Author Topic: Pace ADS200 soldering station  (Read 359608 times)

Offline Elasia

• Frequent Contributor
Re: Newest Pace ADS200 production station (a JBC killer at $239??)
« Reply #350 on: May 08, 2018, 11:04:55 pm »
Hello just checking in on the setback stand and firmware update?  are these available now?

Far as I can tell, we're still waiting. TEquipment is completely of stock and I've seen no new announcements anywhere. I'm thinking they're being a little more thorough this time with testing and QC before "going gold".

More than that by just watching my order and knowing some others that ordered it looks like they recalled the initial release batch.  So no.. not apple, they dont want whatever defect it was getting to far out there.

That said i got mine a few weeks ago with a 1/8 chisel that works just peachy. Very nice upgrade from my basic weller. Literally just got the mount bracket a few minutes ago from ups.  I'd rather wait for the rest of my tips than be suspicious of them dying on me so i dont really mind.

That said would love to know what happened with them if anyone hears something from pace

Offline CustomEngineerer

• Frequent Contributor
« Reply #351 on: May 09, 2018, 04:54:10 am »
Subbing for updates  :-+

Notify button at top and bottom of page should also perform same functionality without wasted post.

Offline Stavos122

• Contributor
« Reply #352 on: May 11, 2018, 09:38:12 pm »
At a retail price of $239 Pace is probably selling them at about $150 to distributors.  Seems too low for a quality unit that would compete with a precision brand like JBC.  Productions costs in China are on the rise and their workers are no longer making $0.50/hour.  Maybe they are planning to make up the low unit cost in tips (i.e. inkjet printer concept).  Maybe they hope to sell at least one unit to every eevblog subscriber and their neighbor.  Hand soldering going mainstream.

Offline mbless

• Regular Contributor
« Reply #353 on: May 11, 2018, 10:27:30 pm »
At a retail price of $239 Pace is probably selling them at about $150 to distributors.  Seems too low for a quality unit that would compete with a precision brand like JBC.  Productions costs in China are on the rise and their workers are no longer making $0.50/hour.  Maybe they are planning to make up the low unit cost in tips (i.e. inkjet printer concept).  Maybe they hope to sell at least one unit to every eevblog subscriber and their neighbor.  Hand soldering going mainstream.

The tips are supposed to be low cost as well, ~$11USD compared to $22USD for Hakko T15 tips. Unless you're implying they won't last long, which would be counter to Pace's history.

I was going to get a FX-951, but the ADS200 is the same price, has 60% more power, cheaper tips, and should be higher quality. Definitely going to get a the Pace once the firmware and tip quality issues are fleshed out.

Offline jagw

• Contributor
« Reply #354 on: May 11, 2018, 10:52:42 pm »

These are made in the US.   I suspect they are banking on existing tooling and economies of scale because many components seem to be similar or the same as their other products.

Offline Stavos122

• Contributor
« Reply #355 on: May 12, 2018, 02:53:24 pm »

These are made in the US.   I suspect they are banking on existing tooling and economies of scale because many components seem to be similar or the same as their other products.

Wow I did not realize Pace makes their soldering stations in US.  Even if "makes" means all components / modules are coming in from China and it takes them 5 minutes to put them together.  The fact that it will have Made in the USA on the label at this price point is impressive.   

Offline Alex Eisenhut

• Super Contributor
  • Place text here.
« Reply #356 on: May 20, 2018, 03:44:34 pm »
Any updates? I pre-ordered mine over two months ago.  ???
Hoarder of 8-bit Commodore relics and 1960s Tektronix 500-series stuff. Unconventional interior decorator.

Offline Shock

• Super Contributor
« Reply #357 on: May 20, 2018, 04:09:37 pm »
Any updates? I pre-ordered mine over two months ago.  ???

Not heard anything, we are all in the same boat.
I ordered a refill for my Pace fiber cleaning tool to tide me over.

Soldering/Rework: Pace ADS200, Pace MBT350
Multimeters: Fluke 189, 87V, 117, 112   >>> WANTED STUFF <<<
Oszilloskopen: Lecroy 9314, Phillips PM3065, Tektronix 2215a, 314

Offline helius

• Super Contributor
« Reply #358 on: May 21, 2018, 02:27:08 am »
Looks like a rebrand of a cleaning tool from Eraser Co.

