Author Topic: Pace ADS200 soldering station  (Read 370743 times)

mahi and 9 Guests are viewing this topic.

Offline arcticfox

Re: Newest Pace ADS200 station (tempting durability, and just over $200)
« Reply #950 on: February 21, 2019, 04:19:53 pm »
Finally, I am another happy owner of the Pace ADS200 with ISB plus 5 Standard Blue Series Tips to get started.

I ordered it yesterday from Farnell export and I got it today. It took less than 18 hours..best price in Europe with a 15% off voucher + UPS free shipping!
The offer expires on February 22.

First impressions: It looks and feels so good and robust! It's built to last! those who talk about the construction they are damn right!  8)

Thank you everyone for your reviews, comments and knowledge. It helped me a lot in order to decide which soldering station to buy. no regrets!!!  :-+

member Shock, I really appreciate your help! some photos as I promised..

The following users thanked this post: Shock

Offline grantb5

• Regular Contributor
« Reply #951 on: February 21, 2019, 07:24:50 pm »
Score!  Good job.

Not sure I'm doing it right, but I had to reduce the amount of that gold colored brillo tip cleaner thing by about half to get it in the slot on the stand.  It didn't seem like two and it was tricky to evenly divide in half.

In other news, my firmware update 1.2 -> 1.4 arrived but I've been under the weather so no chance to do that yet.

Offline Shock

• Super Contributor
« Reply #952 on: February 21, 2019, 08:43:21 pm »
First impressions: It looks and feels so good and robust! It's built to last! those who talk about the construction they are damn right!  8)

member Shock, I really appreciate your help! some photos as I promised..

No problem at all, nice to see you're all set to go. I've had mine for just over 6 months now, lost track of how many hours and couldn't be happier.

Not sure I'm doing it right, but I had to reduce the amount of that gold colored brillo tip cleaner thing by about half to get it in the slot on the stand.  It didn't seem like two and it was tricky to evenly divide in half.

I just squashed mine flat a little and then wedged them in, it doesn't matter though it will work just as well. Pace brass wool (1129-0018-P1) goes for about $3 or so.

Most of the time I prefer my stands to be out of the way as I have several of them. It's easier to clean tips in front of me so I use a cheap generic brass wool holder with the Pace wool (and throw out the Chinese stuff), pays to put tape around them to prevent the base coming off and spilling solder.

« Last Edit: February 21, 2019, 09:04:42 pm by Shock »
Soldering/Rework: Pace ADS200, Pace MBT350
Multimeters: Fluke 189, 87V, 117, 112   >>> WANTED STUFF <<<
Oszilloskopen: Lecroy 9314, Phillips PM3065, Tektronix 2215a, 314

Offline bsudbrink

• Frequent Contributor
« Reply #953 on: February 21, 2019, 09:23:34 pm »
I have several packets of that brass wool and I know I should use it... but I "grew up" on the damp sponge.  Somehow, I need the hiss of the hot tip touching the damp sponge.

Offline grantb5

• Regular Contributor
« Reply #954 on: February 21, 2019, 10:06:52 pm »
I have several packets of that brass wool and I know I should use it... but I "grew up" on the damp sponge.  Somehow, I need the hiss of the hot tip touching the damp sponge.

Same here. I'm a "sponger" and a "flicker" (to get rid of a blob).  I also have a Weller WTCPN (or whatever the all-in-one base station model # was in 1983) that I used until last year ... always with the sponging and flicking.  Changed a few tips and that's it.  Used very little water on the sponge and didn't drown my tip. Still works. Neighbor keeps wanting to borrow a soldering iron so I got myself the Pace and he can now borrow the Weller.

But I'm trying the brass wool thing. The kids are all over it.

Offline darik

• Regular Contributor
« Reply #955 on: February 21, 2019, 10:11:18 pm »

Same here. I'm a "sponger" and a "flicker" (to get rid of a blob).  I also have a Weller WTCPN (or whatever the all-in-one base station model # was in 1983) that I used until last year ... always with the sponging and flicking.  Changed a few tips and that's it.  Used very little water on the sponge and didn't drown my tip. Still works. Neighbor keeps wanting to borrow a soldering iron so I got myself the Pace and he can now borrow the Weller.

But I'm trying the brass wool thing. The kids are all over it.

They complement each other. I find the sponge is the way to go to get heavy oxidation off and get back to shiny and the wool is good for getting excess solder off. If one isn't fixing things, the other will.

