Author Topic: Pace ADS200 soldering station  (Read 162549 times)

Offline Shock

• Super Contributor
Re: Pace ADS200 soldering station
« Reply #1425 on: December 31, 2020, 09:14:11 am »
Tequipment.net should have the instant setback version for about $263 shipped for those interested (apply eevblog 6% discount). It's about $40 off all up.

Soldering/Rework: Pace ADS200, Pace MBT350
Multimeters: Fluke 87V, 117, 27/FM       >>> WANTED STUFF <<<
Oszilloskopen: Lecroy 9314, Phillips PM3065, Tektronix 2215a, 314

The following users thanked this post: LoneWolf

Offline LoneWolf

• Contributor
« Reply #1426 on: December 31, 2020, 10:24:50 am »
Tequipment.net should have the instant setback version for about $263 shipped for those interested (apply eevblog 6% discount). It's about $40 off all up.

Im very interested in buying ads200 with setback stand but I have heard that theres a problem with the stand pulling out tips( if they're the High performance tips especially) So my question is has this problem been addressed & if not is there anything that can be done?

(Forum members reading this maybe you guys can also give me some input? )

Offline Shock

• Super Contributor
« Reply #1427 on: December 31, 2020, 11:21:28 am »
I admit I don't leave a lot of the really large tips on the handpieces but last time I tried you can still put in large removal tip and stick it back into the stand. To my knowledge it's never pulled a tip out, including an ultra performance tip unless you leave a huge one in and forget to pull and lift, same goes for any station.

Pace actually does this better than other brands, I think Hakko you can't leave the big ones on and JBC has space issues when you remove the tip, Metcal is not entirely dissimilar from Paces system.

The other thing that could be occurring is if the user has not inserted the tip properly or opened their handpiece up and removed the rubber oring. It grips the cartridge body and holds it in snug, so you would feel if you were pulling the tips out under normal conditions. Super easy and cheap to replace, they cost about a buck each but a good system as it takes a lot of insertion wear.

« Last Edit: December 31, 2020, 11:43:31 am by Shock »

Offline 2N3055

• Super Contributor
« Reply #1428 on: December 31, 2020, 11:29:33 am »
I have it happening only with huge 5 mm tips, and I find it to be deficiency of tips, because they left back of the tip with sharp edge that catches on. If they would slightly bevel the back of the tip, it would simply slide out like the rest. It depends on angle too, so if you set it in a right place it's fine.
The fist and the last one here on photo.. You'll see what I mean...

Offline TheAmmoniacal

• Supporter
  • Cut me some slack, I'm a biochemist!
« Reply #1429 on: December 31, 2020, 11:38:52 am »
The PACE ADS200 is $485 USD here from Farnell, and that's the cheapest option with the regular tool stand (without ISB).  :-DD
I collect [corporate] mugs.
MTBF ~ 700.000 h

The following users thanked this post: tooki

Offline Shock

• Super Contributor
« Reply #1430 on: December 31, 2020, 12:06:27 pm »
The PACE ADS200 is $485 USD here from Farnell, and that's the cheapest option with the regular tool stand (without ISB).

Farnell UK shows £227 for me so that is $310 USD for the ISB model (VAT and shipping extra). Welectron shows  €325 with VAT for the ISB model so thats $398 USD (free shipping to some places). Not an amazing price but not the worst it could be.

Offline LoneWolf

• Contributor
« Reply #1431 on: December 31, 2020, 12:34:30 pm »
The PACE ADS200 is $485 USD here from Farnell, and that's the cheapest option with the regular tool stand (without ISB).

Farnell UK shows £227 for me so that is $310 USD for the ISB model (VAT and shipping extra). Welectron shows  €325 with VAT for the ISB model so thats $398 USD (free shipping to some places). Not an amazing price but not the worst it could be.

Thanks for your help,I have another question,I noticed that Pace also sells tweezers for ads200,I am kinda new to soldering,so will I ever NEED hot tweezers in your opinion,or is hot air capable of everything tweezers can do(even if not as great)? And do I even need hot air as opposed to just using a soldering iron on everything?  I will be using the station to repair electronics of all types, musical equipment,& building things with it like amplifiers,3d printers etc.(I don't own a business though I just plan on using the equipment moderately)
« Last Edit: December 31, 2020, 12:41:54 pm by LoneWolf »

Offline TheAmmoniacal

• Supporter
  • Cut me some slack, I'm a biochemist!
« Reply #1432 on: December 31, 2020, 12:57:29 pm »
In my experience you can do everything with hot air that tweezers are supposed to do, but it takes some skill to avoid desoldering and blowing away nearby components. Especially when working with SMDs.

My trick is to add a good amount of 60/40 to the joints first in order to lower the melting point if this solder relative to the rest, then mask as much as possible with kapton tape.

