Author Topic: Quality Warning for Erem E7SA Tweezers from Amazon  (Read 5766 times)

Offline figurativelythedevilTopic starter

• Contributor
Quality Warning for Erem E7SA Tweezers from Amazon
« on: August 29, 2021, 04:50:59 pm »
Hey y'all! I work with small SMT components on the daily for work (down to 0402 generally), so I have a need and appreciation for high quality tweezers. As such, my job was gracious enough to provide me with a set of Weller Erem E7SA curved tweezers. I've used them basically every day since, and knew that I needed a pair for my homelab; they're seriously the best tweezers I ever used. My company bought them through Digikey, but I figured I'd have a look around and see if I could save myself some money, and indeed, I found the same set of tweezers listed on Amazon (shipped & sold by Amazon, not some shady 3rd party) for about $8 cheaper, plus free shipping with prime. Winner winner, right? Went ahead and ordered them, they show up, and I immediately feel something is off about them. The finish of the grips was different, and the tip didn't seem as small or as well machined as the pair I had at work. I didn't want to bring my work tweezers home to compare, so I decided to trust my hunch and I ordered another pair, this time from Digikey. They showed up a few days later and confirmed my suspicion! They were indeed significantly different side-by-side, with the Digikey pair matching the other I use for work. I decided to post an Amazon review to warn others. Since then, I sadly managed to mangle the tips of my work pair and had to order a replacement, this one again was consistent with the quality of the other two Digikey pairs. This leads me to believe that either Weller is binning their tweezers based on what distributor they're going to, their QC is all over the place and I just happened to get a bad pair, or the pair I received from Amazon isn't a genuine pair. I'm leaning toward the third option right now, as it doesn't even look like the two pairs came from the same stamped metal mold (which is how I assume these are made, unsure tbh). Amazon since decided to remove my review after verifying authenticity, but I'm not sure.

Anyway, I thought y'all would be ones to appreciate the differences here, so be warned! Stick with trusted distributors!

edit: Disregard the time stamps on the close-up photos, I haven't set the date & time for my microscope, this was just a few weeks ago.
« Last Edit: August 29, 2021, 04:58:39 pm by figurativelythedevil »

The following users thanked this post: thm_w, Rod, devorah

Offline thm_w

• Super Contributor
  • Non-expert
Re: Quality Warning for Erem E7SA Tweezers from Amazon
« Reply #1 on: August 30, 2021, 09:30:08 pm »
It is a different grind on the tip for sure.
Although their spec sheet gives no actual tip size, all I can find is:

Erem E7SA Specifications:
    Material: Stainless Steel
    Material Category: Metal
    Overall Length: 4.724in
    Point Type: Very Fine
    Weight in g 27.5

I sent the photos to weller email, lets see what they say.
Profile -> Modify profile -> Look and Layout ->  Don't show users' signatures

The following users thanked this post: figurativelythedevil

Offline thm_w

• Super Contributor
  • Non-expert
« Reply #2 on: September 01, 2021, 05:36:39 pm »
Here is the response:

thanks and no. We have not shipped that part to Amazon. But yes, these tools are produced only in one location (Switzerland). So it looks like this is at least not a current production from Weller.

So that tells me either its a fake, or maybe some very old production run. Not clear on the second part. Was there any date code on the plastic box?
Either way, I think that would give justification to return it to Amazon.

• Contributor
« Reply #3 on: September 01, 2021, 08:13:34 pm »
Here is the response:

thanks and no. We have not shipped that part to Amazon. But yes, these tools are produced only in one location (Switzerland). So it looks like this is at least not a current production from Weller.

So that tells me either its a fake, or maybe some very old production run. Not clear on the second part. Was there any date code on the plastic box?

Interesting! Thanks for reaching out to them! I suppose it could be a fluke and I got some old old stock, I hadn't considered that possibility. Sadly there wasn't a date code on the packaging, just the plain square plastic tube with the barcode & description on it. I couldn't distinguish the packaging of the pair from Amazon from the ones from Digikey, so if it is indeed a fake, they at least got that one right. I don't think I'll be returning the Amazon pair as they're still useful, but I definitely won't be getting another set if something happens to them.