Offline labjr

• Frequent Contributor
« Reply #956 on: February 22, 2019, 12:08:10 am »
I've always used a sponge or the front of my jeans when in the field. Haven't used brass wool. That seems like trying to shower without water.
« Last Edit: February 22, 2019, 12:38:49 am by labjr »

Offline bsudbrink

• Frequent Contributor
« Reply #957 on: February 22, 2019, 12:14:40 am »
I've always used a sponge or the front on my jeans
You're a tougher man than I am.  :-DD

Offline joeqsmith

• Super Contributor
« Reply #958 on: February 24, 2019, 06:18:26 pm »
I've always used a sponge or the front of my jeans when in the field. Haven't used brass wool. That seems like trying to shower without water.

:-DD :-DD I was a diehard sponge guy, mainly because that is how I always did it.  Once in a while I would use my finger tips or a tissue.   A few years ago I finally tried brass wool.  It's easier to maintain and seems to do a better job cleaning.  It's rare I will use a sponge anymore.   

We are almost into March.  Tweezers should be hitting the market any day now!!!!   

Offline grantb5

• Regular Contributor
« Reply #959 on: February 24, 2019, 06:35:20 pm »
In other news, my firmware update 1.2 -> 1.4 arrived but I've been under the weather so no chance to do that yet.

I did the update last night. One needs to swap a microcontroller in a socketed PLCC package. Extractor was supplied. New 1.4 firmware says Rev E on the label. No major dramas since I've done PLCC extraction before ... it takes a certain finessing even with an extractor. Serious torque on the screws that hold the front panel on. I would say that was the biggest surprise. :)  I took my time so maybe 15 minutes tops since I actually read the instructions (that were v1.1 to v1.2 by the way, so a bit out of sync with the actual update). Anyway, Bob's your uncle and I'm back in business except for this hellish cold.

Online tooki

• Super Contributor
« Reply #960 on: February 25, 2019, 11:38:15 am »
A better analogy is that it's like a squeegee, wiping off the gunk. First time I tried it, I was very positively surprised at how much better it is than the damp sponge. I really do suggest you try it!

Offline rigrunner

• Frequent Contributor
« Reply #961 on: March 01, 2019, 09:37:30 pm »
You lot are a bad influence!
An ADS200 turned up today :)

It must have been on Farnell's shelves  for a while. Firmware 1-2

Edit:

The top part of my hand piece stand is very wobbly. The screw at the rear seems to have had the threads destroyed :(

« Last Edit: March 01, 2019, 10:32:00 pm by rigrunner »
Internet of Things: A solution desperately trying to find its problem

Offline Shock

• Super Contributor
« Reply #962 on: March 02, 2019, 01:04:04 am »
You lot are a bad influence!
An ADS200 turned up today :)

It must have been on Farnell's shelves  for a while. Firmware 1-2
The top part of my hand piece stand is very wobbly. The screw at the rear seems to have had the threads destroyed :(

Cool, you will get to enjoy the difference between the 1.2 and 1.4 firmware plus have a spare :)

I have several of the stands and they are essentially the same base part across both Intelliheat and Accudrive stations, I recall one was a bit loose after being fully tightened.

It may seem like thread is stripped when it isn't so careful to avoid overly tightening or crossing the thread. If it is stripped the screw will freely turn forever under screwing force (rather than tightening force). If that is not the case do the following which worked for me.

With a good screwdriver try and back out the screw if you can, ensure the thread is clean and apply some wax or oil on the screws thread (this will make it easier to tell if tight is tight). If there is still a bit of wiggle add a washer under the screws head. It can be anything bit of card, plastic, loop of wire or few turns of solder might even work, or you can add a shim or washer between the two plates if that works better.

You are just trying to add a spacer so if the thread is biting it will allow the screw to have more purchase to pull the two plates together. See how you go.

Offline rigrunner

• Frequent Contributor
« Reply #963 on: March 02, 2019, 01:18:52 am »
Took it apart earlier.
The screw itself is fine and full of shavings. The thread in the aluminium of the top half of the stand is completely chewed out. It looks like the assembly monkey was a bit too eager with the screwdriver.

The following users thanked this post: Shock

Offline Shock

• Super Contributor
« Reply #964 on: March 02, 2019, 04:07:41 am »
Took it apart earlier.
The screw itself is fine and full of shavings. The thread in the aluminum of the top half of the stand is completely chewed out. It looks like the assembly monkey was a bit too eager with the screwdriver.

Just had a look at mine and seems an easy fix without going too OCD. Find a suitable nut for the screw (or replacement). To make it easier to install, put a dab of glue on the nut to fix it aligned with the hole on the inside of the top cover.

