Author Topic: Small size reflow hot plates  (Read 2961 times)

Offline 123rolleTopic starter

• Contributor
Small size reflow hot plates
« on: May 14, 2022, 02:09:59 pm »
Im looking for a small hot plate for SMD soldering. For PCBs size of arduino nano etc.. These are some I have found and would like to hear if some of these are "stay away" products or real good for the value:

MECHANIC ET-10

UYUE 946-1010

V-1010

Kaisi 818

And more expensive
MHP30

Based on youtube reviews these can be quite handy and not all gimmick stuff... I would be getting one for small DIY projects because someone like jlcpcb doesn't have ICs on stock which I would be using.
« Last Edit: May 14, 2022, 02:38:14 pm by 123rolle »

Offline DIYGUY Chris

• Contributor
Re: Small size reflow hot plates
« Reply #1 on: May 15, 2022, 01:05:54 pm »
Basically all the products that you have listed are quite the same, I will tell you my opinion about the UYUE one since I'm running with a UYUE 948S+ model, it says that these hot-plates could reach up to 350 degrees but unfortunately it is not true, it stops at around 215 degrees Celsius so you need to consider buying a low temperature solder paste if you are willing to use one of these models, I recommend the solder paste SMDLTLFP10T5 By CHIPQUIK
You can check the demonstration through my official Instagram (here is an example : https://www.instagram.com/reel/CdXyoetuw5A/?utm_source=ig_web_copy_link)
About the JLCPCB missing parts, you can source the components from external suppliers and get them assembled by JLC

Cheers

The following users thanked this post: 123rolle

• Contributor
« Reply #2 on: May 15, 2022, 03:39:23 pm »
Do you mean even if you set it at 350C the temp doesn't go higher than about 215? Or that it is software limited to 215?

Offline bateau020

• Regular Contributor
« Reply #3 on: May 16, 2022, 07:11:10 pm »
If you hesitate about the first devices you mentioned, the MHP30 is a very nice but also very small device. Easy to use, and there is open source firmware for it (see https://github.com/Ralim/IronOS/issues/822), but I never tested that.
You must however not underestimate ambient air flow. Just tested my MHP30: at the 300C setting, you easily get a 30 degree difference between the temperature the device thinks it is and the surface temp of the PCB on top of it, especially when you provoke airflow around it with a fan or an open window. Compensate for that, and why not combine the hot plate with a hot air gun. Plate for preheat, air gun for the soldering.
« Last Edit: May 18, 2022, 10:05:59 am by bateau020 »

The following users thanked this post: 123rolle

Offline DIYGUY Chris

• Contributor
« Reply #4 on: May 17, 2022, 10:01:00 pm »
Software limited

• Contributor
« Reply #5 on: May 18, 2022, 10:01:07 am »
Maybe your device works differently? Have you adjusted the temps or just used presets?

https://youtu.be/WX4q3jqESyc?t=260
In this video atleast it can be adjusted to over 300.

Offline hanabi

« Reply #6 on: June 20, 2022, 03:35:55 pm »
I purchased one of these in March from YKEY, it worked fine, I built about 6 boards with it, including some QFN and other hard to solder parts. It worked fine. Went to make another one and the unit reports "hot plate missing". I checked continuity and there is no connection on the heater. 100 ohms I presume to be a temp sensor. The heater plate is detachable, cleaned pins, nothing. I cannot find the plug in hot plate sold as a unit, only the complete system. Seems expensive for 6 boards and I am out of the 90 day warranty. Any advice? Anyone else have this trouble?

Offline jhoffman

• Contributor
« Reply #7 on: June 12, 2023, 05:07:45 pm »
"DIYGUY Chris" is located in the USA, so he is using a 110V hot plate. You are in Europe so you will be using a 230V hot plate. This information in itself should cause you to question the validity of "DIYGUY Chris" opinion.

The following users thanked this post: McCarthy

Offline artag

• Super Contributor
« Reply #8 on: June 12, 2023, 05:15:15 pm »
I have an MHP30 and like it. Sometimes I wish it were a little bigger.

Recently my USB 3 power supply broke and I had to run it off a less capable one that would only go to 12V. Using that, the MHP30 struggled to get much above 200 and I only got it to work by putting a windbreak around it to stop draughts. 

I would recommend using at least a 65W power supply at 19V and preventing any airflow over it.
With my normal usage - 65W power supply, room fan off  - it works well for small boards or with larger ones moved around to relocate the hotspot.

As with my other miniware soldering product, a TS100, it could do with displaying the temperature during cooling though the MHP30 tries to improve that indication with a coloured LED. I don't know what they've got against showing the actual temperature. There is replacement open source software available which may be better.

I think the OLED display might have dimmed recently. It happened quite suddenly and is also a problem that I had with the soldering iron. I was able to replace it fairly easily but it suggests they overdrive the display.

That does sound like a bit of a litany of faults. Maybe I need to rethink.

« Last Edit: June 12, 2023, 05:21:51 pm by artag »

Offline thm_w

• Super Contributor
  • Non-expert
« Reply #9 on: June 12, 2023, 09:14:16 pm »
Profile -> Modify profile -> Look and Layout ->  Don't show users' signatures

Offline Jamie_A

• Contributor
« Reply #10 on: June 13, 2023, 03:32:13 pm »
I would highly discourage buying the "MHP30 copy" above.

I bought one and there was a bug in the firmware for temp sense. Kept loosing temperature control and pegging the heater at max power. Also the screws are not countersunk, so if your board is bigger then ~3cm it will be lifted off the heater.

The following users thanked this post: thm_w, edavid

Offline thm_w

• Super Contributor
  • Non-expert
« Reply #11 on: June 13, 2023, 08:58:14 pm »
I would highly discourage buying the "MHP30 copy" above.

I bought one and there was a bug in the firmware for temp sense. Kept loosing temperature control and pegging the heater at max power. Also the screws are not countersunk, so if your board is bigger then ~3cm it will be lifted off the heater.

Was it reading the wrong temp (eg sensor loose or damaged)? Or directly some software bug. Interesting.

Offline dobsonr741

• Frequent Contributor
« Reply #12 on: June 14, 2023, 12:27:19 am »
I have an ET-10. Reaches 100C in 1.5 minutes and 265C at the 5 min mark. Did some SAC305 QFN tests and it worked as expected. The 3 points are good. Cooling is slow, I’d rather take the board off to cool down.

Offline thm_w

• Super Contributor
  • Non-expert
« Reply #13 on: June 19, 2023, 09:50:51 pm »
More of a pre-heater than a reflow plate as temp only goes up to 260C, but, funny enough to post here.

I2C T20 AI Intelligent Desoldering Station For iPhone X-14PM Mobile Phone Motherboard Separation And Fit Repair Tool - $40
https://www.aliexpress.us/item/1005005600998308.html

It has plate for various iphone boards as well as a flat plate for generic boards.
« Last Edit: June 19, 2023, 09:52:30 pm by thm_w »

Share me

Digg  Facebook  SlashDot  Delicious  Technorati  Twitter  Google  Yahoo
Smf