Author Topic: Pace ADS200 soldering station  (Read 359508 times)

Offline glarsson

• Frequent Contributor
Re: Newest Pace ADS200 production station (a JBC killer at $239??)
« Reply #400 on: June 17, 2018, 05:00:23 pm »
How is it 6 weeks when their ad was saying "available in March" ? We are at mid June today.
As I wrote earlier. This thread jinxed it. You can't say you are going to kill the market leader without killing yourself.

Offline Cliff MatthewsTopic starter

• Supporter
    • General Repair and Support
« Reply #401 on: June 17, 2018, 06:04:54 pm »
How is it 6 weeks when their ad was saying "available in March" ? We are at mid June today.
As I wrote earlier. This thread jinxed it. You can't say you are going to kill the market leader without killing yourself.
Superstition's are not for EE's. My question's in the title, but feel free to explain that unqualified "market leader" statement..

Offline glarsson

• Frequent Contributor
« Reply #402 on: June 17, 2018, 06:30:03 pm »
My question's in the title, but feel free to explain that unqualified "market leader" statement..
It's in the title.

Offline Shock

• Super Contributor
« Reply #403 on: June 17, 2018, 06:41:09 pm »

Perhaps you missed that they were shipping US units in March and April to customers. Dealers were showing stock in March as well. The US April batch that was to follow was obviously put on hold. From what Aaron was indicating, the earliest they would have possibly shipped them anyway was the end of April (with ISB stands).

So more like ~6 weeks delay from when you said that, not 17 weeks (4 months).
Soldering/Rework: Pace ADS200, Pace MBT350
Multimeters: Fluke 189, 87V, 117, 112   >>> WANTED STUFF <<<
Oszilloskopen: Lecroy 9314, Phillips PM3065, Tektronix 2215a, 314

Offline Cliff MatthewsTopic starter

• Supporter
    • General Repair and Support
« Reply #404 on: June 17, 2018, 07:37:46 pm »
My question's in the title, but feel free to explain that unqualified "market leader" statement..
It's in the title.
Perhaps you see it, but killing some gaudy looking fad is how I prefer to see it.

Offline labjr

• Frequent Contributor
« Reply #405 on: June 17, 2018, 08:09:22 pm »
It get's here when it does.  It's obviously taking longer than they intended. I don't think they owe everyone a weekly update.

After reading some of the comments, here and elsewhere, I wouldn't blame them for not posting until it's ready to roll.

If you want to know that badly then call Pace and ask.

Offline glarsson

• Frequent Contributor
« Reply #406 on: June 17, 2018, 08:17:14 pm »
Perhaps you see it, but killing some gaudy looking fad is how I prefer to see it.
Hakko is the gaudy looking fad with its weird color combinations.
Pace is the seventies looking things with slotted screws.
JBC is the stuff that works and is delivered.
 :box:

Offline PACE-Worldwide

• Regular Contributor
    • PACE Worldwide Website
« Reply #407 on: June 18, 2018, 07:32:52 pm »
To All EEVBloggers:

Finally, an update from PACE on the status of the ADS200 & Tips!

First of all, I’d like to thank you all for you for your patience and support, as we certainly were premature in our production predictions. I am so sorry for the delay and lack of update information, but it looks like we’re finally ready to reggae!

PACE Worldwide is happy to report that we are back in production on the ADS200 Soldering Systems and AccuDrive Tip-Heater Cartridges! As many of you already know, out of an abundance of caution, we had suspended production 2 months ago as a small percentage of our AccuDrive Tip-Heater Cartridges did not meet our exacting standards for quality. This issue has now been resolved and does not affect any current ADS200 Systems already in the field.

Please see the attached pdf Memo, which explains every thing you need to know about the ADS200. I have also attached current price lists in 3 different currencies.

Again, I thank you for your patience. Feel free to contact me directly at acaplan [AT] paceworldwide [DOT] com if you have questions or need additional information.

Best,

Aaron

The following users thanked this post: EEVblog, Shock, Alex Eisenhut, Cliff Matthews, VK4GHZ, labjr, Dyaxxis, Elasia

Offline Shock

• Super Contributor
« Reply #408 on: June 19, 2018, 06:45:41 am »
Awesome news Aaron and appreciate the update. I imagine Pace is working overtime manufacturing tips and will sell them like hotcakes once the ball starts gaining momentum again.

