Author Topic: Pace ADS200 soldering station  (Read 360835 times)

Offline PACE-Worldwide

• Regular Contributor
    • PACE Worldwide Website
Re: Newest Pace ADS200 station (tempting durability, and just over $200)
« Reply #725 on: September 13, 2018, 11:50:35 am »
Honestly i do not believe many distributors would enthusiastically open hundreds of boxes and change the firmware chips, unless they are maybe obligated to do so by contract with Pace.

Unfortunately, you are correct. But since these are simple tweaks to the firmware that enhance usability, it won't matter that much except to the most discerning customer. In any case, if a customer requests an update, they will receive the new set of chips.

Aaron

Offline glarsson

• Frequent Contributor
« Reply #726 on: September 13, 2018, 11:54:02 am »
Why not upgrade through the USB port?

Offline labjr

• Frequent Contributor
« Reply #727 on: September 13, 2018, 11:55:09 am »

I don't think it has a USB port.

Offline PACE-Worldwide

• Regular Contributor
    • PACE Worldwide Website
« Reply #728 on: September 13, 2018, 11:57:30 am »

I wish the ADS200 had a USB port! But it does not. You have to unscrew the front panel, remove a socketed PLCC chip, then replace with the new firmware chip. Yep, we acknowledge it's a hassle.

Aaron

The following users thanked this post: allan_wind

Offline glarsson

• Frequent Contributor
« Reply #729 on: September 13, 2018, 12:55:07 pm »
I know about the missing USB port. I just don't know why Pace is making it more difficult and expensive for itself. Firmware update by pulling chips, slotted screw and nut (not production friendly) to attach voltage regular to heatsink and so on. Weird.

Offline PACE-Worldwide

• Regular Contributor
    • PACE Worldwide Website
« Reply #730 on: September 13, 2018, 02:06:12 pm »
I know about the missing USB port. I just don't know why Pace is making it more difficult and expensive for itself. Firmware update by pulling chips, slotted screw and nut (not production friendly) to attach voltage regular to heatsink and so on. Weird.

Not weird at all. We were able to achieve the extremely low price point of the ADS200 by using the same basic pc board for multiple products, simply by adding or subtracting certain components. So this board is used in several other products such as our desoldering stations. It's a proven board design that has been ultra reliable since 2009. That's why there seems to be a huge amount of space on certain parts of the pcb. The extruded case is also used in multiple products. Adding new elements to the design (i.e. USB port) would add significant cost to the overall product, so we decided it was better (and far less costly to the customer) to go with the older design. Make sense?

Aaron

The following users thanked this post: allan_wind

Online Bud

• Super Contributor
« Reply #731 on: September 13, 2018, 02:09:23 pm »
Once the product matures , the usb port will not be needed. I never used USB on my JBC station since bought it maybe 3 of 4 years back. I do not think was any upgrade repeased which was worth doing it.
Facebook-free life and Rigol-free shack.

The following users thanked this post: PACE-Worldwide

Offline alank2

• Super Contributor
« Reply #732 on: September 13, 2018, 02:11:32 pm »
I agree; and as long as Pace is willing to send out a chip update at no charge I certainly don't mind changing it.

Offline glarsson

• Frequent Contributor
« Reply #733 on: September 13, 2018, 02:39:39 pm »
But what about the screw holding the heatsink? The cost of upgrading it to a more production friendly variant (e.g. Torx) would be low and would reduce production cost.

Offline PACE-Worldwide

• Regular Contributor
    • PACE Worldwide Website
« Reply #734 on: September 13, 2018, 02:54:04 pm »
But what about the screw holding the heatsink? The cost of upgrading it to a more production friendly variant (e.g. Torx) would be low and would reduce production cost.

I'll send the message to our Engineering.

Aaron

Offline asmi

• Super Contributor
« Reply #735 on: September 14, 2018, 03:54:33 pm »
I've order a unit for myself at TEquipment, but it's stuck somewhere in US due to the odd way they do shipping into Canada :(
Anyhow, it just occured to me - in case of any warranty issues, does anyone knows if PACE has any representation/service workshop in Canada, or stuff will have to be shipped into US should any problem appear? If the latter is the case, shipping costs of turnaround for a base unit due to weight will likely be a significant fraction of a unit retail price.

