Products > Other Equipment & Products

shitty rack warning

(1/3) > >>

coppercone2:
If you buy a cheap rack, the one that is made out of folded sections, be careful because its basically weak as fuck. I had it loaded with RF and AC equipment for about 4 months now and the underside bowed because it weighed down enough to screw up the metal that the angle aluminum is attached to

https://i.ebayimg.com/images/g/dbMAAOSw9Ydfh4bq/s-l1600.jpg , but I got the tall version and trimmed it a little to fit in the room nicely

I suggest adding reinforcement on the bottom, they do much less then their rated for,

I thought I was stupid for making my own but then I realized my bolts are 4x thicker and it has not deflected half a millimeter in 3 years

now I have the fun of unloading it, bending metal and bolting in big pieces of round stock steel ribbing to make it stronger :palm: . It deploys like a tripod lol

KE5FX:
When it comes to racks, it's E366XA or GTFO.

coppercone2:
maybe with the doors removed, if you actually do something with all those connectors on the back of gear reaching over an open rack is appealing, if you are making a test bench for something in particular its good, and I find myself rearranging the equipment alot

KE5FX:

--- Quote from: coppercone2 on July 16, 2021, 07:48:15 am ---maybe with the doors removed, if you actually do something with all those connectors on the back of gear reaching over an open rack is appealing, if you are making a test bench for something in particular its good, and I find myself rearranging the equipment alot

--- End quote ---

What I do is tell the seller to keep the side panels and the doors, then send it motor freight.  There is no need for the sides and doors in most environments, other than cosmetics, and the rack will weigh quite a bit less without them.  The seller will be happy because they can sell them to a scrap recycler.

Then, you simply leave enough room to squeeze behind the rack when you need to work on something.  It should be possible to get back there -- otherwise you're in real trouble, because you aren't going to move these things once they're full of equipment -- but not comfortable, because otherwise you're wasting floor space.  8)

I have four of these and wish I had room for another.  They are awesome.

coppercone2:
yea I used to lift pretty heavy and their a bitch to move especially on a tile floor when they are fully loaded.

I don't use the screw though, I bought shelves for everything. Anyway it should be OK if I get a 2x 1 inch thick steel rods and thread them to add ribs .. the equipment is way more fun to pay for then the rack but I was able to actually get some cool setups going where I make use of all the 'features' in gear.. designing circuits is actually fun again when I can test design details I am unsure of without making a 'hole in 1'

day 1: rearrange equipment
day 2: use equipment  :-DD

I actually have been sliding it in and out of its hole frequently, kind of want to put a sheet of aluminum on the floor so its not driving over grouted tiles, but I can defiantly use the exercise

I need like two or 3 more lol, the only problem is now sometimes there is so many cables I can't see the equipment or adjust things without disturbing it but I bought another 50 feet of rg400 and 50 connectors and 40 feet of rg316 so I can make a ton of cables of various lengths

there is so much unexplored stuff because normally you can't even access those additional features in typical setups without a complete mess. also the other fun part is polishing like 200 BNC connectors to get em nice.. I found the little 1.1mm nylon brush in a dremel works good for the center pins

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

There was an error while thanking
Thanking...
Go to full version