Author Topic: Solder paste/flux manual syringe applicator  (Read 139808 times)

Offline mike_58

• Regular Contributor
  • LEGO playground
Re: Solder paste/flux manual syringe applicator
« Reply #150 on: October 11, 2015, 05:42:34 pm »
I do it my way:

Offline mike_58

• Regular Contributor
  • LEGO playground
« Reply #151 on: October 11, 2015, 06:14:44 pm »
and than I fry my PCB's in my TFT Teensy 3.1 controlled Toy:

Just for fun and joy...

Offline zapta

• Super Contributor
« Reply #152 on: October 11, 2015, 06:18:33 pm »
What flux are you using with it?

I tried MG Chemicals 835 but it's too sticky and clogged the head. Then I tried Kester 951 which is thinner and non sticky but doesn't wet as well as the 835.

So far, the best results I got were with the 835 and a small plastic bottle with a thin needle.
I use both Kester 186 & 1544 in both the brush pen and a needle bottle.

Regarding the MG Chemicals 835, try thinning it out just a bit with some alcohol (or acetone; may have to do this from time to time due to evaporation).

Thanks, I will try these options.

Offline mike_58

• Regular Contributor
  • LEGO playground
« Reply #153 on: October 11, 2015, 06:21:52 pm »
Hair Straightener - used as Hot Plate for reflow soldering of 0.4mm pitch socket -hard  to see- using micrpskope to do  the video:

Narrow pitch Panasonic socket A4S Series, (0.4mm pitch), Recommended for board-to-FPC connections of mobile equipment, such as cellular phones, smart phones, laptops, portable music players...

It can be done!

Offline mike_58

• Regular Contributor
  • LEGO playground
« Reply #154 on: October 11, 2015, 06:33:46 pm »

What flux are you using with it?

I tried MG Chemicals 835 but it's too sticky and clogged the head. Then I tried Kester 951 which is thinner and non sticky but doesn't wet as well as the 835.

I used LOCTITE RA 10 SN62BAS86 8K  knwn as well as SN62RA10BAS86LDU 25G CART for video, but in other videos I used earlier I had Chinese paste + paste out of Jar.. Sn63/P37 is the most used cheep stuff ..
As well ALPHA CL-78 (62Sn/36Pb 2Ag.... ) I test all without pre-heating... no problems..

Offline zapta

• Super Contributor
« Reply #155 on: October 12, 2015, 02:46:56 am »
and than I fry my PCB's in my TFT Teensy 3.1 controlled Toy:

Just for fun and joy...

That's a very nice setup. The touch screen shows an image of a PCB, is it the one inside? Where did you place the camera?

Offline mike_58

• Regular Contributor
  • LEGO playground
« Reply #156 on: October 12, 2015, 06:10:26 am »
Holding iPhone in my hand, all video I do with iPhone, easy to send to You Tube and Avto converting to Web.
Only above video of 0.4 connector was done with TopView software and zoom lens...

Offline mike_58

• Regular Contributor
  • LEGO playground
« Reply #157 on: October 12, 2015, 05:59:47 pm »

You might need to re-calculate your dispenser output from needle tip / see table enclosed of min-max discharge at xx um :

You can see some more needles I used for test on my YouTube for reference: https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCbk02zm_kFNXvGvHPFDOEZw?view_as=public

I could add a speed adjustment trimmer on my dispenser -but I see no need, for now..

BR
Mike
« Last Edit: October 13, 2015, 07:25:55 am by mike_58 »

Offline 0xdeadbeef

• Super Contributor
« Reply #158 on: October 12, 2015, 06:30:19 pm »
That's a very nice setup. The touch screen shows an image of a PCB, is it the one inside? Where did you place the camera?
My understanding is that this is just a static pic of some PCB and has nothing to do with the PCB in the oven. There a temperature curves drawn on top of that background which is nice and all, but the whole touchscreen thing seems to be a bit of a gimmick.
Trying is the first step towards failure - Homer J. Simpson

Offline mike_58

• Regular Contributor
  • LEGO playground
« Reply #159 on: October 12, 2015, 07:13:37 pm »
Correct - just a background of graph image - not the screen shot of PCB which is in reflow...
Sorry I did not read the complete question..,

Offline zapta

• Super Contributor
« Reply #160 on: October 12, 2015, 09:56:26 pm »
I made last weekend my first PCB with the motorized dispenser and it worked quiet well. I used T5 paste and a very thin needed. The board was of another motorized dispenser.

The dispenser I used.

The PCB after applying the solder paste.

The working PCB after reflowing in an oven and cleaning. No rework whatsoever. In retrospect I should have place more paste, some of the solder joints seem to be low on solder. Will remember it next time.

Offline mike_58

• Regular Contributor
  • LEGO playground
« Reply #161 on: October 13, 2015, 07:41:39 am »
Zapta?
How do you use this two "Push" and "Pull" buttons while applying paste and holding dispenser with one hand?
Can you shoot a Video in near future to see your toy in action?

Offline neslekkim

• Super Contributor
« Reply #162 on: October 13, 2015, 08:32:21 am »
I made last weekend my first PCB with the motorized dispenser and it worked quiet well. I used T5 paste and a very thin needed. The board was of another motorized dispenser.

Where did you get the boards made?, I tried to upload the zipfile from your github to OshPark, but it didn't like it, complained about an missing outline file, got this log:

Note: Processing paste_injector_gerbers_20151010_01.zip as generic ZIP file
Failed: I can't find a board outline file.

