Author Topic: R&S RTO1012 Oscilloscope  (Read 16413 times)

Online Mechatrommer

• Super Contributor
  • reassessing directives...
Re: R&S RTO1012 Oscilloscope
« Reply #25 on: October 28, 2010, 01:46:37 pm »
We should have a "post your Heathkits thread".  Maybe I'll go start one.
yea! you should teach us how to build the analog frontend, for free :P
Nature: Evolution and the Illusion of Randomness (Stephen L. Talbott): Its now indisputable that... organisms “expertise” contextualizes its genome, and its nonsense to say that these powers are under the control of the genome being contextualized - Barbara McClintock

Offline qno

• Frequent Contributor
« Reply #26 on: October 28, 2010, 08:06:55 pm »
too bad you did not test the LeCroy range.
I like the math on the Waverunner. You can link math functions so you can send the input signal true a filter and than filter that signal again or put it in a fft. You can link 4 levels deep.
It also works on the already sampled signals. You do not have to sample the signal again.
The Wave inspector is also a handy feature for finding an artifact in a clock signal quickly in a few meg of samples.

Can the RS do the same?

Does it switch the sample rate down when the timebase is slowed down? I like a Peak detect function that have the ADC's running at full speed and display the min and max value in one line of the screen so you do not miss a spike in the signal.
Why spend money I don't have on things I don't need to impress people I don't like?

Offline saturation

• Super Contributor
  • Doveryai, no proveryai
    • NIST
« Reply #27 on: November 09, 2010, 06:57:55 pm »
a very good story, Hassem, particularly the new pricing offer by Agilent.  Either that's their margin or they really wanted your business. 

Sales of this sort do not get made everyday, so I'm surprised they didn't give you a counteroffer before you paid for the R&S.  It reads like you gear budget is at the same price of a BMW car, and if you can pay that for a scope, your lab is doing work that reads like a market for a lot of more high end stuff.

Well, time to finish the saga that will end up in a review:
... two very annoying things happened:

* Agilent representatives became quite aggressive and started asking me the reason I bought the R&S. They just would not get it. I've supplied them that XLS file I've showed you, and gave them all my reasons. They would not back off. After a million phone calls to my desk, they've offered me a fully configured Agilent 9104 1GHz scope with all the optional extras for half the price (which would be 17,000 dollars). I've said: "Ok, I will accept that, can you turn back time like 5 days? Cause I've already payed Rohde & Schwarz". Well, they better start with a good deal next time. I'm 25 and look like a baby boy, but I'm no sweetheart.

* Tektronix offered me their new product as a Demo, which could happen this year. I was really excited but the price was totally and utterly out of range with the specs I wanted. From the specs (which I absolutely CAN NOT give) It's going to bomb the marked with awesomeness.

Well guys, hope you enjoyed the story. If you have any questions or if you want to flame me for anything, feel free to do it. Expect for a VERY THOROUGH review. I might even take it apart (I have to, to install the MSO when it gets here! I was authorized by R&S to do it yay!)
Best Wishes,

Saturation

Offline saturation

• Super Contributor
  • Doveryai, no proveryai
    • NIST
« Reply #28 on: November 09, 2010, 07:01:01 pm »
I couldnt' afford that then, so I got a Kenwood preassembled, back in the 1980s.  Alas, if you don't power it up now and then, the electrolytics can dry up, and when you do, it'll work for a bit then fizzle.  I was able to use my scope up to 5 years ago, just to peek at output waveforms, it was 20 years old then.  5 years of dormancy, I powered it up 9 months ago and it just went blank.  I could repair it or say, good time to get a Rigol 1052E.

Looks like it exactly, I think!  Did you build it or buy it assembled, it looks in good shape, practically new.

I built it when I was a teenager.  It's in good shape, except for that scratch on the front panel, but
I haven't powered it up in years.  It was nearly impossible to get the graticule aligned with the scope,
because you aligned it with the cover off, and the act of putting the scope back together tweaked the
alignment.  Back in those days my soldering skills weren't the best, but it did work.

We should have a "post your Heathkits thread".  Maybe I'll go start one.

Scott

Best Wishes,

Saturation

Offline tcampbell

« Reply #29 on: June 04, 2013, 06:05:55 pm »
I know the thread is old, but I'm interested to know how the R&S scope has worked out.  Have you had any problems with it or any regrets?

Thanks for the review.

Offline minsik

• Contributor
« Reply #30 on: August 18, 2021, 03:10:51 am »
R&S RTO1012 or RTO1000 series models, has anyone done the windows 7 upgrade to use the latest firmware and has anyone done a SSD conversion yet?
Amazing bit if kit.
Years of working with electronics. Now its just for fun.

Offline TRN

• Supporter
« Reply #31 on: October 12, 2021, 02:41:59 pm »

Share me

Digg  Facebook  SlashDot  Delicious  Technorati  Twitter  Google  Yahoo
Smf