Author Topic: Pace ADS200 soldering station  (Read 359509 times)

Online Bud

• Super Contributor
Re: Newest Pace ADS200 production station (a JBC killer at $239??)
« Reply #375 on: May 28, 2018, 05:17:41 pm »
So how's that innovating in any way... People have been using brass wool for years. Is the innovation in wiping the tip with cloth after tinning? I must be missing something.
Facebook-free life and Rigol-free shack.

Offline MacMeter

• Frequent Contributor
« Reply #376 on: May 28, 2018, 05:23:30 pm »
So how's that innovating in any way... People have been using brass wool for years. Is the innovation in wiping the tip with cloth after tinning? I must be missing something.

The graphic text says it was a “SECRET” method.  :palm:

Offline Dyaxxis

• Contributor
« Reply #377 on: May 28, 2018, 10:19:18 pm »
The videos I posted earlier are NOT mine, but I do find them informative, even if not necessarily viable for everyone.

Now, I like the fact that the ADS200 unit and current tip line are an excellent value, however... I use special tip shapes in my current set that are similar to what is seen in Marc Seigel's Pace video and almost all of them are considerably more expensive than their conventional shaped counterparts. I hope that the AccuDrive special tips would be much cheaper than what's currently available for other irons, but I'll have to wait and see.

Regardless of price, I tried a similar method to what's in the John Gammel video and all of my tips have lasted almost twice as long than before, yet I been able to reduce my tip cleaning consumable use and costs significantly.

Just my experience.  8)
« Last Edit: May 28, 2018, 10:21:38 pm by Dyaxxis »

Online Bud

• Super Contributor
« Reply #378 on: May 28, 2018, 10:50:15 pm »
What exactly is informative in the above video? It shows a tip being wettened and then wiped with some sort of material that the blurry video does not allow to see what the wipe material may be made of. There is no brass wool in the video at all. Unless it was an April fool, i fail to see how one can find it a useful video.

Offline Dyaxxis

• Contributor
« Reply #379 on: May 28, 2018, 11:12:40 pm »
What exactly is informative in the above video? It shows a tip being wettened and then wiped with some sort of material that the blurry video does not allow to see what the wipe material may be made of. There is no brass wool in the video at all. Unless it was an April fool, i fail to see how one can find it a useful video.

It works well for myself a few others and if it doesn't for you so be it. End of story.

Online helius

• Super Contributor
« Reply #380 on: May 29, 2018, 12:38:13 am »
The material is a Kimwipe, based on my knowledge of IPC techniques (you can see it used in other videos).
It is recommended to wipe over an empty trash bin as solder may fall down.

The following users thanked this post: Dyaxxis

Offline Shock

• Super Contributor
« Reply #381 on: May 29, 2018, 02:30:59 am »
The material is a Kimwipe, based on my knowledge of IPC techniques (you can see it used in other videos).

Yeah you want to wipe off and away from the tip, same for brass wool. I believe he is just using a dry wipe in this case. I've cleaned cold tips with IPA but I'm not sure how wise it is to do with a hot tip.
Soldering/Rework: Pace ADS200, Pace MBT350
Multimeters: Fluke 189, 87V, 117, 112   >>> WANTED STUFF <<<
Oszilloskopen: Lecroy 9314, Phillips PM3065, Tektronix 2215a, 314

The following users thanked this post: Dyaxxis

Offline Elasia

• Frequent Contributor
« Reply #382 on: May 30, 2018, 11:10:33 pm »

Yeah you want to wipe off and away from the tip, same for brass wool. I believe he is just using a dry wipe in this case. I've cleaned cold tips with IPA but I'm not sure how wise it is to do with a hot tip.

It will auto ignite at around 400C ;)

Offline Dyaxxis

• Contributor
« Reply #383 on: June 02, 2018, 04:32:36 am »
I'm not too sure if Aaron from Pace would be able to confirm or not, but since I'm awaiting AccuDrive hot-tweezers and blue series special tips, I'm very curious if one of several future AccuDrive stations would be similar to the ST 115.

Offline wrinklehead

• Contributor
« Reply #384 on: June 07, 2018, 03:24:01 pm »
Has there been any movement in getting the various issues fixed.  I'm looking for a new soldering station and wondering if this is safe to order yet...

Offline Alex Eisenhut

• Super Contributor
  • Place text here.
« Reply #385 on: June 07, 2018, 09:44:22 pm »
Who knows? I put in an order two months ago with a local supplier and I still don't have anything. PACE hasn't been updating anything here.
Hoarder of 8-bit Commodore relics and 1960s Tektronix 500-series stuff. Unconventional interior decorator.

Offline Shock

• Super Contributor
« Reply #386 on: June 08, 2018, 04:28:07 pm »
Has there been any movement in getting the various issues fixed.  I'm looking for a new soldering station and wondering if this is safe to order yet...

When Tequipment has stock it's a good indicator the ball is rolling again. This second batch should have the first models coming with optional instant setback stands. Worth waiting for in my opinion.

Here is another picture to drool over in the meantime.

