Author Topic: Pace MBT 350 Solder Desolder Rework System  (Read 5423 times)

Online ShockTopic starter

• Super Contributor
Pace MBT 350 Solder Desolder Rework System
« on: August 19, 2018, 05:41:27 pm »
Thought I'd show my new Pace MBT 350. Finally after much deliberation upgraded the last of my soldering gear now so can ditch an assortment of old Weller, Hakko and chinesium stations and irons. I've ended up culling half a dozen pieces of gear from the heard.

The MBT 350 model I have comes with:
TD-100a Soldering iron
MT-100 MiniTweez Tweezers
SX-100 Sodr-X-Tractor Desoldering iron

This Pace MBT 350 rework station along with my two new Pace ADS 200 stations should see me through the most difficult battles. I'm OCD when it comes to putting gear within easy reach and I've been for weeks organizing things around my workbenches so it starts with removing the old rats nest I have accumulated at the back of the bench.

I prefer the Pace aluminum irons now over the plastic irons, cool and comfortable to use with no sponge adding unnecessary bulk. While working I'm keeping the iron in my hand longer so there is obviously a dexterity bonus in there somewhere. This silver TD-100A aluminum iron is compatible with several different existing Pace stations and the range of 140 or so low cost tips. Who knows there might be a run on old 120V Pace stations on Ebay, is good for giving an existing station a new lease of life I think.

I'll be adding a couple of additional headpieces and may eventually pick up another single channel station myself and move the TD-100A iron across. However, at the moment it's tasked with SMD removal so stays where it is. Anyway going to have a plenty to play with and will add some more images as I have time.

« Last Edit: August 19, 2018, 05:51:39 pm by Shock »
Soldering/Rework: Pace ADS200, Pace MBT350
Multimeters: Fluke 189, 87V, 117, 112   >>> WANTED STUFF <<<
Oszilloskopen: Lecroy 9314, Phillips PM3065, Tektronix 2215a, 314

• Super Contributor
Re: Pace MBT 350 Solder Desolder Rework System
« Reply #1 on: August 19, 2018, 05:43:34 pm »
Some more images.

Offline PA0PBZ

• Super Contributor
« Reply #2 on: August 19, 2018, 06:39:42 pm »
Did you find a way to quickly disable a channel? I'm not using the tweezers a lot so I'd rather have them switched off but can't find a quick way, and when you pull the plug the MBT keeps complaining.
Keyboard error: Press F1 to continue.

• Super Contributor
« Reply #3 on: August 19, 2018, 07:20:24 pm »
Did you find a way to quickly disable a channel? I'm not using the tweezers a lot so I'd rather have them switched off but can't find a quick way, and when you pull the plug the MBT keeps complaining.

I just switched to the channel and held down the down arrow and it turns off (and the tips are in and cold). Did you just buy one? I've not even gone through the manual yet ;D.
« Last Edit: August 19, 2018, 07:22:38 pm by Shock »

Offline PA0PBZ

• Super Contributor
« Reply #4 on: August 19, 2018, 07:22:34 pm »
I've had one for a while but I don't like changing the temp setting, I just want to turn off/on a channel. Oh well, not such a big deal I guess.
Keyboard error: Press F1 to continue.

• Super Contributor
« Reply #5 on: August 19, 2018, 07:50:04 pm »
I've had one for a while but I don't like changing the temp setting, I just want to turn off/on a channel. Oh well, not such a big deal I guess.

How about setback or auto off?  Auto off seems to indicate it works by channel as well, I know it might not be instantaneous but the next best thing. I'll have a play anyway and let you know.

The other option is using a spare instant setback port if you have one. I connected my TD-100A stand to the port and it triggered the tweezer channel. You would have to DIY it as the tweezer stand was not designed for instant setback but this would make it less painful.

Pace are apparently working on a new instant setback tweezer stand for the ADS 200 tweezers. So will be interesting to see how they do it.
« Last Edit: August 19, 2018, 08:25:05 pm by Shock »

Offline PartialDischarge

• Super Contributor
« Reply #6 on: August 22, 2018, 06:03:29 am »
The MT100 tweezers look great, what would be the smallest Pace station that could power that one? I'm looking for this kind of item but don't need the rest channels...

• Super Contributor
« Reply #7 on: August 22, 2018, 11:08:49 am »
According to the manual there is two versions of the handpeice one is a Heatwise/Tempwise version (red connector) and uses the Heatwise/Tempwise stations.

The other which is the version I have is for Intelliheat stations (blue connector) and compatible with various ST series (ST 30, ST 50, ST 70) and MBT series multichannel stations. The standard tips for the MT-100 are parts 1124-1001-P1 through 1124-1011-P1. The Intelliheat WJS 100 is an extra high power station which also can use the MT-100 and takes instead gold series tips which are parts 1128-1001-P1 through 1128-1011-P1.