Offline Dyaxxis

• Contributor
« Reply #359 on: May 21, 2018, 11:21:59 pm »
Looks like a rebrand of a cleaning tool from Eraser Co.

The Eraser Co. versions are somewhat similar in concept, however I believe Pace actually have made those Fibreglass/Sponge cleaning tools for at least 25 years (at least that's how long I've had mine). They're for sale by themselves as well as included with the PRC2000 sets: https://www.paceworldwide.com/products/accessories/tip-maintenance-station-

Offline labjr

• Frequent Contributor
« Reply #360 on: May 23, 2018, 10:09:32 pm »
TEquipment now lists the Pace ADS200 with setback stand. Maybe coming soon! Though not quite the same discount as the bare-bones model.

https://www.tequipment.net/Pace/ADS200-8007-0579/Soldering-Stations/?b=y&v=126323
« Last Edit: May 24, 2018, 02:22:04 am by labjr »

The following users thanked this post: Dyaxxis

Offline Cliff MatthewsTopic starter

• Supporter
    • General Repair and Support
« Reply #361 on: May 23, 2018, 11:35:20 pm »
TEquipment now lists the Pace ADS200 with setback stand. Maybe coming soon! Though quite not the same discount as the bare-bones model.

https://www.tequipment.net/Pace/ADS200-8007-0579/Soldering-Stations/?b=y&v=126323
Even with ISB stand, that $265 MSRP still looks very competitive. Who else delivers 120watts in that range?
Perhaps the long delay is because they're so serious on production-level perfection.

Offline Shock

• Super Contributor
« Reply #362 on: May 24, 2018, 12:20:47 am »
TEquipment now lists the Pace ADS200 with setback stand. Maybe coming soon! Though quite not the same discount as the bare-bones model.

Even with ISB stand, that $265 MSRP still looks very competitive. Who else delivers 120watts in that range?
Perhaps the long delay is because they're so serious on production-level perfection.

Tequipments sale price is $252 for the ISB combo so that is $237 if they do the EEVblog discount, and free US shipping. That's pretty sweet :D.

Offline knapik

• Regular Contributor
« Reply #363 on: May 24, 2018, 08:27:01 am »
For being as poor as I am, I am rather interested in this new soldering station. I'm a bit disappointed with my current one and wouldn't mind (too much at least) investing for something which should be future proof.

Offline mavu

• Contributor
« Reply #364 on: May 24, 2018, 11:21:54 am »
I have a decision problem:

wait until this becomes available in europe for a decent price, or go for the Unisolder DIY approach.

Any comments?

Offline Shock

• Super Contributor
« Reply #365 on: May 24, 2018, 12:28:42 pm »
I have a decision problem:
wait until this becomes available in europe for a decent price, or go for the Unisolder DIY approach. Any comments?

I considered the Unisolder when it first came out, if you use a high power handle that has a decent tip range you don't need to consider multiple handle compatibility though, so seemed a bit of a waste and of extra effort.

So then I was considering "high end" high power handle of about $100 and DIY my own power supply and user interface with adjustable temp, put it in a nice case, controls where I like them etc.

Really Pace have done the same thing here with the ADS200, way cheaper in time and effort than DIY and hits all the marks, a nice user interface, metal construction. There is nothing really not to like about it. Tip range, price, company, and based on their past series the Accudrive range has room to expand. Big red LEDs is like icing on the cake for me.

I've ordered a couple so am looking forward to that, will run two handles and try the tweezers later when they are done.

Offline labjr

• Frequent Contributor
« Reply #366 on: May 25, 2018, 10:24:29 pm »
I had some downtime today, so I spoke with the TEquipment rep that handles Pace line. He said no ETA yet. So I'll keep waiting and hope my Weller doesn't die in the meantime. It's over 20. A while back, I had to cut and shorten the cord at the strain relief.

Offline hrbngr

• Contributor
« Reply #367 on: May 27, 2018, 01:51:34 am »
Dyaxxis,

How are those cleaning tools used?  Sponge vs Fiberglass? 

