Products > Other Equipment & Products

Opinion for solder/desoldering hot air pencil PACE TJ-85 Thermojet (IntelliHeat)

(1/2) > >>

leftek:
Hello everybody,

I am consider to buy the hot air pencil PACE TJ-85 Thermojet (IntelliHeat) for SMD components. I will use it with my ST115 base and my needs is from small up to (rarely) 14pin IC SMD.

Have anybody try this pencil in order to share his opinion? It's worth this or suggest another tool?

thm_w:
Do you have an 858D? I would just use that instead, unless you are doing specific precise rework.

https://www.eevblog.com/forum/repair/curious-case-of-pace-tj-70/

Shock:
I chose the TJ70 over the TJ85, the difference are the TJ70 has an airflow button and I felt it had better selection of tips. The TJ85 is a slimmer tool but requires the foot pedal to actuate the air. The TJ70 can still utilize the foot pedal but it's optional. It also looks easier to make custom tips for.

As thm_w mentioned they are a precision tool, so not for removing large bga or quad packages. In some situations you should use underside preheating at the same time, but this applies to hot air rework in general. If you want more general preheating you can also use them with the tips removed.

Here is my TJ70 with the full set of tips, these are about 1-2mm where as the most of the larger hot air stations start at about 3mm. You can use them for all sorts of things. Flow soldering, shrink, curing, pad repair and misc track work.

leftek:

--- Quote from: Shock on August 05, 2021, 01:05:56 am ---As thm_w mentioned they are a precision tool, so not for removing large bga or quad packages.

--- End quote ---

For example, can you handle (removing) SOIC 14 packages easy?

--- Quote ---these are about 1-2mm where as the most of the larger hot air stations start at about 3mm
--- End quote ---

This is advantage or disadvantage? This seem as reduced power against others or not?

Shock:
The Pace Thermojets can desolder small packages for removal under the right conditions. The smaller nozzles advantage is localized heating for fine work but aren't suitable for covering larger areas desoldering. When soldering however, larger packages (dual and quad) don't need simultaneous reflow on all pins at once.

The Pace TJ70 flat tips are about 7x2mm and 6x2mm. The Pace TJ85 flat tip about 6mm x 2mm so those would be more suitable for desoldering SOIC14 as you get close to row coverage. The TJ70 dual nozzle (1121-0330-P1) has a 4.3mm offset so good spacing for soldering a SOIC14.

Ideal technique is to soak the pcb gently with hot air or underside preheating to reduce the delta temp (target temp difference), then bring it up to simultaneous melt with the tool. Using flux or a low temp alloy like chipquik will also help with desoldering.

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

There was an error while thanking
Thanking...
Go to full version