Products > Other Equipment & Products

Shopping for LCR meter. What is the difference between 100 KHz and 1 KHz test ?

(1/3) > >>

Wartex:
I'm thinking of buying a $460 LCR meter from Tonghui.

http://cgi.ebay.ca/Portable-Handheld-LCR-Meter-100-100KHz-Mini-USB-TH2822C-/330553226395?pt=BI_Electrical_Equipment_Tools&hash=item4cf681f49b

Total noob here, what is the difference between 100 KHz and 10 KHz test mode? I understand capacitors and inductors will behave differently under different frequencies? Dave mentions that "100 KHz" is the industry standard yet there are tons of LCR that go into megahertz range. Also, the BK and Agilent he showed are 10 KHz max models. So, what's the difference and why should I care?

nukie:
Different Henry/Farad values at different frequency. So in order to match your operating frequency of the circuit you are working with.

vk6zgo:

--- Quote from: nukie on May 17, 2011, 02:04:02 am ---Different Henry/Farad values at different frequency. So in order to match your operating frequency of the circuit you are working with.

--- End quote ---

Close ,but no cigar!

The lower frequency test is less likely to show up any stray reactances which may modify the effective value of the

component.

Also,if the thing tests for"Q",a lower frequency may give misleading results  for low values of L & C.

100KHz is a compromise,like many things in Electronics (& life),higher frequencies would be more appropriate if you

are doing a lot of RF work,but are more expensive to provide in inexpensive instruments.

VK6ZGO

Psi:
i believe that's what he said.

vk6zgo:

--- Quote from: Psi on May 17, 2011, 04:10:30 am ---i believe that's what he said.

--- End quote ---

Not quite,it might be what he meant, but it read as if different instruments were necessary if the final product is to be used in different frequency ranges.
Although the lower frequency unit may  have some problems testing components for HF use,the HF unit will be perfectly satisfactory
 testing components for LF use.
My point was,that 100kHz is a compromise,& in the real world,we very seldom have the ideal instrument available.

VK6ZGO

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

There was an error while thanking
Thanking...
Go to full version