Author Topic: Pace ADS200 soldering station  (Read 359602 times)

Offline Cliff MatthewsTopic starter

• Supporter
    • General Repair and Support
Re: Newest Pace ADS200 production station (a JBC killer at $239??)
« Reply #425 on: June 23, 2018, 11:11:51 am »
If anyone has any specific questions or things you want tested, I'll see if I can do them in a video.
Inside pics please..  :-+

The following users thanked this post: tooki

Offline labjr

• Frequent Contributor
« Reply #426 on: June 23, 2018, 03:21:31 pm »
Hi

I managed to get my paws on a ADS200 with the auto sleep stand and I'm thinking about making a little video review.

If anyoneme has any specific questions or things you want tested, I'll see if I can do them in a video.

I'm wondering which firmware your station has?

Doesn't need to be in the video, but I'd like to know if the tip of the iron is at the same ground potential as the GND pin of the setback switch mini din connector. Thus confirming my theory that Setback can be activated by merely touching the tip of the iron to a single conductor wire connected to the SWITCH input pin of the mini din connector.

Offline bsudbrink

• Frequent Contributor
« Reply #427 on: June 23, 2018, 07:08:12 pm »
I hope that no one minds this post as this thread seems to have the attention of most Pace heads...

I first got into Pace when, through a trade, I got a lifetime supply of SensaTemp handpieces and tips (first pic).  So, as good deals came up or budget allowed I have acquired other stations and handpieces.  My lab has been exclusively Pace for a number of years.  Anyway, I have recently come to the conclusion that I have much more than a lifetime supply of these Sodr-Pens.  I still have 17 unused and none of the four I use regularly show any signs of failing.  Among the few SensaTemp items I have never managed to pick up, I'd like to get a ThermoJet and a couple of nozzles and maybe a foot pedal.  I've never used either but would like to give them a try.  If someone would like to trade either of those (in good shape) for three or four brand new Sodr-Pens, please let me know.

• Supporter
« Reply #428 on: June 23, 2018, 08:13:06 pm »
I hope that no one minds this post as this thread seems to have the attention of most Pace heads...

I first got into Pace when, through a trade, I got a lifetime supply of SensaTemp handpieces and tips (first pic).  So, as good deals came up or budget allowed I have acquired other stations and handpieces.  My lab has been exclusively Pace for a number of years.  Anyway, I have recently come to the conclusion that I have much more than a lifetime supply of these Sodr-Pens.  I still have 17 unused and none of the four I use regularly show any signs of failing.  Among the few SensaTemp items I have never managed to pick up, I'd like to get a ThermoJet and a couple of nozzles and maybe a foot pedal.  I've never used either but would like to give them a try.  If someone would like to trade either of those (in good shape) for three or four brand new Sodr-Pens, please let me know.
No prob, and nice stash.. Maybe get additional traction by posting in the buy/sell/wanted area too  :-//

Offline Elasia

• Frequent Contributor
« Reply #429 on: June 26, 2018, 12:02:37 am »
To All EEVBloggers:

Finally, an update from PACE on the status of the ADS200 & Tips!

First of all, I’d like to thank you all for you for your patience and support, as we certainly were premature in our production predictions. I am so sorry for the delay and lack of update information, but it looks like we’re finally ready to reggae!

PACE Worldwide is happy to report that we are back in production on the ADS200 Soldering Systems and AccuDrive Tip-Heater Cartridges! As many of you already know, out of an abundance of caution, we had suspended production 2 months ago as a small percentage of our AccuDrive Tip-Heater Cartridges did not meet our exacting standards for quality. This issue has now been resolved and does not affect any current ADS200 Systems already in the field.

Please see the attached pdf Memo, which explains every thing you need to know about the ADS200. I have also attached current price lists in 3 different currencies.

Again, I thank you for your patience. Feel free to contact me directly at acaplan [AT] paceworldwide [DOT] com if you have questions or need additional information.

Best,

Aaron

Woohoo this is fantastic news.. i got a 1-0 humming right along with one tip.. at least it was a multi purpose useful tip lol

ill have to msg for a new chip when i get a chance.. ill also have to try out my hand piece once my full assortment of tips get here.. i havent had reason to pull and insert with only the one tip :p

Offline drojf

« Reply #430 on: June 30, 2018, 05:21:59 am »
Australians - Mektronics now have the ADS200 (with instant setback stand) listed here: https://www.mektronics.com.au/soldering-rework/pace-stations/pace-ads200-station-230-vac-with-instant-setback-tool-stand-8007-0581.html

"Availability: 1-2 weeks delivery", $596 AUD (their site lists $542 excluding GST).

