Author Topic: Pace ADS200 soldering station  (Read 359602 times)

Offline Dyaxxis

• Contributor
Re: Newest Pace ADS200 production station (a JBC killer at $239??)
« Reply #475 on: July 15, 2018, 02:10:48 am »
I've just ordered an ADS 200 w/ISB hand piece stand. Only desire I'd like to see soon would be a "chip tip" to work with 0201 component removal, or even a well designed tip for 01005 parts, however I'll address that eventually directly with Pace. Very eager to test out the proposed new tweezer design, but I'm going to just wait and see when Pace will get around to releasing them.

I still intend to own and operate my JBC CD station, so I'll try to find the time to create some sort of comparative review between the two. My work demands shift dramatically, so I'll need to see when an open time will permit. I actually work with quite a bit of IPC Class 3 J-STD-001 operations (along with A-610, 7711, 7721, etc.) so depending on time and work demand constraints, I may just make simple comparative observations in the respective rework environment.
« Last Edit: July 15, 2018, 02:17:54 am by Dyaxxis »

Offline Shock

• Super Contributor
« Reply #476 on: July 15, 2018, 03:47:16 am »
I've just ordered an ADS 200 w/ISB hand piece stand. Only desire I'd like to see soon would be a "chip tip" to work with 0201 component removal, or even a well designed tip for 01005 parts, however I'll address that eventually directly with Pace. Very eager to test out the proposed new tweezer design, but I'm going to just wait and see when Pace will get around to releasing them.

You mean similar to the 0201 Chip Removal Tip for the TD-100 iron?
Soldering/Rework: Pace ADS200, Pace MBT350
Multimeters: Fluke 189, 87V, 117, 112   >>> WANTED STUFF <<<
Oszilloskopen: Lecroy 9314, Phillips PM3065, Tektronix 2215a, 314

Offline Dyaxxis

• Contributor
« Reply #477 on: July 15, 2018, 04:10:19 am »
You mean similar to the 0201 Chip Removal Tip for the TD-100 iron?

Exactly. I've used these tip shapes with several irons and systems I've owned over several years because of very tight confines where no other tool would work efficiently and without damaging/inadvertently reflowing nearby components. I currently use similar tip types with my JBC T245 handle and removal has been very quick, precise, and without perceptible damage.

Offline knotlogic

• Regular Contributor
« Reply #478 on: July 16, 2018, 01:30:39 pm »
Probably more a question for Aaron, but what's the difference between the bevel tip (1130-0011-P1) and the chisel (or conical) tips?  The picture on the website looks similar to the conical tips, but I always thought bevel tips were the same as chisels.

Also do the Pace Miniwave tips have that little depression on the face of the tip?

Was really tempted to pick one up earlier this year because I thought my Metal had finally died on me.  Fortunately it appears to have been just the handpiece.  Still tempted though.

Offline masiman

« Reply #479 on: July 16, 2018, 02:03:12 pm »
I added the other tips to the order, all 1130’s.  The 0013 was out of stock but I should be fine with the other four in the short term

Offline nanofrog

• Super Contributor
« Reply #480 on: July 16, 2018, 02:50:39 pm »
Probably more a question for Aaron, but what's the difference between the bevel tip (1130-0011-P1) and the chisel (or conical) tips?  The picture on the website looks similar to the conical tips, but I always thought bevel tips were the same as chisels
A bevel is a conical tip that's had the pointy end cut off on an angle. Makes a single oval face, where a chisel/screwdriver shape has 2 flat sides.

The following users thanked this post: knotlogic

Offline Shock

• Super Contributor
« Reply #481 on: July 16, 2018, 09:41:29 pm »
Probably more a question for Aaron, but what's the difference between the bevel tip (1130-0011-P1) and the chisel (or conical) tips?  The picture on the website looks similar to the conical tips, but I always thought bevel tips were the same as chisels.

A Bevel has a face cut across the tip. Chisels have two faces. Conical tips are just a taper. The 1130-0011-P1 has a 60 degree face cut across, this older image from the TD-100 series shows it a little clearer.

Also do the Pace Miniwave tips have that little depression on the face of the tip?

Yes you can see it on the 0.083"/3.05mm Miniwave, 1130-0032-P1 and in this video.

