Author Topic: "Safest" solder flux?  (Read 2155 times)

Offline TimNJTopic starter

• Super Contributor
"Safest" solder flux?
« on: May 07, 2018, 07:46:03 pm »
Hi all,

I've been soldering for about 10 years, since I got started with electronics in high school. Now, I solder every day as a practicing EE. Of course, I try not to inhale solder fumes while soldering, but it is somewhat inevitable. Sometimes I get nasty headaches after soldering a lot. I'd like to use a fume extractor, but my current bench setup (at work) is quite cramped.

So, my question is: is there a brand/line of solder that uses flux that is less detrimental to human health? Any ideas on this?

Thanks.

Offline thm_w

• Super Contributor
  • Non-expert
Re: "Safest" solder flux?
« Reply #1 on: May 07, 2018, 09:19:37 pm »
If this is for work, then you need to make it clear to them to supply you with the proper equipment.
An articulated arm type fume extractor is expensive but does not take up any bench space.

Low solids like Kester 951 would likely be the best to avoid particle inhalation, but you are still going to be breathing in ethanol/methanol/isopropyl etc.
https://www.kester.com/downloads/sds
« Last Edit: May 07, 2018, 09:22:49 pm by thm_w »
Profile -> Modify profile -> Look and Layout ->  Don't show users' signatures

Offline TimNJTopic starter

• Super Contributor
Re: "Safest" solder flux?
« Reply #2 on: May 07, 2018, 09:40:52 pm »
If this is for work, then you need to make it clear to them to supply you with the proper equipment.
An articulated arm type fume extractor is expensive but does not take up any bench space.

Low solids like Kester 951 would likely be the best to avoid particle inhalation, but you are still going to be breathing in ethanol/methanol/isopropyl etc.
https://www.kester.com/downloads/sds

Thanks. They did provide me a fume extractor, just I haven't figured out a good way to incorporate it.

Thank you for the suggestion. 951 appears to be a standalone flux. Looking a little bit harder at Kester, it seems that 268 wire solder is perhaps the "healthiest", but seems hard to come by especially in leaded variety.

Share me

Digg  Facebook  SlashDot  Delicious  Technorati  Twitter  Google  Yahoo
Smf