Author Topic: ShineNow T12 Soldering station : calibration and shake sensor  (Read 1692 times)

Offline JMprofondeurTopic starter

ShineNow T12 Soldering station : calibration and shake sensor
« on: September 29, 2022, 04:25:37 pm »
I bought a ShineNow soldering station (copy of the KSGER).

Two issues:

1) I do not understand the calibration process. According to the manual, it is done by going to the Setting 11, 12, 13, 14 or 15 in the Menu (to calibrate for 50°C, 100°C, 200°C, 300°C and 400°C respectively – and note that I have a good multimeter with a thermocouple that I use for this) and follow these instructions:
"Test the soldering tip by soldering thermometer, revolve the knob till the thermometer tested temperature stays in 50°C, adjust the CAL while testing the soldering tip temperature until the tested temperature also is 350°C. Calibrate the unit at 100°C, 200°C, 300°C, 400°C respectively, to see if the deviation is big. (Note: Use factory default calibration parameter when calibrate the unit, set the sleeping time a little longer. The unit is already calibrated when it is out of factory, no need to calibrate for somme time.)"
It's the "adjust the CAL while testing the soldering tip temperature until the tested temperature also is 350°C" part that does not make sens to me... Someone brighter than me understands this?

2: The shake sensor does not seem to work. In the manual, it is written: "CAN'T WAKE UP THE SOLDERING STATION: Check the vibration switch iron with multimeter, it [?] it works, check the connecting cord, disassemble the soldering iron receptacle and check if there is any poor soldering."
I join pictures of the socket soldering on the controller boeard (note the solder blob between pins T12+ and TC+); is it normal?) and the iron handle (note that there's only 4 wire not 5, so one pad is empty; is it normal?).

Thanks!
« Last Edit: September 29, 2022, 05:52:33 pm by JMprofondeur »

Offline thm_w

• Super Contributor
  • Non-expert
Re: ShineNow T12 Soldering station : calibration and shake sensor
« Reply #1 on: September 29, 2022, 08:44:31 pm »
Tilt switch appears to be connected correctly, between Ground (black wire) and Sleep (white wire). Although you could use a multimeter to check that: the wires go where you expect, the switch activates when tapped. You might have to tap the switch on the table to trigger it.

I wouldn't even touch the CAL stuff. Its quite difficult to get an accuracy measurement of tip temperature without a proper thermocouple jig and good technique.
Although, if you want, just set it to 350 and see what sort of reading you get. Make sure to put a lot of solder on the tip (you can watch SDGs videos for how to do it).

The blob makes sense when you look at the wiring diagram of the tip: https://www.eevblog.com/forum/testgear/test-equipment-anonymous-(tea)-group-therapy-thread/?action=dlattach;attach=382087;image
Profile -> Modify profile -> Look and Layout ->  Don't show users' signatures

Offline JMprofondeurTopic starter

« Reply #2 on: September 29, 2022, 09:08:31 pm »
Thanks a lot! I didn't know the thermocouple was in series with the heater. As you suggested, I gave a good shake to the handle and the switch now works. Again, thanks!

Offline AWAIS91119

« Reply #3 on: March 26, 2023, 03:06:07 pm »
adjust the CAL while testing the soldering tip temperature until the tested temperature also is 350°C"

though it is a bit late but still... :P
what i can understand through the statement is
U have to adjust through CAL pot and monitor the temp on the thermometer
the temp display on soldering station will remain 350 and CAL pot will adjust the PWM Frequency to match the actual tip temperature to bring upto 350.
Means it will not change the display to match the actual temperature but it will adjust the tip temp to match the display :-/O

Offline AWAIS91119

« Reply #4 on: March 26, 2023, 03:15:24 pm »

I join pictures of the socket soldering on the controller boeard (note the solder blob between pins T12+ and TC+); is it normal?) and the iron handle (note that there's only 4 wire not 5, so one pad is empty; is it normal?).

Thanks!
There are other types of soldering elements which have separate pin for thermocouple.
this pcb is designed for that perspective. since is is using T12 tip in which thermocouple is in series with the heating element so that's the reason to short the thermocouple pin to +ve of heater. In off state of heater controller will measure the output of thermocouple voltage on same Heater power pins.
and the thermocouple voltage will go to through that bridge to the measuring circuitry.

Share me

Digg  Facebook  SlashDot  Delicious  Technorati  Twitter  Google  Yahoo
Smf