Offline ygi

• Regular Contributor
« Reply #4 on: September 01, 2021, 10:12:19 pm »
Don't expect Weller to publicly throw Amazon under the bus. They will probably settle the matter behind closed door and unfortunate buyers will never know because it's bad PR for both companies.

Offline devorah

« Reply #5 on: December 03, 2021, 05:32:34 pm »
i think i just got the same pair but am unsure.
i was checking the photo comparisons you posted (and thank you for those by the way) but still not sure with mine.
my question i was wondering can you post a picture of the tweexers other side where it says EREM because mine says Weller and i have not seen any with that on the tweezers. which are the fake ones the top or the bottom (in that first picture?)

Offline thm_w

• Super Contributor
  • Non-expert
« Reply #6 on: December 03, 2021, 11:30:14 pm »
i think i just got the same pair but am unsure.
i was checking the photo comparisons you posted (and thank you for those by the way) but still not sure with mine.
my question i was wondering can you post a picture of the tweexers other side where it says EREM because mine says Weller and i have not seen any with that on the tweezers. which are the fake ones the top or the bottom (in that first picture?)

Its in the photo overlay, amazon = lower quality = suspected fake

Online tooki

• Super Contributor
« Reply #7 on: December 05, 2021, 02:34:23 pm »
Here is the response:

Interesting! Thanks for reaching out to them! I suppose it could be a fluke and I got some old old stock, I hadn't considered that possibility. Sadly there wasn't a date code on the packaging, just the plain square plastic tube with the barcode & description on it. I couldn't distinguish the packaging of the pair from Amazon from the ones from Digikey, so if it is indeed a fake, they at least got that one right. I don't think I'll be returning the Amazon pair as they're still useful, but I definitely won't be getting another set if something happens to them.
Why would you think “old stock” would be of lesser quality? Weller bought Erem, a long-established Swiss tool maker, because of the high quality products they make. If I expected there to be quality differences (which my own experience with both old and brand new Erem tools has not given any indication of), it’d be that Weller would have reduced the quality. But again, I’ve seen no evidence of that.

Since Amazon commingles its own stock with that of third party vendors, it’s entirely possible for Amazon’s own stock to become contaminated with fakes. It’s essentially impossible to know.

I’m curious as to what Weller replies. I suspect, contrary to ygi’s assertion, that Weller would aggressively fight Amazon regarding fakes, as many companies have been forced to do. Their reputation is essential to their success, and I seriously doubt Amazon is a major seller of their tweezers. (Since they’re so high-end that consumers typically don’t buy them, and Amazon is not where commercial/industrial customers go to buy their tools.)

Offline thm_w

• Super Contributor
  • Non-expert
« Reply #8 on: December 06, 2021, 11:20:12 pm »
I’m curious as to what Weller replies. I suspect, contrary to ygi’s assertion, that Weller would aggressively fight Amazon regarding fakes, as many companies have been forced to do. Their reputation is essential to their success, and I seriously doubt Amazon is a major seller of their tweezers. (Since they’re so high-end that consumers typically don’t buy them, and Amazon is not where commercial/industrial customers go to buy their tools.)

I posted their reply above.
They do seem to carry various Weller soldering stations, likely directly shipped from weller, but Erem is probably separate.

Online tooki

• Super Contributor
« Reply #9 on: December 07, 2021, 12:56:06 pm »
It could go either way. I wouldn't be surprised if the soldering stations are also indirectly acquired. Amazon's commitment to supply chain purity is about as strong as a piece of canned spaghetti.

The following users thanked this post: gnavigator1007, E-Design

Online Haenk

• Super Contributor
« Reply #10 on: December 08, 2021, 03:51:20 pm »
As we also act as a "vendor" to Amazon, I can tell you, that it is - as a vendor - no problem to sell fake products to Amazon, without the hassle of being a certified reseller oder need for proof of purchase.
These will then become "sold and shipped by Amazon"-items.
(We certainly wouldn't do that, but it's possible.)