Also good tweezers is a must.

I collect [corporate] mugs.
MTBF ~ 700.000 h

Offline LoneWolf

• Contributor
« Reply #1433 on: December 31, 2020, 01:18:38 pm »
In my experience you can do everything with hot air that tweezers are supposed to do, but it takes some skill to avoid desoldering and blowing away nearby components. Especially when working with SMDs.

My trick is to add a good amount of 60/40 to the joints first in order to lower the melting point if this solder relative to the rest, then mask as much as possible with kapton tape.

What about using a regular soldering iron instead of hot air,is that possible? (I been looking into several stations & have narrowed it down to pace ads200,T12 ksger,or a Youyue 3600 which is a $200 jbc clone that allows every type of jbc socket basically such as the 210/245/& tweezers to be used,but I can't figure out whether the dual irons it comes with are actually useful if they can't be used at same exact time afaik,or if I'm better off just buying a ksger?(I can't figure out whether buying a ksger hot air station & t12 ksger for around $100 total is the best option for a hobbyist like me or whether I would be better served by the dual jbc or ads200?)

I have been scouring the web trying to figure it out & in the process I've learned a ton about electronics instead.:)

Offline tooki

• Super Contributor
« Reply #1434 on: December 31, 2020, 01:21:32 pm »

Thanks for your help,I have another question,I noticed that Pace also sells tweezers for ads200,I am kinda new to soldering,so will I ever NEED hot tweezers in your opinion,or is hot air capable of everything tweezers can do(even if not as great)? And do I even need hot air as opposed to just using a soldering iron on everything?  I will be using the station to repair electronics of all types, musical equipment,& building things with it like amplifiers,3d printers etc.(I don't own a business though I just plan on using the equipment moderately)
I agree with TheAmmoniacal’s reply above: hot air does everything tweezers do, and shitty tweezers just plain suck.

Given that good tweezers are expensive, and they’re good for exactly one thing (2-pin chip components, or parts for which they make special tips, like for SOICs), whereas you can get a perfectly serviceable hot air station for $50 and it’s very flexible (all types of SMD components, preheating for hand soldering snd desoldering, shrinking heat shrink tube, etc), to me it’s a no-brainer to get hot air first.

The following users thanked this post: thm_w, LoneWolf

Offline BlackICE

• Regular Contributor
« Reply #1435 on: December 31, 2020, 01:24:45 pm »
I have a Weller WE1010NA and Ksger that I've use both together like chopsticks to remove smd diodes. For occasional use it works, much less cost than tweezers. 2 Ksgers are much less than even a Pace. Now if you need more power or do a lot of smd work a Pace or JBC clone may make more sense.

The Ksger is superior to the Weller and cost much less too.
« Last Edit: December 31, 2020, 01:29:05 pm by BlackICE »

Offline 2N3055

• Super Contributor
« Reply #1436 on: December 31, 2020, 01:25:14 pm »
Tweezers are there for selective, precise control on smallest components..
You can get by with hot air, but for repair of small individual components, tweezers are fastest and most precise..
They are not must have, but for certain kind of jobs, great help.
So if you're not sure, skip them for now, and you'll see soon if you do need them....

Offline tooki

• Super Contributor
« Reply #1437 on: December 31, 2020, 01:27:12 pm »

What about using a regular soldering iron instead of hot air,is that possible? (I been looking into several stations & have narrowed it down to pace ads200,T12 ksger,or a Youyue 3600 which is a $200 jbc clone that allows every type of jbc socket basically such as the 210/245/& tweezers to be used,but I can't figure out whether the dual irons it comes with are actually useful if they can't be used at same exact time afaik,or if I'm better off just buying a ksger?(I can't figure out whether buying a ksger hot air station & t12 ksger for around $100 total is the best option for a hobbyist like me or whether I would be better served by the dual jbc or ads200?)

I have been scouring the web trying to figure it out & in the process I've learned a ton about electronics instead.:)
I’ve practically never needed two irons.

I’d get the ADS200 with ISB and an 858D-type hot air station.

JBC stuff is great, but holy smokes the tips are expensive. (Admittedly, JBC’s selection of tips is second to none, they have a massive, MASSIVE selection of tips. But at around $30 a piece...)

Offline LoneWolf

• Contributor
« Reply #1438 on: December 31, 2020, 01:33:39 pm »

I’ve practically never needed two irons.

I’d get the ADS200 with ISB and an 858D-type hot air station.

JBC stuff is great, but holy smokes the tips are expensive. (Admittedly, JBC’s selection of tips is second to none, they have a massive, MASSIVE selection of tips. But at around $30 a piece...)