I thought it was osh based on the color of your board ;)

Offline zapta

• Super Contributor
« Reply #163 on: October 13, 2015, 10:26:33 am »
Zapta?
How do you use this two "Push" and "Pull" buttons while applying paste and holding dispenser with one hand?
Can you shoot a Video in near future to see your toy in action?

I use two hands. That's why taking videos is difficult. :)

One controls the needle and the other controls the button.
« Last Edit: October 13, 2015, 10:44:45 am by zapta »

Offline zapta

• Super Contributor
« Reply #164 on: October 13, 2015, 10:41:30 am »

Where did you get the boards made?, I tried to upload the zipfile from your github to OshPark, but it didn't like it, complained about an missing outline file, got this log:

Note: Processing paste_injector_gerbers_20151010_01.zip as generic ZIP file
Failed: I can't find a board outline file.

I thought it was osh based on the color of your board ;)

I ordered the boards in the picture from oshpark by uploading the eagle .brd file.

I then modified the design and ordered from elecrow using the .zip file, still waiting for it.

The new design is identical to the old one but has different placement for better ergonomic. For example, the Push Button is on the  center line of the syringe for better stability.

The github repository also contains the binary image that include the bootloader and the program. You need to program it via the ISP pads (I am using pogo pins adapter from sparkfun).

Once you programs the bootloader, if you want also to modify the program using the arduino IDE, you need to solder a the ftdi header and use a sparkfun FTDI Basic adapter or similar. The board looks to the IDE as an Arduion Mini Pro.

Offline neslekkim

• Super Contributor
« Reply #165 on: October 13, 2015, 11:26:25 am »
I ordered the boards in the picture from oshpark by uploading the eagle .brd file.

Oh, I can upload brd files directly?

Offline zapta

• Super Contributor
« Reply #166 on: October 13, 2015, 01:16:33 pm »

To oshpark, yes. This is how I always order from them. 

Offline neslekkim

• Super Contributor
« Reply #167 on: October 13, 2015, 02:21:39 pm »
To oshpark, yes. This is how I always order from them.

It worked very fine, much better experience than when I ordered from seeedstudio, also very nice to get an render of everything.

Offline zapta

• Super Contributor
« Reply #168 on: October 15, 2015, 04:23:50 am »
Mike, just watched your "Smaller needle paste application 5V USB" video (love the music).

Like you, I also kind of tap the needle against the pad to get the pad stick. However, I found that I get better results if the end of the needle is flat against the PCB. That is, with a straight needle I hold the syringe vertical against the board.

Offline zapta

• Super Contributor
« Reply #169 on: October 15, 2015, 04:43:02 am »
Just stumbled upon this video. It's a DIY air pressure based solder paste applicator (no vacuum). It works very well, much faster and well defined drop than my motorized dispenser.

Offline mike_58

• Regular Contributor
  • LEGO playground
« Reply #170 on: October 16, 2015, 07:46:29 pm »

The dispenser I used.

The PCB after applying the solder paste.

Zapta - you may want to add this 2 Key Matrix DIY Flat Membrane Switch Control Keypad http://www.ebay.com/itm/20-x40-DC-12V-1x2-2-Key-Matrix-DIY-Flat-Membrane-Switch-Control-Keypad-/271967984386?hash=item3f528e1b02:g:OssAAOSwxH1UGp9W to your toy ??   
and invite me for a drink !?

Offline mike_58

• Regular Contributor
  • LEGO playground
« Reply #171 on: October 17, 2015, 06:05:39 pm »
Looking at your PCB - and Eagle .sch/brd file seams polarity is swapped in respect to standard USB cable connection? 

Offline zapta

• Super Contributor
« Reply #172 on: October 18, 2015, 04:04:53 pm »

Zapta - you may want to add this 2 Key Matrix DIY Flat Membrane Switch Control Keypad http://www.ebay.com/itm/20-x40-DC-12V-1x2-2-Key-Matrix-DIY-Flat-Membrane-Switch-Control-Keypad-/271967984386?hash=item3f528e1b02:g:OssAAOSwxH1UGp9W to your toy ??   
and invite me for a drink !?

Thanks Mike, I actually like having the button away from the tip, for better stability. Did something similar with my vacuums manual pick and place, I control it with a pedal rather than a release hole near the tip.

Offline zapta

• Super Contributor
« Reply #173 on: October 18, 2015, 04:07:54 pm »
Looking at your PCB - and Eagle .sch/brd file seams polarity is swapped in respect to standard USB cable connection?

The polarity and the footprint should match the USB connector listed in the BOM. If it doesn't, please let me know.  USB connectors comes with two 'polarities' or order of of the SMD pads.

https://github.com/zapta/misc/blob/master/paste_injector/eagle/paste_injector_bom.csv

Offline mike_58

• Regular Contributor
  • LEGO playground
« Reply #174 on: October 18, 2015, 05:07:31 pm »

The polarity and the footprint should match the USB connector listed in the BOM. If it doesn't, please let me know.  USB connectors comes with two 'polarities' or order of of the SMD pads.

https://github.com/zapta/misc/blob/master/paste_injector/eagle/paste_injector_bom.csv
Dear Zapta,
Polarity of USB cable  is standard one.
Where did you pick  up Eagle Cad library file - for this USB connector on your PCB????  I checked with MOLLEX and to me it seams wrong - Micro USB connector   (J1   H11611CT-ND   ZX62RD-AB-5P8)    the pads should be  swapped.
See enclosed Eagle Cad - power is highlighted on screenshot enclosed. 

Share me

Digg  Facebook  SlashDot  Delicious  Technorati  Twitter  Google  Yahoo
Smf