Author Topic: Pace ADS200 soldering station  (Read 360741 times)

Offline knotlogic

• Regular Contributor
Re: Pace ADS200 soldering station
« Reply #1400 on: August 30, 2020, 11:09:35 am »
Also, on the topic of handpieces - I think a fair amount has been said about the short working distance of the ADS200 handpiece, and I was curious as to how it stacks up against my Metcal.  Surprisingly the Metcal still has a shorter tip to grip distance, but not by much.  The attached photo shows a MX-RM3E handpiece with a STTC-038 1.5mm chisel tip, and the difference in that photo is about 10mm.  And, that's before I encountered the CHP problem.  So the Pace tip should seat another ~4mm into the handpiece.

The Pace handpiece is still shorter though (although you could argue that's down to the cable relief), you get 120W of power compared to the 40W of the Metcal, and the ability to set any temperature you want.  And given the difference in working distance is only 6mm, I doubt that's really noticeable.

I still say Metcal MX-H1-AV is the best handle, its lighter, softer grip, and has less flex, but can rotate due to no tab (Pace will not rotate). Of course more expensive too.

I should note that I've never had any issues with tip rotation on my Metcal.  I think you'd need to be putting quite a bit of force on it for that to happen.

One interesting thing that I haven't seen mentioned (or I've missed it) is that the 3 depressions(?), grips(?), on the ADS200 handpiece aren't spaced equally apart.  Fitting the angled miniwave tip in , it's obvious that they designed it to have thumb and forefinger in the two placed closest together.  But when using other straight tips, this isn't obvious.

Edit: Typo
« Last Edit: August 31, 2020, 10:54:51 am by knotlogic »

The following users thanked this post: thm_w, helius

Offline thm_w

• Super Contributor
  • Non-expert
« Reply #1401 on: September 01, 2020, 05:30:30 pm »
Also, on the topic of handpieces - I think a fair amount has been said about the short working distance of the ADS200 handpiece, and I was curious as to how it stacks up against my Metcal.  Surprisingly the Metcal still has a shorter tip to grip distance, but not by much.  The attached photo shows a MX-RM3E handpiece with a STTC-038 1.5mm chisel tip, and the difference in that photo is about 10mm.  And, that's before I encountered the CHP problem.  So the Pace tip should seat another ~4mm into the handpiece.

Yes I measure ~42mm from end of metal grip to tip of iron for ads200, vs 35mm on the older metcal. So about 6-7mm.
MX-H1-AV handle is even shorter still at 32mm.

As you point out, 120W vs 40W, so that is going to be much tougher to have the tip that close when its producing more waste heat.

I should note that I've never had any issues with tip rotation on my Metcal.  I think you'd need to be putting quite a bit of force on it for that to happen.

Its not an issue unless you are really pushing on it yes, or using something like a bent conical, where the force is magnified as its off center.

One interesting thing that I haven't seen mentioned (or I've missed it) is that the 3 depressions(?), grips(?), on the ADS200 handpiece aren't spaced equally apart.  Fitting the angled miniwave tip in , it's obvious that they designed it to have thumb and forefinger in the two placed closest together.  But when using other straight tips, this isn't obvious.

Good to see that the did consider the rotational position of the tips in the design. The rubber is too hard though IMO.
« Last Edit: September 01, 2020, 05:34:42 pm by thm_w »
Profile -> Modify profile -> Look and Layout ->  Don't show users' signatures

Offline labjr

• Frequent Contributor
« Reply #1402 on: September 01, 2020, 06:37:09 pm »
I may be different than everyone else, but I don't need the shortest tip to grip distance. I actually prefer it to be longer sometimes. Especially when I'm working on point to point wired tube amps because there's no place to rest my hand while soldering. I also like the thicker spongy grip on my old Weller.

Offline Shock

• Super Contributor
« Reply #1403 on: October 04, 2020, 09:54:35 am »
Just noticed this on Paces website looks like the Accudrive series version of the MBT 350 3 channel station is coming.