Offline labjr

• Frequent Contributor
« Reply #736 on: September 14, 2018, 03:58:41 pm »
I've order a unit for myself at TEquipment, but it's stuck somewhere in US due to the odd way they do shipping into Canada :(
Anyhow, it just occured to me - in case of any warranty issues, does anyone knows if PACE has any representation/service workshop in Canada, or stuff will have to be shipped into US should any problem appear? If the latter is the case, shipping costs of turnaround for a base unit due to weight will likely be a significant fraction of a unit retail price.

Maybe they would let you remove and send in the main board since there isn't much else to go wrong?

Offline PACE-Worldwide

• Regular Contributor
    • PACE Worldwide Website
« Reply #737 on: September 14, 2018, 04:17:36 pm »

Outside of the US, we sell and service through our local authorized distributors in that country. But since you are buying through Tequipment, a US company, it complicates it a bit because you have have to either deal directly with PACE or Tequipment in the States if there is a problem. It's easier to deal with Arbell or Accessotronik (our primary Canadian distributors) as they can easily replace items then get PACE to reimburse, than to deal long distance with a US company. But no distributor is going to want to support a customer who bought from his competitor. I realize that you may get a better deal by purchasing through a US distributor, but you do risk incurring those shipping costs and turn-around lead times if you decide to do so. On the bright side, it's rare that we have to fulfill warranty claims where we require the customer send back the product as this is time consuming and costly to both the customer and PACE.

Aaron

Offline asmi

• Super Contributor
« Reply #738 on: September 14, 2018, 04:38:56 pm »
Thanks for your quick response!
Outside of the US, we sell and service through our local authorized distributors in that country. But since you are buying through Tequipment, a US company, it complicates it a bit because you have have to either deal directly with PACE or Tequipment in the States if there is a problem. It's easier to deal with Arbell or Accessotronik (our primary Canadian distributors) as they can easily replace items then get PACE to reimburse, than to deal long distance with a US company. But no distributor is going to want to support a customer who bought from his competitor. I realize that you may get a better deal by purchasing through a US distributor, but you do risk incurring those shipping costs and turn-around lead times if you decide to do so.
Actually my decision to order at Tequipment didn't have anything to do with the price. I've checked both these distributors' websites, and the former one (Arbell) didn't seem to have ADS200 in stock, while the latter's website did not inspire much confidence (not working currency switch - I couldn't figure out if the price they are showing is in US or Canadian dollars), so TEQ was the only one that actually had a working website which they actually wanted their customers to use, had units in stock and shipping charges were not that large. I will admit that it was a bit of an impulse buy after my current soldering station called quits on me in the middle of the soldering - normally I'd called Accessotronik to sort out all questions (especially so since they seem to have a location in Toronto, which is about 1 hr drive away from me). Oh well, it's too late now - money are paid, the stuff is shipped and is stuck somewhere in IL for the last couple of days, but I hope it will make its way to me eventually.

On the bright side, it's rare that we have to fulfill warranty claims where we require the customer send back the product as this is time consuming and costly to both the customer and PACE.
Well I guess I will have to find out at my own expense if once-revered "Made in USA" quality is still worth anything nowadays ;)

Offline PACE-Worldwide

• Regular Contributor
    • PACE Worldwide Website
« Reply #739 on: September 14, 2018, 04:43:18 pm »
Thanks for your quick response!

Well I guess I will have to find out at my own expense if once-revered "Made in USA" quality is still worth anything nowadays ;)

We'll make it worth your while!

Aaron

The following users thanked this post: asmi

Online Bud

• Super Contributor
« Reply #740 on: September 14, 2018, 04:48:31 pm »
Accessotronic only has a guy in Toronto, not equipment stock. The warehouse is in Montreal i believe.
Facebook-free life and Rigol-free shack.

Offline asmi

• Super Contributor
« Reply #741 on: September 19, 2018, 01:58:36 am »
Finally received the unit and tips today. Didn't have time to give it a good run yet (just soldered few things mostly to see if it's working OK), but so far so good.
BUT - I wasn't impressed with the packaging. I don't know if it's PACE's fault, TEQ, Borderfree, or DHL, but the packaging leaves something to be desired. The main unit's bag was all torn apart and pieces of it were just dangling on the corners of unit, the tips (they were shipped in a separate box with just them and big airbags) were out of their plastic tubes and all over the box. I had to fish one of the tips from under the carton flap on the bottom of the box. After such treatment it was somewhat ironic to see that some of the tubes contained soft cushions seemingly to protect fine tips ;D

But to PACE's credit, despite some obviously brutal treatment the unit and tips received on their way to me everything seems to work great and the main unit looks undamaged! So hats off to PACE - that unit is built like a tank and acts like one too! :-+

