Author Topic: Rosin Short Circuit Detector - Does anyone know about this tool?  (Read 4278 times)

Offline t1dTopic starter

• Super Contributor
I saw this on YouTube:

Is it junk?
How does it work? I saw a comment that said it is similar to an e-cigarette? Maybe it creates a cold water vapor and, when the faulted component heats up, it clears the fog covering that component?
How to get one in the USA? I saw the unit on Ebay, but no rosin chips...

Please and thank you. Cheers!
« Last Edit: July 28, 2021, 05:13:50 am by t1d »

Offline ataradov

• Super Contributor
    • Personal site
Re: Rosin Short Circuit Detector - Does anyone know about this tool?
« Reply #1 on: July 28, 2021, 05:22:36 am »
This is the same thing as you can do with a regular canned air in an upside down freezer mode. It relies on the shorted capacitor heating up.
My RSS reader is blocked by the forum, so I won't be actively reading it. If you need to reach me, use email.

Offline t1dTopic starter

• Super Contributor
« Reply #2 on: July 28, 2021, 05:35:58 am »
Found the answer:

Start after 3:00

Thanks

The following users thanked this post: thm_w

Online Berni

• Super Contributor
« Reply #3 on: July 28, 2021, 05:51:57 am »
Yeah this is the same white residue left after soldering iron smoke. The white residue just gets motivated to evaporate once it gets hot enough.

I suppose it is a pretty neat trick. The other way of doing this is to pour some alcohol over the board and watch where it evaporates really quickly. Both of those are better than nothing when you don't have a fancy pants thermal camera.

Offline SteveyG

• Supporter
  • Soldering Equipment Guru
« Reply #4 on: July 28, 2021, 09:50:25 am »
Not such a great thing to vapourise in such quantities though  :o
YouTube Channel: https://www.youtube.com/user/sdgelectronics/
Use code: “SDG5” to get 5% off JBC Equipment at Kaisertech

Offline WattsThat

• Frequent Contributor
« Reply #5 on: July 29, 2021, 12:02:15 am »
This is the same thing as you can do with a regular canned air in an upside down freezer mode. It relies on the shorted capacitor heating up.

Beware of using canned air as freeze spray. They now add some rather nasty bitterant agents to prevent kids from inhaling the propellants. Spraying a can upside down to get a liquid will result in drenching your board with this bitterant and if you don’t work with gloves, you’ll know if you ever get the stuff on any mucous membranes. It’s nasty with a capital N.

Offline ataradov

• Super Contributor
    • Personal site
« Reply #6 on: July 29, 2021, 12:20:24 am »
Beware of using canned air as freeze spray. They now add some rather nasty bitterant agents to prevent kids from inhaling the propellants. Spraying a can upside down to get a liquid will result in drenching your board with this bitterant and if you don’t work with gloves, you’ll know if you ever get the stuff on any mucous membranes. It’s nasty with a capital N.
That bitterant is not that strong. You will probably not like if you inhale it directly, but in normal use you can kind of feel it, but there is definitely no need to use gloves. I use canned air all the time to cool things and never had any issues with it.
My RSS reader is blocked by the forum, so I won't be actively reading it. If you need to reach me, use email.

Offline Towger

• Super Contributor
« Reply #7 on: August 06, 2021, 07:53:54 am »
I would be more worried about sicky rosin residue building up in your lungs and basically everything in the room.
Someone asked where to buy rosin, it can be bought in blocks in any music instrument shop. It is rubbed on bows to increase the friction between the bow and string.
« Last Edit: August 06, 2021, 08:01:36 am by Towger »

Offline Shock

• Super Contributor
« Reply #8 on: August 06, 2021, 10:57:53 am »
Rosin isn't what I'm worried about, you probably get years worth of worse from an open fire or gas heater. Just don't breathe it in. The flux you need to worry about is whatever they throw into Chinese flux or the ones not intended for hand soldering.

Anyway rosin in the lungs, just cough it out onto your hands and start your gymnastics routine :).
Soldering/Rework: Pace ADS200, Pace MBT350
Multimeters: Fluke 189, 87V, 117, 112   >>> WANTED STUFF <<<
Oszilloskopen: Lecroy 9314, Phillips PM3065, Tektronix 2215a, 314

Offline wraper

• Supporter
« Reply #9 on: August 06, 2021, 11:39:55 am »
This thing has very limited use. IME shorted ceramic capacitors usually heat a few oC above surroundings, so this thing will be completely useless for finding that. Faulty ICs often heat only slightly above normal too. Not to say this thing contaminates everything with rosin. What you really need for such job is a thermal camera (which became quite affordable lately). Everything else is a piss-poor substitute which does not work half of the time (can detect only what's really frying) and is worth to use only if you really don't have the money or it's for a one-off thing you won't do again.

Offline wraper

• Supporter
« Reply #10 on: August 06, 2021, 11:45:05 am »
Yeah this is the same white residue left after soldering iron smoke. The white residue just gets motivated to evaporate once it gets hot enough.
It melts, not evaporates.

Online DavidAlfa

• Super Contributor
« Reply #11 on: August 06, 2021, 02:07:55 pm »
It's more like it sublimates.
I've had too much Breaking bad to see that as a tool ;D
Hantek DSO2x1x            Drive        FAQ          DON'T BUY HANTEK! (Aka HALF-MADE)
Stm32 Soldering FW      Forum      Github      Donate

Online coppercone2

• Super Contributor
  • $
« Reply #12 on: August 06, 2021, 05:14:27 pm »
poor mans thermal

1/30th the price but I would say for a EE, buying a thermal cam is worth it because it opens doors. you learn how to manage a new sensor spectrum

IMO save your 9$ in a slush fund and buy a Ti
« Last Edit: August 06, 2021, 05:17:25 pm by coppercone2 »

Share me

Digg  Facebook  SlashDot  Delicious  Technorati  Twitter  Google  Yahoo
Smf