• MBT 450 Multi-Channel Soldering & Rework System (available early next year)

Soldering/Rework: Pace ADS200, Pace MBT350
Multimeters: Fluke 189, 87V, 117, 112   >>> WANTED STUFF <<<
Oszilloskopen: Lecroy 9314, Phillips PM3065, Tektronix 2215a, 314

The following users thanked this post: tooki

Offline mcconkeyb

• Contributor
« Reply #1404 on: October 31, 2020, 06:31:52 am »
Hello Pace Owners,
My 1 year old ADS200 has been working great, but I've noticed an random intermittent fault. The problem has occured 3 times during the past 5 months.

The problem is that when the station is turned on, the LED display is all screwed up. It displays random segments and while it changes you can tell that the processor is trying to display the correct information the LED segments that are lit, are quite random. Then after the station has been on for a while, a few seconds to few minutes, the display seems to 'smarten' up and displays the correct information. Turning the station off and then on, while it is in crazy display mode, does not fix the problem, but turning the station off and then on after it has fixed itself leads to normal behavior. I'm concerned as yesterday's display failure took several minutes to return to normal.

I'm wondering if anyone else has seen or heard of this problem, and if anyone knows what causes the problem? Now that the unit is just over the 1 year warranty, I'm wondering how much of a pain its going to be to track down this problem and then solve it?

Offline Shock

• Super Contributor
« Reply #1405 on: October 31, 2020, 08:47:19 am »
I'd contact Pace first, but one easy thing to try is disconnecting the mains and removing and reseating the socketed IC. It's possibly heat related, intermittent and once it warms makes better contact. Observe ESD safety and the IC orientation, if you have magnification you could inspect the PCB, IC and socket for anything obvious.
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/IC_extractor

I assume you are on firmware 1.4? Another thing I'd try at some point is take note of any settings you had then change all the config so it's overwritten (in case of corruption). Low chance of it being software but easy fix.

By holding the program key when powering on, I think the station pauses on the firmware version, this may aid in isolating the problem. If I get weird power on problems with anything I usually check power cables, ensure it's plugged into outlet properly, try a different outlet and check for EMI causes etc.

Here is a schematic that Mbless kindly reverse engineered, the good news is the circuit is fairly simple and repairable. Everyone's skill level is different so just don't try anything you not confidant in.

The following users thanked this post: mcconkeyb

Offline mcconkeyb

• Contributor
« Reply #1406 on: October 31, 2020, 09:15:41 am »
Thanks Shock, some good information here!

Yes, Firmware 1.4.

I've been looking for a service manual for the ADS 200, but I haven't found anything. This reverse engineered schematic is very helpful. I'll be keeping my eye on this, but today the thing works normally. These intermittent problems are some of the hardest to debug.
« Last Edit: October 31, 2020, 09:25:20 am by mcconkeyb »

Offline tooki

• Super Contributor
« Reply #1407 on: October 31, 2020, 12:04:54 pm »
Still, contact Pace. It’s always possible that it’s a failure mode they have encountered before and know exactly how to resolve.

Offline mcconkeyb

• Contributor
« Reply #1408 on: November 19, 2020, 01:45:40 am »
I've contacted PACE and they are just as confused by this as I am. Now I have to decide if I'm going to send it in for evaluation. This likely means putting all soldering projects on hold for a couple of months while it ships there is looked at and then ships back (through the busy Christmas shipping season). Does anyone have international warranty return stories they would like to share?

Online VEGETA

• Super Contributor
  • I am the cult of personality
    • Thundertronics
« Reply #1409 on: November 19, 2020, 09:46:10 am »
Hi,

I have this as my soldering station and it is good enough: https://www.banggood.com/YIHUA-908D-220V-60W-LED-Digital-Display-Soldering-Station-Soldering-Iron-Kit-Upgraded-Version-p-1059873.html?cur_warehouse=CN

I had a Hakko 888D as a gift which is still inside the box unused... as request from me.