EDIT: I think Mektronics is more expensive than other places, we'll see how the prices go. But if you were desperate to buy one right now, you could.
« Last Edit: June 30, 2018, 01:43:43 pm by drojf »

Offline knapik

• Regular Contributor
« Reply #431 on: June 30, 2018, 09:39:45 am »
Australians - Mektronics now have the ADS200 (with instant setback stand) listed here: https://www.mektronics.com.au/soldering-rework/pace-stations/pace-ads200-station-230-vac-with-instant-setback-tool-stand-8007-0581.html

"Availability: 1-2 weeks delivery", $596 AUD (their site lists $542 excluding GST).

Ouch.... I was hoping that it would be in line with the Tequipment price at ~400 Aussie, but I certainly can't justify $600. Sounds like I might have to wait until it goes on sale one day then.

Offline VK4GHZ

• Contributor
« Reply #432 on: June 30, 2018, 11:45:46 am »

Yes, I noticed that a few days ago.
AUD$597.15 (inc GST) ~ USD$442.

That's the "Australia Tax" at work.

I'm waiting for Oritech and Upton to list it, to see what they will be asking for it.
« Last Edit: June 30, 2018, 11:47:41 am by VK4GHZ »

The following users thanked this post: knapik

• Supporter
« Reply #433 on: June 30, 2018, 06:13:52 pm »

EDIT: I think Mektronics is more expensive than other places, we'll see how the prices go. But if you were desperate to buy one right now, you could.
IMHO, the new models price drop would make some distributors nervous about pricing a new 120w station under their current inventory (eg: Mektronics has the 90watt ST-50 selling for slightly less). One would hope when AU vendors reduce inventory investments on the older ST series, they'd be comfortable enough to drop the ADS200 down closer to MSRP.

Offline Alex Eisenhut

• Super Contributor
  • Place text here.
« Reply #434 on: July 01, 2018, 12:41:53 am »

Yes, I noticed that a few days ago.
AUD$597.15 (inc GST) ~ USD$442.

That's the "Australia Tax" at work.

Ouch, I thought Quebec was bad!
« Last Edit: July 01, 2018, 01:20:56 am by Alex Eisenhut »
Hoarder of 8-bit Commodore relics and 1960s Tektronix 500-series stuff. Unconventional interior decorator.

Offline VK4GHZ

• Contributor
« Reply #435 on: July 01, 2018, 01:05:59 am »
Ouch, I thought Quebec was bad!
Yes, and don't forget, the Aussie dollar is close to parity with the Canadian dollar.
So AUD$597 = CAD$581

• Supporter
« Reply #436 on: July 01, 2018, 11:30:46 am »
Baltersice reviewed the new Pace in the second half of his latest video (starts ~4:30) with some serious 01005 soldering..

The following users thanked this post: baltersice, VK4GHZ, Dyaxxis

• Supporter
« Reply #437 on: July 01, 2018, 01:46:50 pm »
 :-DD  As a side benefit: Pace prevents a lot of unnecessary suffering in the stock photography business..

The following users thanked this post: tooki, hrbngr

Offline Shock

• Super Contributor
« Reply #438 on: July 01, 2018, 06:20:25 pm »
Well, here in Europe the only place selling it have it at 355€, while the JBC BT2BWA is 289€.
https://www.welectron.com/Soldering-Stations
So the JBC:
-Is 65€ Cheaper
-Has a rotary encoder for the temp (I like my knobs)
-The iron going to sleep when in the holder is not an optional Extra.

I fail to see how is this a "JBC killer", apart from the JBC tips being more expensive (25€ vs 15€).

The Pace ADS200 list price is 225€ with standard stand and 250€ with instant setback stand, so not sure on their prices but as mentioned a few posts back they might be clearing stock. Even without a setback stand the iron can still go to sleep in the standard stand.

The JBC you're comparing is an analog station, if you think it's better value and love the dial etc go for it. Here is the thread on the JBC BT2BWA.
Soldering/Rework: Pace ADS200, Pace MBT350
Multimeters: Fluke 189, 87V, 117, 112   >>> WANTED STUFF <<<
Oszilloskopen: Lecroy 9314, Phillips PM3065, Tektronix 2215a, 314

Offline Shock

• Super Contributor
« Reply #439 on: July 01, 2018, 06:22:42 pm »
:-DD  As a side benefit: Pace prevents a lot of unnecessary suffering in the stock photography business..