Today I got around to cleaning and loading my Pace fiber cleaning tool. Along with the Pace tip tool these have to be my top two favorite soldering accessories of all time.

« Last Edit: July 11, 2018, 11:15:14 am by Shock »

Offline hrbngr

• Contributor
« Reply #409 on: June 19, 2018, 08:22:54 pm »
Aaron,

thanks for the updates regarding the production changes for the tips and the updated firmware. Do you have any info regarding the re-design of the o-ring in the handles because they were coming unseated and/or binding the tip cartridges that some users experienced?

The following users thanked this post: Alex Eisenhut

Offline mavu

• Contributor
« Reply #410 on: June 20, 2018, 11:23:02 am »
I wanted to give you an update on the status of the ADS200. We are still making some changes to the firmware and examining the tips that came back from Mike's Radio Repair. We will also e taking a detailed look at dolivas27's Station & tips. I'll get back to you with an update soon. Just be assured that if you have any issues with the ADS200, we are committed to making it right for you. Thanks for your patience.

Hi,

I managed to get my hands on a early unit, and it probably still has the early firmware.
Is there a way to see the firmware version?
Will I be able to update the firmware somehow?

Offline Shock

• Super Contributor
« Reply #411 on: June 20, 2018, 11:27:29 am »
I managed to get my hands on a early unit, and it probably still has the early firmware.

Read the first pdf it tells you exactly what to do if you want a firmware update kit.
« Last Edit: June 20, 2018, 11:29:14 am by Shock »

Offline mavu

• Contributor
« Reply #412 on: June 20, 2018, 03:42:41 pm »

Read the first pdf it tells you exactly what to do if you want a firmware update kit.

Thanks! I didn't expect anything to be in there that was not in the post.

Offline MacMeter

• Frequent Contributor
« Reply #413 on: June 20, 2018, 07:10:39 pm »
Awesome news Aaron and appreciate the update. I imagine Pace is working overtime manufacturing tips and will sell them like hotcakes once the ball starts gaining momentum again.

Today I got around to cleaning and loading my Pace fiber cleaning tool. Along with the Pace tip tool these have to be my top two favorite soldering accessories of all time.

I just ordered one of these Pace fiber tools from TEquiptment in NJ. What is that rope like material? Doesn’t look like the plastic type scratch pen fibers, more like a fire proof rope material. Like the material welders use.

Offline glarsson

• Frequent Contributor
« Reply #414 on: June 20, 2018, 08:44:01 pm »
What is that rope like material?
Looks like heat resistant braided cable sleeving(*), cut to length, bundled and held together using black shrink tubing.

(*) the kind of sleeving you can find protecting the wires from the heating element inside a soldering iron.

The following users thanked this post: MacMeter

Offline Shock

• Super Contributor
« Reply #415 on: June 20, 2018, 10:59:05 pm »
I just ordered one of these Pace fiber tools from TEquiptment in NJ. What is that rope like material? Doesn’t look like the plastic type scratch pen fibers, more like a fire proof rope material. Like the material welders use.

The tools about 8mm wide at the opening. Not sure what the braid is made from exactly, it's like a fine woven cloth. To touch it feels like a soft bristled tooth brush with less flex.

It has fairly low abrasive properties but works well at wiping hot crap away. I just tested it buffing up some lightly oxidized nickel and it took me about 20 brisk strokes, way more aggressive than I would on an iron tip. So it does have abrasive qualities but it's largely up to the user. As I mentioned before you can use it on turrets, eyelets etc, no problem.

Edit: Ignore the gap in the aluminum, I haven't closed it properly as I've had the fibers out a few times looking at them. They are a snug fit in the tool, which is what you want.

« Last Edit: June 21, 2018, 06:46:36 am by Shock »

The following users thanked this post: MacMeter

Offline mbless

• Regular Contributor
« Reply #416 on: June 21, 2018, 03:08:40 pm »
For those interested, I placed an order for a unit with the setback stand through Tequipment. A sales rep told me Pace will be shipping the units to Tequipment on June 29, so I'm not expecting to get mine until the 2nd week of July.