I'd suggest to directly contact them in Switzerland, they should know.

The following users thanked this post: Qw3rtzuiop, tooki

Offline E-Design

• Regular Contributor
  • Hardware Design Engineer
« Reply #11 on: December 08, 2021, 04:24:43 pm »
Thanks for posting this. I for one appreciate information like this to help guide my future purchasing. I dont like the fact that they removed your Amazon review because somebody told them they were authentic - as if anybody would ever admit fakes. Sometimes, I don't mind the fakes knowing full well what I'm in for.. but knowing up front is quite helpful.

I agree that even an old weller stock should be old but very high quality. Therefore, these are likely fake regardless what Amazon people tell you.
The greatest obstacle to discovery is not ignorance - it is the illusion of knowledge.

The following users thanked this post: tooki

Online tooki

• Super Contributor
« Reply #12 on: December 08, 2021, 04:28:05 pm »
Old stock would simply be labeled “Erem”. But I can assure you, because I use it on a nearly daily basis, that that old Erem stuff is extremely well made, certainly not worse than Weller-branded product. (And the Weller-branded Erem tools I’ve bought seem just as good.) So I agree with the suspicion that they’re fake.

What surprises me about Amazon removing the review is that in the past, they erred on the side of caution. I once ordered a pair of Fluke test leads from Amazon, and got the real deal, but did contact them to say that the $5 sets from third parties had to be fakes (and some reviews said so). Without me asking, they refunded me the price of my (genuine) pair.

I rarely order from Amazon any more, other than for books. Amazon’s wish to become a flea-riddled bazaar has worked out for them, but it’s made Amazon very uninteresting to me, since I don’t always want to spend hours trying to track down a genuine article among an ocean of no-name garbage.
« Last Edit: December 08, 2021, 04:32:47 pm by tooki »

Online tooki

• Super Contributor
« Reply #13 on: June 22, 2022, 01:33:29 pm »
Well, I have another data point for us: I just bought an EOODSA from Distrelec, a reputable reseller that certainly procures them from official sources. And the quality is crap. I am absolutely shocked that they'd allow it out the door, never mind have the balls to charge almost $60 for them.

Given that the equivalent ones at work are so old they're still Erem-branded (not Weller), and they look fantastic, this change in quality definitely took place after Weller acquired them. It also suggests Amazon did not sell counterfeits.

I've reached out to Distrelec for assistance, but my hunch is that this means Erem tweezers as such no longer exist. :(

The Weller-Erem branded diagonal cutters I have are fine (they're a year or two old), but who knows what their latest production runs look like.

I'll add photos later.
« Last Edit: June 22, 2022, 01:43:21 pm by tooki »

The following users thanked this post: thm_w

Offline bson

• Supporter
« Reply #14 on: July 01, 2022, 06:43:10 pm »
Fake.

Amazon let you post a review spelling this out?  The few times I've tried to point out fakes they've rejected my reviews, leading to the obvious conclusion that Amazon doesn't consider fakes a serious problem.

Offline mzzj

• Super Contributor
« Reply #15 on: August 13, 2022, 06:09:24 am »

Given that the equivalent ones at work are so old they're still Erem-branded (not Weller), and they look fantastic, this change in quality definitely took place after Weller acquired them.

Well that was supprise(not). The holding company  APEX (previously Danaher) that owns  Weller has sort of reputation for milking on old name brands and running their quality to ground.

IIRC Erem was already producing some of the tweezers in Pakistan. Maybe they imported the QC department from Pakistan to Swiss...cheaper labor and all.