However, what does this 280$ station has that the 888D doesn't? like THE features which makes it objectively better for hobbyists and day-to-day usage engineers in their bedroom like me.

thanks

Offline Cliff MatthewsTopic starter

• Supporter
    • General Repair and Support
« Reply #1410 on: November 19, 2020, 12:41:51 pm »
Simple, this is not a bedroom soldering iron. It's a bit overkill for that. It's a production station competing with JBC, Metcal, Ersa, the Hako FX-951, the QUICK TS1200A, and the best offerings from Weller. PACE tips are also hot swappable and quite durable. Even the buttons on the control unit are silicon and can be pressed with the hot tip (in case you can't put your work down).

The product you linked has a ceramic heater, half the power, and cannot sense temperature variations at the tip fast enough to be considered competition at this level.

Offline alank2

• Super Contributor
« Reply #1411 on: November 19, 2020, 03:30:28 pm »
I had a WES51 which is still a great iron, but wanted something a little more.  I tried the Hakko 888D, but I was disappointed in it as I didn't think it did as well as the WES51 I was using.  The Pace ADS200 on the other hand has been a step up and has done everything I've wanted it to.

Offline thm_w

• Super Contributor
  • Non-expert
« Reply #1412 on: November 19, 2020, 09:42:35 pm »
I've contacted PACE and they are just as confused by this as I am. Now I have to decide if I'm going to send it in for evaluation. This likely means putting all soldering projects on hold for a couple of months while it ships there is looked at and then ships back (through the busy Christmas shipping season). Does anyone have international warranty return stories they would like to share?

Shipping from Canada to US could take a while, unless you're want to pay ~$30-40 for courier. I would ask them if they are willing to provide a replacement in advance, and once you receive it you'll send yours in. But they may not have any on hand, or go for it.

Profile -> Modify profile -> Look and Layout ->  Don't show users' signatures

Offline labjr

• Frequent Contributor
« Reply #1413 on: November 19, 2020, 10:05:20 pm »
Maybe just send in the control board.

Offline mcconkeyb

• Contributor
« Reply #1414 on: November 20, 2020, 01:29:17 am »
I've been asking the PACE support team a bunch of questions and they had been answering them with next day promptness. But I may have over asked, as the past set of questions have gone unanswered for a couple of days... :(

Offline tooki

• Super Contributor
« Reply #1415 on: November 21, 2020, 10:11:08 pm »
I've been asking the PACE support team a bunch of questions and they had been answering them with next day promptness. But I may have over asked, as the past set of questions have gone unanswered for a couple of days... :(
Or maybe they’re talking to engineering to figure out the problem?

Offline tooki

• Super Contributor
« Reply #1416 on: November 21, 2020, 10:15:51 pm »
Hi,

I have this as my soldering station and it is good enough: https://www.banggood.com/YIHUA-908D-220V-60W-LED-Digital-Display-Soldering-Station-Soldering-Iron-Kit-Upgraded-Version-p-1059873.html?cur_warehouse=CN

I had a Hakko 888D as a gift which is still inside the box unused... as request from me.

However, what does this 280$ station has that the 888D doesn't? like THE features which makes it objectively better for hobbyists and day-to-day usage engineers in their bedroom like me.

thanks
That is a more general question really unsuited to the model-specific discussion that this thread is.

In a nutshell, though, in soldering irons, it’s not so much about features as it is about performance and quality. A professional iron can pump in far more heat than a cheap one, all while maintaining tight temperature control. This means demanding joints (like those of a very typical modern multilayer PCB) can still be soldered quickly and without causing damage to the board or components.

But again, that’s not specific to the ADS200, it’s how any high quality station will perform.

The following users thanked this post: Shock

Offline Shock

• Super Contributor
« Reply #1417 on: December 31, 2020, 09:14:11 am »
Tequipment.net should have the instant setback version for about $263 shipped for those interested (apply eevblog 6% discount). It's about $40 off all up.

The following users thanked this post: LoneWolf

Offline LoneWolf

• Contributor
« Reply #1418 on: December 31, 2020, 10:24:50 am »
Tequipment.net should have the instant setback version for about $263 shipped for those interested (apply eevblog 6% discount). It's about $40 off all up.

