.

There must be something wrong with my handle because it’s just too damn hard to insert the tips….

I have a feeling what looks like a grommet in the handle in not in the right location or has been pulled loose.

I will be call Pace in the morning. |O

Look at these pictures one is of a tip that worked right the first time and the others are of the tip that did not work right the first time.

« Last Edit: April 06, 2018, 03:08:11 am by dolivas27 »

The following users thanked this post: Alex Eisenhut

Offline MacMeter

• Frequent Contributor
« Reply #257 on: April 06, 2018, 03:24:03 am »
And while I can afford a Hakko 951, or a Pace ADS200, both seemingly good deals, I don’t NEED one.

Good, Cliff was only pointing out it's refreshing to see an affordable professional station at $206 shipped (which is a big drop in price) and not more made for China type products (which are going up in price). Since this station is 120W it's not really comparable to anything else around at the same price or cheaper, so it wouldn't make sense to compare the products.

Indeed, they are two different products. And while some like me, may find an inexpensive TS100 totally capable of doing the occasional job I may require, it’s use for full time work can be debated, not my interest.

And as far as what Rossman uses for his repair business, I doubt a TS100 will be replacing his Hakko 951 anytime soon. But his review and follow up shows what new technology can even offer a newbie on a budget. Fortunately for me I can afford any station you can think of, but I’m not into wasting money on something I don’t need to use on a daily basis. I like that a USA manufacturer can compete with a long time player like Hakko, who seemingly does NOT listen to their customers at all. There is NO excuse for a 1980’s interface on an 888 that’s called “D” for digital. I hope Pace’s new offering embarrasses Hakko, and causes them market share. Yes, at work I use the Hakko 888D, let’s say the cost is about equal, I prefer my home TS100, over it.

And as Rossman learned from his online viewers, with a handle adapter, one can use original Hakko T12 tips. While folks can argue handle ergonomics, it’s nice to see a new device that does not require a proprietary, more expensive tips to function or add improvements. Which brings me to my last point (maybe:) I’m one of the first to jump on the lack of Chinese product quality control. My biggest complaint is the use of FAKE battery capacity ratings, but maybe more importantly their unapologetic use of FAKE safety stickers and logos. Hence the reason I avoid fakes and clones, and am able to afford to pay more for original products.

So my last point is, while many Chinese products are rip offs of good designs, clones, copies, fakes, whatever, there are a very, very few, Chinese products that are in fact new designs, using the latest technologies. Sure hard to find, hard to sift through the internet haze, but I don’t think it’s intelligent to always dismiss all Chinese products as dangerous junk. Until MINODSO offered the TS100, no one else has marketed an inexpensive product quite like this, certainly not in the portable soldering iron market, they own that now. Granted, they do themselves a great disservice with allowing all the rebranding crap, but I’ve been monitoring the Chinese electronics market for the past few years, and these folks would clone their own brand toilet paper if the could, and since they can, they probably do! The Chinese do have some good machinists and equipment to produce quality products, but overall they are lacking in innovation, and the desire perhaps due to money, to get away from cloning.

The following users thanked this post: Cliff Matthews

Offline Shock

• Super Contributor
« Reply #258 on: April 06, 2018, 04:06:46 am »
I don't know how Pace managed to get the price of a 120W cartridge style soldering station to $206 while still get it made in US, but whatever they did, it was brilliant.

That is with the EEVblog 6% off by the way (and tequipments free shipping). But even at $220 it's a no brainer.

Offline Shock

• Super Contributor
« Reply #259 on: April 06, 2018, 04:10:41 am »
Ok the first tip I installed gave me the CHP error, so I pulled the tip and tried to reinsert it but could not get it to seat with the little tip tool they provided.

So, I pulled the tip again and reinserted it and this time it did push all the way in but was tight. The tip worked just fine after that time.

Can you tell us the part number of the tip that was a bit wonky, just in case we need to keep an eye out for tip issues? Thanks for the photos now we know what to look for.

Offline dolivas27

• Contributor
« Reply #260 on: April 06, 2018, 04:12:03 am »

Can you tell us the part number of the tip that was a bit wonky, just in case we need to keep an eye out for tip issues? Thanks for the photos now we know what to look for.

I have a few I will post in a few have some more pictures of the handle problem coming in a min.

Offline EEVblog

• Administrator
    • EEVblog
« Reply #261 on: April 06, 2018, 04:12:56 am »
I hope Pace’s new offering embarrasses Hakko, and causes them market share.

The Hakko is half the price. At least in the US.

Offline EEVblog

• Administrator
    • EEVblog
« Reply #262 on: April 06, 2018, 04:20:08 am »
I believe it just pisses people off, that an inexpensive Chinese product can approach the usability of a more expensive dedicated solder station.

