Author Topic: Different bases on Amscope microscope  (Read 598 times)

Offline HobGoblynTopic starter

• Supporter
Different bases on Amscope microscope
« on: April 20, 2024, 06:38:40 pm »
Hi all.

I want to buy a double boom stand for my microscope, I notice there appears to be two different designs for the bases.

Anyone got experience of both (or either for that matter)

Both are exactly the same price, both are from Amscope (one from their website,  one from their  Amazon store)

Personally I prefer the all flat one, but want to hear peoples experience with it.

Reason I’m upgrading from the single arm is I want to be able to easily move it out of the way when not in use etc.

Thanks

« Last Edit: April 20, 2024, 06:40:26 pm by HobGoblyn »

Offline Gyro

• Super Contributor
Re: Different bases on Amscope microscope
« Reply #1 on: April 20, 2024, 08:16:35 pm »
I would go for the bottom one and turn the base around. You really want as big a 'throat depth' as you can so that you can get as far across a big board as possible. With the microscope pushed back out of the way, that space at the rear is wasted anyway. Add extra ballast to the base if necessary.
Best Regards, Chris

The following users thanked this post: thm_w, HobGoblyn

• Supporter
« Reply #2 on: April 20, 2024, 08:18:56 pm »
While true, wouldn’t it tip over the other way around?

Offline jfiresto

• Frequent Contributor
« Reply #3 on: April 20, 2024, 08:30:47 pm »
The second one looks like a counter-weighted stand. Turning it around would be like shifting the weight from the microscope's end to the other end of a see saw. (A good thing, I would think.)

EDIT: The tell is the fingered-arc off the right which would increase the horizontal clearance to a microscope and its specimen further off to the right. (My ideas are coming out a bit slow – it is getting late.)
« Last Edit: April 20, 2024, 08:40:51 pm by jfiresto »
-John

The following users thanked this post: Gyro, HobGoblyn

Offline Gyro

• Super Contributor
« Reply #4 on: April 20, 2024, 08:34:57 pm »

I don't know, it depends how much solid there is in that casting [Edit: as jfiresto says, it looks counterweighted]. I have an old Meiji and I use it that way round. That's why I said add extra ballast if necessary though.

I suppose you could do the same with the flat base too (adding a lot of ballast). It would give an even deeper throat and probably more sideways stability, but at the expense of taking up a wider bench footprint.
Best Regards, Chris

The following users thanked this post: HobGoblyn

• Supporter
« Reply #5 on: April 20, 2024, 08:43:10 pm »
That's why I said add extra ballast if necessary though

Completely missed that when I first read your comment, sorry.

If it’s anything like my single boom stand, it’s very heavy. Mind you, even with it the normal (as in the pics ) way around, when fully extended I could almost blow on the microscope and it will tip. Adding some sort of ballast is easily done.

My current single boom weighs 40 lbs

Both of the Double boom stands weigh the same, 50 lbs

The only reason I prefer the first pic is that with a large flat base, I can easily store other things on it
« Last Edit: April 20, 2024, 08:52:10 pm by HobGoblyn »

The following users thanked this post: Gyro

Offline jfiresto

• Frequent Contributor
« Reply #6 on: April 21, 2024, 05:41:19 am »
As someone who rightly fears tipping over a microscope, I think Amscope (or their CM) made a couple possibly grievous errors with the second stand.

The first is not putting their brand name in large letters on the rear counterweight. Reading that would not only stroke the advertising folk like contented cats, it would make clear when the arm is the wrong way around. The second is not having a key and cradle on the rear shaft block and vertical shaft stop/safety ring: to limit the horizontal swing to, say, ±45 degrees.
« Last Edit: April 21, 2024, 09:11:00 am by jfiresto »
-John

• Supporter
« Reply #7 on: April 22, 2024, 09:34:12 pm »
Was changing my mind and thinking of getting the one you all recommended.

Today Amscope have sent me an Earth Week 15% off site wide deal.

Mind you, Amscope as a company and after sales support have some really bad reviews on the web, so I’m wondering whether to buy from Amazon as Amazon UK will take anything back with virtually zero hassle.

Still personally think that £284.99 for a stand is overpriced but it’s no cheaper (after postage) anywhere else.

I’m currently putting together a new (and hopefully uncramped) lab in our spare room, and the ability to quickly move the microscope out of the way is going to make a huge difference, so even if I think it’s overpriced for what it is, if it helps me as much as I’m hoping it will, my wife will buy it for my birthday :)

It’s amazing how a few things can really get in the way.

My desk lamp was like the first pic, the base was very large, fixed that by buying a £10 desk clamp from Amazon (last pic)

One of the biggest pains is my hot air station, really wished the pipe came out on the right, not the left (second pic) but while it works perfectly for my use, wherever I put it, the hose always seems to manage to get in the way.