Also, speaking of fiberglass, I was thinking of buy a fiberglass cleaner/scratch brush for removing flux, but then I read about how messy and dangerous they can be (with out goggles), is there a decent flux tool besides these scratch brushes?

Offline Dyaxxis

• Contributor
« Reply #368 on: May 27, 2018, 02:33:01 am »
How are those cleaning tools used?  Sponge vs Fiberglass?

Essentially, they were designed by Pace to use with a brushing motion to clean off "speciality tips", like the "IC" removal tips. Here's a nice video which shows how they can be used:

Over the years, I've actually learned much cheaper, milder, yet very effective methods to clean my soldering iron tips. Believe it or not, I use this method:

Only difference is that I use a high-temp silicon pad with piece of "low-lint flux residue removal fabric" if I think a Kimwipe would not be sufficient.

Also, speaking of fiberglass, I was thinking of buy a fiberglass cleaner/scratch brush for removing flux, but then I read about how messy and dangerous they can be (with out goggles), is there a decent flux tool besides these scratch brushes?

Unless there's absolutely no alternative, I personally am not too keen on using abrasive techniques to remove "dried/hardened" flux. I use a safe solvent along with a Kimwipe or a "disposable lint-free cloth."

The following users thanked this post: VK4GHZ

Offline helius

• Super Contributor
« Reply #369 on: May 27, 2018, 07:45:04 pm »
Removing flux residue with a fiber brush? No. Use flux remover solvent.
The fiberglass brush is for cleaning corrosion on surfaces that will not be soldered, like battery contacts.

Offline Shock

• Super Contributor
« Reply #370 on: May 28, 2018, 03:19:40 am »
The fiber pencils are the best scratch tools for PCB tracks. The Pace one is good for eyelets, turrets etc or roughing up larger areas and cleaning clingy crap/rubbish off solder tips. It's not affected by heat and easy to use so fits it's purpose and a fairly low abrasive when just wiping with a light touch.

For old rosin flux on the PCB pure IPA works but it doesn't instantly melt, you have to add a bit of rubbing or use a small brush to loose it up. Rosin won't just evaporate off either but when sticky it's easier to dilute it and remove with a bud or wipe/cloth, if it's very dilute it can be rinsed away.

The commercial flux removers may have IPA but will likely have additional more aggressive solvents in the mix as well. If you wanted to control what you are using or DIY you can make your own cocktail.

Offline MacMeter

• Frequent Contributor
« Reply #371 on: May 28, 2018, 02:17:59 pm »
The fiber pencils are the best scratch tools for PCB tracks. The Pace one is good for eyelets, turrets etc or roughing up larger areas and cleaning clingy crap/rubbish off solder tips. It's not affected by heat and easy to use so fits it's purpose and a fairly low abrasive when just wiping with a light touch.

For old rosin flux on the PCB pure IPA works but it doesn't instantly melt, you have to add a bit of rubbing or use a small brush to loose it up. Rosin won't just evaporate off either but when sticky it's easier to dilute it and remove with a bud or wipe/cloth, if it's very dilute it can be rinsed away.

The commercial flux removers may have IPA but will likely have additional more aggressive solvents in the mix as well. If you wanted to control what you are using or DIY you can make your own cocktail.

I watched that entire long video again, as those Pace tools fascinate me. It seems for large odd size tips the fiber pen is a good option, but for my normal size tips, don’t see how a fiber pen is any better then the Hakko flux coated brass pads.

Offline Bud

• Super Contributor
« Reply #372 on: May 28, 2018, 02:44:06 pm »
Over the years, I've actually learned much cheaper, milder, yet very effective methods to clean my soldering iron tips. Believe it or not, I use this method:

What is "gold brillow tip cleaner" ?
Facebook-free life and Rigol-free shack.

Offline helius

• Super Contributor
« Reply #373 on: May 28, 2018, 03:38:58 pm »
What is "gold brillow tip cleaner" ?
My guess is that the video creator meant an ordinary "brass wool" tip cleaner. Brillo™ is a brand of kitchen scouring pads.

Offline MacMeter

• Frequent Contributor
« Reply #374 on: May 28, 2018, 04:13:50 pm »
These:

Share me

Digg  Facebook  SlashDot  Delicious  Technorati  Twitter  Google  Yahoo
Smf