I have one question though - I couldn't figure out what the stuff on attached photo is for. I tried to download the manual, but the link to user manual on your product page is broken and leads to nowhere (404). I've found a link to user manual in the quickstart guide, but there is nothing regarding these things. I know this is quite possibly a really dump question, or maybe my brain doesn't work well that late in the evening, but still I would like to know what it's for ::)

Offline PACE-Worldwide

• Regular Contributor
    • PACE Worldwide Website
« Reply #742 on: September 19, 2018, 02:26:38 am »
Finally received the unit and tips today. Didn't have time to give it a good run yet (just soldered few things mostly to see if it's working OK), but so far so good.
BUT - I wasn't impressed with the packaging. I don't know if it's PACE's fault, TEQ, Borderfree, or DHL, but the packaging leaves something to be desired. The main unit's bag was all torn apart and pieces of it were just dangling on the corners of unit, the tips (they were shipped in a separate box with just them and big airbags) were out of their plastic tubes and all over the box. I had to fish one of the tips from under the carton flap on the bottom of the box. After such treatment it was somewhat ironic to see that some of the tubes contained soft cushions seemingly to protect fine tips ;D

The Main Box with the unit is PACE's packaging so we take full responsibility the crappy packaging. But the box of tips is TEquipment's responsibility, as they pull the tips from stock and then box them up.

I have one question though - I couldn't figure out what the stuff on attached photo is for. I tried to download the manual, but the link to user manual on your product page is broken and leads to nowhere (404). I've found a link to user manual in the quickstart guide, but there is nothing regarding these things. through the holes and secured on the inside of the Stand with the thumb I know this is quite possibly a really dump question, or maybe my brain doesn't work well that late in the evening, but still I would like to know what it's for ::)

That set of hardware for attaching the provided Tip & Tool Stand to either side of the ADS200 Power Supply, and can also be used to mate multiple Tip & Tool Stands together. If you look on either side of the Tool Stand, you'll see 2 holes - the screws are inserted through the outside holes and secured with the plastic thumbscrews inside the Tool Stand (they should only be half-tightened at this point). The head of the screws are then slid from the back of the unit through the "T-Slot" Extrusions on either side of the Power Supply. Then the thumbscrews are fully tightened and voila, your Tool Stand is firmly connected to the Power Supply rather than free standing! Frankly, only about .05% of customers actually attach the Tool Stand to the side of the unit, as it's much more flexible to use them free-standing, but we include the hardware anyway, just in case.

Aaron

The following users thanked this post: Shock, Cliff Matthews, asmi

Offline asmi

• Super Contributor
« Reply #743 on: September 19, 2018, 02:49:28 am »
The Main Box with the unit is PACE's packaging so we take full responsibility the crappy packaging.
To be honest, the main unit looks like it doesn't need any bag around it as it's so durable :-+  I guess it just rubbed against holding carton pieces which did not hold the unit secure enough to withstand the rigors of shipping. I didn't find any damage, it just looked a bit like...what I expect a cheap-ass chinese soldering station to look like if you know what I mean. The power of first impression and all that ::)

That set of hardware for attaching the provided Tip & Tool Stand to either side of the ADS200 Power Supply, and can also be used to mate multiple Tip & Tool Stands together. If you look on either side of the Tool Stand, you'll see 2 holes - the screws are inserted through the outside holes and secured with the plastic thumbscrews inside the Tool Stand (they should only be half-tightened at this point). The head of the screws are then slid from the back of the unit through the "T-Slot" Extrusions on either side of the Power Supply. Then the thumbscrews are fully tightened and voila, your Tool Stand is firmly connected to the Power Supply rather than free standing! Frankly, only about .05% of customers actually attach the Tool Stand to the side of the unit, as it's much more flexible to use them free-standing, but we include the hardware anyway, just in case.
Thanks, you might want to add this information into user manual specifically for dumbasses like me ::) I actually do prefer it free-standing too due to the way things are laid out on my desk.
Last question - my work desk is somewhat crowded, so ISB cable goes near exhaust vent of desktop reflow oven which blows out hot air for a short time during cooldown phase of reflow profile. Is that cable temperature-resistant (like pencil's cable is), or I will need to rearrange my stuff somehow to make sure it doesn't get anywhere near where hot air can be?
« Last Edit: September 19, 2018, 02:54:12 am by asmi »

The following users thanked this post: Shock

Offline PACE-Worldwide

• Regular Contributor
    • PACE Worldwide Website
« Reply #744 on: September 19, 2018, 02:55:32 am »

Last question - my work desk is somewhat crowded, so ISB cable goes near exhaust vent of desktop reflow oven which blows out hot air for a short time during cooldown phase of reflow profile. Is that cable temperature-resistant (like pencil's cable is), or I will need to rearrange my stuff somehow to make sure it doesn't get anywhere near where hot air can be?