I watched Marco/Baltersices previous video a day ago and wondered if he was doing a Pace ADS200 review. He said something about keeping "Pace" with all the progress in the industry :).

I think him making a station is a waste of time now. The effort it would take to make a decent chassis was enough to put me off. As I see it the Unisolders purpose (a low cost way to run a high end iron) was really a hole filled by the ADS200.

I've got a feeling he sold the Weller to offset the cost of buying an ADS200 as well, I mean you don't sell your workhorse without backup. He should dump the Chinese one as well, it looks more ridiculous every time I compare the two.
Soldering/Rework: Pace ADS200, Pace MBT350
Multimeters: Fluke 189, 87V, 117, 112   >>> WANTED STUFF <<<
Oszilloskopen: Lecroy 9314, Phillips PM3065, Tektronix 2215a, 314

Offline labjr

• Frequent Contributor
« Reply #440 on: July 01, 2018, 06:50:10 pm »
The Pace should become popular because of the low cost of ownership and consumables. Although there may be a market for a 3rd party front panel/control PCB with a fancier UI.

Unisolder must be too difficult for a newbie to build if experienced engineers say it's not easy. Most who want to build them probably don't yet have the skills or equipment to build them. That's why they're looking to build something cheap. Would be far more popular if preassembled PCBs were available.

• Supporter
« Reply #441 on: July 02, 2018, 03:02:29 am »
Marco's size comparison's better than my edited pic.. Pace almost never has strain relief issues, maybe JBC can learn a little.
« Last Edit: July 02, 2018, 11:54:47 am by Cliff Matthews »

Offline Elasia

• Frequent Contributor
« Reply #442 on: July 02, 2018, 11:39:26 pm »
Just got my replacement rom chip $$ thanks pace!

That was a nice video by Marco.. i got that same andostar, wonder what that uv optic he bought for it was

The following users thanked this post: tooki

Offline tooki

• Super Contributor
« Reply #443 on: July 03, 2018, 05:12:42 am »
Best line in the whole episode. :)

The following users thanked this post: PACE-Worldwide

Offline baltersice

• Regular Contributor
« Reply #444 on: July 03, 2018, 07:03:00 am »
wonder what that uv optic he bought for it was
Polarization filters https://www.ebay.com/itm/282571649127

The following users thanked this post: Elasia

• Supporter
« Reply #445 on: July 03, 2018, 05:22:00 pm »
I split my gut laughing at "Oh... not that" (the glowing mega-iron)
https://youtu.be/erKCA71q7cg?t=723

*edit: In 2-days this got over 22,000 views.. I hope Welectron understands video editing IS work and gives him a fair discount.
« Last Edit: July 03, 2018, 05:27:39 pm by Cliff Matthews »

Offline Elasia

• Frequent Contributor
« Reply #446 on: July 03, 2018, 09:49:45 pm »
I split my gut laughing at "Oh... not that" (the glowing mega-iron)
https://youtu.be/erKCA71q7cg?t=723

*edit: In 2-days this got over 22,000 views.. I hope Welectron understands video editing IS work and gives him a fair discount.

I busted up at this bit

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=erKCA71q7cg&feature=youtu.be&t=830

Offline VK4GHZ

• Contributor
« Reply #447 on: July 05, 2018, 07:17:20 am »
Was going to order directly from the Pace website.
USD$280 for shipping to Australia.
LOL!!!!!

That's for one unit, not a dozen or so.
I don't think so.

Offline GeorgeOfTheJungle

• Super Contributor
  • !
« Reply #448 on: July 05, 2018, 07:51:46 am »
What's that, a fisher price? Is it for kids? Ohhh, top notch 7805 in there, well done Pace!
« Last Edit: July 05, 2018, 10:08:24 am by GeorgeOfTheJungle »
The further a society drifts from truth, the more it will hate those who speak it.

Offline glarsson

• Frequent Contributor
« Reply #449 on: July 05, 2018, 10:49:16 am »
Ohhh, top notch 7805 in there, well done Pace!
Attached to the floating heatsink with a old fashioned slotted screw and nut. Manufacturing can't be very efficient...

Share me

Digg  Facebook  SlashDot  Delicious  Technorati  Twitter  Google  Yahoo
Smf