Author Topic: Three most useful tools I got from AliExpress  (Read 530 times)

Offline watchmakerTopic starter

• Frequent Contributor
  • Self Study in EE
    • Precision Timepiece Restoration and Service
Three most useful tools I got from AliExpress
« on: Yesterday at 12:48:24 pm »
The ckt board holder is stable and holds.  Much better than the alligator clamping thingies.  The Proskit is a joy. We had to heat and strike to desolder.  The Iwiss tool does a great job and is highly polished.

2149177-0

Regards,

Dewey

Online pcprogrammer

• Super Contributor
Re: Three most useful tools I got from AliExpress
« Reply #1 on: Yesterday at 03:47:42 pm »
Links to the tools please.  :)

The board holder does look very nice, and do I see you invested in a chip tester? The one Adrian Black (digital basement) used to test al kinds of chips with?

Offline Calambres

• Frequent Contributor
    • Piso-Tones
« Reply #2 on: Yesterday at 06:28:41 pm »
I've got the board holder and the Proskit solder sucker. Both are good and work fine for me.

• Frequent Contributor
  • Self Study in EE
« Reply #3 on: Yesterday at 09:40:16 pm »

The board holder does look very nice, and do I see you invested in a chip tester? The one Adrian Black (digital basement) used to test al kinds of chips with?

I really like the board holder.    If a board is too long, you can always hold it sideways or buy an Aluminum bar at a metals supplier.

Yes, I am assembling the retrochip tester from 8bit-museum.de.  I found it is much cheaper (but more painful) to order the parts from DigiKey; $120 vs about $250.

Per Request:

https://www.aliexpress.us/item/3256806317632603.html

https://www.aliexpress.us/item/2255800993178532.html

I have to find the ProsKit desolder gun.  But it was about $100; bought it as a "first timer" on another account.  (Yes, I am that cheap!)
Regards,

Dewey

The following users thanked this post: pcprogrammer

Offline tatel

• Frequent Contributor
« Reply #4 on: Today at 04:20:52 am »
I have to find the ProsKit desolder gun.  But it was about $100; bought it as a "first timer" on another account.  (Yes, I am that cheap!)

https://aliexpress.com/item/32957483227.html

The following users thanked this post: ledtester, pcprogrammer

Offline pope

• Frequent Contributor
« Reply #5 on: Today at 07:03:08 am »

I really like the board holder.    If a board is too long, you can always hold it sideways or buy an Aluminum bar at a metals supplier.

Yes, I am assembling the retrochip tester from 8bit-museum.de.  I found it is much cheaper (but more painful) to order the parts from DigiKey; $120 vs about $250.

Per Request:

https://www.aliexpress.us/item/3256806317632603.html

https://www.aliexpress.us/item/2255800993178532.html

Did you buy the board holder from this specific shop? IT has rather low feedback so I'm a bit hesitant.

• Frequent Contributor
  • Self Study in EE
« Reply #6 on: Today at 09:45:14 am »
Yes, it is from "my orders" page.  Looky at the ratings as well as the number.  Came fast as well.

Regards,

Dewey
Regards,

Dewey

The following users thanked this post: pope

Offline pope

• Frequent Contributor
« Reply #7 on: Today at 09:50:04 am »
Yes, it is from "my orders" page.  Looky at the ratings as well as the number.  Came fast as well.

Regards,

Dewey

Thank you.

Online wraper

• Supporter
« Reply #8 on: Today at 10:00:30 am »
It's one of the most useless tools I have. It sucks at everything besides that it actually holds the board. The only way it's useable is if you insert TH components and bend the leads so they don't fall out before putting it in holder. Inserting while in holder is a no-go. Not to say soldering under angle means that solder tends to flow downwards, especially on large solder joints. Frankly board just laying on the desk works better.

The following users thanked this post: bookaboo

Offline pope

• Frequent Contributor
« Reply #9 on: Today at 01:22:23 pm »
It's one of the most useless tools I have. It sucks at everything besides that it actually holds the board. The only way it's useable is if you insert TH components and bend the leads so they don't fall out before putting it in holder. Inserting while in holder is a no-go. Not to say soldering under angle means that solder tends to flow downwards, especially on large solder joints. Frankly board just laying on the desk works better.

Are you talking about this specific holder or about holders in general? Personally I find board holders very handy when I use the desoldering pump instead of the gun.

Online wraper

• Supporter
« Reply #10 on: Today at 02:45:30 pm »

Are you talking about this specific holder or about holders in general? Personally I find board holders very handy when I use the desoldering pump instead of the gun.
I'm talking about this type of holder in particular. Maybe it's ok if desoldering with solder sucker but when pulling component from opposite side it often obstructs your hand/tweezers.
« Last Edit: Today at 02:49:04 pm by wraper »

Share me

Digg  Facebook  SlashDot  Delicious  Technorati  Twitter  Google  Yahoo
Smf