It doesn't.
And anyone with professional soldering experience can attest to that without even having owned one. It's obvious.
It may have the performance of a more expensive iron, but in term of usability compared to a professional bench iron, it's chalk and cheese.
The bloody things doesn't even come with a power supply, a proper cable, or a stand. Now sure, you might be able to cobble together a half decent setup yourself with it, but to compare that DIY solution to a proper bench station solution that is professionally engineered out of the box is ridiculous.

Offline dolivas27

• Contributor
« Reply #263 on: April 06, 2018, 04:32:56 am »
Ok so the problem with my unit is for sure the handle and could have been caused by the quality control problem on the tips not being fully assembled.

Pace will need to address the tip assembly problems. :--

So, I took my hand piece apart to see what the problem was and in fact the rubber grommet had been pulled out it’s just a friction fit in the handle and I think poor design.  :--

Look at the pictures and you will see that there is a cone /cup in the plastic that the grommet fits in and then when the handle is assembled with the black plastic nut on the rear of handle it wedges the grommet down to the aluminum body of the handle.

In my case it looks like when I first inserted the first tip it had pushed the grommet out of the cone / cup in the plastic. From the looks of the grommet it looks like it started to roll on to itself getting in the way of the tips seating all the way down. So, when I pulled the tip back out it rolled back the grommet into the cone / cup and on the second try the tip body slide by and seated right.

The grommet acts as a friction ring to hold the tip body.

If the back nut loosens up it will allow the grommet to move around in the handle not sure if this is the same design as the TD100 handles but I don’t like the design.  |O

I would think that it should have had a little high temp silicone grease applied to the grommet so it’s not a dry fit seems like a lot of drag on the grommet when inserting the tips.

I will be calling Aaron in the morning to get some new grommets to replace the one in my handle that is now nicked up. :wtf:

Also, I am not sure what the metal tail is sticking out of the connector but it doesn’t look right to me? Let me know what you think it’s in the last two pictures.

« Last Edit: April 06, 2018, 05:07:08 am by dolivas27 »

Offline labjr

• Frequent Contributor
« Reply #264 on: April 06, 2018, 04:47:10 am »
Is the part of the connector sticking out, possibly a contact to ground the aluminum handle?

Offline MacMeter

• Frequent Contributor
« Reply #265 on: April 06, 2018, 04:56:05 am »
I hope Pace’s new offering embarrasses Hakko, and causes them market share.

The Hakko is half the price. At least in the US.

I’m comparing the HAKKO 951 to the new Pace 200, since they both use the new style tips. The Hakko 888D, would be around half at approximately $95.00 US with the older style tip technology. Since the Pace seems aimed at the same market price point as the Hakko 951, if I were choosing between the two, I would buy the Pace, if only for the interface differences I mentioned. I’ve never used any Pace gear, but do use an 888D.

Offline dolivas27

• Contributor
« Reply #266 on: April 06, 2018, 04:58:16 am »
Here are some pictures of the inside of the unit should be no problem replacing the firmware once the new one is available.

Also a few pictures of the stand it looks like once the parts are available you should be able to purchase just the switch assemble and make up your own cabling.

« Last Edit: April 06, 2018, 05:11:56 am by dolivas27 »

The following users thanked this post: Cliff Matthews

Offline dolivas27

• Contributor
« Reply #267 on: April 06, 2018, 05:08:31 am »
Is the part of the connector sticking out, possibly a contact to ground the aluminum handle?

Have a look at this picture

Offline MacMeter

• Frequent Contributor
« Reply #268 on: April 06, 2018, 05:26:32 am »
I believe it just pisses people off, that an inexpensive Chinese product can approach the usability of a more expensive dedicated solder station.

It doesn't.
And anyone with professional soldering experience can attest to that without even having owned one. It's obvious.
It may have the performance of a more expensive iron, but in term of usability compared to a professional bench iron, it's chalk and cheese.
The bloody things doesn't even come with a power supply, a proper cable, or a stand. Now sure, you might be able to cobble together a half decent setup yourself with it, but to compare that DIY solution to a proper bench station solution that is professionally engineered out of the box is ridiculous.

I believe I covered a few of the differences you mention concerning usability, long term reliability, tip selection, customer support, etc., so I won’t repeat them. Oh wait, I just did. As far as “cobbling”, yeah, that took me an hour, if I had a 24 volt laptop supply here, I could have skipped power supply research time, or if I were happy with just the included 19 volt supply. Bought a Hakko stand, I’m sure most users here have more then one, but if you were just getting started, you would most likely want to add that, 5 minutes devoted to that. Biggest deal is probably not wanting to use a power supply cable with the 2.5mm plug as your iron cord. Now most of the users here could make their own silicone iron lead with their eyes closed, and may have some silicone cable from an old test lead laying around, and a 2.5mm barrel connector. Since my TS100 kit came with a nice soft short silicone XT60 to 2.5mm cord (designed for direct connection to a portable battery pack), I simply bought a short adapter cable, solved that issue with a click of the mouse. Honestly I spent much more time trying to find fuses for my EEVBLOG BM235 meter when it was first released. No longer an issue, since you now sell them on your site.