That's a great question! I have no idea but I'll test it out tomorrow when I get to PACE and get back to you. I really don't know.

Aaron

The following users thanked this post: asmi

Offline asmi

• Super Contributor
« Reply #745 on: September 19, 2018, 03:03:33 am »
That's a great question! I have no idea but I'll test it out tomorrow when I get to PACE and get back to you. I really don't know.

Aaron
Thank you very much for your prompt responses - I really appreciate this! This is very refreshing after dealing with manufacturers on the other side of the globe, with usual turnaround times of a day due to time zone difference! :-+

The following users thanked this post: Shock

Offline Shock

• Super Contributor
« Reply #746 on: September 19, 2018, 05:53:09 am »

Aaron
Thank you very much for your prompt responses - I really appreciate this! This is very refreshing after dealing with manufacturers on the other side of the globe, with usual turnaround times of a day due to time zone difference! :-+

What tips did you get Asmi?
Soldering/Rework: Pace ADS200, Pace MBT350
Multimeters: Fluke 189, 87V, 117, 112   >>> WANTED STUFF <<<
Oszilloskopen: Lecroy 9314, Phillips PM3065, Tektronix 2215a, 314

Offline asmi

• Super Contributor
« Reply #747 on: September 19, 2018, 12:49:10 pm »
What tips did you get Asmi?
1/128" Conical (0.20mm) - 1130-0036-P1
1/32" 30 Degree Chisel (0.80mm) - 1131-0012-P1
1/16" 30 Degree Chisel (1.59mm) - 1131-0019-P1
1/64" Conical Sharp Bent 30 Degree (0.40mm) - 1131-0003-P1
13/64" Chisel (5.15mm) - 1131-0010-P1

I do a lot of super fine components (like 0201, 0402 and DFN/QFN/QFP with 0.4 or 0.5 mm pitch), so most of these tips are quite fine.

Offline PACE-Worldwide

• Regular Contributor
    • PACE Worldwide Website
« Reply #748 on: September 19, 2018, 03:21:31 pm »

Aaron

Hi asmi,

I tested out the ISB Tool Stand cord this morning by applying the TD-200 Iron set at max temp (850°F/454°C) and touching the cord for 15 seconds. Yep, it's heat resistant and was not damaged in any way. According to our engineers, the wires are sheathed in the very same burn-proof ESD-safe silicone sleeves that we use on all our other handpieces.

By the way, concerning the fine point tips you use, you may want to try out our 1/128"/0.20mm Conical, Special Tip Heater Cartridge PN 1130-0050-P1:

www.paceworldwide.com/products/tips-and-nozzles/soldering-iron-tips/td200-standard-blue-series-tips/1128020mm-conical-special-tip-heater-cartridge

This tip is almost identical to the 1/128" Conical Tip Heater Cartridge PN 1130-0036-P1 you are using, but it has been slightly beveled on the working end so that it transfers heat better and was designed specifically for a hearing aid manufacturer for 0201 soldering. When you look at the photo, you really can't tell but that subtle modification makes a difference.

Aaron 

The following users thanked this post: Shock, asmi

Offline asmi

• Super Contributor
« Reply #749 on: September 19, 2018, 04:21:00 pm »
I tested out the ISB Tool Stand cord this morning by applying the TD-200 Iron set at max temp (850°F/454°C) and touching the cord for 15 seconds. Yep, it's heat resistant and was not damaged in any way. According to our engineers, the wires are sheathed in the very same burn-proof ESD-safe silicone sleeves that we use on all our other handpieces.
Thanks for the update! It's good to know!

By the way, concerning the fine point tips you use, you may want to try out our 1/128"/0.20mm Conical, Special Tip Heater Cartridge PN 1130-0050-P1:
I will look into this, but I think I will have to wait for these to show up in stock at your canadian distributors because paying 42 CAD for shipping of 15 CAD item don't seem sensible to me. And it's not currently in stock at TEQ anyway.

Share me

Digg  Facebook  SlashDot  Delicious  Technorati  Twitter  Google  Yahoo
Smf