Im very interested in buying ads200 with setback stand but I have heard that theres a problem with the stand pulling out tips( if they're the High performance tips especially) So my question is has this problem been addressed & if not is there anything that can be done?

(Forum members reading this maybe you guys can also give me some input? )

Offline Shock

• Super Contributor
« Reply #1419 on: December 31, 2020, 11:21:28 am »
I admit I don't leave a lot of the really large tips on the handpieces but last time I tried you can still put in large removal tip and stick it back into the stand. To my knowledge it's never pulled a tip out, including an ultra performance tip unless you leave a huge one in and forget to pull and lift, same goes for any station.

Pace actually does this better than other brands, I think Hakko you can't leave the big ones on and JBC has space issues when you remove the tip, Metcal is not entirely dissimilar from Paces system.

The other thing that could be occurring is if the user has not inserted the tip properly or opened their handpiece up and removed the rubber oring. It grips the cartridge body and holds it in snug, so you would feel if you were pulling the tips out under normal conditions. Super easy and cheap to replace, they cost about a buck each but a good system as it takes a lot of insertion wear.

« Last Edit: December 31, 2020, 11:43:31 am by Shock »

Offline 2N3055

• Super Contributor
« Reply #1420 on: December 31, 2020, 11:29:33 am »
I have it happening only with huge 5 mm tips, and I find it to be deficiency of tips, because they left back of the tip with sharp edge that catches on. If they would slightly bevel the back of the tip, it would simply slide out like the rest. It depends on angle too, so if you set it in a right place it's fine.
The fist and the last one here on photo.. You'll see what I mean...

Offline TheAmmoniacal

• Supporter
« Reply #1421 on: December 31, 2020, 11:38:52 am »
The PACE ADS200 is $485 USD here from Farnell, and that's the cheapest option with the regular tool stand (without ISB).  :-DD

The following users thanked this post: tooki

Offline Shock

• Super Contributor
« Reply #1422 on: December 31, 2020, 12:06:27 pm »
The PACE ADS200 is $485 USD here from Farnell, and that's the cheapest option with the regular tool stand (without ISB).

Farnell UK shows £227 for me so that is $310 USD for the ISB model (VAT and shipping extra). Welectron shows  €325 with VAT for the ISB model so thats $398 USD (free shipping to some places). Not an amazing price but not the worst it could be.

Offline LoneWolf

• Contributor
« Reply #1423 on: December 31, 2020, 12:34:30 pm »
The PACE ADS200 is $485 USD here from Farnell, and that's the cheapest option with the regular tool stand (without ISB).

Farnell UK shows £227 for me so that is $310 USD for the ISB model (VAT and shipping extra). Welectron shows  €325 with VAT for the ISB model so thats $398 USD (free shipping to some places). Not an amazing price but not the worst it could be.

Thanks for your help,I have another question,I noticed that Pace also sells tweezers for ads200,I am kinda new to soldering,so will I ever NEED hot tweezers in your opinion,or is hot air capable of everything tweezers can do(even if not as great)? And do I even need hot air as opposed to just using a soldering iron on everything?  I will be using the station to repair electronics of all types, musical equipment,& building things with it like amplifiers,3d printers etc.(I don't own a business though I just plan on using the equipment moderately)
« Last Edit: December 31, 2020, 12:41:54 pm by LoneWolf »

Offline TheAmmoniacal

• Supporter
« Reply #1424 on: December 31, 2020, 12:57:29 pm »
In my experience you can do everything with hot air that tweezers are supposed to do, but it takes some skill to avoid desoldering and blowing away nearby components. Especially when working with SMDs.

My trick is to add a good amount of 60/40 to the joints first in order to lower the melting point if this solder relative to the rest, then mask as much as possible with kapton tape.

Also good tweezers is a must.

Share me

Digg  Facebook  SlashDot  Delicious  Technorati  Twitter  Google  Yahoo
Smf