I never took on the subject of comparing this iron versus that iron, home hobby use or dedicated bench station. However, depending on the end users need, I don’t believe it’s “ridiculous” to compare them at all. And from all the online noise generated by these tools, I’m obviously not alone. I think there is a place for both these tools.

Offline dolivas27

• Contributor
« Reply #269 on: April 06, 2018, 08:28:56 am »
Ok last post for the evening need to get some sleep.

So, I was repairing a HDMI board this evening with the new station and using some solder wick and the iron just stopped working it was like it went into standby the display started to flash 350 and then I think it dropped to 345 and just keep flashing I tried to adjust the temp up and nothing. :--

I had to power the unit off and then back on to get it working. :--

This thing was not ready to be released yet there are still things that need to be sorted out maybe a firmware will fix the issue I had but I am kind of bummed out. :palm:

I know Pace will get this all figured out, but I had expected better from Pace. :-BROKE

I was able to get the HDMI board repaired and when the iron works it works well with the big tips it’s close to the JBC I have.

I like the length of the handle the cord is a little bigger than the JBC. Oh and the Pace handle stays cooler than the JBC it the work I was using it for this evening.

Once Pace gets this all figured out it will be a better buy than the JBC.

You can get the Pace Station and a ton of tips over just get a couple tips with the JBC.

Night
« Last Edit: April 06, 2018, 08:33:27 am by dolivas27 »

The following users thanked this post: Elasia

• Supporter
« Reply #270 on: April 06, 2018, 10:46:01 am »
The last pic is good.. The JBC's flying cable holder and ridiculously large handle strain relief is sure to win some awards for tipsy, bench space monster. IMHO, tech stylist's went over-the-top. Pace also wins in fingers-to-tip distance (but anyone's MMV  :-+ )

** Edit (after driving my wife in the #$*# snow.. it's back in April no less! >:( )
   I thought about that handle a bit more from those nice pics... Thanks! (not photo-shopped, just a move)
« Last Edit: April 06, 2018, 12:49:15 pm by Cliff Matthews »

Offline Elasia

• Frequent Contributor
« Reply #271 on: April 06, 2018, 12:27:12 pm »
Thanks for the lovely breakdown dolivas27!  I'm sure that will come in handy for the rest of us.. wasnt exactly planning on it to that degree since its pace but i'll be inspecting mine as well when it comes in.

Unseated tips with that groove + that rubber o ring.. not a good thing.. i agree that most likely fouled it up since the space gives the tip two edges to apply against the ring and pull/rip it right out

Question: did the unseated tip once it had connector pushed down on it all the way, did it stay or was it a weak connection where further insertion cycles will just cause it to come out again and cause the same issue?

I wonder with tip cycling in and out if that joint on the tip weakens to where it will then start wearing that o ring out till it jams up.

Offline Elasia

• Frequent Contributor
« Reply #272 on: April 06, 2018, 12:47:13 pm »

It doesn't.

lol... i watched part of rossmann's video and was going wtf when i saw him putting that thing into a bench psu..  i saw that thing on banggood a few times as well and just gave it a gander and then immediately laughed it off

why even fuck with all that when you can get a basic wes51 used for less than 50 bucks and they are built like tanks that just last?  But a beginner isnt going to know that bit either and will surely buy the contraption just for coolness factor and then their welds will most likely always be bunk and they just shot themselves in their own foot

While on one hand i agree with blue about keeping your own dick in your own vice... i dont really agree about that when it comes to newbies getting dealt a bad hand but that goes with any trade in one way or another... got to pay to play and sometimes education doesnt come cheap

Offline Monkeh

• Super Contributor
« Reply #273 on: April 06, 2018, 02:49:33 pm »

A socketed PLCC on a modern, cost optimized product?

Interesting choice.

• Supporter
« Reply #274 on: April 06, 2018, 03:09:31 pm »

A socketed PLCC on a modern, cost optimized product?

Interesting choice.
My guess is since they've not been a high-volume mfg before this, they're using previous gen parts to get the ball rolling. Looks like tons of room to reduce a BOM here... Target #1 could be that approx. 150VA split-bobbin transformer (I love it, but it's gotta be over $50 per 1000).

Share me

Digg  Facebook  SlashDot  Delicious  Technorati  Twitter  Google  Yahoo
Smf