Author Topic: Need to turn off smoke alarm so i can solder  (Read 2578 times)

Offline ocsetTopic starter

• Super Contributor
Need to turn off smoke alarm so i can solder
« on: July 09, 2020, 12:09:27 pm »
Hi,
I need to solder in my room, but the smoke alarm will go off. (i cant risk this as my neighbours will go nuts)
Therefore, can i turn the smoke alarm off somehow ?(without exciting some alarm in the main control box)?

The smoke alarm has no model number or manufacturer written on it.

The smoke alarm does have its own breaker in the room's breaker box.

(BTW its a very sensitive smoke alarm and goes off if i cook toast even)
« Last Edit: July 10, 2020, 06:00:31 pm by treez »

Offline Berni

• Super Contributor
Re: Need to turn off smoke alarm so i can solder
« Reply #1 on: July 09, 2020, 12:18:25 pm »
Use masking tape to attach a plastic bowl over the smoke detector. Just make sure to remove it again afterwards in case there is an actual fire.

I assume you are renting the place so you can't mess with it too much.

The following users thanked this post: ocset

Offline JackJones

• Regular Contributor
« Reply #2 on: July 09, 2020, 12:19:32 pm »
You could cover it with something, like a nitrile glove would probably stretch over it nicely.

• Super Contributor
« Reply #3 on: July 09, 2020, 12:28:10 pm »
Twist it off (which is a standard design to allow you to replace batteries), and unplug its cables, then remove the battery inside. Done. Don't let your insurance company know.
Thanks very much , do you think there is chance an alarm will go off if i do this though?...i mean, maybe  i have to turn off the breaker to the alarm first?

I assume you are renting the place so you can't mess with it too much.
Thanks, Yes its rental

Online wraper

• Supporter
« Reply #4 on: July 09, 2020, 12:31:23 pm »
If you manage to trigger smoke alarms, you are destroying your health. Use smoke extractor/filter instead of fighting with symptoms of the problem.

Offline Berni

• Super Contributor
« Reply #5 on: July 09, 2020, 12:45:32 pm »
Twist it off (which is a standard design to allow you to replace batteries), and unplug its cables, then remove the battery inside. Done. Don't let your insurance company know.
Thanks very much , do you think there is chance an alarm will go off if i do this though?...i mean, maybe  i have to turn off the breaker to the alarm first?

If it is wired into a central fire detection system then yes unplugging it will trip a maintenance alarm on the fire control panel due to a malfunctioning sensor.

But if this is a regular house and the wiring is just providing power to it then it should stay quiet. Unless perhaps the battery is low then it might make a short periodic low battery noise every so often until the battery is removed.

• Super Contributor
« Reply #6 on: July 09, 2020, 01:35:41 pm »
Actually yes, ive just seen the Alarm Panel.......i'm pretty sure if i remove power and batteries to my smoke detector it will trigger something...alarms may go off
« Last Edit: July 10, 2020, 06:00:02 pm by treez »

Offline Jeroen3

• Super Contributor
  • Embedded Engineer
    • jeroen3.nl
« Reply #7 on: July 09, 2020, 02:29:27 pm »
Put a plastic bag on it with a rubber band. Builders do this all the time when making dust.
If this is spotted during the regular checkup of the fire detection system you'll probably be evicted though.

Anyway, invest in some heat resistant matting since you're either burning the table underneath, or you are using too much flux. Although it's often impossible to use too much flux, in this situation it is.

Offline Berni

• Super Contributor
« Reply #8 on: July 09, 2020, 02:36:02 pm »
Actually yes, ive just seen the Alarm Panel....(attached)....i'm pretty sure if i remove power and batteries to my smoke detector it will trigger something...alarms may go off

Yep that indeed looks like a fire alarm panel. They are smart enough to detect sensors disappearing off the bus. Typically these central fire detection systems are also connected to a remote monitoring location. Here typically only large buildings have these and they will automatically alert security staff to go check the situation or in some cases also escalate it to the fire department. So if that is the case you might not only be annoying your neighbor, but i would guess if this was the case they would have also explained upon renting to you how to clear the alert in the event of a false alarm

So yeah as previously said stick a bowl, glove, bag etc... over the detector.

EDIT:
Anyway, invest in some heat resistant matting since you're either burning the table underneath, or you are using too much flux. Although it's often impossible to use too much flux, in this situation it is.
No such thing as too much flux ;D
But yeah soldering makes smoke and i seen some really sensitive smoke detectors that will go off at just a little squirt of deodorant or hair spray. Luckily the detectors at where i work are not one of those, we make plenty of soldering smoke here and there and they never went off.
« Last Edit: July 09, 2020, 02:39:42 pm by Berni »

Online themadhippy

• Super Contributor
« Reply #9 on: July 09, 2020, 03:00:33 pm »
on the bottom right of the picture,those red things? there not smoke detector covers by any chance?

Offline Mr. Scram

• Super Contributor
  • Display aficionado
« Reply #10 on: July 09, 2020, 03:11:20 pm »
treez, please don't sabotage your smoke alarm. You may need it.

• Super Contributor
« Reply #11 on: July 11, 2020, 09:22:48 am »
If you manage to trigger smoke alarms, you are destroying your health. Use smoke extractor/filter instead of fighting with symptoms of the problem.
Thanks, good point, i'll use my mates garage instead for soldering, its much better ventilated.

Share me

Digg  Facebook  SlashDot  Delicious  Technorati  Twitter  Google  Yahoo
Smf