You can mix and match so Pace sells the stations separately, the MT-100 tweezers come by themselves or as a kit with the stand.

List of current soldering stations
List of MT-100 tips
Product overview.

The following users thanked this post: PartialDischarge

• Super Contributor
« Reply #8 on: August 22, 2018, 12:22:38 pm »
Now that I have said that... Pace also have the ADS 200 station which is up to 120W power and successor to the ST and WJS 100 stations. It has many benefits over those stations such as price, power and accuracy. Pace will be releasing a new tweezer for the ADS 200 in upcoming months (its been in development for some time) and follow that with an instant setback stand.

As I have a couple of workbenches doubling down on tweezers actually makes my life a little easier, I'll probably pick up a pair of the new tweezers for an ADS 200 once they are out.

I've found the MT-100 is comfortable and super easy to change tips, as Pace cartridges are keyed you always know they are inserted properly and with the correct orientation. Takes about 10 seconds to change tips, these are 1124-1001-P1 which is 0.2mm (.008").

This tip is killer, I love it. I'm only just trying it out for the first time now.

« Last Edit: August 22, 2018, 12:38:21 pm by Shock »

Offline Dave Hedgehog

« Reply #9 on: August 28, 2018, 08:08:31 pm »
I've used one of these MBT350s daily for about 6 years, we have 8 of them at work. They're used heavily - 300-800 desoldered + resolder joints per day in fairly beefy 6-8 layer boards .

My experience:
Soldering iron is great, never had any issues. Almost exclusively use the chisel tip (9/32"?) - best iron I've ever used. I use OKI/Metcal at home (castoff from work) and they really feel like slumming it in comparison.

Desoldering gun - Overall great.
The front seals wear out every 2-3 months (where the nozzle pokes through). They used to last years until Pace changed the design of the tips.
Forget about using the Visifilters, just bypass that unit completely - The plastic housing wears out quickly, doesn't seal properly and you lose a lot of vacuum. With our use (conformally coated boards) the filters need daily replacement at approx £0.50p each and cause constant problems.
Occasionally (every 6-8 weeks) the vacuum pump itself gets slightly clogged. Flush it clean by sucking up a small amount of IPA or Ultrasolve and it's good as new. Pump rebuild kits are £29 and take approx 15 minutes to fit - I'm on my third set - the piston rings wear and the check valve rubber begins to warp.

My tweezers are the older design, and used less often, Maybe to remove 40 PLCC LEDs every day. My tweezer tips are three years old +

The following users thanked this post: sotos, KL27x

• Super Contributor
« Reply #10 on: August 29, 2018, 07:22:19 pm »
Soldering iron is great, never had any issues. Almost exclusively use the chisel tip (9/32"?) - best iron I've ever used. I use OKI/Metcal at home (castoff from work) and they really feel like slumming it in comparison.

That 9/32 chisel tip is quite large, 7.14mm. Did you mean that or the 3/32 which is 2.38mm? I've got both but I use the 3/32 for most through hole soldering. At work do you each get to use the same station day in day out?

Desoldering gun - Overall great.
The front seals wear out every 2-3 months (where the nozzle pokes through). They used to last years until Pace changed the design of the tips.
Forget about using the Visifilters, just bypass that unit completely - The plastic housing wears out quickly, doesn't seal properly and you lose a lot of vacuum. With our use (conformally coated boards) the filters need daily replacement at approx £0.50p each and cause constant problems.
Occasionally (every 6-8 weeks) the vacuum pump itself gets slightly clogged. Flush it clean by sucking up a small amount of IPA or Ultrasolve and it's good as new. Pump rebuild kits are £29 and take approx 15 minutes to fit - I'm on my third set - the piston rings wear and the check valve rubber begins to warp.

I used to work on automotive/marine gear in the past as well. I don't think you can get around the conformal coating clogging filters unless you use a rotary tool then flush it away to reduce the effect. Then you slow down and it's a time versus money thing. It used to be quite lucrative when I was doing that, at one stage $7 a minute if I ripped through the easy repairs as fast as possible ;D.

I have some extra front seals so I should be right for a while, my station will probably see a lot less action than yours, but I'll keep it in mind.

My tweezers are the older design, and used less often, Maybe to remove 40 PLCC LEDs every day. My tweezer tips are three years old +

The TT-65 Thermal Tweezer? I was thinking about getting a pair of those. They have some chunky tips that I could find a use for plus I do some vintage work so the various PLCC SOIC tips would come in handy for fast and clean removals. Found the video manual series for them, never seen so many woman turn up to training at once heheh.