So would you say the Ads200 is worth it at 4-5x the cost of the ksger(keeping in mind I'm a hobbyist) ? I know the ksger requires work to make it safe & it has no guarantee of quality with cheap components,but what other downsides does it have to the pace? (Aside from the pace built like a tank)(I know the hakko tips are more expensive too,but I've heard the fake tips work well too & cost as much as the pace tips?)

Anyone else maybe can give feedback,I don't want to derail this thread but it is about pace ads200,so I figured it should add to the discussion if we get into whether the Pace stations performance is worth 4x more than the ksger?(I know its down to preference but does everyone here think the Pace is worth so much more even for non pros?)
(I know the quality of the pace last a lifetime)

I also wonder whether there's ever a situation where the ksger can better suit a hobbyist?

Is the ksger type solderers chinese junk or just halfway junk?(junk to me means it breaks quickly on average or has poor performance compared to Ads 200.)
« Last Edit: December 31, 2020, 01:52:05 pm by LoneWolf »

Offline LoneWolf

• Contributor
« Reply #1439 on: December 31, 2020, 01:56:07 pm »
I have a Weller WE1010NA and Ksger that I've use both together like chopsticks to remove smd diodes. For occasional use it works, much less cost than tweezers. 2 Ksgers are much less than even a Pace. Now if you need more power or do a lot of smd work a Pace or JBC clone may make more sense.

My mistake,I just seen your reply before I commented last & it seems like you kindve already answered my question but can you please elaborate a bit more in relation to what I asked in my last comment? Thanks so much to everybody here,I feel lucky to have found such a knowledgeable forum of ppl)

Offline 2N3055

• Super Contributor
« Reply #1440 on: December 31, 2020, 02:09:29 pm »
If you're going to keep it for 20 years than ADS200 is worth the money, even for hobby.
After years, most of the price goes to tips anyways, that is why JBC is expensive (not to buy but to keep running, and also tips are not very long lasting).
Pace tips (originals) are 10-15 € , and last quite long.
And station is built like tank, it will last forever...

If you're not sure whether you'll keep the hobby, I wouldn't spend much money on it in general..

Offline BlackICE

• Regular Contributor
« Reply #1441 on: January 01, 2021, 07:06:40 am »

My mistake,I just seen your reply before I commented last & it seems like you kindve already answered my question but can you please elaborate a bit more in relation to what I asked in my last comment? Thanks so much to everybody here,I feel lucky to have found such a knowledgeable forum of ppl)

I like the Ksger better than the Weller because of the faster warmup time and wake from sleep and much easier to change the tips. The Weller's sleep and wakeup is almost unusable. It has to be set to stay awake for a long time. Otherwise it just piss me off because often I go to solder a joint and wonder why it isn't working. Oh, it has to wakeup and that takes too long. Whereas the Ksger is so fast it could sleep every time I put it into the holder and it would be OK for me most of the time.

My Ksger work pretty much as expected expect for the buzzer doesn't seem to work. I don't care about that. I did make the safety mods of grounding the case and adding more clearance between the PCB and heatsink. That said I added a fuse to the primary on the Weller because of the hysteria that Dave Jones rambled about. Probably not needed because it is highly unlikely I would ever plug it into 240v outlet vs the 120v like Dave did. :)  I have read about some Ksger examples being faulty from day one. So I brought mine from Amazon so I could returned it easier if I was unlucky. I could have paid less getting one from China but I didn't want the possible problems. I am using genuine Hakko tips as they are not really that expensive from Hakko USA free shipping orders > $25. It I started over again I may consider a Pace for more watts, but so far I haven't found a great need for 120w vs 75w.

Offline Shock

• Super Contributor
« Reply #1442 on: January 01, 2021, 09:36:30 am »
Want to know where the extra money went in the Pace station aside from the extra 45W, cool running handpiece, calibration free, low cost of ownership, warranty, made in the US (domestically sourced where possible), readable display for anyone older than 40? Try dropping the station or stand on your bare feet from bench height or snapping the handpiece, then compare this to a clone.

Like most Chinese domestic products Ksger stole technology, sucked the life blood out of it, added something shiny to attract the crows, wrapped it up in a new small bundle and sell it back to us at inflated prices with less middlemen and state run subsidized shipping that penalizes our own mail systems when we buy from them. Ksger even knows the trick about including no stand or handpiece to make it look cheap upfront as well as stating the smps total power output rather than the handpiece/cartridge max power. Don't think that they could get off their asses and fix the safety issues or defects, why should they when we are eating it all up and willing to fix problems ourselves? Even if we need support we come to a forum rather than deal with them directly.

Anyway that was where the differences went.:)
« Last Edit: January 01, 2021, 09:38:24 am by Shock »

Share me

Digg  Facebook  SlashDot  Delicious  Technorati  Twitter  Google  Yahoo
Smf