Author Topic: Recommendations for particular kind of setup; first go @ more serious equipment  (Read 919 times)

Offline oblivioncthTopic starter

Hello all,

I have done some research into this already and plan to do more, but the issue is that I'm trying to satisfy a particular set of needs/constraints and the huge variety of equipment/brands has me not knowing exactly how to go about figuring this out.

I've been soldering for years but have never had anything nicer or more capable than a Hakko fx-888D and some accessories like cheap/cruddy solder sucker pump and some solder wick. Don't get me wrong, it has severed me well, but it certainly has its short comings with certain kinds of work and it now feels like the right time for me to move up a tier so to speak so that I can expand the kind of jobs I can handle and increase the speed at which I can do them.

The particular setup I want I'm fairly set on but I'm willing to compromise if such a thing isn't feasible. I figure there is a good chance it should be though and I just need someone who is much more familiar with whats out there (I'm largely clueless outside of a few name brands and brands that generally sell cheaper/more basic equipment)

Here is pretty much what I'm looking for:
  • A setup that requires no more than 2 "base stations" so to speak. So power supplies, vacuum pumps, soldering iron controls, etc worth of boxes. 3 is acceptable if they aren't gigantic and all the other requirements are met.
  • A setup that allows me to have at least two hand tools connected and usable at once.
  • A soldering iron, and HIGHLY preferably one like the newer Metcal MX-500 or Hakko FX-100 that uses some kind of induction and/or self regulating heat in a closed-loop system so that it is a bit easier to use fine tips.
  • A desktop based soldering unit/station that has a self contained vacuum pump that feeds the gun/iron and doesn't require shop air (this is for my house, not a shop). I know this may be the trickiest part to pull off.
  • A hot air SMD rework hand gun/station. Doesn't have to be anything fancy, can be on the entry level side of things as long as there is decent temperature control.
  • 3 or 4 tips, such as a standard sized conical, a standard sized chizel, a small conical, and a beveled tip for drag soldering
  • Digital controls highly preferred, but I'm not entirely against analog.
  • Products with a box station/base are high preferred instead of entirely self contained units like the Hakko FR-300

The deal is I'm looking to pull this off for $1000 dollars or less. Shipping/tax doesn't have to be included in that limit, but would obviously be nice. Is this possible?

For the soldering iron I know nothing is every going to perfectly heat the very, very tip perfectly as its a simple matter of physics, but I absolutely want a step up from what I have now. A fine BL tip I have for the FX-888D is nearly unusable because only a couple mm down from the tip ever consistently melts anything which makes me generally stick to the standard sized B-style conical tip or D-style chisel tip most of the time.

Something newer is obviously nice but it doesn't need to be a brand new product and I'm not necessarily against going used either if the price is much lower and the product is a very hearty/lasts forever kind of product.

I feel like something close to this should be doable. I was imagining it as one station (one product) that is meant for rework and can support the vacuum pump/tool and the hot air gun, and then another station that is just for the soldering iron. Obviously it doesn't have to be like this though. Could be one station for the soldering and desoldering iron and a second for hot air.

Thanks for your time.

Offline Wallace Gasiewicz

• Super Contributor
I use a PACE unit that combines several functions.
I have used it for about a year with no problems.
It is an older unit that is branded "APE". It is the same as PACE equipment. I do not know why they used the APE name, I think it had something to do with government purchases?
My unit is not digital and does not have any proprietary plugs for specific irons. I think the newer ones use proprietary plugs for the irons etc...
My unit has two three pronged electrical plugs in front that support any two or three pin regular AC plug. This is for the irons. You can use any cheap or expensive new or old iron on these plugs. The temp is regulated by an analog potentiometer for each plug.

It also has a vacuum pump for a desoldering unit that heats up and takes various tips. There is also a pressure air output that you use on the desoldering unit to make very hot air for soldering. I use it a lot with shrink wrap also. You use a foot pedal to turn the pump or the pressure air on during desoldering/soldering.
The pump itself is quite robust and can be taken apart and cleaned if it sucks up some stuff.
The power supply inside the unit is also quite simple and strong.
There are also outputs on the unit for use with "HOT tool" and for a little Dremel-like tool for drilling and grinding. Quite useful. I have these options.

You can use any soldering iron that uses 120V with this unit. So if you are doing some ugly stuff, you can use a cheap handpiece that you wold not care too much if you damage it. You can also have small irons and bigger higher wattage irons.
I use Ungar irons and tips. These can be also expensive and they are old. However with the Ungar units you can make your own tips out of brass screws from ACE hardware. I have made some and they work fine.
You can find appropriate different irons at Hamfests for cheap. Ungar was bought by Weller and the line discontinued.

At a shop I frequent, we use and Xtronic unit that has needed several replacement irons (however they were quite affordable) . The transformer in the unit burned out and I replaced it with an old junk transformer, The company could not sell me a replacement transformer although they sell handpieces and heaters and tips quite affordably. My Xtronic unit does not have a sucker only a hot air piece. However you might look at the Xtronic site. They keep upgrading their units.
https://xtronicusa.com/
If you can find a Pace unit used, I would recommend it. They are far too expensive new. I have seen some advertised quite inexpensively. Some come with the irons and desoldering stuff and even the motorized tool. I think I spent $350 on my unit that came with lots of the optional parts.
I do not believe you can find a better or more expensive soldering unit than Pace (APE).
This is not my unit but it has a lot of the same options:
https://www.ebay.com/itm/PACE-PPS-200C-DESOLDERING-STATION-PACE-W-FOOT-PEDAL-FOR-PARTS/153587623700?epid=1618885158&hash=item23c2892714:g:9y8AAOSwOB1dQy0J
Wally KC9INK

The following users thanked this post: oblivioncth

Offline oblivioncthTopic starter

Thanks for the detailed explenation of your setup. Lots of options there, and I like that mostly everything is tied together.

Offline Wallace Gasiewicz

• Super Contributor
Here is a good soldering station with vacuum and air, CHEAP

Pace PPS-5 Soldering Desoldering Station 115VAC 2A 50/60Hz w/foot pedal

https://www.ebay.com/i/153812102966?ul_noapp=true

Unfortunately no desoldering tool.

Wally KC9INK

Share me

Digg  Facebook  SlashDot  Delicious  Technorati  Twitter  Google  Yahoo
Smf