« Last Edit: July 16, 2018, 09:43:29 pm by Shock »
Soldering/Rework: Pace ADS200, Pace MBT350
Multimeters: Fluke 189, 87V, 117, 112   >>> WANTED STUFF <<<
Oszilloskopen: Lecroy 9314, Phillips PM3065, Tektronix 2215a, 314

The following users thanked this post: knotlogic

Offline Cliff MatthewsTopic starter

• Supporter
    • General Repair and Support
« Reply #482 on: July 17, 2018, 12:46:53 pm »
Apparently Dave is getting too close to his Pace  :-DD

The following users thanked this post: PACE-Worldwide

Offline knotlogic

• Regular Contributor
« Reply #483 on: July 17, 2018, 02:28:38 pm »
Thanks!  Now to wait for the reviews.  :)

Offline PACE-Worldwide

• Regular Contributor
    • PACE Worldwide Website
« Reply #484 on: July 17, 2018, 04:05:31 pm »

Hi knotlogic,

See Shock's reply to your question about bevel vs. chisel tips, as he explains it well.

Miniwave tips are specifically designed for drag soldering across multiple leads. The spoon-shaped "depression" is key to the way any Miniwave (also called hoof or drag soldering) tip works. You fill the cavity with solder and it acts like a quill pen, replenishing the solder as it drags across multiple leads. A bevel type tip will also work well for drag soldering, but you'll have to add solder much more often. We call it the Miniwave because the tip acts as a miniature wave soldering machine.

By the way, PACE is the originator of Miniwave technology, which was accidentally discovered in the late 80's by one of our applications engineers. He was experimenting with drag soldering using a beveled tip, and found that a spoon shape allowed him to solder 4-sided QFPs and PLCCs (new at that time) on all 4-sides without adding additional solder to the tip. The Miniwave cavity was quickly adopted by Metcal and ERSA, and later by most other soldering iron manufacturers. Too bad we didn't try to patent it!

Aaron

The following users thanked this post: Shock, tooki

Offline tooki

• Super Contributor
« Reply #485 on: July 17, 2018, 06:16:41 pm »
I have one for my Ersa and it’s great. They are not only good for SMD, but also for other things where you want to prevent excess solder from collecting, such as tinning small stranded wire.

Offline VK4GHZ

• Contributor
« Reply #486 on: July 18, 2018, 11:30:02 am »
So what's up with the ADS200 supply problems?
It's been weeks now, and stockists either don't have the ADS200 with ISB stand, or can't even order them from Pace.

The silence is deafening, and something is clearly wrong.

Offline EEVblog

• Administrator
    • EEVblog
« Reply #487 on: July 18, 2018, 11:54:16 am »
TLDL;
It's not nearly as good thermally as the JBC CD-B, good 20+ degC difference in capability at low temp, I was very surprised. So much for "delivers unsurpassed thermal performance"  :-//
So no JBC killer, unless price is your sole driving factor.
Well built though and pretty sexy.
The display has some random number and overshoot weirdness.

(video may not be processed yet)
« Last Edit: July 18, 2018, 11:57:07 am by EEVblog »

The following users thanked this post: VK4GHZ

Offline In Vacuo Veritas

• Frequent Contributor
  • !
  • I like vacuum tubes. Electrons exist, holes don't.
« Reply #488 on: July 18, 2018, 12:25:28 pm »
Sounds like crap, then. But that's OK, they can't make 'em anyways!  :-DD

Offline glarsson

• Frequent Contributor
« Reply #489 on: July 18, 2018, 12:59:13 pm »
Why is the setback feature called INSTANT setback when it is delayed? Wouldn't automatic setback be a more suitable name?

Offline In Vacuo Veritas

• Frequent Contributor
  • !
« Reply #490 on: July 18, 2018, 01:07:16 pm »
 :palm:

It's worse than I thought, looks like they can't even program a PID loop correctly, decode keypresses, and update a display. And that layout, like Dave says, is rubbish.

Offline EEVblog

• Administrator
    • EEVblog
« Reply #491 on: July 18, 2018, 01:11:19 pm »
Why is the setback feature called INSTANT setback when it is delayed? Wouldn't automatic setback be a more suitable name?

Yes, I found it a bit annoying actually, unlike the JBC one which you don't even really notice. Probably worth saving the $30 and going without it.