There is a nice flat surface for the nut to go against, the screw on the one I looked at seemed long enough to fit a washer and lock washer if you wanted to go all out. Now you can claim your station is fully modded. :D

Edit:

If you don't have glue you can also use tape to just get it started and hopefully the nut will self tighten under finger pressure. It's an old trick making captive screws by gluing, soldering, J-B welding etc (if that wasn't already obvious).
« Last Edit: March 02, 2019, 04:27:00 am by Shock »

Offline rigrunner

• Frequent Contributor
« Reply #965 on: March 02, 2019, 04:32:57 am »
Yes, it's easy enough to repair. Either nut and bolt or re-tap to next thread size.

It's a shame to have to fix a brand new stand. The Base unit itself is put together so well.  :-+
« Last Edit: March 02, 2019, 04:35:21 am by rigrunner »

Offline Shock

• Super Contributor
« Reply #966 on: March 02, 2019, 05:28:39 am »
Yes, it's easy enough to repair. Either nut and bolt or re-tap to next thread size.

It's a shame to have to fix a brand new stand. The Base unit itself is put together so well.  :-+

I'd just use a nut and the existing screw since its machine threaded. I tend to buy mostly secondhand gear that comes preloved unless it's unavoidable, so I can tell you time (and the right tools) heal all wounds :)

Offline Cliff MatthewsTopic starter

• Supporter
    • General Repair and Support
« Reply #967 on: March 02, 2019, 01:44:00 pm »
Took it apart earlier.
The screw itself is fine and full of shavings. The thread in the aluminium of the top half of the stand is completely chewed out. It looks like the assembly monkey was a bit too eager with the screwdriver.
OK you bring an exception to the norm on this thread, why don't we see pictures? :-// It would help everyone if you'd post a serial number or PM it to PACE-Worldwide (Aaron, member here) so this can be tracked straight down to your "assembly monkey"...  :)  :-DD
« Last Edit: March 02, 2019, 04:36:53 pm by Cliff Matthews »

Offline Shock

• Super Contributor
« Reply #968 on: March 02, 2019, 02:44:34 pm »
Snr Det. Cliff Mathews on the case. Don't list the serial number, you will be blacklisted by Pace for screw tampering. :) That was a joke btw.

Offline particleman

• Regular Contributor
« Reply #969 on: March 02, 2019, 08:46:21 pm »
I'm in the USA and looking to pick up the ADS200 with the setback feature. Where is the best place to buy right now?

• Supporter
« Reply #970 on: March 02, 2019, 09:38:51 pm »
I'm in the USA and looking to pick up the ADS200 with the setback feature. Where is the best place to buy right now?
I believe there is still EEVblog member pricing here:
https://www.tequipment.net/Pace/ADS200-8007-0579/Soldering-Stations/

Offline rigrunner

• Frequent Contributor
« Reply #971 on: March 02, 2019, 09:47:41 pm »
OK you bring an exception to the norm on this thread, why don't we see pictures? :-// It would help everyone if you'd post a serial number or PM it to PACE-Worldwide (Aaron, member here) so this can be tracked straight down to your "assembly monkey"...  :)  :-DD

I did try to take a picture of the threaded hole. I failed miserably. I'll get my better half on the case.

Serial number is 010-145-A-007-43297.

I've dropped an email to service@paceworldwide.
« Last Edit: March 02, 2019, 10:24:09 pm by rigrunner »

The following users thanked this post: Cliff Matthews

Offline particleman

• Regular Contributor
« Reply #972 on: March 02, 2019, 10:05:15 pm »

[/quote]
I believe there is still EEVblog member pricing here:
https://www.tequipment.net/Pace/ADS200-8007-0579/Soldering-Stations/
[/quote]

How do you get the member price?

• Supporter
« Reply #973 on: March 02, 2019, 11:37:51 pm »
I'm in Canada and have not purchased with them before. But search works wonders and I noticed "Gift Certificates or Coupon Code" appears at check out. Good reading: https://www.eevblog.com/forum/testgear/eevblog-members-discount-at-tequipment/

Offline labjr

• Frequent Contributor
« Reply #974 on: March 02, 2019, 11:56:02 pm »

I did try to take a picture of the threaded hole. I failed miserably. I'll get my better half on the case.

Serial number is 010-145-A-007-43297.

I've dropped an email to service@paceworldwide.

Likely stripped from too much torque. And really not enough meat there to make enough threads in that material (cast aluminum). I'd probably glue a stainless nut inside as suggested.

Share me

Digg  Facebook  SlashDot  Delicious  Technorati  Twitter  Google  Yahoo
Smf