Online tooki

• Super Contributor
« Reply #16 on: August 14, 2022, 06:43:50 pm »
The economy line is made abroad, but the regular ones are still made in Switzerland. By baboons, apparently…

• Contributor
« Reply #17 on: February 09, 2024, 03:08:38 am »
Update: new job means a new set of E7SA tweezers! I'll take in my known good pair and the poor quality one from Amazon to work tomorrow and get some more photos and points for comparison. Also, fun fact: two pairs of Weller/Erem E7SA tweezers fit perfectly in the box for a Starret 18A Automatic Center Punch.

Offline Arts

• Regular Contributor
« Reply #18 on: February 09, 2024, 03:46:59 am »
Similar story; I recently ordered a tip for my Metcal PS-900 from Amazon. It was a few buck cheaper than from my usual supplier, so I just added it to an order. I was rather surprised to find Metcal parts on Amazon but...Go figure.

Packaging was identical to usual Metcal, with the exception of a different sticker on the plastic case. Been using these for years and have never seen that sticker/label, regardless of supplier.
Tip would not heat properly, and the soldering surface was very poor quality. Returned it as defective and likely a fake. Refunded without comment or difficulty.

Offline thm_w

• Super Contributor
  • Non-expert
« Reply #19 on: February 09, 2024, 09:57:13 pm »
Similar story; I recently ordered a tip for my Metcal PS-900 from Amazon. It was a few buck cheaper than from my usual supplier, so I just added it to an order. I was rather surprised to find Metcal parts on Amazon but...Go figure.

Packaging was identical to usual Metcal, with the exception of a different sticker on the plastic case. Been using these for years and have never seen that sticker/label, regardless of supplier.
Tip would not heat properly, and the soldering surface was very poor quality. Returned it as defective and likely a fake. Refunded without comment or difficulty.

Photo? Never heard of or seen counterfeit metcal tips.
Wasn't thermaltronics?

Offline Arts

• Regular Contributor
« Reply #20 on: February 10, 2024, 03:46:04 am »

Wasn't thermaltronics?

Why would I take a photo of a soldering tip?

I clearly stated that the tip was a Metcal product.

Online tooki

• Super Contributor
« Reply #21 on: February 10, 2024, 11:05:41 am »

Wasn't thermaltronics?

No, you literally described it as “likely a fake”.

The following users thanked this post: thm_w

Offline Arts

• Regular Contributor
« Reply #22 on: February 11, 2024, 04:47:12 am »

Wasn't thermaltronics?

Yes. The product was branded as and packaged as a Metcal product. Try reading the post instead of being a dick.

Do you ever make any posts where you are not argumentative? Looking for a confrontation? Can't open your mouth with a positive contribution?

Online tooki

• Super Contributor
« Reply #23 on: February 11, 2024, 11:08:33 am »
Yes. The product was branded as and packaged as a Metcal product. Try reading the post instead of being a dick.
I did read it, which is why I responded.

The item is either genuine Metcal or it’s a fake. It cannot be both at the same time. Your post said that packaging was “identical to” Metcal (not that it is genuine Metcal) and then you expressly say that you returned it as “likely a fake”. The clear message from your post is “this thing was likely counterfeit”.

Nothing I said to you is “being a dick”.

It’s your fault, and yours alone, that you wrote a post that states the exact opposite of what you apparently think it says.

Offline thm_w

• Super Contributor
  • Non-expert
« Reply #24 on: February 12, 2024, 10:48:12 pm »

This is an electronics forum, so.. we tend to be interested in electronics and related equipment.
As I said, I've never seen counterfeit metcal tips and it would be interesting to see a photo of one if it existed. Though in this case its PS900 so it does not have the integrated heater, so slightly simpler design, it would make sense as a first attempt to counterfeit.

I see this amazon review saying they got the wrong size tip: https://www.amazon.com/Metcal-SFV-CH25AR-Soldering-Application-Temperature/dp/B0062571WM/
Then there is this unit that is slightly cheaper: https://www.amazon.com/Metcal-SFV-CH10AR-Soldering-Application-Temperature/dp/B007UOJMHQ/

Share me

Digg  Facebook  SlashDot  Delicious  Technorati  Twitter  Google  Yahoo
Smf