Author Topic: Hot Air Stations that won't kill me  (Read 2666 times)

Offline DarkModeTopic starter

• Contributor
Hot Air Stations that won't kill me
« on: June 29, 2023, 09:42:04 am »
Ok, so we all know about the Chinese Hot Air stations and I've seen in 'dodgy' forum section how many of these devices are not Earth'd correctly or have Live wires exposed.

I was looking at Yihua 852D and thought maybe that's another dodgy one  :-//

However about a year ago, I started using Pay in 4  :clap:

Suggestions anyone?
Ps: does it come from Temu, Aliexpress (add dodgy sellers here)? PASS
Budget Under 200 AUD  :box:
Features: None comes to mind  :-//
Extras: Does it come with a Kit? Accessories, Tips, Helpers?  :-+

Thanks
This one, a long time have I watched. All his life has he looked away, to the future to the horizon. Never his mind on where he was, what he was doing, HA! Adventure Ha, excitement Ha ... you are reckless - Yoda

Offline Microdoser

• Frequent Contributor
Re: Hot Air Stations that won't kill me
« Reply #1 on: June 29, 2023, 11:29:25 am »
Just bite the bullet, save for a little longer, and get an Atten ST-862D. You'll be glad you did.

The following users thanked this post: DarkMode

Offline Psi

• Super Contributor
« Reply #2 on: June 29, 2023, 11:36:08 am »
Just bite the bullet, save for a little longer, and get an Atten ST-862D. You'll be glad you did.

2nd'ed
Greek letter 'Psi' (not Pounds per Square Inch)

Offline Electro Fan

• Super Contributor
« Reply #3 on: June 29, 2023, 01:33:47 pm »
ST-852D would be very nice.

As an alternative this might suffice if it’s available in your area:

edit - fixed link:
https://www.tequipment.net/Quick/957DW+/Desoldering-Equipment/Rework-Stations/?v=0

Extra nozzles shouldn’t cost much or be too hard to find.

« Last Edit: June 30, 2023, 12:38:48 am by Electro Fan »

Online wraper

• Supporter
« Reply #4 on: June 30, 2023, 10:09:10 am »
I've searched 'trusted Stores'

Digikey had this https://www.digikey.com.au/en/products/detail/sra-soldering-products/AO888A220V/13694788

Jaycar (returnable to store) had this https://www.jaycar.com.au/esd-safe-solder-desolder-rework-station/p/TS1648

Element14 (Australia) had a few, I couldn't tell the difference between them
a https://au.element14.com/duratool/d01841/hot-air-station-500-deg-c-240vac/dp/2542911
b https://au.element14.com/multicomp-pro/mp740111/hot-air-station-700w-240vac-eu/dp/3235965

Is there any that stands out to anyone?  :-//
Thanks
All of those are utter cheap Chinese garbage sold for 4-5x of actual price. Either get Atten ST-862D as suggested, original Quick 861DW (more expensive) that ATTEN copied, or cheaper Quick 957DW+ which is simple and somewhat less powerful but still very good station. Or Best BST-863 which is another more blatant 861DW clone.
« Last Edit: June 30, 2023, 10:11:42 am by wraper »

Offline BrokenYugo

• Super Contributor
« Reply #5 on: June 30, 2023, 03:35:06 pm »
Pretty much anything with that blower in the handpiece style design is going to have those issues.

Offline Electro Fan

• Super Contributor
« Reply #6 on: June 30, 2023, 05:18:38 pm »
Pretty much anything with that blower in the handpiece style design is going to have those issues.

DarkMode, This ^ is good advice.  In a desoldering station the blower on not so good products is in the handpiece; in the better products such as the products recommended by Wrapper and others (Atten ST-862D and Quick 861DW) the blower is in the chassis.  The Quick 957DW+ is an entry level product that also has the blower in the chassis, not the handpiece - so it might be worthy of consideration.

What isn't so clear is whether you want or need a station that does both soldering and desoldering.  If you already have a decent soldering iron all you need is a desoldering station. 

If you don't already have a soldering station, you could buy both a soldering station and a desoldering station integrated into one product, or you could buy two separate products, one for soldering and one for desoldering. 

I think you might find that two separate products will be a better approach.  For example, for about $200 (US) you could buy a Hakko FX888D (or any of several other popular soldering stations that sell for about $100) plus the Quick 957DW+.  If one product ever fails or if you need to upgrade one product (either for soldering or desoldering) you can just replace one station instead of both.  Two products that are smaller than one big integrated product might not take up much more bench space than the integrated product, and with two separate products you could buy however much functionality and performance you need for soldering and for desoldering.  Most people are probably going to do more soldering than desoldering but if you do a lot of repairs or parts salvaging it might be the other way around.  Either way, with two products you can optimize for what is most important to you. 

I think you could be happy with something like the 888 and the 957, but if later you really want or need a a 862D or a 861DW you can upgrade from the 957 and keep the soldering station, or you can keep the 957 and upgrade to a better soldering station if/as/when needed.

Offline slavoy

• Regular Contributor
« Reply #7 on: June 30, 2023, 06:28:27 pm »
Quick 859D+ also looks interesting. Maybe I will soon have it for testing, and I will see its worth. I also have the 861DW as well as the 202D and 203D, and they are well-made tools.

Online wraper

• Supporter
« Reply #8 on: June 30, 2023, 07:11:48 pm »
Quick 859D+ also looks interesting. Maybe I will soon have it for testing, and I will see its worth. I also have the 861DW as well as the 202D and 203D, and they are well-made tools.
957DW+ is better though. All price increase is for bells and whistles and lower max airflow on top.
EDIT: I see in China it's as cheap as 957DW+, so airflow it the only major concern if you don't buy it at inflated price.
« Last Edit: June 30, 2023, 09:10:40 pm by wraper »

Offline temperance

• Frequent Contributor
« Reply #9 on: June 30, 2023, 08:22:43 pm »
I had one of those cheap ones with a normal looking power switch. Except that the power switch does not disconnect the mains supply but instead switches the machine to cooling until the temperature is below 100°C before it's being switched off.

One day I walk into the office and the heat gun is on. I tried turning it off but non of it's buttons respond and the gun itself is almost glowing red. Something like that can burn down your house.

I still use this heat gun but it's only used for heat shrink tubing and disconnected when done.
Some species start the day by screaming their lungs out. Something which doesn't make sense at first. But as you get older it all starts to make sense.

Offline DavidAlfa

• Super Contributor
« Reply #10 on: July 01, 2023, 08:00:26 pm »
About the exposed pins -  yeah, just tighten the nut so it doesn't come out, I guess  ;).
The 858D fully cuts the mains power, so the connector won't be alive with the switch off.
Hantek DSO2x1x            Drive        FAQ          DON'T BUY HANTEK! (Aka HALF-MADE)
Stm32 Soldering FW      Forum      Github      Donate

Share me

Digg  Facebook  SlashDot  Delicious  Technorati  Twitter  Google  Yahoo
Smf