Offline PACE-Worldwide

• Regular Contributor
    • PACE Worldwide Website
« Reply #417 on: June 21, 2018, 04:15:37 pm »
Aaron,

thanks for the updates regarding the production changes for the tips and the updated firmware. Do you have any info regarding the re-design of the o-ring in the handles because they were coming unseated and/or binding the tip cartridges that some users experienced?

The O-Rings were not the problem. It was the machining of the handpiece metal itself. A few of these handpieces got out before we resolved the problem, which has now been taken care of. All TD-200's are now 100% inspected. If you are having issues with the O-Rings, you probably have one of the bad handpieces. Please send a request for replacement to acaplan[AT]paceworldwide[dot]com and I'll get you a new TD-200 handpiece.

Aaron

The following users thanked this post: Cliff Matthews, Dyaxxis

Offline PACE-Worldwide

• Regular Contributor
    • PACE Worldwide Website
« Reply #418 on: June 21, 2018, 04:20:21 pm »

The Fiber Tool is actually made of a coated & woven fiberglass that is relatively low abrasive.

Aaron

The following users thanked this post: Dyaxxis

Offline labjr

• Frequent Contributor
« Reply #419 on: June 21, 2018, 04:36:08 pm »
Great to hear everything is resolved! I'm excited to get a new station.  :)

BTW that fiber tool reminds me of a chalk holder the teacher used at school. I wonder if that was the inspiration for the idea? I'd never seen one until someone posted it here. Is that to clean the iron or the PCB?

Offline PACE-Worldwide

• Regular Contributor
    • PACE Worldwide Website
« Reply #420 on: June 21, 2018, 04:51:34 pm »

BTW that fiber tool reminds me of a chalk holder the teacher used at school. I wonder if that was the inspiration for the idea? I'd never seen one until someone posted it here. Is that to clean the iron or the PCB?

It IS a chalk holder (and an expensive one at that)! It's definitely designed to clean large surface mount tips, but you can use it on any tip. Sometimes if you are using a thermal tweezer with large square or bladed tips (to remove SOICs, PLCCs or large QFPs), the shaped tips have to be cleaned and then retinned with fresh solder. These tips are so large (over 1x1" each) that the normal brass wool or sponge won't effectively reach the inner working surfaces of the tip. So you used the Fiber Brush to wipe the excess solder off the inside of the tip. 

Aaron

The following users thanked this post: labjr

Offline MacMeter

• Frequent Contributor
« Reply #421 on: June 22, 2018, 06:36:37 pm »

It IS a chalk holder (and an expensive one at that)! It's definitely designed to clean large surface mount tips, but you can use it on any tip. Sometimes if you are using a thermal tweezer with large square or bladed tips (to remove SOICs, PLCCs or large QFPs), the shaped tips have to be cleaned and then retinned with fresh solder. These tips are so large (over 1x1" each) that the normal brass wool or sponge won't effectively reach the inner working surfaces of the tip. So you used the Fiber Brush to wipe the excess solder off the inside of the tip. 

Aaron

The price at $19 US, was not too bad the extra $8 shipping at TEquipment, a bit much. But I just got an update email from them, won’t ship for a MONTH! The product link does not show “out of stock”, I assume this is not their normal business shipping policy.

https://www.tequipment.net/Pace/1100-0232-p1/Soldering-Accessories/

Offline mbless

• Regular Contributor
« Reply #422 on: June 22, 2018, 06:48:11 pm »

The price at $19 US, was not too bad the extra $8 shipping at TEquipment, a bit much. But I just got an update email from them, won’t ship for a MONTH! The product link does not show “out of stock”, I assume this is not their normal business shipping policy.

The default for Tequipment is out of stock. If it's in stock, then it will show how many.

Offline MacMeter

• Frequent Contributor
« Reply #423 on: June 22, 2018, 06:51:47 pm »

The default for Tequipment is out of stock. If it's in stock, then it will show how many.

Thanks, I guess I could have ordered it directly from China myself and saved $$$. Oh well....

Offline mavu

• Contributor
« Reply #424 on: June 23, 2018, 07:10:29 am »
Hi

I managed to get my paws on a ADS200 with the auto sleep stand and I'm thinking about making a little video review.

If anyone has any specific questions or things you want tested, I'll see if I can do them in a video.

The following users thanked this post: tooki

Share me

Digg  Facebook  SlashDot  Delicious  Technorati  Twitter  Google  Yahoo
Smf