Offline EEVblog

• Administrator
    • EEVblog
« Reply #387 on: June 09, 2018, 09:50:46 am »
So I haven't really been following this saga. Did Pace ever say what the problem with the tips was and how they fixed it?

Offline Shock

• Super Contributor
« Reply #388 on: June 09, 2018, 11:37:44 am »
So I haven't really been following this saga. Did Pace ever say what the problem with the tips was and how they fixed it?

Mike from MikesRadioRepair purchased 11 tips with his station and 3 had probs. Pace identified that 2 were from a very early batch that had a known and resolved issue. The other tip had a heating capacity problem and they were going to do failure analysis on it. So it was more like 1 out of 11 tips had to be looked into.

It didn't seem to be the entire range or a design type prob since Mikes tips were replaced the next day. But no they havn't mentioned what it was, it doesn't look too serious though as his replacements seem to work fine.
« Last Edit: June 09, 2018, 11:41:35 am by Shock »

Offline labjr

• Frequent Contributor
« Reply #389 on: June 09, 2018, 01:20:36 pm »
Not sure about the tips but the Pace rep at Tequipment told me they made a change to the machining of the handpiece. Not sure why the long silence. Maybe they're taking the time to be positive that it's all corrected so they don't have any more issues with the roll-out.  The internet tends to be pretty ruthless when it comes to public relations.

Offline Elasia

• Frequent Contributor
« Reply #390 on: June 09, 2018, 09:12:54 pm »
Not sure about the tips but the Pace rep at Tequipment told me they made a change to the machining of the handpiece. Not sure why the long silence. Maybe they're taking the time to be positive that it's all corrected so they don't have any more issues with the roll-out.  The internet tends to be pretty ruthless when it comes to public relations.

Interesting... wonder if they will send me one once they get it rolling again.. although mine seems fine.  The rep happen to say what they changed with it?

Offline labjr

• Frequent Contributor
« Reply #391 on: June 10, 2018, 12:09:04 am »

Interesting... wonder if they will send me one once they get it rolling again.. although mine seems fine.  The rep happen to say what they changed with it?

He didn't say. When I asked why their was no ETA, he explained briefly that there were a few minor issues. The hand-piece being one of them. Also firmware changes to the base unit and a small percentage of early production tip cartridges which we already knew about. 

Offline hrbngr

• Contributor
« Reply #392 on: June 11, 2018, 08:26:49 pm »
So, of the issues I have read about the unit so far, there is the QC on the tips--something that they will probably "iron" out in the manufacturing process.

Secondly, the rubber O-ring/gasket that is friction fit inside the handpiece not staying in position, moving around, etc (first mentioned in post# 266 by Dolivas) -- are thing going to re-design this?

Finally, we have the firmware upgrade to lower the minimum temperatur as well as being able to buy the unit with the instant setback stand--that should just be a matter of time.  Is that about everything?

Offline labjr

• Frequent Contributor
« Reply #393 on: June 12, 2018, 01:44:31 am »
Perhaps the machining of the handpiece was tweaked because the o-ring seal? Of course I'm speculating.

I think the firmware also had a bug in where the setback function wasn't working properly.

Offline VK4GHZ

• Contributor
« Reply #394 on: June 14, 2018, 03:20:59 am »
This extended wait is a killer!

It would be nice if Aaron from Pace could update us.
(Can anyone local in the USA drop in and suggest that?)

But, I appreciate he may not want to get bogged down in answering endless questions on a forum like this, and he may have been directed from above to STFU until it's officially sorted and re-released.

Will have to look at alternatives soon.

Online Bud

• Super Contributor
« Reply #395 on: June 14, 2018, 03:25:16 am »
They are 4 months late. JBC must be laughing.

Offline Shock

• Super Contributor
« Reply #396 on: June 14, 2018, 05:10:07 am »

Oh look another potential Pace customer unhappy with JBC firmware, tips, design, reliability, price, marketing hype, customer service. :D

It's actually more like 6 weeks so far. In the USA they weren't going into large scale production and do the instant setback stand until April.

Offline Alex Eisenhut

• Super Contributor
  • Place text here.
« Reply #397 on: June 16, 2018, 07:10:28 pm »
A simple message like "we're redesigning X because we made a mistake" would be a lot better than silence.
Hoarder of 8-bit Commodore relics and 1960s Tektronix 500-series stuff. Unconventional interior decorator.

Online Bud

• Super Contributor
« Reply #398 on: June 17, 2018, 02:09:53 pm »

Oh look another potential Pace customer unhappy with JBC firmware, tips, design, reliability, price, marketing hype, customer service. :D

It's actually more like 6 weeks so far. In the USA they weren't going into large scale production and do the instant setback stand until April.

How is it 6 weeks when their ad was saying "available in March" ? We are at mid June today.

Offline Cliff MatthewsTopic starter

• Supporter
    • General Repair and Support
« Reply #399 on: June 17, 2018, 03:32:36 pm »
Maybe he's on early summer holidays? I'll shoot off an email , maybe we'll get better info.. Happy fathers day!!  :-+

FWIW, I too have been waiting to retire some old friends:

Share me

Digg  Facebook  SlashDot  Delicious  Technorati  Twitter  Google  Yahoo
Smf