Author Topic: Industrial 532nm 2000 mW laser for cutting/engraving  (Read 1079 times)

Offline D4no0Topic starter

• Contributor
Industrial 532nm 2000 mW laser for cutting/engraving
« on: May 18, 2020, 02:20:27 pm »
I got my hands on a https://www.ebay.de/itm/Industrial-532nm-2000mW-Green-Laser-Module-w-TEC-Cooling-Analogue-Modulation-/263356269827 .

I would like to use it for engraving and cutting material like plywood. The link I posted is the closest I could find, since the one I have is used and unlabeled.

First I would like to know if 2000 mW are enough to cut, for example 4cm plywood?

Second thing is that I would like to measure the power output, I was thinking about measuring the current usage and correlate with average efficiency of such laser diodes, would that be correct or there are another things to take into consideration?

Offline Gyro

• Super Contributor
Re: Industrial 532nm 2000 mW laser for cutting/engraving
« Reply #1 on: May 18, 2020, 02:55:42 pm »
I don't think you are going to manage to do more than darken the surface of the plywood with a 2W laser.
Best Regards, Chris

Offline LaserSteve

• Super Contributor
« Reply #2 on: May 18, 2020, 03:06:00 pm »
I hate to break your heart, but 2 Watts of Green tightly focused will give just the ability to burn the surface.

Thick wood is very, very,  difficult to laser cut.  Much deeper then 7-8 mm requires enormous power levels and massive amounts of assist gas.

180 Watts of Far Infrared Co2 is useful for the fast cutting of 1/4th Inch (6.25 mm) plywood, but the absolute practical limit for wood is about 10 mm in the under 500 watt class.

It is very, very, difficult to go deep in fibrous organics.  The amount of smoke produced is enormous.  Vaporizing the resulting carbon char is difficult.  The gas cloud formed in the cut gets very adsorptive, too.  The edges of the finished product are discolored too.

I've been there, done that...

Steve

« Last Edit: May 18, 2020, 03:14:14 pm by LaserSteve »
"What the devil kind of Engineer are thou, that canst not slay a hedgehog with your naked arse?"

Offline D4no0Topic starter

• Contributor
« Reply #3 on: May 18, 2020, 05:25:48 pm »
I see.

Then what do you think, is it possible to change diode for a more powerful one, since judging from the power supply and diode housing it should be able to handle higher power.
Also maybe it can be tweaked, the controller board has some potentiometers, however I'm not sure what is their usage, I tried to tweak them, however without changes to intensity of the laser. I tried to search for the board number, didn't find anything.

Offline Tarloth

• Regular Contributor
« Reply #4 on: May 19, 2020, 04:50:28 am »
As LaserSteve said, diodes power are weak to cut anything than paper or other very thin films. A 80 watt Co2 Laser is used to cut a reasonable speed (not fast but usable) 3mm of MDF, some 5 mm acrilic or something similar, even 80 watts isn't enought for most of the tasks, only do a few.  Sorry, but I not know any Laser LED buyable at usual channels capable of cut anything than thin films of paper of some plastics.

Share me

Digg  Facebook  SlashDot  Delicious  Technorati  Twitter  Google  Yahoo
Smf