Author Topic: SILVER EPOXY  (Read 777 times)

Offline abcdzyxw1234Topic starter

SILVER EPOXY
« on: January 22, 2024, 12:33:56 am »
Hi,
      I need to connect carbon fiber rope and electrical wire together. The connection need to be both physically and electrically strong. It's recommend to use silver epoxy ... cost around 100 USD

MG Chemicals 8331D Silver Conductive Epoxy Adhesive

Is there a cheaper alternative ?

Thanks

Offline Zoli

• Frequent Contributor
  • Grumpy old men
Re: SILVER EPOXY
« Reply #1 on: January 22, 2024, 12:44:53 am »
Crimped ferrule?

The following users thanked this post: abcdzyxw1234

Offline Stray Electron

• Super Contributor
« Reply #2 on: January 22, 2024, 01:09:32 am »
  I tried a couple of brands of silver loaded epoxy about 15 or 20 years ago and I was VERY unimpressed.  It costs about $30 for very small tube (1/2 ounce or so) and it was only slightly conductive.  It would not work to repair circuit traces and I ended up having to solder in very fine wires to replace damaged circuit traces.   I would try a lineman's splice or other STRONG spliced joint to do what you want.

YMMV.

« Reply #3 on: January 22, 2024, 01:25:00 pm »
make a try thanks

« Reply #4 on: January 22, 2024, 01:26:17 pm »
Someone suggest a crimp ferrule !!  Seems good idea

Offline Stray Electron

• Super Contributor
« Reply #5 on: January 22, 2024, 02:39:37 pm »
  I think that the problem with a crimp is going to be that it will a stress riser and if you put much tension of the wires that the weaker one will eventually break right at the ferrule. 

I couldn't think of the name last night but you could also try using a Sheet Bend knot.  That is the preferred way to tie two ropes, aka flexible lines, of different sizes together.  A Line Man's Splice is good where you have equal size lines and the lines are non-stranded metal wires which can be bend and will hold their shape but with a flexible materiel like your carbon fiber rope, I think the Sheet Bend will work better. The other good thing about the Sheet Bend is that there are six spots where the different lines bear against each other instead of just one so there should be less wear on each line.

Offline thm_w

• Super Contributor
  • Non-expert
« Reply #6 on: January 22, 2024, 10:07:48 pm »
Crimped ferrule?

This is what heated gloves do: carbon fiber heating filament crimped to a normal wire. If the crimp is properly done it lasts a long time.
Profile -> Modify profile -> Look and Layout ->  Don't show users' signatures

Share me

Digg  Facebook  SlashDot  Delicious  Technorati  Twitter  Google  Yahoo
Smf