Author Topic: Year and half old Hakko fx888d not working  (Read 3587 times)

Offline TimanatorTopic starter

Year and half old Hakko fx888d not working
« on: April 30, 2017, 01:57:15 pm »
Howdy guys

Looks for some advice here on a year and half old FX888d, used maybe 20 times. When plugged in, the device beeps once, but the lcd does not power up. When unplugging, it has a long and short beep. I have taken the prob apart and the resistance in the wiring seems ok. I also openned the controller case, the internal fuse is ok and do not show any burn marks on the circuit boards. What do I do now?

Thanks.

Offline floobydust

• Super Contributor
Re: Year and half old Hakko fx888d not working
« Reply #1 on: May 01, 2017, 01:59:20 am »
I don't anything know about a beeper on a FX888D :-//  Nothing mentioned in the manual or pics of the PCB. Hakko is good quality, assuming you have a genuine one.

I would check the 5VDC power, that's about all you need to boot up. Even with the wand unplugged the display should come up.  Also would do a visual on the PCB for bad solder joints or flux corrosion.

You could try reset to factory default settings, but it also erases the calibration  :(

In order to reset the HAKKO FX-888D back to the factory default settings,
"... Hold UP and ENTER buttons and turn power on.
The display shows units 'A' (for Asian defaults and display in Celsius) or 'U' (for US defaults and display in Fahrenheit). UP button to toggle the value shown between 'A' and 'U'.
When you have made your selection, press the ENTER button and the factory reset will be complete..."
From: http://kb.hakkousa.com/KnowledgebaseArticle10599.aspx

Offline TimanatorTopic starter

« Reply #2 on: May 01, 2017, 10:48:48 am »
Thanks guys, I will contact hakko today and see what they recommend. I have tried the reset, and it does absolutely nothing.

Offline Nusa

• Super Contributor
« Reply #3 on: May 01, 2017, 12:07:03 pm »
Given the low cost of a new unit, if you aren't able to fix it yourself, it's likely not worth the costs of having anyone else fix it. Buy a new one, keep the old one for spare parts and/or a future repair attempt.

Offline KL27x

• Super Contributor
« Reply #4 on: May 02, 2017, 09:06:40 pm »
+1 on the beep. Perhaps a pic of the PCB would be in order. Where you getting a beep from?

If it weren't for the beep, first thing I'd do is check the power rails to make sure the device is getting a stable 5V rail for the control circuitry. If you're not comfortable working on live circuit powered from mains, then don't try it.

A genuine 888D will light up when you power it on, even if the iron is not plugged in. It will start up "888" then eventually start flashing "5 - E" error. So the iron/probe should not be part of the equation. But since your station looks to be "special," all bets are off.

Share me

Digg  Facebook  SlashDot  Delicious  Technorati  Twitter  Google  Yahoo
Smf