Author Topic: Oscilloscope Parameters  (Read 3325 times)

Offline olsennTopic starter

• Frequent Contributor
Oscilloscope Parameters
« on: February 03, 2012, 06:59:42 pm »
My question for you today is how important are things like screen update rate and memory depth? I currently own a Rigol DS1102E (100MHz) and am thinking of buying a Rigol DS4000 or DS6000 series scope (hopfully 500MHz) but I notice that even the 100MHz version of the DS4000-series scope is 4 times the price of the DS1102E... can anyone tell me if (in your opinion) the extra features like memory depth and screen update rate are worth the extra money?

Offline wkb

• Frequent Contributor
Re: Oscilloscope Parameters
« Reply #1 on: February 03, 2012, 08:00:58 pm »
Basically the only one who can answer these questions is you.  What do you want to measure determines what instrument you need.

If you are doing (say) audio stuff the Rigol you have is already overkill.  If you want to design GHz circuits obviously the Rigol is
not suitable.

Offline saturation

• Super Contributor
  • Doveryai, no proveryai
    • NIST
« Reply #2 on: February 03, 2012, 08:01:45 pm »
Dave discussed the value of memory depth and update rate in the video review of the Agilent Infinivision scopes, back when they were first introduced.
« Last Edit: February 03, 2012, 10:47:57 pm by saturation »
Best Wishes,

Saturation

Online Mechatrommer

• Super Contributor
  • reassessing directives...
« Reply #3 on: February 03, 2012, 08:04:17 pm »
even the 100MHz version of the DS4000-series scope is 4 times the price of the DS1102E... can anyone tell me if (in your opinion) the extra features like memory depth and screen update rate are worth the extra money?
it will give you extravanganza... ego ;)
Nature: Evolution and the Illusion of Randomness (Stephen L. Talbott): Its now indisputable that... organisms “expertise” contextualizes its genome, and its nonsense to say that these powers are under the control of the genome being contextualized - Barbara McClintock

Share me

Digg  Facebook  SlashDot  Delicious  Technorati  Twitter  Google  Yahoo
Smf