Offline PACE-Worldwide

• Regular Contributor
    • PACE Worldwide Website
« Reply #492 on: July 18, 2018, 01:12:51 pm »
It's been weeks now, and stockists either don't have the ADS200 with ISB stand, or can't even order them from Pace.

As explained before in this forum, we experienced manufacturing issues in March, which delayed production by months. But those issues have been resolved since June, and our distributors are still in the process of filling their pipeline. You may wish to go to our Distributor Listing:

www.paceworldwide.com/where-to-buy/reps-and-distributors

Or you can buy direct from PACE's website:

ADS200 with Standard Tool Stand: www.paceworldwide.com/products/soldering-stations/digital-control-soldering-systems/ads200-accudrive-production-soldering-station-with-td200

ADS200 with Instant Setback Tool Stand: www.paceworldwide.com/products/soldering-stations/digital-control-soldering-systems/ads200-accudrive-production-soldering-station-with-td200

Offline EEVblog

• Administrator
    • EEVblog
« Reply #493 on: July 18, 2018, 01:15:15 pm »
It's worse than I thought, looks like they can't even program a PID loop correctly

I suspect the actual PID loop is fine, it could just be something's up with the temperature display measurement routine. It's not like the tip can suddenly jump to 400C and then back down the 330C within a second or whatever it did.

Offline EEVblog

• Administrator
    • EEVblog
« Reply #494 on: July 18, 2018, 01:18:04 pm »

As explained before in this forum, we experienced manufacturing issues in March, which delayed production by months. But those issues have been resolved since June, and our distributors are still in the process of filling their pipeline. You may wish to go to our Distributor Listing:

Tequipment have stock at least.

Offline alank2

• Super Contributor
« Reply #495 on: July 18, 2018, 01:20:12 pm »
I think the first version of the firmware had a more stable display, as in, you didn't see the fluctuation as often, so I prefer the latest version even if it does show the overshoot a bit more and is a bit more jumpy.  I find that better than such a stable display where it never leaves the set temp because you don't really see what is going on with the tip.

Dave - did you also check the tip temp of the JBC during the test, it is probably bang on, but that would have been nice to verify as well since we are doing a low temp test.

Offline PACE-Worldwide

• Regular Contributor
    • PACE Worldwide Website
« Reply #496 on: July 18, 2018, 01:25:59 pm »
It's worse than I thought, looks like they can't even program a PID loop correctly

I suspect the actual PID loop is fine, it could just be something's up with the temperature display measurement routine. It's not like the tip can suddenly jump to 400C and then back down the 330C within a second or whatever it did.

You are correct. Like all other soldering iron manufacturers (including JBC, Hakko, Ersa and Weller), we use temperature display dampening software. This is because if you saw the real-time temperature fluctuations at the sensor level, it might throw you into an epileptic fit with all the temperature variation shown on the display.
« Last Edit: July 18, 2018, 01:39:46 pm by PACE-Worldwide »

Offline In Vacuo Veritas

• Frequent Contributor
  • !
« Reply #497 on: July 18, 2018, 01:31:23 pm »

Then why does it appear to run "cold" with the same power as the JBC? Something's off at the P term seems to me.

Offline VK4GHZ

• Contributor
« Reply #498 on: July 18, 2018, 01:33:04 pm »
Tequipment have stock at least.
Nope!
Not even TEquipment currently have the ISB model (albeit 120VAC version) either, hence my original question.
They show 10 units with the standard stand, and no ISB units.

Anyway... after months of waiting, I'm now considering the JBC.
« Last Edit: July 18, 2018, 01:35:43 pm by VK4GHZ »

Offline VK4GHZ

• Contributor
« Reply #499 on: July 18, 2018, 01:50:25 pm »

Or you can buy direct from PACE's website:

ADS200 with Standard Tool Stand: www.paceworldwide.com/products/soldering-stations/digital-control-soldering-systems/ads200-accudrive-production-soldering-station-with-td200

ADS200 with Instant Setback Tool Stand: www.paceworldwide.com/products/soldering-stations/digital-control-soldering-systems/ads200-accudrive-production-soldering-station-with-td200
Thanks Aaron.
I've been across everything since April, and was aware of the issues.
Tried ordering directly from Pace last week, but the price comes up as $0.00
That's a bargain!

But USD$280 for freight to Australia?
Don't think so!

:-(

Share me

Digg  Facebook  SlashDot  Delicious  Technorati  Twitter  Google  Yahoo
Smf