Last pic is of my new lab in its unfinished state, I’m hoping I can simply slide the microscope to the left (or diagonally to the left) when not in use

« Last Edit: April 22, 2024, 09:37:26 pm by HobGoblyn »

Offline thm_w

• Super Contributor
  • Non-expert
« Reply #8 on: April 22, 2024, 09:47:50 pm »
The second stand will tip over if its backwards and boom is fully extended yes. But I would clamp or screw the base to secure it to your desk. Then the second more compact one is preferred since it takes up less space.

$284 is a bit high for the stand alone, you can usually get the stand + microscope for ~$400 or less. But looks like you have the microscope already.
« Last Edit: April 22, 2024, 09:49:47 pm by thm_w »
Profile -> Modify profile -> Look and Layout ->  Don't show users' signatures

Offline jfiresto

• Frequent Contributor
« Reply #9 on: April 23, 2024, 03:30:59 pm »
My vote would also be for a microscope stand that clamps on to the back of the table. Your microscope slides onto a 20mm carrier post? That is not an uncommon size, so I wonder if you can find a higher quality stand – if you want or need that – new or used, perhaps (just guessing) from Meiji Techno? Wild Heerbrugg started with 20mm, but switched to 25 in the 1970s, another common size. Perhaps you could fashion or adapt a 20mm post+coupler to a stand you might find.

Here is one I fashioned to slide on to an otherwise complete boom stand. I made it using DIN standard parts, a tapped-to-order hardened shaft, and then not much more than a drill press:

« Last Edit: April 23, 2024, 03:40:54 pm by jfiresto »
-John

Offline KE5FX

• Super Contributor
    • KE5FX.COM
« Reply #10 on: April 23, 2024, 03:47:58 pm »
You want an articulating boom.  Those fixed stands suck.

• Supporter
« Reply #11 on: April 23, 2024, 03:57:13 pm »
There’s a few YouTube vids saying to avoid the articulating ones at all costs

For example

https://youtu.be/dFdrTsDIw24?feature=shared

Offline jfiresto

• Frequent Contributor
« Reply #12 on: April 23, 2024, 05:15:12 pm »
I would you really like to know what the microscope will be used for, before I would include or exclude a type of stand. I would also like to know how representative of its type, a particular example might be. I know a couple physicians who are quite happy with their articulated stands which makes me wonder if getting one right takes some care and a fair bit of money.

You probably noticed as that youtuber talked and played with the microscope, that his "Thor's Hammer", double-arm boom stand was wiggling in its base. Perhaps he has not used it for something, to notice or to experience a deal breaker.
« Last Edit: April 23, 2024, 05:20:14 pm by jfiresto »
-John

• Supporter
« Reply #13 on: April 23, 2024, 08:45:30 pm »
I’m just using it for examining circuit boards and smd soldering etc.  Only as a hobby, fixing the odd friends phone etc.

My current stand isn’t exactly bad, it just gets in the way when not in use.

From what I’ve seen on the web, with the double boom, I can have the stand to the left of me and easily slide it out when needed, sort of like in this pic (although he has it on the right).

I had serious health problems last year, had entire stomach removed due to cancer (am now cancer free yay)  then 3 days after being discharged, one of my lungs collapsed and they couldn’t get it to re inflate and I also got sepsis at the same time. Following an emergency op, 12 days  in intensive care and another 18 days in hospital, I was finally well enough to go home again.

That was 6 months ago and it takes up to 12 months to recover from my original op, yet alone my lung problems.  Been told that I will have chronic pain in my lungs for life.  Standing, lifting anything slightly heavy, coughing etc causes me severe pain, I’m already taking a silly amount of tablets a day plus fentanyl patch plus oral morphine, and that’s to cope with every day pain, not the worse pain I get from coughing, lifting, standing etc,

Only reason I’m telling you this is, I’m trying to explain what I’m trying to do.  As I can’t stand for very long, I can’t lift anything heavy (by heavy I mean a bag of groceries/shopping which is a lot lighter than my microscope) my wife (or I phone friends) has to move things where I want them.  I simply can’t do it.  This is why I’m now allowed to set up my lab in the spare room, as it gives me a bit more space to hopefully have everything laid out in a way where I don’t have to need constant help needing anything heavy moved.

If I  use my current stand, as it’s only one arm, as soon as I loosen it to push it back, it also rotates, and it was always a struggle/pain to get it back level before I had my health problems. I simply couldn’t do it now, hence looking into the double boom option.

I also must now keep fumes away from my lungs hence also need room for a fume extractor, which I will have coming up the back (bench is 2.5 inches or approx 65mm away from the wall) hence want the microscope to the left.