« Last Edit: August 29, 2018, 07:28:01 pm by Shock »

Offline Dave Hedgehog

« Reply #11 on: August 30, 2018, 08:14:33 pm »
That 9/32 chisel tip is quite large, 7.14mm. Did you mean that or the 3/32 which is 2.38mm? I've got both but I use the 3/32 for most through hole soldering. At work do you each get to use the same station day in day out?

Yeah, correct - 3/32 chisel tip. Apologies, I wasn't paying attention and I don't speak imperial fluently enough to notice the mistake.

We use the same station every day - Nobody is in any way gentle with them, I'm probably the most careful.

I used to work on automotive/marine gear in the past as well. I don't think you can get around the conformal coating clogging filters unless you use a rotary tool then flush it away to reduce the effect. Then you slow down and it's a time versus money thing. It used to be quite lucrative when I was doing that, at one stage $7 a minute if I ripped through the easy repairs as fast as possible ;D.
Quite lucrative for my employers, but not so much for me. We have apprentices and a technician for straightforward stuff,  I end up stuck with the oddball work or  headscratchers, but even so there's usually ~200 pins to desolder to remove the connectors before I can get at the PCB.

On inspection my tweezers are the same as yours, but with blue plastic handles instead of black.

One thing I forgot to mention is don't be afraid to crank the temperature of the desolder gun up. I spoke to the Pace rep a few years ago and he recommended this, he said 400c is not really uncommon. - After this I raised my "default" temp from 350 to 380 and had much improved results. For certain ECUs I'll even go as far as 430c and a preheated board for a few stubborn joints that have no thermal relief around the pad.
Tip life isn't as good as it used to be, but my most commonly used tip (1121-0931-P5 - 1mm) still lasts a month or so. At £13 a piece they're not cheap, but the shorter tip life more than pays for itself in faster workflow and less clogging.

• Super Contributor
« Reply #12 on: August 31, 2018, 06:43:05 am »
We use the same station every day - Nobody is in any way gentle with them, I'm probably the most careful.

Quite lucrative for my employers, but not so much for me. We have apprentices and a technician for straightforward stuff,  I end up stuck with the oddball work or  headscratchers, but even so there's usually ~200 pins to desolder to remove the connectors before I can get at the PCB.

Have always done a few home jobs after hours, just tried to avoid conflicts of interest. I enjoy though easy repetitive work, you can zone out and makes the day go a bit faster.

Small price to pay compared to a hand solder sucker. If I was doing 200 tight interconnecting pins all manually I think I'd be suicidal by lunchtime :D.

One thing I forgot to mention is don't be afraid to crank the temperature of the desolder gun up. I spoke to the Pace rep a few years ago and he recommended this, he said 400c is not really uncommon. - After this I raised my "default" temp from 350 to 380 and had much improved results. For certain ECUs I'll even go as far as 430c and a preheated board for a few stubborn joints that have no thermal relief around the pad.

Thanks, hopefully won't run into too many problems. Not afraid to turn it up and give it a few good seconds. I do all the usual tricks like re-soldering, adding flux and using two irons for difficult through hole, chopping out the component and pointing hot air preheating in one spot helps as well when I can't move the PCB.

I don't believe there is any difference between the green and blue handle MT-100 mini tweezers at least not from what I could find. What tweezers tips cartridges have you tried so far? Got any favorites?

• Super Contributor
« Reply #13 on: November 29, 2019, 11:31:33 am »
Thought I'd show some additional photos with the two extra handpieces I have for the MBT350 while they were in their virginal state.

The TJ-70 ThermoJet which is a hand or pedal actuated hot air handpiece, this is more of a precision soldering tool than the heat gun variety and it comes with single, dual, flat and curved nozzles. All the single nozzles suit rework plus conformal coating and track repair. The dual nozzles are designed for fast DIP soldering and reflow. The tip shown is the 1.5mm/0.060" (internal diameter) nozzle 1121-0338-P1.

The TT-65 ThermoTweez which as the name implies is a tweezer handpiece, it supports a variety of tips and removal of SOIC, SOJ, SIMM, LCC/LCCC, PLCC, PQFP packages and general SMD components. I think that is the 1121-0417-P1 set of tips installed.

There are various Pace ST, MBT and PRC stations with a built in pump for vacuum desoldering, suction removal and air tools such as these. Pace also does a SMD pick and place tool the PV-65 Pik-Vac which is part 7027-0001-P1. The last image at the end shows the TJ-70 nozzles in the rack.

« Last Edit: June 27, 2021, 12:07:43 pm by Shock »

Share me

Digg  Facebook  SlashDot  Delicious  Technorati  Twitter  Google  Yahoo
Smf