Building my own fume extractor very similar to the below link. Have the two boxes and the fans arriving tomorrow. I haven’t decided yet how to do the actual filters, the way he did it in the vid seems a little clumsy to me, still thinking about that one.  Will probably have it connected to a foot switch so I can turn it on and off while soldering.

https://youtu.be/JdrFsuAcm48?si=uBxvxBnlhS7Y6_Q4

Edit, just had a response from Amscope saying they don’t know why there’s two different pictures as they only do one base, they sent me the pdf of the manual to show me the correct stand, and said the website is the correct pic, they don’t know why it’s wrong on Amazon.

However, the manual they sent me had the smaller stand like the ones on Amazon and not like the ones on their website, so I’m none the wiser lol.
« Last Edit: April 23, 2024, 08:57:20 pm by HobGoblyn »

Offline thm_w

• Super Contributor
  • Non-expert
« Reply #14 on: April 23, 2024, 08:56:30 pm »
I wouldn't bother with a foot switch. Power sensing outlet that turns on when the soldering iron is on costs maybe $10 and is super straightforward. You'll never forget to turn it on or off.

Be aware with the boom arm to adjust up/down beyond the focusing rack range, you'll have to lift the weight of the microscope head and the arm, which is quite heavy.
But if you can get it setup where it is focused at desk level, that might be good enough for 99% of stuff.

To avoid that you could use a gas spring style arm, but, most people don't like those (more shake).
Profile -> Modify profile -> Look and Layout ->  Don't show users' signatures

Offline jfiresto

• Frequent Contributor
« Reply #15 on: Yesterday at 08:13:20 am »
I wonder if a surplus medical microscope stand (or its upper bits) might be the ticket, something like this one for the attached microscope. Perhaps the next time you are in for test or procedure you can find someone who will let you try one: to judge its ergonomics and maximum useful magnification.
« Last Edit: Yesterday at 08:32:55 am by jfiresto »
-John

Offline Psi

• Super Contributor
« Reply #16 on: Yesterday at 08:38:52 am »
I have one very similar to the 2nd one, if not the same.
Keep in mine if you turn the base around (so the majority of the base sticks out the back) then it is 1 hair away from toppling over when the microscope (with cam) is extended all the way out.
For me this wasn't an issue, I have my thermaltronics soldering station sitting on the rear part of the stand. It adds lots of weight and totally fixes that issue.
But it's a thing to be aware of.

You can also flip around the bit that holds the microscope so the whole microscope sits higher or lower.  Then adjust the bar higher or lower as needed.
I find this gave me a better setup with the bar higher up and the microscope at a good height for 0.5 barlow config.
« Last Edit: Yesterday at 08:42:05 am by Psi »
Greek letter 'Psi' (not Pounds per Square Inch)

The following users thanked this post: voltsandjolts, HobGoblyn

Offline voltsandjolts

• Supporter
« Reply #17 on: Yesterday at 11:06:39 am »
You may need this info at some point in the near future:
https://www.eevblog.com/forum/repair/amscope-double-boom-replacement-bearings/

• Supporter
« Reply #18 on: Yesterday at 03:16:58 pm »
Many thanks everyone.

I’ve ordered the double boom direct from Amscope as this week they have a 15% off deal, so it’s cost me £242 delivered.

I queried again about which base I would get, they responded with

————————

It is confirmed by our product manager: our website is the correct image. The pictures in Amazon must be updated.

Thank you for pointing that out.

Feel free to contact us again any time for further assistance.

————————

Their website has the larger flat  base as shown in the first pic of my OP.  So they must have changed the design, mind you, who wants to place bets that when it arrives, it’s like  the second pic lol.

That’s interesting voltsandjolts, hopefully they have improved things, but I’ve bookmarked it just in case.

Offline KE5FX

• Super Contributor
    • KE5FX.COM
« Reply #19 on: Yesterday at 09:54:09 pm »

For example

Right next to the YouTube vids saying that COVID-19 vaccines will improve your 5G reception, the Apollo landings were filmed by Stanley Kubrick, Donald Trump should be re-elected as President, and steak tastes best when marinated in used motor oil. 

Online SteveyG

• Supporter
  • Soldering Equipment Guru
« Reply #20 on: Today at 09:13:30 am »

For example

The articulating ones are perfectly fine so long as you don't use a camera as the vibrations are easily seen.

The double boom type is certainly the best though.
YouTube Channel: https://www.youtube.com/user/sdgelectronics/
Use code: “SDG5” to get 5% off JBC Equipment at Kaisertech

Share me

Digg  Facebook  SlashDot  Delicious  Technorati  Twitter  Google  Yahoo
Smf